I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Welcome to i-bmw! > Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a pic of you and your bike (optional)!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:41 AM
Entering the on-ramp

New from Georgia

Hey yíall!
Iím almost an owner🙄
A friend has a 2003 k1200 rs. Heís been trying to sell for quite a wile...gorgeous bike and Iím already in love with it. He let a rookie service the bike now the front brakes are not working properly. I went to pick up the bike yesterday and we couldnít get the thing today start. New battery (4 months old)
Never could get it to start. Lights and everything works when you switch the ignition on but the starter donít even click. 3 hours to the nearest dealership/mechanic, so Iíll have to do all my own wrenching. Good times ahead !!!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,003 Times in 371 Posts

Re: New from Georgia

You live in an interesting place Mike. I'm from N. Georgia and didn't really appreciate some of the great dirt road riding you have down there but dang, you're pretty far from some fun twisties on the KS. I guess over the Pine Mountain near Callaway? I spend a fair bit of time returning to N. Georgia to ride and it wouldn't be a bad ride to come up into the hills there.

Good luck with the KS and hope you get it running properly.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:28 AM
ōZNAM
Thanked 1,935 Times in 1,429 Posts

Welcome Mike, I hope you get the bike sorted out.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 AM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Don't give up it will be worth it
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 07-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,826 Times in 2,818 Posts

Welcome to the site.

As for the non-starting issue, I'd look first at the micro switch on the side stand - it may be faulty letting the bike think the stand is deployed when its not. As for the brakes, with an '03 the bike is equipped with the servo motor assisted "i-ABS" - and if the servo ABS unit has failed, its a big problem because as far as I know no one in the US is rebuilding them, although I do understand there is a place in Germany that does repair them. A new unit would cost about what the bike is worth. There are ways to by pass the ABS unit that provide options. Much of this has been discussed, and can be found with the "search" feature in the tech forum, here http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM
Entering the on-ramp

New.... almost an owner

Hey yíall, new from Georgia..still trying to figure out how to post 😂. Iím lookin to buy a 2003 k1200 rs. This bike has some issues. The previous owner let a rookie attempt to bleed the systems and it was a fail. Everything worked till he got it back but now the front brakes donít function properly.
I went to pick up the bike yesterday and it wouldnít start. Horn blew all the lights worked fuel pump engaged (I think thatís what the noise was) hit the start button nothing. Not even a click from the starter. Iíll have to admit Iím a little spooked now but itís a gorgeous bike and I still want it. Any thoughts ont the starter issues? I can do the servi later I just need to get it running! Good times ahead 😬
Old 07-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,279 Times in 2,159 Posts

Re: New.... almost an owner

Try starting in neutral with the side stand up. There is a sensor in the side stand that prevents the bike from starting when it is down.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...Ē
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 07-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for the replies..I donít appreciate the dirt roads down here either. I do love N Ga. though. Itís mandatory to bring a fiddle and a fly rod when I go that way😀
Iíll try the kick stand, thatís a good place to look. I checked everything but that
I hope it works out that bike is a beauty!!!
Old 07-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,432 Times in 3,152 Posts

Mike:

Welcome to the site.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post: