I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Shooting the gap

K1300R control arm bridge on a S ?

Hi!

Newbie here from Sweden. best begin with an apology for my english, hope i can make myself understood.

I have been searching around looking for information on different handlebar risers regarding the height differences and angles, best would be pictures from the side but things are scarse. also which ones need other parts replacing and so on if fitted.

Lately i had the idea that it might be possible to install the control arm bridge from an R-bike to the S ?
Would this be possible without changing clutch lines and throttle cables?
Will the handlebars be further back than stock S control arm bridge?
Any difference in height between them?
Will the S handlebars fit in the R control arm bridge?

I am looking for the most stock/factory like apperance at the lowest cost, astethics are important to me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:02 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,262 Times in 561 Posts

Re: K1300R control arm bridge on a S ?

Mattias

Firstly, hello and welcome to the site.

I need to get some pictures together of both the R and S to see if I can give you an answer. In the meantime someone may well come along who already knows the answer to your question.
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Twisted Wrister

Welcome.

I have had a K1300R steering bridge installed on a K1300S I owned. I had to rearrange the zip ties on the cables to gain a minor amount of slack, otherwise the installation was painless. The security screws that hold the ignition switch assembly in the bridge have to be removed with a special tool or by the gorilla technique. The handle bars interchanged as I recall. This change gives a slight rise, increase in width, and a slight increase in the sweep back. There is no clearance problem. Helibars give a somewhat similar result but there are geometry differences. I did not try installing Helibars in the K1300R bridge when installed on the K1300S.

Wunderlich has a replacement bridge that allows the bar risers to be adjusted fore and aft. This uses Rizoma conventional handle bars so you can select the length, rise and pull-back you want by selection of the style bars you like. It is expensive. There was another marketer of a kit somewhat similar to this as well.

Unfortunately the expense and effort does not allow much experimentation. Hopefully you can ride a cycle with one or more of these modifications to decide.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 02-12-2018, 03:57 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,182 Posts

Welcome to the site. You already have found the information gold mine. Wish my Swedish was as good as your English. All my foreign language brain cells died long ago.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 02-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Shooting the gap

A conversion for conventional style handlebar is too pricey and not even an option.
It looks like helibars 20mm rise and 13mm rear is just over 200$.
A k13r bridge is about 180$ for second hand part, new i dot even want to know.
The mv verholen are depending on model from 200$ and up as some of the higher ones require new lines and cables.
But doing trial and error will also add up to big numbers so information is key before breaking the piggy..

The stock setup makes it a bit too long stretch for my short arms and i end up putting a lot of weight on my wrist's, this also hinders turning somewhat at lower speeds as i need too stretch even further.

I think i would like max 20mm up and 20-30mm back, but is that even possible without needing new line's and cables ?

Most important is to get the bars moved back to take away the strain on the wrist and not have to lean and stretch forward as much.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,182 Posts

Be thinking about holding yourself up with your back, thighs and stomach muscles. If you feel weight on your wrists, it is a reminder to use your body to hold you up. Or, keep the bike speed up over 110 Kph for the wind blast. You should be able to "relax" and not be griping the bike hard with hands and wrists.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Shooting the gap

Thing is that i have to lean forward som much to reach the grips that i i have the tankbag on it get crushed under my chest. (Abnormally short arms?)
Its hard to keep the weight off my wrist then, it comes as a natural reaction too relax the body.
So i would like the bars moved back to get the upper body in a more natural relaxed position and not have keep my arms dead straight.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Twisted Wrister

If your arm length problems are that severe, based on having had both the Helibars and a K1300R bridge, you will not get the relief you are seeking. I cannot speak to the possibility of combining the two. The steering head on my HP uses conventional handle bars and is adjustable so as to allow the bar mounts to be moved aft. The factory hoses are too short, so those hoses fasten to the bridge and short hoses go from the controls to the bridge where the stock hoses are connected. The riding position is very much like an upright configuration and additional leverage is gained by the wider bars. I am sure that one could pick handle bars that would closely match your desired position, lower or higher, forward or back. However, clearance of the faring and / or windshield might be a problem with bars too far from the normally supplied bars. Try a search. I recall photos and descriptions of all these options. I don't see any cheap way to solve this problem if you are having this much trouble. Good luck.

Make sure you have the low seat. Lowering your seat an inch is the same as raising the grip height an inch. Another option is a custom seat that moves you forward on the cycle. Same concept, an inch forward in the seat is like moving the bars back an inch.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 04-19-2018, 01:18 AM
Shooting the gap

Turns out there are a couple of guy's in Sweden that has done just this conversion before me.
Asked around on a swedish Bmw owners club but got nothing, until yesterday when i had mail from 2 people with pictures.

They where both very happy and it made a big difference, being original parts it looks good and has the benefit of not needing anymore than the controlarm bridge and 2 new bolts for the ignitionbarrel.
Cost comes in at just under the price of helibars, found a used controlarm in germany.

Thread in Swedish but i thought pics would be nice for others to see.
http://www.bmwklubben.se/forum/viewt...?f=219&t=23200

Got some extra in the mail from one guy.
The S controlarm.

The R controlarm after rebuild.