I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Born to ride

Angry What a POS!

I thought (hoped?) that my problems with this fine piece of German design and craftsmanship were over since I just got back from a 2,600 mile trip with no problems. Even the gas gauge worked!

I just took out the other garbage and noticed a small pool of oil that appeared to come from the lowest part of the rear suspension linkage just behind the center stand. No time to check it out now as we are heading out to dinner with friends. Had planned a ride with Theresa next week but looks like that aint' gonna happen.

Some of you know that this bike has been a pile of crap from day one. I think I was the charter member in the "cam chain slip" club. Four air boxes, two ECU's, front ball joint, broken valve retainer requiring a top end rebuild... Some things never change!

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: What a POS!

I feel your pain. See my topic named "What happened to BMW quality?"
Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,405 Times in 3,136 Posts

Murray:

First there is no excuse for poor workmanship. I have had my share of problems with BMW motorcycles.

In the back of my head I know I'm not a stupid person for continuing to purchase BMW's. What I just can't get away from is this - when they are running correctly - they are darn near perfect. Of course we should not have some of these problems but for me - I have been able to overcome the thought of moving onto something different - because I like the uniqueness of the brand - I like the technology when it all works.

And I have a dealer that goes to bat for me with BMW - it may take a little work to get BMW to do the right thing but in the end so far it has all worked out.

I will admit you have way more patience than I do - I like the brand - but after a few big issues - I don't like the bike that much I move it out and replace it.

Last year after my K1300S's starter sprag clutch went - so did the bike.

Hang in there - hope you get your bike squared away.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-25-2015, 07:47 AM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
...I like the technology when it all works.

I, personally, find all that technology off putting.

A while back, after a particularly nice ride, I tried to summarize my feelings here:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35129

Still have the little Buell, it still evokes the same feelings and has so far been pretty darn reliable.

Different strokes!

Oh, and K Flyer, condolences and I feel your pain. Hope it's something minor.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Site Contributor

IMO BMW has lost its way...TOTALLY!

In 1981 BMW put an ear to ear grin on my face by backing their product with a 5 year UN-limited mileage warranty. In 1996 they dropped it to 3 years 36K miles and I saw the handwriting on the wall(especially when a friend's shiny new boxer needed several sets of head gaskets until my friend finally gave up on it and unloaded it for a Honda Valkyrie.

IMO the slant-4 K was their last truly innovative motorcycle, and Telelever, Duo-lever and Paralever their last truly practical innovations. But the supplied K1200 tool kit consisting of simply a single changeable head screwdriver while the bike wore only Torx bits and a 22mm female Hex front axle again proved a disturbing harbinger. The K1600 made every consumer an alpha/beta tester, and the S1 platform although arguably refined is still a decades old Japanese design ostensibly gilded with expensive electronic gizmos NO-ONE is going to replace after the 3year warranty is up.

The corporate bean-counters may be keeping the shareholders happy; but they're doing so by betraying the reputation and trust earned by 70 years of consumer satisfaction. How long the millennials and those mainly concerned with trends and poser braggadocio will suffer this substandard quality control is to be seen. But if the shareholders want to see continued, consistent profits the bean-counters better soon change their ethos and start again thinking of the humble consumer's investment. Or there may soon no longer be consumers for their investors product.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:02 AM

BMW motorcycles follows the same strategy as its cars: leading edge technology, especially in electronics and suspension. Problem is in a number of recent instances, inferior supplier parts led to breakdowns. Consumer Reports polled more than 4,000 motorcycle owners and found nearly one in three BMW owners reported a “major problem” in the previous four years. I'm riding what will likely be my last BMW. The price of ownership isn't worth the headaches.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,213 Times in 2,119 Posts

I'll give you $500 for that piece of shit. And I'll let you ride my badass KTM for hours of dirty pleasure. I'm a giver.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

that's a problem....

I thought about it too... I have a K12R that is a study on un-reliability. It's an immense ^$%$# nightmare (just last week, starting pouring fuel... haven't looked at it yet).
The only thing that remains from the original bike is the frame and airbox. Everything else has been replaced.

However....

BMW is actually better than the other Euro marques. So, think about that.
You wanna trade BMW's headaches for new KTM/Ducati/Triumph (name your pain) troubles?

You'd be only switching logos on your problems.

Or you can go Japanese. That'd be the end of most problems.

Right now, I'm sticking for a while with BMW bikes that I know have less problems. Boxers and bricks.
I'll stay away from slanted engines, and no six cylinder is the horizon, like for... EVER.

Like BruceV said, when they work... there's nothing like them.

Find a good dealer, or become a decent mechanic.

Enjoy your riding when you can. Wrench away when you have to.
BMW R1200GS 2008
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
BMW K1200S 2007 (in my stable, we'll see)

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,750 Times in 2,792 Posts

For the most part and for most owners BMW bikes perform within an acceptable envelope. However the complexity of the bikes has turned them from something that an owner can repair with relative ease to something that at times you want to push off a cliff is disheartening.

My first BMW was an '81 R100, that I totaled shortly after I bought it. I replaced it with an '81 R100RS, that had major clutch problems. After 4 or 5 failed clutches leaving me stranded by the roadside, a rather threatening letter to the then President of BMWNA resulted in BMW giving me an '82 R100RS in exchange for my '81 and $900 - of course the clutch blew up at 3000 miles, and after it was replaced I rode the bike for 20+ years, a couple of hundred thousand miles, and it never let me down. I sold it and as far as I know its still on the road.

My K1200RS I bought with 600 miles on it from my friend who owns Two Brothers Racing and had bought it to use to make its exhaust system. I still have that bike, and knock wood, nothing major has gone wrong with it, I still hold my breath a bit when heading out hoping the ABS lights go out as they should, and I run my finger along the engine transmission seam hoping there is no oil showing. I still really enjoy the bike, it does everything I need a bike to do. I've ridden the "slant motor" bikes, and they've not tempted me, so for now I'll keep it and enjoy it.

But if it had given me major headaches I doubt that I would have held onto it.

I hope you get your bike's issues sorted to your satisfaction, or move onto something that pleases you.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:57 AM
The Dude abides.

Send a message via Skype™ to FLHRSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Flyer
I thought (hoped?) that my problems with this fine piece of German design and craftsmanship were over since I just got back from a 2,600 mile trip with no problems. Even the gas gauge worked!

I just took out the other garbage and noticed a small pool of oil that appeared to come from the lowest part of the rear suspension linkage just behind the center stand. No time to check it out now as we are heading out to dinner with friends. Had planned a ride with Theresa next week but looks like that aint' gonna happen.

Some of you know that this bike has been a pile of crap from day one. I think I was the charter member in the "cam chain slip" club. Four air boxes, two ECU's, front ball joint, broken valve retainer requiring a top end rebuild... Some things never change!

Sorry to hear about your troubles... sounds like the reason that so many states, including CA, have passed Lemon laws.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Born to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Murray:

First there is no excuse for poor workmanship. I have had my share of problems with BMW motorcycles.

In the back of my head I know I'm not a stupid person for continuing to purchase BMW's. What I just can't get away from is this - when they are running correctly - they are darn near perfect. Of course we should not have some of these problems but for me - I have been able to overcome the thought of moving onto something different - because I like the uniqueness of the brand - I like the technology when it all works.

And I have a dealer that goes to bat for me with BMW - it may take a little work to get BMW to do the right thing but in the end so far it has all worked out.

I will admit you have way more patience than I do - I like the brand - but after a few big issues - I don't like the bike that much I move it out and replace it.

Last year after my K1300S's starter sprag clutch went - so did the bike.

Hang in there - hope you get your bike squared away.

Bruce, I agree that, when they work, they are great. But that is a big "if." And A&S has gone to bat for me many times. However, they are getting as tired of the problems as I am. I can't afford to replace two bikes every two or three years, or to dump one and buy another as soon as there is a problem. Aside from the cost, it's a hassle. Maybe less of a hassle than the multiple multiple 100+ mile round trips to the dealer to get problems fixed.

And now to the solution, at least to this one. I had a small bottle of oil under the seat that I keep so that the oil is always topped up. With the heat we've had lately, it appears that the oil expanded and the plastic softened enough that a little bit of oil leaked, ran down the fender and onto the suspension. Did I over-react? Probably. Does the dismal experience we've had with both bikes justify my over-reaction? Maybe, maybe not. Will I buy another BMW? No. I do wish I had kept my '99 K1200RS as I think that series was the last reliable BMW's.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Wookin' pa nub

My offer still stands.

All kidding aside, it sucks that you are not getting the pleasure out of this (these bikes) that you seek.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage
that's a problem....
However....

BMW is actually better than the other Euro marques. So, think about that.
You wanna trade BMW's headaches for new KTM/Ducati/Triumph (name your pain) troubles?

You'd be only switching logos on your problems.

Or you can go Japanese. That'd be the end of most problems.

Both are very sobering truths.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

Who's going to buy these for the next time they see K Flyer?

Available from Aerostich.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'FastEddieb' for this post:
Old 06-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Wookin' pa nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieb

That is so friggin' wrong, but I laughed. Does that mean I'm going to hell?

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Born to ride

Quote:

I used to have one of those. Used it a couple of times at a BMWMOA rally. The last time, the lady with an R1100RS took extreme offense. When I first got my '99 K1200RS, it developed a leak where two plates on the motor met and were sealed with some kind of special BMW goop. That was the only problem I had with that bike in 67k miles.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Born to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
That is so friggin' wrong, but I laughed. Does that mean I'm going to hell?

Yes, but that's not the only reason.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Damnit Bruce - that sucks!! I just replaced my clutch basket, rear wheel flange, Gas Strip and BMW honored a warranty replacement of a plastic gas tank gasket -- all is well at the moment.....

I'm just glad you didn't get hung up on the trip and this happened at home!

For what it's worth, while at the dealership, the service manager reported that 'most' of these gas strip failures are happening in CA bikes that are using our crap gasoline with ethanol -- he also mentioned that the Chevron octane boost fuel additive 'coated' the strip and protected it....
Old 06-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Murray, You and Teresa have certainly had more than you share of trouble with your bikes.

Must be a little unnerving to have the bike run great for awhile then not. To the store or across the state when will it flake out?

Guess you have had them too long to use the Lemon law for satisfaction.

Scare them with a trip to a Witch doctor.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Born to ride

I looked into the lemon law early on, even spoke to a couple of lawyers who specialized in it. Like so many "consumer-assistance" laws, there are so many qualifications that they are essentially useless. Neither lawyer would take the case unless I paid them so I took this as an omen. I skipped the first year of the model, thinking BMW would sort out all the problems but that was not the case.

Yes, just when things seem to be okay, a new problem comes along. We had just sorted out some major issues with the air box and had a trouble-free trip, then the cam chain slipped.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Site Contributor

I've owned my last Beemer. To many issues, to far to travel for service that cost to much is not worth it to me. Got a tiger 1050 that's been flawless from day 1 and 2 kawasakis can say the same for as well. No question they are beautiful bikes, and when they work they work great, just not for me anymore. As another poster stated, if BMW doesn't change it attitude towards its customers soon the may not have customers to change it for.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 PM
The Dude abides.

Send a message via Skype™ to FLHRSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr_45
I've owned my last Beemer. To many issues, to far to travel for service that cost to much is not worth it to me. Got a tiger 1050 that's been flawless from day 1 and 2 kawasakis can say the same for as well. No question they are beautiful bikes, and when they work they work great, just not for me anymore. As another poster stated, if BMW doesn't change it attitude towards its customers soon the may not have customers to change it for.

Have you seen their recent sales numbers? They don't have to give a crap unfortunately....
Old 06-28-2015, 06:40 AM

So sorry to hear of so many dramas. Have owned several marques can only say the the bike that really bit me was an 850 lemans. My old R80 had nearly 300000km on it when sold and only ever had consumables replaced. Only owned the K1300r for less than a year and has just 25000 trouble free kms on the clock. Hope you get some help and support from BMW.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,405 Times in 3,136 Posts

Quote:
I, personally, find all that technology off putting.

A while back, after a particularly nice ride, I tried to summarize my feelings here:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35129

Still have the little Buell, it still evokes the same feelings and has so far been pretty darn reliable.

Different strokes!

Oh, and K Flyer, condolences and I feel your pain. Hope it's something minor.
Eddie:

Certainly everyone has a different opinion on what he/she likes.

I honestly don't think I could ride many of the newer motorcycles on the market if they did not have the brakes - traction control - suspensions they have. I'm just not that good of a rider to ride these 150+ HP machines with old technology.

I can honestly say that I have used both the ABS and traction control on my bikes several times - did those systems save the day - I don't know but I'm glad I had them.

I don't miss carburetors - brakes that didn't stop me - suspension that basically did nothing - under powered engines.

This is the technology I speak of - I want it and I need it.

Now of course - it would be really nice and expected if that technology worked.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-28-2015, 02:46 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,149 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

That sure is a pisser bud... trade it in...

Or find an old RS with the rear seal done...

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Louis' for this post: