I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Question Different Seat Advice

I recently acquired a 2006 K1200 GT and have rode it enough to know the existing stock seat is not comfortable unless you like to have your crown jewels jammed against the tank. It is slanted forward way to much. I have read a little bit about different seats that some people have replaced their stock seat with. It seems to be narrowed down to about 4 different makes. Sargent, Russell, Mayer, Corbin. I am trying to understand the pros and cons of each seat from those of you who have used any of these seats. I am 5'9", weigh about 170lbs with a 30 inch inseam. With the stock seat in the low position, I can barely stand flat footed on the bike. I also ride mostly solo. Most of my rides have been less than 6 hours, but will be retiring in the next year and plan on doing some longer multi day/week rides out to different parts of the country. Any info or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Different Seat Advice

I can only speak to Corbins, as those are the only ones I've tried. Had one for 29 years on my K100RS, and another for 2 years on my K1300s. Pics are here:
http://www.cjcphoto.net/k1300s/all.html

I can say that Corbin seats, in general, (based on a sample of two) are pretty firm. The idea is that your butt eventually wears them in to fit your body, but after two years on the new one I wish it was a bit softer. If you wonder why, it's (probably) because seats that are too soft also have issues.

And I also have heard that one can ask for a bit of extra foam (1/4 in or so) to be added to the seat to make it a bit softer. You would of course have a taller seat height then. It's worth calling Corbin to ask for options. When you order one, there are certain things that are asked to customize the seat for your usage, buy cutting it to a different shape. So if you mentioned that you are a shorter ride, the seat can be made a little narrower to make it easier to get your feet flat on the ground.

One of the reasons I went with a Corbin on the K1300s was that it offered a heated passenger seat option. (Sargent did not). I really like the heated seat (as did my wife), though it gets too hot sometimes. (It's set to 110F.)
Old 04-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Site Contributor

I don't know where to start. Please forgive the long post, but here are a few of my thoughts:

KGT SEAT TYPES - 2006 vs. 2008
* There are two different types of KGT seats, which are not compatible with each other.

* The "2006" type seats were shipped with 2006 K1200GT and the first half of the 2007 K1200GT model year (built in Fall/Winter 2006).
* The 2006 type seats have a wide middle tongue between the passenger and rider seats.
* The 2006 type seats were considered very uncomfortable by most riders.

* The "2008" type seats were shipped with all K1200GT and K1300GT motorcycles built in Spring 2007 or later.
* The 2008 type seats were considered an improvement over the 2006 type seats. A few riders with the 2006 seats were able to exchange them for the newer type. Most requests were turned down.

KGT SEAT TYPES - RARE LOWER SEAT
* Most K1200GT and K1300GT motorcycles came with the standard seats (820-840 mm). BMW also made "low rider's seats" (800-820 mm), which are quite rare.

AFTERMARKET CUSTOM SEATS
* Personal Note: I would not trust any aftermarket seat maker if they tell you that they can lower the seat for you. The problem is that there isn't much room to lower the seat without eliminating the padding. I can almost guarantee you that if you buy an aftermarket seat, it will come back higher than before. If your footing is marginal, then you may have to hang off to plant your foot.

* Most aftermarket seat makers reuse the original seat pans and heating pads. If you have 2006 type seat pans, you will get a vastly better custom seat, but it won't be the same as one that was built on 2008 type seat pans.

* Ride-in fittings are preferable to mail order. Not only that, but be prepared to take the seat back for adjustments if this is your first custom seat.

* It takes time to break in a new custom seat. Give it at least 1,500 or 2,000 miles.

* There are many aftermarket seat makers. Many of them are "related" to the original Bill Mayer, Sr. They include:

Russell Day Long - Many riders consider these the very best available. They are very expensive, and the waiting list is long, meaning that it can take time before it is your turn. They bought the patent for the inner-spring suspension from Bill Mayer, Sr.

Bill Mayer Jr. "Rocky" - I have a Rocky Mayer seat, custom fitted in a ride-in eight years ago, with an adjustment a few weeks later. The seat looks very very good after 50,000 miles. Bill provided me with "Leather Amore" which helps protect the leather. The seat still feels great, and I have used it on many long rides.

Rick Mayer - Another of Bill Mayer, Sr.'s sons. Many people complained about issues with delays, etc. I would avoid Rick Mayer at all costs.

Some other seat makers may also be "related" to Bill Mayer, Sr., but I am not sure which. Here are some other seat makers:

Corbin - Corbin seems to be hot and cold. I have seen many reviews saying that the Corbin seats are great. I have also seen comments from buyers who had issues with delays and poor communications, especially when there were problems that required customer support after the seat had been delivered.

Sergeant - Riders seemed generally pleased in comments in these forums.

Kontour - Mixed reviews. They are made different. The WebBikeWorld review says that the top layers retain water in the rain. That's enough reason for me to avoid them. You can't expect to travel by motorcycle without encountering rain.

Others - There are many other custom seat makers, but I have named the better-known ones. There are some in the Eastern and Southern US that I have heard of, but do not know much about them.

RECOMMENDATIONS

* Watch out for seat height issues. Custom seats will raise the seat height, which can be problematic at stops. Be cautious if someone tells you they can lower the seat height with a custom seat. You may want to search for an official BMW lowered seat, but they are very rare.

* Get a ride-in fitting if at all possible. It can make a big difference. If this is your first custom seat, be prepared to have it "adjusted" after it breaks in.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for the advice. I raised the stock seat to the highest level and that definitely helped reduce the slide forward feeling. However I can no longer stand flat footed but it isn't too bad. I think I will continue to ride it this way for a little while until i can decide what aftermarket seat will be best for me.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Site Contributor

You're welcome. I hope it helps.

I forgot to mention that the 2008 type seats have two narrow tongues between the passenger and the rider. The tongues are on the outside edges of the seat bottoms.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I don't know where to start. Please forgive the long post, but here are a few of my thoughts:

Rick Mayer - Another of Bill Mayer, Sr.'s sons. Many people complained about issues with delays, etc. I would avoid Rick Mayer at all costs.

I hope this helps.

I have a Rick Mayer seat. I did a ride-in and had a good experience. I love the seat and I can easily do 12 hour days.

XMR gives good advice, though. Rick can be difficult to work with. He's opinionated, brash, condescending. But he's also a darn good saddle maker, and I think he actually cares that his saddles are good. I would only work with him in person, and hope he got it right the first time. I will definitely take any new bike back to him for a custom saddle.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Give SETH LAMM a call, just google his name, he will use your stock seat Pan and redo it all too your liking! My buddy had him do his FJR seat, and all i can say is lazy boy he's getting mine come this fall!!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thumbs up Re: Different Seat Advice

Thanks for the advice. I will give him a shout.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Give SETH LAMM a call, just google his name, he will use your stock seat Pan and redo it all too your liking! My buddy had him do his FJR seat, and all i can say is lazy boy he's getting mine come this fall!!!!

Didn't Seth work for Rick at one point?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have no idea! But I can say his work is awesome! I didn't want to give my buddies bike back
Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM

My SV seat is shot, maybe I'll ride up and have him craft me a saddle...
Old 05-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo
I have a Rick Mayer seat. I did a ride-in and had a good experience. I love the seat and I can easily do 12 hour days.

XMR gives good advice, though. Rick can be difficult to work with. He's opinionated, brash, condescending. But he's also a darn good saddle maker, and I think he actually cares that his saddles are good. I would only work with him in person, and hope he got it right the first time. I will definitely take any new bike back to him for a custom saddle.
I am pleased to hear that you had good luck with Rick Mayer. Unfortunately, not everyone got to share your good experience. If you are thinking of buying a seat from Rick Mayer, a quick web search turned up these unhappy links:

The Better Business Bureau (BBB) notes that Rick Mayer is out of business, but I have a feeling that he still had a way of taking people's money, possibly as late as October 2016. The three reviews on their site are unanimously negative. In addition, 35 (!!!) customers took the time to file BBB complaints:
https://www.bbb.org/sacramento/busin...ff-ca-37000752
https://www.bbb.org/sacramento/busin...and-complaints

Here are two people who went to the trouble of creating their own special website or webpage solely to describe their horrible experiences with Rick Mayer. That says a lot to me:
http://www.dontbuyrickmayercycle.com/home.html
http://www.dontbuyrickmayercycle.com...cle-story.html
http://dantesdame.com/main/rick-mayer-cycle-rant
(The bottom complaint on the above webpage is dated 1 October 2016. It says, "Rick Mayer stole $500.00 deposit and was 2 months late in delivery. The BBB has many complaints & an F rating. I have been in touch with the police in town and they are trying to get the business CO revoked. Beware of during [sic] business with this criminal." The author does not say when they paid Rick Mayer, but I wonder whether Rick had found a way to continue taking people's money well into 2016.)

Here are a few bad stories from our own i-bmw.com:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=48851

More from the ADV Rider forums:
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...le-com.546066/

If you do your own web search, you will turn up many more similar sites, nearly all of them negative. Any questions?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I am pleased to hear that you had good luck with Rick Mayer. Unfortunately, not everyone got to share your good experience.

I think we're agreeing vehemently.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I think we're agreeing vehemently.
Perhaps, but you wrote, "I will definitely take any new bike back to him for a custom saddle."

I felt that I had to deliver a strong message for anyone who might think that going to Rick Mayer might be worth the risk. It isn't.

There are many excellent, quality custom seat sources are available to riders today, and they won't steal your money. Even if you consider Rick Mayer saddles to be superior over all others (which many would eagerly debate), is the difference really worth putting down many hundreds of dollars on a risky bet?

Instead, send the money to me. In return, I will generate lots of email messages with all kinds of excuses about why I have your money, but you don't have a seat. I promise to be very responsive with the email excuses, in contrast to my competitor. Easy peasy. PM me for my address so you can send the money. :-)
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Perhaps

I insist, we're saying the same thing. Read what I said, but also listen to what I didn't say. Empty space isn't a void, but it is shaped by what surrounds it. So let me be a little more explicit:

*The saddle Rick crafted for me fits me better than any other saddle I've ever had. I can't extrapolate and say it would be the same for anyone else. I can only speak to my experience.

* Riding in and being on site as the saddle was crafted was fantastic. My wife and I sat on the bike several times during the process, getting it fine tuned. I credit this for the fantastic performance of the saddle.

* I do not know what an off the shelf saddle from him feels like. I can only speak to my singular experience.

* I fantastic results with my ride in fitting, but would not use my experience as the basis to recommend others do so. Rick can be difficult to work with. I'm comfortable dealing with such people. Others may not be.

* I did not give Rick any money until my saddle was done and I was satisfied. I would not ride off until I was happy.

* Given what I saw of Rick's personality, and reading other's experiences, I would never do business with him long distance.

* I would never send him money without a product in hand, nor would I recommend anyone doing so.

* If I had to do business long distance I would likely go with Russell.

So yes, I would take any new bike of mine to him to craft a saddle. PHYSICALLY take, MY bike, let him build a saddle, then I'll pay. But that doesn't mean I recommend it to anyone else, plus I would discourage others to do business with him long distance.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:16 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I insist, we're saying the same thing. [...]
I have read your writing carefully. No, we are not saying the same thing.

What I read was (paraphrased) "XMR is right, but I would still hand my money to Rick Mayer (under very specific circumstances) despite the fact that so many people filed BBB complaints, created special web pages dedicated to their dissatisfaction, and posted numerous negative reviews and comments."

In other words, that motorcycle seat is so special that you would ignore the feelings of many fellow riders (including some who have posted on i-bmw.com) and buy that seat anyway. You want to make it clear to everyone here that you would only buy that seat if you were there personally to ride herd and make sure he builds the seat on that day in front of your eyes, and then pay him at the end of the day. I can picture multiple ways that things could turn sour with that. If something did go wrong that day, he would have your seat pans, you know. Still, you have had good ride-in experiences overall, so based on your previous experience, you would probably get a decent seat.

Hypothetical Question: I wonder how many fellow riders must feel screwed over before @Maximo would be willing to say, "I would not give this man my money under any circumstances"? As I said, just a hypothetical.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:02 AM

XMR you did a good job paraphrasing me. I, however, did not fully get the gist of what you were saying. When you said "I would avoid RMS at all costs" I did not understand it to be "I would avoid RMS at all cost and so must you, because if you don't it is disrespectful of us who have been screwed over by him." Perhaps a hint of "If we continue to support RMS he'll just be around longer to shaft even more riders."

It's a good discussion to have. At what point is our community responsible for subjugating the good of the individual for the good of the group? In this case, if I have a good experience where others have not, is it my responsibility to give up my future (potential) good experiences to punish those who have mistreated my fellow riders?

Or is this something that you let capitalism work out? As long as there's a free exchange of ideas, do you let a vendor simply sink under the weight of his own incompetence? Or does the free market model fail because there's no regulation that requires full disclosure of the potential down side and actual bad experiences, meaning that unsuspecting customers will get shafted because they didn't know it could happen to them? And the reason the guy is still in business is because he still has enough happy customers that he continues to have a profitable business?

I guess what I'm seeing is a healthy discussion of what is the proper remedy to this, a social solution vs a market solution?

I'd love to hear thoughts on this!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Site Contributor

(You ask some great questions. Forgive me for deliberately avoiding the large social issues. I feel that they are too broad to address here. Here is my more direct response, focused on the RMS question.)

It is a free country and what you decide to do is entirely your business. If you decide to buy another RMS seat (under whatever conditions you may impose) that's fine. I hope it works out for you if you follow through. I have no problem with that.

I am frustrated because your posts encourage others to think that RMS seats are so good that it might be worth the risk of a ride-in fitting anyway. You made it clear that you like your previous ride-in-fitted RMS seats so much that you are willing to try it again, despite what so many others have said.

A large number of people have shown beyond any reasonable doubt that RMS is not trustworthy. See above.

If a person or business is not trustworthy, why would you give them your money? ... and yeah, why would you feed them so that they can continue to hurt others? The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

I believe that people can change, and deserve forgiveness for past mistakes, but only if there is something to show that real change has occurred. It takes time and effort. I have seen no evidence of that in this case. We can all hope that RMS will make long term changes that will let them earn our trust in the future. That said, I would not give RMS my money now. Others are free to do what they wish.

At the present time, I will continue to discourage others from recommending RMS under any circumstances. I would not recommend giving RMS your business even under highly restrictive conditions such as a "ride-in fitting with payment at the end of the day." My advice is to wait until RMS earns our trust. We can revisit this thread in a couple years, perhaps.

In the meantime, there are so many excellent custom seat makers for everyone to choose from.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 AM

XMR, I really hear the frustration in your words, and to be honest, I am amazed at how civil you come across vis a vis RMS, given your experience. If I had been in your shoes, there's no way I would be so decent, I'd be shouting from the rooftops "STAY AWAY FROM THIS M-F!! HE'S A CROOK!!!" But because I am fortunate enough to not have had this experience, for me imagining it is a mental exercise, void of any of the passion that would surely follow if I'd been on the receiving end.

So in the interest of making sure I don't come across as saying, implying, inferring, or in any way making people think that I encourage others to think that RMS seats are so good that it might be worth the risk of a ride-in fitting, I'm going to restate myself:

* I had fantastic results with my ride in fitting, but would not use my experience as the basis to recommend others do so.

* I let him build my saddle. But that doesn't mean I recommend it to anyone else.

Those are my words from previous posts. Now let me borrow your words, which in my mind are entirely consistent with my opinion:

* I would not recommend giving RMS your business even under highly restrictive conditions.

And I would make the final observation that for someone (me) who communicates ideas for a living, I've done a terrible job of getting my point across.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Maximo' for this post:
Old 05-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Site Contributor

Works for me, but you are being far too hard on yourself. You did an excellent job of communicating your position. (Repeating myself: My only concern was that others may be tempted to gamble and take the risk, based on your earlier statements.)

Working together, I believe that we have clarified the situation for anyone who follows or may be researching custom seats.

Clarification:

Perhaps I have been more civil because I do not have an RMS seat. I have several friends who had major issues with RMS, especially with the endless delays that left their motorcycles unridable. The time and effort they spent dealing with RMS issues was staggering. Watching their pain was not fun, especially on those days when I was able to go out riding with others, but they could not. I am very angry with RMS for what they did to my friends. There is no excuse.

My Bill "Rocky" Mayer Saddle:

In case anyone cares, I have a Bill "Rocky" Mayer saddle. I still love it after riding on it for well over 50k miles. It looks almost new, except for some wear in the stitching where it presses against my body. I did a ride-in fitting. The results were not perfect; there were uncomfortable pressure points. I went back after the break-in period and they adjusted it. Since then it has been great. I take personal blame for the pressure points. I did not fully understand the custom seat fitting process and where to focus my attention. When I buy the next custom seat, I am confident that I have learned enough to get it right the first time.

https://www.billmayer-saddles.com
Old 05-30-2017, 06:27 PM
WACKY RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaskowiak
Thanks for the advice. I raised the stock seat to the highest level and that definitely helped reduce the slide forward feeling. However I can no longer stand flat footed but it isn't too bad. I think I will continue to ride it this way for a little while until i can decide what aftermarket seat will be best for me.

The stock seat DOES sit flatter in the higher position and that is where I try to ride. However, I do have a 32" inseam, a 2" advantage over you.

What a great detailed write up on the seat types available. This should be made a sticky in the k12gt section [but perhaps without some of the comments on the rick seats??]
I have posted pics of the 2 different stock seats, as I totaled a 2007 gt and replaced it with another 2007 with the newer style seat.

The lower and left seat, with the single wider tab, is the older and about 2-4 pounds heaver.

Before I got the newer bike , I had already modified my older seat to improve the comfort. I took it to a local upholsterer who specializes in bike seats.

He cut about 1/2" off the stock seat foam and inserted a gel pad [about $45 my cost from amazon] and reinstalled the heated pad on top of the gel.

He threw away both the stock seat covers and replaced them with sticky waterproof material for "jet skis" and no more sliding forward for my passenger when braking.

After trying the seat, we then removed the gel pad and he made two indention's in the stock foam to match my butt cheeks and give me more even support. This last step did the most to make the seat more comfortable, and anyone could to this to a stock seat by peeling back the stock cover.
Total cost was less than $250, a LOT cheaper than a custom seat.

I have done a one day, 1130 mile, 16 hour ride on the new seat, That would have been impossible on the stock seat.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 07-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My K1200GT is a 2006 and it appears that my seat was already updated to the 2007.5 style by the previous owner at some point because it has the two junction clips instead of the center one. All I can say is heaven help those that have the original 2006 seat as this thing gets unbearable quickly after an hour on the road.

Now to qualify my individual situation I will say my bike has risers and set backs on the handlebars, and peg lowering brackets on the foot pegs so I sit considerably more upright than the stock seating position which may put more pressure than intended on my tailbone. Nonetheless, after yesterday's commute home from work spending 1.5 hours in traffic I did not want to ride it again today (I did anyway...it is sitting out in the rain now getting washed).

For years now I have wanted to update the seat because (dare I admit this here) my trip bike is my Harley Ultra just because I have this torture seat on the K12GT. I have taken years now to read all the comments spread out on the internet and likes/dislikes about every seat available for this thing. I had a Corbin on the K1100LT I used to ride and did not care for it in the least so after I read about issues people were having with customer service I dropped them off the list.

There seemed to be just two seat companies that had little to no bad chatter...Russell Day Long and Sargent. The only negative I see on the Russell deals with appearance. However, since I did not want to send my seat off to get a new saddle installed amd any subsequent 'adjustments' afterwards via shipping it back and forth, and since I am not planning on attending any rallies any time soon for a personal fitting, I took a big step today that was years in the making and ordered a Sargent seat. I was pleasantly surprised to see they had a sale going on as well so waiting helped me save some money as well.

Time will tell if this was the correct decision or not but at least my 'analysis paralysis' is over!

2006 K1200GT (the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011)
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic - it's blue

Used to have (in order of age):
2005 R1200GS - a great explorer
1994 K1100LT - my favorite bike except my knees hit the fairing and hurt
1988 K75s - the riding position caused me pain!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:39 PM
WACKY RACER

My riding style is different from harley or goldwing style riders, with bar-backs and rider backrests.

I have the bars in the LOWEST setting, to give me a slight lean forward, a more sporting position. I also travel long distances with the balls of my feet on the pegs, and only occasionally change positions to rest the muscles in the back and legs. I am usually back against the step in the seat also.
This allows part of my weight to be on the legs instead of all of it on the butt. It also puts me in a slight forward leaning position. Whenever I hit a bump, I can easily rise up off the seat using the legs, and not so easy to do when your feet are forward on the pegs.

So I have my feet under my butt, and lean forward into the bars, while riding long distances with minimum discomfort. Does this sound different from your riding style?
I also have the windshield in the lowest position to allow the wind to hit my upper body and shoulders. This takes the pressure off my wrists and reduces wind buffeting in the helmet.

Instead of the "sit up and beg" position, with your feet in front and ALL your weight on the butt, and every bump driving the impact directly up into your spine, The slight forward lean allows me to do 800-1000 mile days with minimum discomfort.

Maybe it's not the seat as much as your riding position. Try bending your arms and leaning forward, instead of straight up and see what you think. Maybe slide your feet back on the balls of your feet, to take part of your weight off the seat.

The other things that might help would physical conditioning to improve your body core strength, allowing you to lean forward, without putting your weight on the wrists. As you ride there should be NO weight on the wrists, with your body supported by your back and core muscles.

The last thing to consider is body mass. If you can't do more than 10 pushups and weigh more than 200 pounds, you aren't making it any easier on your body and riding comfort, - just saying.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bertbrumfield' for this post:
Old 07-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertbrumfield
* Snip

I have the bars in the LOWEST setting, to give me a slight lean forward, a more sporting position. I also travel long distances with the balls of my feet on the pegs, and only occasionally change positions to rest the muscles in the back and legs. I am usually back against the step in the seat also.
This allows part of my weight to be on the legs instead of all of it on the butt. It also puts me in a slight forward leaning position. Whenever I hit a bump, I can easily rise up off the seat using the legs, and not so easy to do when your feet are forward on the pegs.

So I have my feet under my butt, and lean forward into the bars, while riding long distances with minimum discomfort. Does this sound different from your riding style?
* Snip

You bring up a good point. When I bought the bike back in 2011 it already had all the doodads on it so I just left it. My old K75s caused me so much pain with its riding position that I left everything alone. But...the KGT2 is not as aggressive as the K75s and looks to be more like the K1100LT which was great.

I have tires to change this weekend and may remove the barbacks as well for the tire change test ride.

The physics is clear...if the tailbone is on fire maybe it is making too much contact. Leaning forward in the proper position would relieve that issue. It is certainly worth a try. Weekend tweaks here we come! Thanks...

2006 K1200GT (the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011)
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic - it's blue

Used to have (in order of age):
2005 R1200GS - a great explorer
1994 K1100LT - my favorite bike except my knees hit the fairing and hurt
1988 K75s - the riding position caused me pain!