I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Consultant & Former Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to locus Send a message via Yahoo to locus Send a message via Skype™ to locus
Exclamation BMW K1200S Electronics

BMW K1200S Electronics.

BMW Motorrad Single-Wire-System (SWS)--simply perfect for sensible functions in the on-board network.

Introducing the R 1200 GS early in 2004, BMW Motorrad also presented its Single-Wire-System, a highly advanced, all-new system networking electrical and electronic components in the motorcycle. Combining sophisticated electronics with CAN-bus technology (Controller Area Network), this innovative on-board network offers a much wider range of functions than conventional on-board networks, while at the same time significantly reducing the number and intricacy of cables required.

In this network, information is conveyed through just one single wire (hence the name). And to ensure absolute security in a fully redundant system, the configuration comes with two wires for appropriate back-up.

The most significant benefits of this intelligent combination of electrics and electronics are the reduction of weight on both the wiring harness and the components used, a high level of robustness, and comprehensive diagnostic abilities. A further advantage is the easy integration of electronic accessories into the network, simple updates serving to flexibly extend and enhance the system whenever required.

The basic principle is to integrate all control units through just one single wire to provide a common network transmitting all signals regardless of their subsequent function. Hence, this network comprises all information at all times for all the components integrated into the system. The signals are then allocated to the right address at specific junction points, going straight from there to the appropriate electronic control units responsible for specific power-consuming items. There the information is processed and the appropriate functions are activated.
This eliminates the elaborate and complicated process of wiring each individual function through a separate line, which also reduces the potential sources of error inevitable in a conventional on-board network due to the large number of lines and connectors. And this, obviously, is crucial to a high standard of all-round reliability.

Communication network and central diagnosis.

With all control units forming one common communication system, the exchange of data is simple and efficient. Diagnosis of the overall system is equally simple and comprehensive, and can be performed at one central point, the electronic "brain" filtering out insignificant data and interference signals within defined tolerance limits. This makes the system largely immune to interference such as electromagnetic noise.
Including the anti-theft warning system and ABS, a total of five control units communicate with one another in the new K 1200 S. The instrument cluster also performs the functions of a control unit, and the BMS-K digital engine electronic control unit is responsible not only for engine management as described in the foregoing, but also for the transmission of data to the diagnostic system. The Central Electronic System (CES), finally, masterminds the non-engine-specific electrical functions.

On-board network without conventional fuses.

The entire on-board network operates without any conventional, melt-down fuses, the CES reliably switching off the function involved in the event of a short-circuit or malfunction. It then saves information on defects registered for centralised diagnosis, ensuring that each defect can be located quickly and directly. The big advantage of this electronic control function is that CES automatically re-activates the appropriate function each time the motorcycle is re-started, thus checking itself whether the defect is still there. Possible failure of a signal path, finally, will not affect the other functions, keeping the entire system reliable and failure-proof.
The control units also serve as relays, only the starter still being activated by a conventional relay. A compact alternator developing 580 W at 42 Amps supplies the electrical system on the K 1200 S. The maintenance-free battery has a capacity of 14 Amp/hours.

Electronic immobiliser--anti-theft security of the highest standard.

The K 1200 S comes as standard with an electronic immobiliser. Controlled via a transponder in the key to the ignition, this sophisticated system offers anti-theft security of the highest standard fully equal to the security in a BMW car.
As soon as the rider inserts the key into the ignition lock and switches on the ignition, a chip in the key communicates with the Digital Motor Electronics via the ring aerial integrated in the ignition lock. Incorporating the electronic immobiliser algorithms, DME then initiates a challenge response process (the engine control unit activates a random "challenge" and the ring aerial/key reply by an appropriate "response" in order to identify themselves) and triggers an exchange of data between the coded chip and the electronic immobiliser, with the data exchanged changing each time the engine is to be started. Whenever the response from the ring aerial fits the challenge presented, the engine control unit will release the ignition and fuel injection and the rider can start the engine. This technology is currently the best and most secure immobiliser technology available.

New instrument cluster in digital technology.

The new on-board electronic system of the K 1200 S allows the introduction of a highly advanced, fully digitalised, extra-light instrument cluster comprising the speedometer, rev counter and an information display referred to as the Info-Flatscreen. The Info-Flatscreen provides ongoing information on coolant temperature, the level of fuel in the tank, the time, and the gear currently in mesh.
If the motorcycle is fitted additionally with ESA Electronic Suspension Adjustment, the Info-Flatscreen provides additional information on the current set-up of the suspension. The overall mileage of the motorcycle, trip mileage and - once the fuel tank has dropped to the reserve level - remaining mileage on the fuel left in the tank are also available on request by the rider. Any deficiencies in the system, finally, are presented by appropriate signals in the display.
The entire instrument cluster is masterminded by a photoelectric cell and is automatically illuminated at dusk.

Electrical switches.

All the motorcycle's switches and manual controls are of the latest generation introduced for the first time on the R 1200 GS. The particular fortes of these switches and controls are a high level of function, clear design, and easy accessibility. The basic arrangement of switches and BMW's typical logic in controlling the direction indicators have been maintained.

Ride Fast - Ride Safe !
There is no road to happiness, happiness is the road

Last edited by locus : 05-05-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: BMW K1200S Electronics

I have a yellow caution light on and the word "LAMPR" and have checked all lights on the back of the bike. I did break the license plate light, but the warning did not come on with the broken bulb. When I replaced the bulb the light did not go out.

Secondarily and possibly related? At the time the light went on I began having brake problems. I have the power assist ABS system. The brakes typically fully activate and the brake light goes out when rolling forward after a start up. Mine wouldn't and they only worked if I rolled the bike backwards and then forward. Now I have to roll the bike backwards after starting and activate the brake system by pulling the hand brake, then I can roll it forward and the system works and then the brake light goes out. So any ideas?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:42 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Get your brakes fixed. Sorry, I just had to say it.

So last night and tonight I was trying to install an auxiliary brake light on my top case by trying to tap into the brake (+) and ground (-) at the back of the brake light fixture.
I took the bulb socket out the fixture and noticed ... if I unplug the running light, the brake light (via computer control) will take over the function of the running light and the running light will do the same for the brake light if the brake wire is unplugged. Doing either sets code lampR meaning Lamp Repair I presume. So, I would advise you to remove the bulb socket and check lamp operation with the bulb in the socket and your eyes actually on the bulb, not looking through the lense. This may help your other brake problems as I am hearing other nightmare stories of electrical things that don't work because somehow wiring hots and grounds are routed mysteriously through other circuits.
Daniel
Seattle
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'sierramerkur' for this post:
Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 PM
Site Contributor

I've been looking for a thread dedicated to scan tools and trouble shooting resets. Any experience with TechnoResearch, a windows based scan system? I've been in a shutdown, anti theft mode for a month with my K1200S, and I now believe it to be my key. Hoping the TechnoResearch system can help, might buy. If anyone knows of a thread exploring T/S and scan tools, let me know. In the meantime I'll keep grazing, who knows what I'll stumble across. Thanks
Old 12-30-2016, 11:53 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Pup, start a new thread, it is electronics of course but a totally separate subject. Someone will have an idea if they can find your question. (do a search first)
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:19 AM
Site Contributor

Puptent

This is the thread you are looking for:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ht=Update+inpa
Old 04-28-2017, 06:31 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: BMW K1200S Electronics - TRACTION CONTROL

My 2007 K1200S only have ABS & the Electronic Suspension Adjustement ESA. Some models I believe do have Traction Control as well (Knob with ACS/ABS) fitted.To enable TC to work, is there a way to do it? Can Tyre Pressure Monitors be fitted and will it work?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,018 Times in 785 Posts

FYI... These were never offered with traction control... Not an option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titos
My 2007 K1200S only have ABS & the Electronic Suspension Adjustement ESA. Some models I believe do have Traction Control as well (Knob with ACS/ABS) fitted.To enable TC to work, is there a way to do it? Can Tyre Pressure Monitors be fitted and will it work?
Old 04-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Likes "S" bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
FYI... These were never offered with traction control... Not an option...

My '08 KS has traction control. I remember it saving me once when pulling out, hitting throttle hard and crossed some oil on the road TCS intervened.

'14 R1200GSW
'10 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike)
'92 K75S (20+ years of 3 cylinder love)
'95 K75RT

Crashed:
'09 Triumph Daytona 675

Sold but not forgotten:
'08 K1200S tricolor
'99 R11S
'02 K12RS
Old 04-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Supporting Vendor

I think the later K1200S' came with something called ASC... Automatic stability control... Is that what you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_in_KG
My '08 KS has traction control. I remember it saving me once when pulling out, hitting throttle hard and crossed some oil on the road TCS intervened.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Likes "S" bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
I think the later K1200S' came with something called ASC... Automatic stability control... Is that what you are talking about?

I think you're correct about the name.

'14 R1200GSW
'10 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike)
'92 K75S (20+ years of 3 cylinder love)
'95 K75RT

Crashed:
'09 Triumph Daytona 675

Sold but not forgotten:
'08 K1200S tricolor
'99 R11S
'02 K12RS
Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 AM
Entering the on-ramp

ASC.... That is the one i am refering to.
The signals for this program is read by the ECU from the Instrument Cluster & the difference between the Front & Back Wheel by means of the ABS Sensor Ring. Please correct me if i am wrong.(a Left Handbar Control can then be fitted with the relevant switch)
My second question was if i buy 2 Tyre Pressure Monitors will the Instrument Cluster show these values?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Supporting Vendor

From what I've read, that's NOT really a traction control system like we see on most of the current crop of modern bikes, but rather just a basic anti-slip system... I could be wrong..

It's not gonna get you around a track any quicker, but it might save your bacon in an emergency situation and I believe that was the intent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_in_KG
I think you're correct about the name.