I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,043 Times in 573 Posts

Re: How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by weschmann
Hi everyone, I'm performing a baseline maintenance procedure on a new to me 2001 K1200RS and am wondering if the brake change and bleeding process is the same on the 01 as the method on the 02 as explained here in the forum. It seems that there is a change on some items from 01 to 02 that make the model somewhat different....Since I am new to the BMW world, I haven't learned all the language yet..... If not, I'll try to follow the information listed in the post for "How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes....
Thanks in advance for your advice.

If yours is a USA market BMW of 2001, then you probably have the simpler ABS II. The ABSII system can be bleed like most normal brake system as the fluid goes thru from begin to end (master-cylinder to ABS-Unit and then to the Caliper).

An easy test is to listen for the booster pump of the ABS-Unit after the ignition is turned ON - wait 6 seconds - do NOT start the engine - press the front lever with moderate pressure for 3 seconds. If you have IABS (also called ABSIII), you will clearly hear the electrical pump of the ABS unit - it should stop as soon as you release the lever. No such noise on older ABSII system.

To the best of my knowledge, the IABS (Integral-ABS) were sold beginning in 2001 in Europe and Canada, but appeared only in 2002 for the USA market. Also, the introduction of IABS matches the new front fairing design on the K1200RS.
See attached picture: what does you front nose fairing looks like ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1200RS_Old-vs-New.jpg (137.6 KB, 83 views)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Getting up to speed

Oops. for sure mine is an IABS as is a k1200GT 2004 and makes the noises you mentioned when you press the brake.

Ok will follow then precise instructions to complete control circuit (more complex process) and the wheel circuit (easier to complete)

but could then wait a little longer to complete the control circuit and can I do it without removing the calipers?

thanks for your help!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayojuaf
Oops. for sure mine is an IABS as is a k1200GT 2004 and makes the noises you mentioned when you press the brake.

Ok will follow then precise instructions to complete control circuit (more complex process) and the wheel circuit (easier to complete)

but could then wait a little longer to complete the control circuit and can I do it without removing the calipers?

thanks for your help!

Read the instructions several times through before you start.

Yes, you can do it without removing the calipers. Here's a couple of more suggestions,

when you're bleeding the front brake and clutch (clutch uses brake fluid) there are holes in the master cylinders that will squirt fluid all over the place if you're not careful when pulling on the levers, note the photo,

here's a way to avoid squirting fluid all over the place,

just remember to remove the coin when you're done. Also, since your bike is a dozen years old you should really consider replacing the brake lines with stainless steel lines, here's one source, http://pirateslair.net/spiegler.htm - several members have reported ruptured brake lines on the 10 year old bikes - not fun.

Lastly, for whatever reason, the last two times that I've bled the brake system, after about 200 miles the ABS warning lights started to flash, and upon inspection the rear fluid reservoir - the one on the rear right side of the bike by the shock, has been low on fluid and I've had to top off the reservoir - don't know why, but just be conscious of the fluid levels for the first couple of hundred miles.

It's just a fiddly task - take your time, keep a couple of cold beers handy, and work your way through it.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Getting up to speed

I bought the funnel, but never needed it. I like the two turkey baster method, one to extract dirty fluid and one for filling. No need for a funnel if you watch what your doing.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Shooting the gap

Looks like there is a lot of good supplemental advice in addition to the main article, maybe someone knowledgeable can put together these extra tidbits into an updated procedure?

Currently Have:
-2004 K1200GT
-2013 Street Triple
-1978 Honda CB400A
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,390 Times in 867 Posts

Lightbulb I replaced the front brake lines last week.

I replaced the front brake lines last week.

I decided to go with the OEM lines from BMW.

It was a quick and easy procedure.

The clutch and rear brake lines will be replaced this winter.

The new front brake rubber lines were flushed/filled using the above posted method.

Again, quick and easy.

While I was at it and given that there was ample brake fluid still left in the bottle, I also refreshed the fluid in the front-brake-handle-bar, rear-brake-right-sided, and clutch-handlebar reservoirs.

The latter was so easy that I am contemplating doing these plus the front brake-right-sided reservoir every other 6 months alternating with the regular front and back caliper bleeds.

The every 2 year ABS III bleed will still be performed as part of this schedule.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Site Contributor

Lightbulb Cleaning the bolt holes before opening the reservoirs....

I recently changed ("refreshed") the brake fluid in my clutch and front brake handlebar-reservoirs without doing a complete ABS III module bleed. This is not a substitute for the full procedure but made me feel better if nothing else.

Anyways, when removing the screws from the reservoir caps a lot of paint and other debris was noted on the screws and in the holes.

The screws were originally painted as were the countersunk rims of the holes. With age and exposure to brake fluid, the paint had extensively flaked off.

To clean this out and keep the debris from falling into the reservoirs, as the caps were lifted off, the bolts were removed one at a time and both the bolts and holes were cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. At least 3 screws remained in the caps at all times and these were tightened to the correct torque.

Each screw was cleaned with the help of a clean tooth brush and paper towels. The latter were whetted with the alcohol, folded, wrapped around the screw, and held tightly. The screw was turned with a screw driver. Each hole was cleaned with cotton tipped applicators, intact for the rim of the hole and partially plucked to insert all the way into the hole. Fresh applicators were used until these came out completely clean.

The applicators were also used to make sure there was not any brake fluid left in the holes after refreshing/bleeding these reservoirs. This was done after the cap was replaced while holding the cap down tightly and before replacing the screws.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Site Contributor

Lightbulb Using "Dental Irrigation Syringes" with attached tubing...

Dental Irrigation Syringe

I used the type with the plastic tip from CVS pharmacy.

See pic.

Tubing from an Autocraft one man bleeder kit fits snugly over the tip.

This assembly was then used to remove and replenish the brake fluid in the right-sided front and back brake reservoirs. Tubing was not required for the handlebar reservoirs.

The small tip slows down flow and allows for better control than a standard syringe.

However, due to the small size, 10 cc rather than the recommended 60 cc, it is important to keep your eyes on the plunger so as to not pull it out completely when withdrawing fluid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dentalirrigationsyringe.jpg (2.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Ok kids, need some direction/help...

have a 2004 k1200gt, abs unit went south, rebuilt by the folks in Tennessee .

Taking the unit out and putting it in is not the challenge, the problem is bleeding system.

I followed the online instructions found here on this web page re: bleeding and installing.

System is in, I don't hear the start up that occurred with the previous abs unit.

Went to Bob's BMW on 19th & Western, they say no special tools require to bleed system. Straight forward they say....

neither front or back breaks would stop the bike at any speed.

I get a blinking brake light, far left and the one next to it is constantly on.

Suggestions, direct to tech info...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Double post, can a mod please delete one or the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal

Taking the unit out and putting it in is not the challenge, the problem is bleeding system.

I followed the online instructions found here on this web page re: bleeding and installing.

System is in, I don't hear the start up that occurred with the previous abs unit.

Went to Bob's BMW on 19th & Western, they say no special tools require to bleed system. Straight forward they say....

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Site Contributor

Hmm. Something that jumps out at me right away: you say that the rebuilt unit is not giving the startup/initialization sound that you are used to.

Clarification requested: Have you succeeded in getting the primary circuits bled (ie, the circuits that go from master-cylinders to the iABS unit)? This purely mechanical step may be necessary first in order to allow the iABS unit to initialize, as the unit is used in the powered-up mode to bleed the secondary (wheel) circuits.

Quote:

Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
When the key is turned and the ignition is on, does the "brake failure" light flash really quick at first for a couple of seconds, then settle down into flashing once per second?

Typically, the point at which the the flash rate changes is when the servos are momentarily energized in the powerup diagnostic sequence.

Quote:
...they say no special tools require to bleed system.
Well, it does help to have the bent wrench with which to bleed the iABS unit...

No, but I do like the taste of Spam....
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Let's deal with the simple things.... 04 K1200GT

1. The abs unit was bled. All six ports were bled with no special wrench needed as a regular metric socket with extension and box wrench do the job.

2. Bled front and back calipers. Results=no braking resistance felt moving the bike.
3. As to dash lights..... initially the left two dash lights alternated quick flashing. Now, they (lights) have settled down to the left dash light flashing 1x/sec and the triangle light next to it constantly on.
4. I do not hear the unit energize, as I had in the past, before service.
5. Schematic available?
6. BTW, Battery Replaced with this install.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 AM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:

1. The abs unit was bled. All six ports were bled with no special wrench needed as a regular metric socket with extension and box wrench do the job.

2. Bled front and back calipers. Results=no braking resistance felt moving the bike.
3. As to dash lights..... initially the left two dash lights alternated quick flashing. Now, they (lights) have settled down to the left dash light flashing 1x/sec and the triangle light next to it constantly on.
5. Schematic available?

The 2 warning lights pattern sequence you have given above, will generally mean:
1) incorrect ABS sensor gap,
2) defective ABS sensor on a given wheel (check damaged wires or connection)

Obviously #1 can only be tested by the system when bike is moving. As for #2 above, I am quite sure the system can detect this during the self-test.

As far as the "unit energize noise", make sure you try with "kill switch" left or right (no start config) also. When the ignition is turned ON, it is easier to hear the ABS pump self-test if the fuel-pump noise is not present at same time.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

And how do you open/close the side ports with a hose and speed bleeder attached with just
a socket and regular box wrench per the photo below? You need to pump a lot of fluid through it, preferably with a speed bleeder and catch container, to verify all air is out and you have a solid stream. Even with the speed bleeder, I close the port before releasing the brake handle/pedal to get it as solid as possible. I'm guessing you still have air in it. When done, you should be able to pull/step on the brake and hear the servo kick in then groan the harder you pull/step on it. If it's not doing that then you still have air in it....

Quote:

5. Schematic available?

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-K' for this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

will go at it later this morning, thanks for your assistance.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
As for #2 above, I am quite sure the system can detect this during the self-test.
I believe the "pull-away" test is where a sensor fault would be detected.

No, but I do like the taste of Spam....
Old 09-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Getting up to speed

Definitely a great set of instructions, many thanks to everyone who contributed and posted for our convenience.

Here are a few pics of what came out of my bike when I first flushed my brakes (after 9 years of ownership and some 35,000 miles). A cautionary tale to follow your maintenance schedule!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Getting up to speed

dre

Last edited by GARoamer : 09-01-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 09-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Site Contributor

Red face Re: How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARoamer
A cautionary tale to follow your maintenance schedule!

I think that color sets a record!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
I think that color sets a record!

I reckon my brake fluid is in with a chance for the record. 9 years, 100,000km's. Both circuits changed annually, but no full bleed of the module because BMW released a bulletin saying there was no need to complete a full bleed unless the module had been compromised. And I believed them. FOOL! I think BMW did that to reduce annual servicing costs so they could attract new customers. Kinda backfires really. The fluid in the jug was from the R3 bleed nipple No wonder the rear brake is generally the first to go tits up. Now it gets a full bleed annually and the fluid is always clear.

1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Entering the on-ramp

[quote=biggles]I Know you are supposed to take bike to dealer to bleed integral ABS systems,but does anyone know correct sequence to bleed brakes(6 nipples on ABS unit).

What is the sequence on the K1200LT 2005? Is it the same?
Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 PM
K1200RS doctor

[quote=tosborn2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
I Know you are supposed to take bike to dealer to bleed integral ABS systems,but does anyone know correct sequence to bleed brakes(6 nipples on ABS unit).

Thanks.

For the K1200LT (the big whale) , a 2005 model has a similar unit positioned horizontally. Because of this position, BMW removed the 2 sides brake reservoir like we have on the k1200RS. Instead, they used the reservoirs embedded on top of the ABS unit, like they have done on many R1150 and R1200 models.

On the K1200RS, they could not used the embedded reservoirs because the unit was placed vertically into the frame (on its side).

See attached picture for the bleed sequence on your 2005 K1200LT.
The sequence is the same as any other Integral-ABS (K1200RS, R1150, early R1200...) , but you just have to be careful not to get confused which nipples is where when you see the unit horizontally instead of vertically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1200LT_IABS-unit_circuits (2005-2009).jpg (165.0 KB, 69 views)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 09-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Site Contributor

[quote=tosborn2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
I Know you are supposed to take bike to dealer to bleed integral ABS systems,but does anyone know correct sequence to bleed brakes(6 nipples on ABS unit).

Thanks.

You have lifted biggles quote from the intro to Garry Hollinger's excellent and well used document on how bleed the iABS unit. Follow that and it is not difficult to go wrong. It will take you a few hours and some 'special' tools will need to be fabricated
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks very much. Will try the sequence.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
I reckon my brake fluid is in with a chance for the record. 9 years, 100,000km's. Both circuits changed annually, but no full bleed of the module because BMW released a bulletin saying there was no need to complete a full bleed unless the module had been compromised. And I believed them. FOOL! I think BMW did that to reduce annual servicing costs so they could attract new customers. Kinda backfires really. The fluid in the jug was from the R3 bleed nipple No wonder the rear brake is generally the first to go tits up. Now it gets a full bleed annually and the fluid is always clear.

The bulletin that I was familiar with extended the full bleed to every 4 years (instead of two).

Edit

Turns out my Triumph has an ABS bleed every two years.

Currently Have:
-2004 K1200GT
-2013 Street Triple
-1978 Honda CB400A

Last edited by slappy00 : 09-03-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Incorrect info on bleeding
Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Site Contributor

My riding buddy has an 07 Triumph Sprint and he needs a diagnostic program to let him into the ABS to bleed it. Right PITA. So its never been bled before
The family history:
Old 09-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
My riding buddy has an 07 Triumph Sprint and he needs a diagnostic program to let him into the ABS to bleed it. Right PITA. So its never been bled before

You know what, I think you have a point. I have the manual in front of me and it does not mention the ABS flush specifically (and probably the same with the ninja), but it does say "change brake fluid" every two years, so likely it means "all" the fluid (including ABS).

As an aside I took my bike in for an ABS recall and when they reinstalled the system they bled my bike with the blue brake fluid and when I saw the rear reservoir I almost fell over. but then looked in the front reservoir and saw that it was blue.

Currently Have:
-2004 K1200GT
-2013 Street Triple
-1978 Honda CB400A
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Sorry, but I still can't grasp a couple things about bleeding the clutch fill and brake fill adapters.

On the clutch, the fill adapter has a check valve bearing in place. It's best to temporarily install an sb1010s, but only after the end is filed off. How far do you file it? Until the hole on leading end is exposed? Is there a ball bearing check valve on the brake fill as well? do you use the same filed off sb1010s on the brake fill adapter? Best to replace grub screws afterwards?

I can't see BMW service department buying an after market speed bleeder, then filing (read "rigging") to make a part that can be used to bleed OEM brakes. I am confused.

I went to my local BMW dealer. First I spoke with the parts department. They have no clue on what type of part (vent) is used in these two drain location. It's not on the diagram. They let me know that there are grub screws in the end of each (duh). Next I went to the service department. He looked at the schematics, told me that there are grub screws in place, and that they had to come out to drain (duh, again). He had no idea what was used to drain, they would try something.

Is there a reason why two bleed locations are not oem friendly?

See why I am doing this myself, instead of going to my local dealer?
1972 Kawasaki 90

Saddle Sore 1000
Butt Burner 1500
Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 AM
Entering the on-ramp

C1200RS,

Please find attached pics of a new speed bleeder and my filed one. The reason you file only this much is so it will still seat on the tapered section to close off the flow, and when you just crack it open you will still have the ball of the check valve pressed down to allow fluid to flow past it, and then it will also flow through the hole in the speed bleeder and out.

TZ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spd Bldr mod.JPG (236.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 AM
Site Contributor

The SB should have a very faint groove on it to file down to.
The family history:
Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 AM

@ C1200RS

I bled my clutch a month ago and it was as simple as possible. No need for a SpeedBleeder. I simply removed the plug with an Allen key. I used a screwdriver with a Phillips head. I asked my son to press the clutch lever to build pressure, then pushed the ball with the screwdriver. Fluid squirted, clutch lever went down, I released the ball. Repeat.

Lee
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current

Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Does the brake fill adapter have a check ball in it as well, or conventional vent will work on it?

thanks
1972 Kawasaki 90

Saddle Sore 1000
Butt Burner 1500
Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1200RS
Does the brake fill adapter have a check ball in it as well, or conventional vent will work on it?

thanks

No - fill he brakes from the reservoirs, just note that with the ABS pump on a lot of fluid gets pushed through the rear reservoir, so keep an eye on the fluid level as your doing int. The calipers can be reverse filled with a syringe of appropriate size attached to the bleeders at the brake caliper, but I've never done it this way. And as to grinding a bleed valve for the clutch, just flatten the tip with a few passes over a file, 1/32 of an inch will do it, and I leave the bleeder on the line when I'm finished.

I suggest you read through the instructions a time or two before you start - its fiddly, but it works, and when filling the front brake fluid and clutch reservoirs (the clutch uses brake fluid too) note these photos, covering the hole in the reservoir will keep fluid from squirting out if you're too quick with the squeeze of the levers during the bleeding process.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:55 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes

Hi Guys!
Love the forum and the great info! After finding the nice step by step procedure written by Gary Hollinger. And since I was getting bored sitting around while recovering from knee surgery. I thought it would be nice to make a video series of the actual K1200RS brake bleeding procedure step by step using all the great info I gathered from this forum and from other sources. Sometimes seeing it done takes the mystery out of what might seem complicated. I hope you guys find it useful and informative. I did my best to edit and cut it down as much as I could but I didn't want to leave out any important details and I am new to editing videos! Here are the YouTube links to the videos:

http://youtu.be/TpI05pWUp-Y Part 1 WHEEL circuit bleeding
http://youtu.be/Etex4BpLSKM Part 2 CONTROL circuit bleeding[/b]

Pete Kontorinis
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Konto15' for this post:
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konto15
Hi Guys!
Love the forum and the great info! After finding the nice step by step procedure written by Gary Hollinger. And since I was getting bored sitting around while recovering from knee surgery. I thought it would be nice to make a video series of the actual K1200RS brake bleeding procedure step by step using all the great info I gathered from this forum and from other sources. Sometimes seeing it done takes the mystery out of what might seem complicated. I hope you guys find it useful and informative. I did my best to edit and cut it down as much as I could but I didn't want to leave out any important details and I am new to editing videos! Here are the YouTube links to the videos:

Pete Kontorinis
Very good job on the two videos!!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 AM

Godd job my friend. Thanks a lot. That will help many owners.
-- Stolen

Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Cool! ...I am just waiting until the relative humidity drops down to an acceptable level to do my bike. 80% right now and probably like that all week, will have time to watch the videos.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Really nice job on the videos. If I can't do it after watching this I'm in big trouble.

What size is the speed bleeder use on the control unit?

Val
03K12RS
Black (of course)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Hi Guys!

Pete Kontorinis

Pete,
I know how hard it is to make a tutorial type video that is clear and covers everything (foolproof). I made one to help owners troubleshoot the cruise-control system for the K1200 and it took me quite a while.

I am very familiar with the Integral-ABS bleeding procedure and I would say that you did a VERY GOOD JOB - congratulations. I would only change or add a few very minor details , but really it would be just to make it 100% - Yes, I am a perfectionist ;-)

The whole K1200 community (including the K1200LT of period 2001-2004) will benefit greatly. For many, a video helps them fill the gaps that a written procedure cannot.

Again, thank you!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks guys! Doing the job is easy! Like Jean says, making a good tutorial and trying not to miss all the details and important items, takes hours! I spent weeks, watching, cutting adding, deleting etc.... Then I freaking accidentally deleted the video! I cursed in LATIN! Live and learn!

The speed bleeder for the control circuit front Filler adapter, clutch as well as for the rear caliper. Is SB1010S which is M10 x 1.0 in thread size. Any automotive store will have them by size. Or go to www.speedbleeder.com and select your motorcycle make and model for all the part numbers for the whole bike!

Take care!
Pete
Old 02-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Jean,
I watched your video on cruise control. Great job! Lots of detail and I am sure, many hours of work! Will take some tips from your video for when I make another.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

The speed bleeder for the control circuit front Filler adapter, clutch as well as for the rear caliper. Is SB1010S which is M10 x 1.0 in thread size. Any automotive store will have them by size. Or go to www.speedbleeder.com and select your motorcycle make and model for all the part numbers for the whole bike!

Take care!
Pete
Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Jean,
I watched your video on cruise control. Great job! Lots of detail and I am sure, many hours of work! Will take some tips from your video for when I make another.
Thanks,
Pete

Pete,
There is also a PDF file summary in the same thread. A printed PDF with some step-by-step procedure is more useful than a video in garage or in toolbox.

Also, I avoided speaking into it, concerned that it would required too much voice editing to make it perfect. Being a perfectionist sucks ;-)

Because you video deals with critical system (more critical than the cruise) you should add a LARGE liability waiver at the beginning like I did. I know that 99.5% of all potential viewers do not need it, but for the 0.5% dumb irresponsible , you need this here in the USA. Just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Great Point Jean!

I might try and go back to my youtube video and put a disclamer in the descrition. I believe you can edit even after you submit video. Thanks for the advice!

Pete
Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Great Point Jean!

I might try and go back to my youtube video and put a disclamer in the descrition. I believe you can edit even after you submit video. Thanks for the advice!

Pete

Pete,
In your 2nd video you make a comment in last paragraph on YouTube:
"Next time i am going to make a wire jumper to remove battery and jump power back into bike and try using servo motors to speed up the process??? I know it can be done, but not sure if its ok to do it that way."

Not sure that I fully understand your intention here. If you think that you will speed up the control circuit bleeding by using the battery power, then the answer is NO.

BMW did not design the procedure like this because the K1200RS has the battery in the way of the side bleed port. As an example: the R1150 boxer series have the same IABS modulator, but it is placed horizontally with 2 sections reservoir embedded on top of the unit. On these machines, the battery does NOT need to be removed and the Control-circuits (front and rear) must be bleed the same way (hand power only - no vacuum bleeder tool).
Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for the info Jean!
I deleted my statement of using the servo for ABS bleeding! And add a disclaimer to the descriptions on both videos. I never had seen anyone using servo to bleed ABS, even in the manuals. It was just me thinking out loud!

Thanks for the help!
Pete
Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Jean!
I deleted my statement of using the servo for ABS bleeding! And add a disclaimer to the descriptions on both videos. I never had seen anyone using servo to bleed ABS, even in the manuals. It was just me thinking out loud!

Thanks for the help!
Pete
I don't know how to understand this statement as last time I bled the brakes, I used the servo to speed up the process when bleeding the front and rear calipers.
-- Stolen

Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 AM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Lee
I don't know how to understand this statement as last time I bled the brakes, I used the servo to speed up the process when bleeding the front and rear calipers.

Lee,
You need to re-read the context in my message to PETE below with his quote in Italic (from YouTube).

In his 1st video, he showed that you need to use battery-power and servos to do the WHEEL-CIRCUITS - that is correct procedure. The 2nd video showed that you need to remove battery from tray to more easily access one of the bleed port on the unit for the CONTROL-CIRCUIT.

In his descrption below video, he then assumed (my interpretation) that maybe he could do a better or faster job if he left the battery plugged and use power to do the CONTROL-CIRCUITs (from Lever/Pedal to modulator). I replied that this was not correct and explained why briefly.

Hope everything is clear now ;-)
Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 AM

Okay. Got it now. The battery must bindeed be removed in order to bleed the pump. And the blleding process for the controls is done by pumping the levers. And I don't suggest doing it without a quarter at the bottom of the reservoirs unless you don't mind dull bodywork paint...
-- Stolen

Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Site Contributor

Question Confusion about which speed bleed size(s) for control circuit and clutch?

Confusion about which speed bleed size(s) for control circuit and clutch?

Here's the chart for the K12RS from the Speed Bleeder web page:

BMW-K12RS
Year-2002, 2003
Front Brakes-SB8125L (quantity 2?)
Rear Brakes-SB1010S
Clutch-SB1010S
ABS Unit-SB7100S (quantity = 4), SB7100 (quantity = 2), total of 6 bleeders

Here's their pic of the different sizes:

Gary's procedure describes using only the SB1010S (clutch and control circuits).

Can someone with a little more caffeine on-board explain this apparent discrepancy?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Re: Confusion about which speed bleed size(s) for control circuit and clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Confusion about which speed bleed size(s) for control circuit and clutch?

Here's the chart for the K12RS from the Speed Bleeder web page:

BMW-K12RS
Year-2002, 2003
Front Brakes-SB8125L (quantity 2?)
Rear Brakes-SB1010S
Clutch-SB1010S
ABS Unit-SB7100S (quantity = 4), SB7100 (quantity = 2), total of 6 bleeders

Can someone with a little more caffeine on-board explain this apparent discrepancy?

Here, this may help, http://www.speedbleeder.com/Motorcycle%20Sizes.htm
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Site Contributor

Question Re: Confusion about which speed bleed size(s) for control circuit and clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350

Thanks for the link.

It indicates different sizes for the ABSIII control circuit unit rather than just the SB1010S that Gary describes.

"ABS Unit-SB7100S (quantity = 4), SB7100 (quantity = 2)"

My guess is that these latter sizes are used if replacing the OEM but that the SB1010S can be used alone for five of the bleed sites (1 for the clutch and 4 of the brake control circuits with 2 of the brake control circuits configured for direct attachment of the draining hose).

Is this correct?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Re: Confusion about which speed bleed size(s) for control circuit and clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Thanks for the link.

It indicates different sizes for the ABSIII control circuit unit rather than just the SB1010S that Gary describes.

"ABS Unit-SB7100S (quantity = 4), SB7100 (quantity = 2)"

My guess is that these latter sizes are used if replacing the OEM but that the SB1010S can be used alone for five of the bleed sites (1 for the clutch and 4 of the brake control circuits with 2 of the brake control circuits configured for direct attachment of the draining hose).

Is this correct?

I didn't use speed bleeders on the ABS unit, only on the brake calipers. On the clutch bleed line I used one of the stock bleeders taken off the brakes and left it there omitting replacing the "grub screw" plug that's in the line. So I only used two speedbleeders, 1 each on the front calipers, and one on the rear caliper. I have one speedbleeder (don't recall the size) that I use on this part of the ABS unit (see photo at page 5 of Gary's instructions) after removing the "grub screw" which I replace when I'm finished bleeding the brakes,

Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

On my 2003 K1200RS you could do the bleeding almost entirely without speed bleeders. Actually you can do the whole bike. Most people don't replace there ABS unit bleeders. Would make it less time consuming for sure. I used a speed bleeder for my front filler adapter ( which is located next to the ABs unit, with the rubber cap on it plus grub screw) and for clutch bleeding. Definitely get the SB1010S. The S if for short I believe? From your picture of the bleeders the SB1010 is longer and bottoms out on both the front filler adapter and the clutch bleed ports before even getting a full turn on the bleeder! It can still be done but tends to leak past the threads while bleeding. Teflon tape would help! But I suggest getting the SB1010"S" since it will seal properly. I used the SB1010 while doing mine, and you can see on the video I barely get a turn on the speed bleeder! So I couldn't open it more than an 1/8 of a turn to prevent leakage! My front calipers bleeders are smaller and use SB8125L speed bleeders. Older models use the larger SB1010. My rear brake uses the larger SB1010 as well, just one. Hope this helps a bit?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I finally got around to editing a video on how the bleed the Clutch
Circuit, which is the last of the videos in the series. Here is the link.

http://youtu.be/KzS9N27G2nc

Use an SB1010s bleeder The S on the end stands for short, which is what you will need to install to prevent leakage past the threads while bleeding. Hope you guys and girls find it useful! Regards
Pete
Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Site Contributor

Post Re: Confusion about which speed bleed size(s) for control circuit and clutch?

My bad.

Per Gary's procedure, the SB1010S speed bleeder is only used on the front filler adapter when bleeding the control circuits. The remaining 6 sites are bled via the OEM bleeders.

Sorry for the waste of band width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Thanks for the link.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:06 PM
We doan need no steenkin badge

The video is going to be a big help, thanks very much.

I do have one question re wheel bleeding, why can't it be done with the pads in place in the calipers ?
Once you start the procedure they'd just be pressed against the rotor wouldn't they?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:28 AM
Entering the on-ramp

If you have almost new brakes I wouldn't bother with shimming them out. The reason you push pistons back into the caliper, is to remove as much of the old fluid from the caliper itself. If you don't push them back you probably won't get all the old fluid out. Is it a major issue, probably not. But it's what BMW recommends in the manual. Also the piston are where you"ll most likely get corrosion due to moisture, which will eventually cause piston seals to leak! So follow the manual! If you don't have the tools the make the shim, remove the caliper and you could just use a bunch of tongue depressors or something similar to accomplish the same thing. With piston pushed back, something one inch thick will fit perfectly to keep piston back while bleeding.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Site Contributor

konto is right in suggesting that old fluid will remain behind the piston unless it is fully pushed back. However I think that even if the piston is left against the rotor as you suggest, the old fluid could possibly be diluted somewhat anyway. At the end of the day, if a little old fluid remains, while it would contaminate your new fluid, it would not be by much as the proportion of old fluid behind the piston would be considerably less that the total amount of new fluid introduced. Regular annual flushing will also help. How often do you flush the brakes in you car? What is very important, possibly critical to longevity of the ABS is regular activating of the ABS function. Lack of ABS activation I believe is a major contributor to the demise of our ABS units. The best way to "exercise" the ABS is to apply the brakes at low speed on a metal/shingle (don't know what you call them in the States) road. Apply the brakes enough to feel the pulse of the ABS. This is much easier and far more gentle on your drivetrain than activating the ABS on the blacktop.
The family history: