I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Getting up to speed

Laid bike down at 20MPH. May have small chip of magnesium head cover inside engine

Hello Everyone,

Well, i went over the bars at 20MPH on thursday night. Front wheel washed out due to some sand in a corner that i did not see. I'm okay but a bit sore still.

My bike has scratched main panel, upper trim panel, bend gearshift & my left system case is trashed.

Also, the magnesium cylinder head cover made contact w/the asphalt and has a small-ish hole in it now. I couldn't find the missing piece of magnesium at the crash-site, but I am now worried that it's actually inside the engine somewhere.

I have pulled off the cover and looked inside, but can't see much with the cams & timing chain sprockets, etc in the way.

What I am wondering is, how bad is this? Can I possibly remedy the situation by cycling many oil and filter changes though the bike and look for magnesium shards in the oil?

I know the proper way to fix this would be to take the engine apart, but I don't have the thousands of dollars it would take to pay a mechanic to do this.....and I'm not too sure I can tackle it myself.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Kris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8434.jpg (310.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8432.jpg (348.6 KB, 221 views)

99/94 Ducati Monster 900, too many mods to list here...
Old 08-11-2014, 04:58 AM
Getting up to speed

Re: Laid bike down at 20MPH. May have small chip of magnesium head cover inside engine

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I am no exzpert, however gravity may have helped your cause(the bike was facing down on the damaged side for a while) , and if you stopped the engine from running soon after whilst still on its side this again may have helped.
Could you put wheels of bike on blocks to increase lean angle on sidestand and clean with oilly rags to try and recover any magnesium (it is a shame that it is not magnetic).
Hope someone comes along soon with some advice/reassurance this must be a reasonably common occurance!

Mark
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'kmark1200rs' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 05:36 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Re: Laid bike down at 20MPH. May have small chip of magnesium head cover inside engine

Magnesium fragments should be fairly soft around the engine internals. The main concern is pickup and blockage of oil drillings, but in theory they should be trapped by the oil filter. Most likely they will get to the bottom of the engine and eventually accumulate in the bottom of the sump pan or around the sump pickup strainer. I can't remember the oil drain path from the left side cover, but I think it is not a huge drain and a large fragment may get trapped there. With the engine cover off you need to look inside to see how oil is drained back under gravity.

Provided you have visually checked and removed fragments you can see, a useful tool is a kerosene blow gun connected to an air line. When you discover the gravity oil drain behind the cover, temporarily block them up and blast clean the whole of the camshaft assemblies, being careful to protect any exposed engine internals where you may have removed covers (timing cover?). You don't want to blow rubbish into other places!

I wouldn't waste time and money on lots of oil flushes to start with. Remove the cover (2 bolts and the cover gasket is re-usable rubber) and carefully remove what you can see around the camshafts and casings. Then drain out about a quart of oil and put back a quart of kerosene or drain all the oil and replace with a proprietary engine flushing oil. Fit the engine cover and run ONLY AT IDLE for a few minutes. Drain the flushing oil but leave the oil filter in place. You need a lighter flushing oil mix to stop ali particles sticking and lodging in awkward places you can't get to.

Remove the sump cover to get access to the large metal gauze oil pickup. It is probably best to remove it to clean it out properly (1 bolt?), and of course clean the sump cover. Check up inside corners with a flash light for any residue. All this can be done with the motor in the frame and lying on your back! You will have plenty of time whilst your plastics are away being repaired and painted. Because it is easy, also remove the right side engine cover and look around there after the first flush and drain.

Replace the sump cover re-using same gasket and half a dozen screws and both engine covers. Repeat the flushing and gentle idle no revs! Don't worry if you see a sump cover oil weep.

Let the bike rest for 15 minutes then drain the flushing. Remove the sump and both engine covers, check and clean then replace with a new sump cover gasket and torque all bolts.

Finally, replace oil filter and oil.

You cannot afford to have a dealer teardown your engine so be pedantic and careful. If you take short cuts you take the risks!

Glad you are o.k - bikes can always be fixed.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'voxmagna' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergweiserus
..... Also, the magnesium cylinder head cover made contact w/the asphalt and has a small-ish hole in it now. I couldn't find the missing piece of magnesium at the crash-site, but I am now worried that it's actually inside the engine somewhere....
Hi Kris, having statyed at a Holiday Inn in the past (and a few years in mechanical design) I believe the large chunk went roadside. look closely at the tear on the valve cover and imaginge you have that chunk. It woud lay on TOP of the leading edge, indicating it was torn out and not pushed in.

Can't be 100% certain but I'd go with 99%.

Glad you are OK. Two crashes recently and both walked away. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

I also wouldn't worry much....probably left behind. But still not very hard to release the cam sprocket and remove the cam, that would give you some access to that lower recess in the timing cover.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,835 Times in 2,821 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you're OK, that's the important thing. As one friend of mind says, anything that can be fixed with a check is not a problem.

My hunch is that the piece was ground off and not much is inside, but that's just a hunch.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Getting up to speed

Hey thanks Everyone - that is some great info. I really appreciate the help and the thoughts.

I'm going to take all of your advice. Voxmagna, i'm going to go through the process you described and yes, like you say - i'll have plenty of time while my panels are being repaired, LOL....

Fortunately i have a nice garage with tons of tools and a roommate who is also into working on bikes.

i will report back as the investigation goes and how things are doing.

Fortunately, i have my Ducati to ride in the meantime while i'm tackling the Beemer repairs.

Take care everyone, thanks again and ride safe!
-Kris

Old 08-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-K1200LT-K1200-LT-LEFT-SIDE-VALVE-COVER-/380967592716?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b37 0230c&vxp=mtr

Check that out.
The LT is a RS with clothes.

So, the valve cover should be the same.

Remove the valve cover. It's very easy and you can reuse the gasket (or use gasket maker to make sure).
Inspect.
Nothing happened to your engine. Just make sure that nothing will.

The valve cover above is cheap.
Make sure it fits though, I'm sure people here can chime in.
BMW R1200GS 2008
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
BMW K1200S 2007 (in my stable, we'll see)

-----------------------------------------------------
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mondrage' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Glad to hear you're OK!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JBanks' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-K1200LT-K1200-LT-LEFT-SIDE-VALVE-COVER-/380967592716?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b37 0230c&vxp=mtr

Remove the valve cover. It's very easy and you can reuse the gasket (or use gasket maker to make sure).
Inspect.
Nothing happened to your engine. Just make sure that nothing will.

Thanks for the suggestion on eBay, mondrage. I am happy to hear that i can reuse the rubber gasket also...

Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Site Contributor

While you are at it, remove all the rubber stoppers/washers from the fixing bolts on both the magnesium covers and submerge them in boiling water for a few minutes. This will rejuvenate the rubber and prevent them weeping as they can be prone to do after time.
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flying Kiwi' for this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
While you are at it, remove all the rubber stoppers/washers from the fixing bolts on both the magnesium covers and submerge them in boiling water for a few minutes. This will rejuvenate the rubber and prevent them weeping as they can be prone to do after time.

great idea! thanks

Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,159 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Keep us posted as to how this all works out!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 08-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Keep us posted as to how this all works out!

WILL DO, Louis! it may take a bit of time but i will definitely keep everyone posted

Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Over the bars... I hate that!

I agree that you should take the valve cover off and look for any ingested material. It won't take much time or materials and with the high RPMs these motors run at, it will take very little abuse to ruin your wallet.

Ride on!

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ZATO' for this post:
Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZATO
Over the bars... I hate that!

Same here... even worse when I'm skiing!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 09-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Well, after a little over a year of sitting dormant I finally got my K12GT fired up again. I am SO happy about it.

Because of a lot of crap that happened to me over the course of the last year, I just haven't been able to focus my time and energy on getting it back on the road - the accident happened right as autumn was about to set in, then my dog passed away, then my girl broke up with me, then I moved to a completely different part of the country and began a new job, etc... BUT last weekend I was able to devote the proper time & focus on getting it going again.

What has happened so far:

-Bike sat without being run for 54 weeks, 1/2 of that time outside (covered) with the hole in magnesium timing cover taped over.

-Could not find any bits of mag in engine.

-Made a JB weld at hole in mag cover.....solid patch job, I'm totally happy with it.

-Battery was COMPLETELY dead-as-a-doornail, so I installed a new Odyssey PC680.

-Filled with Castrol 20w50 full synth and installed new K&N filter.

-Performed TPS calibration (key on, throttle closed then to WOT hold 3 secs, repeat 3X, key off).

-Bike fired up IMMEDIATELY with one short push of the button. I was blown away....it started as if nothing had even happened. No hesitation, no hiccuping, no nothing but the SWEET purring sound of the inline-4 out of Remus full-system.

-Let engine temp come up a bit past when the fans kicked in, about 10-12 mins. Repeated this about an hour later.

-Next week, picking up BMW full synth 20w50 (the oil it's had it's entire life) and a new K&N filter. Draining flush oil/filt and filling with new stuff & filt.

-Still have to purchase the 'Upper Trim Panel' and a gear shift from Bike Bandit. Those two items are going to be just under $1K, so it may be 2 weeks before I can drop that dough.

-Have not yet decided what to do about my left side case replacement. Still open to buying a used one and repainting it Orientblau if need be and doing a barrel swap.

BUT - just wanted to let you all know what happened with me and the bike since you all were so helpful when I had the wreck last year. This whole thing has been a source of depression for me for sure, for over a year. I AM SO HAPPY it's finally coming together again. I can't wait to get the panel and gear shift and take it for a long-ass ride, hahaha

The following (6) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bergweiserus' for this post:
Old 09-01-2015, 12:21 PM
ŘZNAM
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,431 Posts

Glad you got it going again!

I wouldn't bother changing the oil, Castrol used to make the BMW oil. It will be fine.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Glad you got it going again!

I wouldn't bother changing the oil, Castrol used to make the BMW oil. It will be fine.

Thanks a bunch, Rick! Sounds good...i'm so excited to take it for a ride soon.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 PM

Glad that you finally got to round the corner(s)...

Go out for more rides as old man winter ain't that far from coming for an extended visit!

Cheers

Ride West 2008
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Louis' for this post:
Old 09-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
-Still have to purchase the 'Upper Trim Panel' and a gear shift from Bike Bandit. Those two items are going to be just under $1K, so it may be 2 weeks before I can drop that dough.

You can have this shifter piece if it's one of the pieces you need. It's from a 2003 K1200RS.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 09-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Site Contributor

Great to hear you got her back on the road.

Quote:

You might consider having a body shop repair and then re-paint them. I did that withthe 2 large (main) fairing panels on a K1200S and it cost less than $500. And the paint match was perfect.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
You can have this shifter piece if it's one of the pieces you need. It's from a 2003 K1200RS.

Wow, Lee - that's a heck of an offer. Thank you....I'll send you a PM.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
Great to hear you got her back on the road.

You might consider having a body shop repair and then re-paint them. I did that withthe 2 large (main) fairing panels on a K1200S and it cost less than $500. And the paint match was perfect.

Thanks Bobby,

The only problem with my Upper Trim panel is that a few of the bolt brackets busted off in the impact...and it's scratched to hell on one side. Fixing it would be costly at this point, I figure. My Main Panel has some scratches that I'll probably take to a body shop.

Great idea..!!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 AM

d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee

I coudda offered one of mine but they kinda get grinded down...

I'M SURE i GOT A PIC SOMEWHERE...

Ride West 2008
Old 09-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Debbie's Servant

Kris, I mailed the shifter part today and you should have it by Saturday or Monday.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Kris, I mailed the shifter part today and you should have it by Saturday or Monday.

This is awesome - Thank you tons, Lee!! I'll post pics and do what we talked about.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Site Contributor

I got an idea if you want to avoid laying it down in the future...yesterday I saw a silver/red K1200RS with a sidecar....

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you're stupid and Chuck Norris wasn't there to talk you out of it.

www.trentj.com

DOWNLOAD Trent J The Junkyard
20 song album- iTunes, Amazon, etc. Some music for your ride
I think my best one might be Blue Junkyard (Sarah's Song)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Trent J' for this post:
Old 09-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks Lee - the shifter came very quickly! You're one cool dude, I'm blown away by the generosity.

....and packed for shipping like a champion

I'm a step closer and so happy!!

Thanks Again!!
-KB

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bergweiserus' for this post:
Old 09-10-2015, 11:22 AM

Wink Re: Laid bike down at 20MPH. May have small chip of magnesium head cover inside engine

Quote:
Thanks Lee - the shifter came very quickly! You're one cool dude, I'm blown away by the generosity.

....and packed for shipping like a champion

I'm a step closer and so happy!!

Thanks Again!!
-KB
I replaced many of them (still can't find a pic to show you how much is grinded off) but I do know that they cost something like $75.00 each. That's a generous gesture all right. A small word of advice... You could be top notch by showing a little appreciation and sending a donation to the site. It's always welcome. I've never sold anything here unless it went to i-BMW. But Lee being the great guy we all know, just gave it to you with no second thought.
Meddling Louis over and out.

Ride West 2008
Old 09-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
I do know that they cost something like $75.00 each.

They're up to $119 US now. That's nuts for that small piece.
Kris plans to make a site donation and buy me a beer at THCR next spring.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 09-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
They're up to $119 US now. That's nuts for that small piece.
Kris plans to make a site donation and buy me a beer at THCR next spring.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:39 PM
Getting up to speed

Yes, Lee is a very generous guy. Site donation coming soon and beer at the rally!

I've almost got everything back together:

-Engine cover JB Weld is holding perfectly; no leaks

-Oil flushes completed

-Lee's gear shift bolted on

-Found an UPPER TRIM PANEL on eBay (wrong color but it's in amazing shape....gonna have a friend who works at a BMW body shop paint match it)

-Repaired my left rear turn sig

-Waiting for new left front turn sig-housing to arrive this week

......the signal housing is the final piece and then it'll be back on the road. I'll post when that happens. Sorry I've been absent, with work and trying to get all this together in my apartment parking lot, it's been kinda crazy as I also had to replace the clutch on my Ducati two weeks ago. Will be in touch....

Old 09-30-2015, 02:28 AM
part time American
Thanked 1,341 Times in 327 Posts

Looks like you did the same I did three weeks ago
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=54845
Good to see nothing serious happened though. Repairs can be done (my bike is blue again already).

Tom
Old 10-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Getting up to speed

PAY-PAL -> I-BMW donation completed. Thanks for the help guys..... will be checking in now and then. Very much appreciate all of the help.

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bergweiserus' for this post:
Old 10-25-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
PAY-PAL -> I-BMW donation completed. Thanks for the help guys..... will be checking in now and then. Very much appreciate all of the help.

We appreciate the appreciation bud!

Do come back, maybe you can tell the tale how that bike brought you somewhere fantastic!! (with pics! )

Cheers

Ride West 2008
Old 10-25-2015, 10:39 AM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Thumbs up Re: Laid bike down at 20MPH. May have small chip of magnesium head cover inside engine

01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 10-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Shooting the gap

What Louis said.
Best wishes.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Getting up to speed

Hi All!

Wanted to update on the bike after all the repairs and fretting over stuff.

It's been a year and my K12GT is running perfectly! Not one problem; not one drop of oil from my JB Weld case repair, no sign of acting weird in any way, everything is great. I've even been spinning the engine up quite high....runs like a charm all the way up to right below redline. SO happy.

The last two weeks I've been tackling my left system-case repair which has involved removing the Multi Function Box from the bottom half and scratch repair + repainting the top half.

I've got the top half all sanded and prepped for basecoat.
Purchasing a new bottom half next week and installing the original Multi Function Box at that time.

This is my first time doing ANY body work and after multiple sanding steps and all the prepping which goes into painting I NOW SEE why painted parts are so dang expensive. Go through this and you'll never question the high cost of painted parts....

I hope all of you are doing great and having fun riding!! Wanted to also say thanks for all the support and help with me tackling this repair. It's been quite an experience getting my BMW back to where it should be: gorgeous and mean

Old 10-14-2016, 05:42 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Quote:
Hi All!

Wanted to update on the bike after all the repairs and fretting over stuff.

It's been a year and my K12GT is running perfectly! Not one problem; not one drop of oil from my JB Weld case repair, no sign of acting weird in any way, everything is great. I've even been spinning the engine up quite high....runs like a charm all the way up to right below redline. SO happy.

The last two weeks I've been tackling my left system-case repair which has involved removing the Multi Function Box from the bottom half and scratch repair + repainting the top half.

I've got the top half all sanded and prepped for basecoat.
Purchasing a new bottom half next week and installing the original Multi Function Box at that time.

This is my first time doing ANY body work and after multiple sanding steps and all the prepping which goes into painting I NOW SEE why painted parts are so dang expensive. Go through this and you'll never question the high cost of painted parts....

I hope all of you are doing great and having fun riding!! Wanted to also say thanks for all the support and help with me tackling this repair. It's been quite an experience getting my BMW back to where it should be: gorgeous and mean

Thanks for taking the time to update this. How about a picture?

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:01 PM
*Disclaimer below

Old 10-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
Thanks for taking the time to update this. How about a picture?

Hi Pete, I'm going camping (in the truck) this weekend but when I get back I'll take some pics and post here.
Thanks for asking

Old 10-30-2016, 03:18 PM
Getting up to speed

....having trouble posting photos. there seems to be some sort of error going on. hmm.....

Old 01-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Getting up to speed

One of the last pieces I needed to collect in the ongoing saga of getting my bike back to perfection! Arrived today and installing it this weekend....finally can get rid of my original cover with the JB Weld patch I made. It was ugly, but it worked until I found a proper replacement.

I found this beauty on eBay from Bavarian Cycle Works (...in SF). Not a scratch on it and perfect condition.

My Main Panel is being repaired and repainted by Austin Paintworks. I should have it back by this weekend. http://austinpaintworks.com/

It's been a long road, getting everything back together. Moral of the story: make sure you have updated your collision insurance BEFORE getting into a wreck.

I performed a high-side having forgotten that I reduced my insurance due to the bike being in storage for a while. To my surprise, when I went to file a claim they informed me that my collision coverage hadn't yet been re-instated

Lesson learned.....!

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bergweiserus' for this post:
Lee
Old 01-30-2018, 06:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Im kinda surprised you even took the insurance off, thankfully mine is so cheap I wouldn't even bother. Ive read some horable post on this web site about guys not having full coverage only to come back and really bite them in the ass. Im glad your getting her all back together, spring is comming
Old 01-30-2018, 08:52 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Im kinda surprised you even took the insurance off, thankfully mine is so cheap I wouldn't even bother. Ive read some horable post on this web site about guys not having full coverage only to come back and really bite them in the ass. Im glad your getting her all back together, spring is comming

Yeah, at the time of the wreck i had lost my job, was dirt broke & bleeding money so i had to trim everywhere possible. Since the bike was safely locked up in storage, there was no need for the collision part of my insurance.

Things are much better now though and the bike (and me) are fully covered in a big way.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm excited for riding too.....but as for spring riding coming, in south central Texas spring is the end of the season; summer in 100 degrees & humid isn't the greatest in full gear

Old 01-30-2018, 11:34 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I’m happy for you that things turned for the better, I totally understand you need to do what you need to do. Thankfully things are working out!
USA IS BACK
Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Hey, Bergweiserus,

GLAD to hear things are going well now!!

If you are still concerned about any metal pieces still in the engine, you could get one of these "cell phone bore scope" things, stick it up in the oil drain hole and have a look around. I picked this one up for $10 and it came with a 90 deg mirror, a hook, and a magnet, and seems like it would be ideal for doing this type thing. I'm very happy with the image quality it has.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My money says you don't find anything, tho!!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lowndes' for this post:
Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM
Site Contributor

Glad you kept the bike and are now able to resurrect her. Ride safe!....And send another picture when you get the faring back on.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 05-31-2018, 09:25 PM
Getting up to speed

A LOT of work done to get this back on the road and looking good again....finally proud to post some pics.

clearly that didn't work.....reading photo posting instructions -again- .....

Old 05-31-2018, 09:38 PM
Getting up to speed

The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bergweiserus' for this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 12:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

H I agree with the above comments the fragments probably not in your engine compartment as pressure happens to be Howard that in word and I do feel like you should change your oil just to be sure. If you do not have another valve cover easily available to you I suggest using JB Weld to seal the hole and then powder coat the outside of the color you want and your brakes fixed as far as you're faring I suggest you look up on eBay for are you faring at the China that will come brand new it will cost you about 300 bucks complete including whatever paint color you want just look under motorcycle fairings you need to have a good day
Old 06-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
A LOT of work done to get this back on the road and looking good again....finally proud to post some pics.

Looks good

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Talking Re: Laid bike down at 20MPH. May have small chip of magnesium head cover inside engine

It has a lot of life in these older bikes
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 06-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Looks good

THANKS Lee....!! Your shifter is working great

Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTexas
It has a lot of life in these older bikes

Hi James, yes - I just rolled over 50,000 MI and feel like it's just broken in, lol.... I plan on a lot more.