I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-08-2015, 01:26 PM
The Dude abides.

Send a message via Skype™ to FLHRSI
Noob Tool Question - what's in your toolbox?

I am not mechanically inclined but with a shop manual I was able to do some basic things on my Harley. I have changed exhausts, added various chrome doodads, changed the fluids, etc. . However it seems working on a BMW will require a different compliment of tools. I'm never going to tear into the engine or do anything overly complicated. That said I would like to have the right tools around to perform some of the more routine or less complicated tasks on my own.

I plan to start with the Shop DVD. After that, what tools do you recommend I purchase so I'm not running off to the store in the middle of a project in search of a tool? I already have the basics, Wrenches, socket sets, etc. What else do I need?

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,527 Times in 3,208 Posts

Re: Noob Tool Question - what's in your toolbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHRSI
I am not mechanically inclined but with a shop manual I was able to do some basic things on my Harley. I have changed exhausts, added various chrome doodads, changed the fluids, etc. . However it seems working on a BMW will require a different compliment of tools. I'm never going to tear into the engine or do anything overly complicated. That said I would like to have the right tools around to perform some of the more routine or less complicated tasks on my own.

I plan to start with the Shop DVD. After that, what tools do you recommend I purchase so I'm not running off to the store in the middle of a project in search of a tool? I already have the basics, Wrenches, socket sets, etc. What else do I need?

Thanks for your input!
Howard:

Metric tools for sure - a set of torx sockets - a good torque wrench - or two or three. I have several - I have found that torque wrenches at their lower or upper ranges tend to be not as accurate as in the mid range of their field.

And of course as you go along add the tool/tools you need.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Site Contributor

A set of Torx sockets is a must. Get one of those long flexible plunger grabber things for when you drop a fastener inside somewhere. A magnet is useless as most fasteners are aluminum. Small flashlight and a good working back cause you will spend lots of time on you back. If you're into farkeling and don't have small hands have a kid available.
2005 Ducati 999-The I-talian Mistress-sold but missed
2004 KGT, Gen 1, Orient Blue
Old 03-08-2015, 01:46 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

T handle Torx and metric hex a must, throw in some ball head hex while you're at it!

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 03-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,080 Posts

Although I have many tools, and most of the ones already mentioned, I haven't really actively begun working on my bikes. Still learning, still want competent hands on them, still have very little time and experience. I should have started a long time ago though.

That said, some useful items to make things go smoother: very low shop stool on wheels, small saucers to place your removed nuts and bolts in so they don't get lost, adequate and stable bike stands or table lifts. I will probably get a table lift when I finally decide to start working on them, but haven't decided on what brand.

Great thread!

Thanks for starting it!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 03-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I've found a set of torx screwdrivers like these to be the most used tools on my K

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'lfoggy' for this post:
Old 03-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Always Am!

Wiha Torx, available on Amazon, most made in Germany, great quality for the reasonable price. 22mm hex for the front wheel, some spark sockets will have that on the bottom. Here is the genuine BMW hex, perhaps the least expensive tool BMW has ever offered, http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...T_36%203%20691
Old 03-09-2015, 12:39 AM
Site Contributor

Ageed, torx screwdrivers are a must. Get a really good volt meter. A couple years ago my wife got me a lift table from Harbour Freight. Not too expensive but works great.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

Torque wrenches for sure, and some of the liquids, locktite, lubes, couple different greases, neverseize,etc. A tap and die set is real handy for cleaning out threads before reassemble. A couple hammers, dead blow, soft tip. Carpenter type hammers are a no-no. A decent stereo is handy too. A camera to show where all the parts go. Buy a bag of shop towels. Brake cleaner to clean parts. Beer.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:01 PM
The Dude abides.

Send a message via Skype™ to FLHRSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Howard:

Metric tools for sure - a set of torx sockets - a good torque wrench - or two or three. I have several - I have found that torque wrenches at their lower or upper ranges tend to be not as accurate as in the mid range of their field.

And of course as you go along add the tool/tools you need.

Hi Bruce,
I have never owned a torque wrench. Always just assumed that with the loose tolerances on a Harley, my approximations were good enough.
Now that I own a marvel of German engineering, I agree its a good idea to invest in some torque wrenches. Do you have any specific recommendations?
(Generally speaking, I have always had good luck with Craftsman tools from Sears as well as Husky from Home Depot (both come with lifetime warranties).
Old 03-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

This may be controversial but I think torque wrenches are somewhat overrated. Anyone with a little experience and some mechanical understanding can manage perfectly well without one. Furthermore they don't measure the right variable. What we are interested in is the axial strain in a bolt. The torque wrench just measures tightening torque which may be related to the axial strain but is affected by lots of other factors - quality of the thread, lubrication of the thread and particularly the seating of the bolt head. This becomes particularly important when dealing with older bikes where the condition of threads and fasteners can be very variable. Although I've got a few torque wrenches in my workshop I don't use them that much...
Old 03-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoggy
This may be controversial but I think torque wrenches are somewhat overrated. Anyone with a little experience and some mechanical understanding can manage perfectly well without one. Furthermore they don't measure the right variable. What we are interested in is the axial strain in a bolt. The torque wrench just measures tightening torque which may be related to the axial strain but is affected by lots of other factors - quality of the thread, lubrication of the thread and particularly the seating of the bolt head. This becomes particularly important when dealing with older bikes where the condition of threads and fasteners can be very variable. Although I've got a few torque wrenches in my workshop I don't use them that much...

In the early days I never used a torque wrench. Nuts and bolts were made of honest steel and the parts they held together were sturdy and robust. Nowadays you can easily strip a thread, twist a bolt head clean off or ruin a part because of the cheap or light weight materials used. Or you can apply too little force and lose a part or create an oil leak with disastrous results. Thats why I use a torque wrench on all important nuts and bolts. The way I see it modern BMW's are full of "suspicious" ones like the small bleeder on the master brake cylinder, the aluminum clutch covers bolts, rear wheel bolts and the various oil filling and draining plugs. I for one don't trust my gut feeling anymore when tightening these items. The thought alone scares the hell out of me.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'henkpenk' for this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 12:27 AM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Quote:
I've found a set of torx screwdrivers like these to be the most used tools on my K

Don't forget a short torx #9 for the switchgears
Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
This may be controversial but I think torque wrenches are somewhat overrated.

Controversial or not, IMO the problem is when the guy who tight a bolt or nut has no idea about forces, then overadjust or let it too loose. Torque wrench serves to that objective.
If you have some experience you can use the torque wrench the first time to "feel" the force, after that is not necessary.
Except logically some special bolts like conrod as example because it works at the limit of resistance or elasticity
Old 03-10-2015, 12:44 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

Don't forget the 8mm Allen hex for the oil drain plug, preferably 3/8" drive so you can use your hotly debated torque wrench. And a oil filter wrench of some sort. I also like an additional tool. I use it on my cars too. An oil suction device, something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er%2Caps%2C354
Makes it easy to drain the remote tank and gets more out than the drain tube.
BMW uses "crush" washers as a seal on most of their drain plugs (transmission on K1200RS & relatives notable exception). This washer seals best if the plug is driven home at the suggested torque level. It also feels a little like the threads have given way so be prepared.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 03-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Long Torx sockets are one thing I've recently invested in. Couldn't have removed my rear disc without them. Short ones just don't fit as they sit too close to the final drive housing.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Twisted Wrister

I had a BMW K1200RS prior to my 2007 K1200R. Here are the tools that I find you really need:

- Metal strap wrench oil filter removal / install tool
- Set of screwdriver torx drivers
- Set of allen wrench shaped torx wrenches
- Reverse torx sockets.
- AC/DC Volt OHM Amp meter.
- Inch pound torque wrench
- Foot pound torx wrench
- Set of metric wrenches
- Set of metric sockets
-GS-911

Bill
Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Here's some of my favorite stuff beyond the basics but cheap and simple and priceless.

Square drive universal joints http://www.harborfreight.com/3-pc-un...set-67986.html , cordless drill, magnetic screw/torx bit holder http://www.harborfreight.com/magneti...der-36555.html , and square (think ratchet) adapters for your cordless drill https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...O4SagwT664HQCg . This allows you to speed off and on nearly any fastener without need for compressed air. Huge time saver.

Head band headlight or three that runs on rechargable AAA batteries. http://www.walmart.com/ip/COLEMAN-20...dlamp/34761206 Coleman makes the best I've found, high lumen output, lightweight and stable, and affordable. Way better than stationary lighting, you look at it it's lit.

Boxes of sturdy rubber/latex/nitrile gloves. Soooo much better than not. I found some cool black ones most recently, don't remember where though. Autozone has my previous favorites. Also "Rags in a box" http://www.staples.com/Scott-Rags-in...product_866666 are great, especially when you spray some simple green cleaner on them, like a heavy duty garage handy-wipe.

Wheeled service cart to wheel out next to whatever you're working on. Priceless. I actually have two different ones now. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=service+cart

Otherwise for actual common tools, the list is endless. Channel locks, hammers from dead/rubber/steel from small/medium large, sets of driver bits.

TORQUE WRENCHES. Buy cheap and calibrate often. Unless you can afford expensive. Cheap works fine as long as you verify proper calibration, which is simple if you use your head. As in a 45lb weight a foot out on the wrench should make the wrench click at 45 lb ft, but not 11.5 inches out, when holding the wrench in a vise horizontally by the square. Replacement parts makers and professional mechanics make billions on people who think they're too cool for torque wrenches.

As for tools to carry on the bike, one of my most interesting is I bought a small slime brand 12V air compressor, took it apart (removed housing) and stashed the various parts under my seat and inside the body panels next to the seat. You'd never know it's there, but I can pull it out and use it. Just be careful as it gets VERY hot! Don't burn yourself or worse your bike.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'XRx' for this post:
Old 03-20-2015, 02:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHRSI
Hi Bruce,
I have never owned a torque wrench. Always just assumed that with the loose tolerances on a Harley, my approximations were good enough.
Now that I own a marvel of German engineering, I agree its a good idea to invest in some torque wrenches. Do you have any specific recommendations?
(Generally speaking, I have always had good luck with Craftsman tools from Sears as well as Husky from Home Depot (both come with lifetime warranties).
Howard:

I mostly use Snap-On but Craftsman is fine. The trick is to make sure after using you set the wrench back to zero - take the tension off the wrench. I also try to use in the middle of the wrenches range. What I mean I don't use a torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft lbs on a 15 ft lbs bolt. The upper and lower ranges tend to be not as accurate. Also I get them calibrated every few years.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-20-2015, 02:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Not to be controversial - everyone has the right to their opinion and everyone has the right to do what they want with their own vehicles. But I disagree 100% but that is me.

I've been wrenching my entire life - have owned a few car businesses and ran a heavy equipment service department - our own fleet was $20M not including all the customer work.

The best techs we had could not tell what 75 ft lbs or for that matter 150 ft lbs felt like. Guessing is just that guessing. And depending on what it is you are tightening never mind the wrong torque could cause a failure to the machine - the wrong torque on certain components could be life threating to the operator.

Okay sorry you like red - I only like black - that's what makes the world go around.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-20-2015, 03:02 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Not to be controversial - everyone has the right to their opinion and everyone has the right to do what they want with their own vehicles. But I disagree 100% but that is me.

I've been wrenching my entire life - have owned a few car businesses and ran a heavy equipment service department - our own fleet was $20M not including all the customer work.

The best techs we had could not tell what 75 ft lbs or for that matter 150 ft lbs felt like. Guessing is just that guessing. And depending on what it is you are tightening never mind the wrong torque could cause a failure to the machine - the wrong torque on certain components could be life threating to the operator.

Okay sorry you like red - I only like black - that's what makes the world go around.

Nah torque wrenches are a myth like engine break-in procedures Bruce, haha couldn't resist
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 03-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

I don't ride with tools! Been known to carry a few spanners, though.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Crashing the net!!!

I wish I could justify snap on tools, but the reality is if I did I'd have far fewer tools. For example my torque wrenches cost about 10% what snap on would cost, so I just calibrate them often, they work fine, and buying cheap allows me to afford far more variety of tools. Name it, dial indicator mounts, scan tools, ratchet drives, power tools, snap on much higher quality but far more expensive.

Only snap on gear I have are my 16$ mechanics gloves, which are great when appropriate, as they fit, well, like a glove...

Old 03-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
I wish I could justify snap on tools, but the reality is if I did I'd have far fewer tools. For example my torque wrenches cost about 10% what snap on would cost, so I just calibrate them often, they work fine, and buying cheap allows me to afford far more variety of tools. Name it, dial indicator mounts, scan tools, ratchet drives, power tools, snap on much higher quality but far more expensive.

Only snap on gear I have are my 16$ mechanics gloves, which are great when appropriate, as they fit, well, like a glove...
Jay:

No doubt Snap-on tools are expensive - I acquired a lot of them from my days of owning my car business - very convenient the tool guy came to you.

And me personally I never did the payment plan(that is why they cost so much)so my tool guy always gave me a pretty good discount for paying cash.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Nice day for somethin'

When on the road I always have a Motion-Pro Torx wrench set:

Here is the web site: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0421/. It fits under the seat. I also carry a spare H-7 light in a cut-down package in that little box area under the seat.

When taking a trip long enough to need saddlebags, in the right bag I take my GS-911 (works with my iPhone), a tire plug kit, my BestRest tire pump and inline pressure gauge. Still room in the right bag for a couple beers.

Left bag is for spare gloves, water bottle, camera, hat, etc.

You need low range (25 lb-ft) and a high range (100 lb-ft) torque wrenches, with a plan to get a medium range (50 lb-ft) one in the future. Maybe you should order 'em in N-m. These guys make torque wrenches for Snap-On, and they cost only about 2/3 what Snap-On charges: http://www.torqwrench.com/home.php.

Seeya
ATB
Old 03-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

Quote:

I am amazed how many techs do not know how to use a torque wrench. They think if it clicks it's fine, never mind it could double the torque. A lot of tire shops use torque wrenches,,, after the rattle gun runs out of air they grab the wrench and make sure it clicks, can't grasp the idea that 9 billion foot pounds is not the same as 45.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,330 Posts

A pocket telescope magnetic pick-up tool can come in pretty handy.

1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 California (Police Edition)
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 03-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
I am amazed how many techs do not know how to use a torque wrench. They think if it clicks it's fine, never mind it could double the torque. A lot of tire shops use torque wrenches,,, after the rattle gun runs out of air they grab the wrench and make sure it clicks, can't grasp the idea that 9 billion foot pounds is not the same as 45.
Jim:

Good points for sure - using a torque wrench does not mean the user is doing it correctly.

Your tire example - I have seen that numerous times. The tech puts all the lug nuts on with their air gun @ who knows what torque value then they grab their torque wrench when it it clicks immediately must be right. Could be triple the needed value.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Jim:

Good points for sure - using a torque wrench does not mean the user is doing it correctly.

Your tire example - I have seen that numerous times. The tech puts all the lug nuts on with their air gun @ who knows what torque value then they grab their torque wrench when it it clicks immediately must be right. Could be triple the needed value.

Yup. Another reason I bought some economy tire changing gear and do all my own tire replacements now on all of my vehicles no matter how many wheels they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUas5LIY_ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuH5BzAR4a4

I did spring the extra cash to buy the nice nomar tire iron for $140 shipped I think it was, as seen in this video, you can see it's easier to use than cheap ones, plus plastic wheel protectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N80C7eEOyMY

Old 03-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Twisted Wrister

And advice from an arthritic elder rider, get a variable speed electric driver.
I use a DeWalt brushless. Removal of the fairing is much faster and easier, I usually loosen a bolt then spin it out with the driver. At the end of the day using the driver can change a two day job into a one day job. You may have to make an adapter or two to get a torx inserted.
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcf620m2.aspx
Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
And advice from an arthritic elder rider, get a variable speed electric driver.
I use a DeWalt brushless. Removal of the fairing is much faster and easier, I usually loosen a bolt then spin it out with the driver. At the end of the day using the driver can change a two day job into a one day job. You may have to make an adapter or two to get a torx inserted.
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcf620m2.aspx

Wow that's expensive haha, pretty though. But just FYI to the OP, much cheaper similar tools are available. Can get a black and decker for about $50.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

[quote=Paughco]When on the road I always have a Motion-Pro Torx wrench set:

After reading this thread i've realised that I need to update my on–bike tool kit as the "K" uses mainly torx fittings. What range will cover my roadside needs, has the one pictured above got all the options covered, or will 10-40 do it? Darn progress....
Old 03-23-2015, 06:05 PM
Twisted Wrister

I seldom carry any tools, just not worth the weight any where near civilization.
On the other hand I am never more than 25 miles from a shop.

For cross country and Mexico I take a set of 3/8" drive metric sockets, Torx to fit the 3/8 drive (some need 1/4" adapter), multi-screwdriver, Bahco 8" crescent, ViceGrips, full roll of electrical tape and a little cheesecloth (to filter the fuel into the tank). So far this has been 100% effective getting me out of trouble, not always home but to a town at least.

More importantly, I make sure my maintenance is up to date before leaving.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Getting up to speed

Hey Mogs,
Just reading through this informative article and came across your post.
Your humour as usual is quite subtle, but I know what you mean!
Cheers,
Pete

2010 K1300S One for the road
2012 F800GS One for the no road
2013 K1300S For the NA roads
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K1300S Pete' for this post:
Old 03-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Nice day for somethin'

The smallest is a T25, which works for the body panels. The largest is a T-50, which fits the rear wheel lugs. Thankfully I've never had to try the T-50 on the rear wheel lugs. I have used a couple of the other ones on occasion. The pouch folds like a wallet and fits crosswise between frame tubes under the seat. I have a set for the GS and a set for the K.

Seeya
ATB
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Paughco' for this post:
Old 03-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Great-thankyou, will get a similar set.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paughco
The smallest is a T25, which works for the body panels. The largest is a T-50, which fits the rear wheel lugs. Thankfully I've never had to try the T-50 on the rear wheel lugs. I have used a couple of the other ones on occasion. The pouch folds like a wallet and fits crosswise between frame tubes under the seat. I have a set for the GS and a set for the K.

Seeya
ATB

I carry the same kit, but to me, the T-50 doesn't look strong enough for wheel lugs.
I'm just guessing on this
For the rear wheel lugs I carry a T-50 socket and a small breaker bar.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I see bobbys wife bought him a lift from harbour freight,
Does anybody else have one of those? If so how do you like it? I have just done a ton of work on my bike. Replaced breather hose, adj. valves, among other things,My knees and back are begging me to get a lift.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:26 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

These come up for sail in coupons, most motorcycle magazines about every 3 months. This months Motorcyclist has one and it is 299$. Can't see the harm in it, for occasional use. Next step up is Handy.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perbunan

After reading this thread i've realised that I need to update my on–bike tool kit as the "K" uses mainly torx fittings. What range will cover my roadside needs, has the one pictured above got all the options covered, or will 10-40 do it? Darn progress....

Here's what I carry under our seats. I also carry jumper cables under one of the side trim panels.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 AM

This is the optional tool set for K bikes I use to travel, I added some more inside the bag (on the bag)...

Except a particular or complex repair IMO is what to keep on the bike

Old 03-31-2015, 01:03 PM
Shooting the gap

this is a link to the tool kit I carry. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...h-bmw-tool-kit

In addition, I carry a small multi-meter and a CO2 tire repair kit.

k_enn
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'k_enn' for this post:
Old 04-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_enn
this is a link to the tool kit I carry. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...h-bmw-tool-kit

In addition, I carry a small multi-meter and a CO2 tire repair kit.

k_enn

Ken,

That looks like a decent tool kit, but many non-applicable tools or please correct me if I'm wrong, but what would you ever use any of the hex or the adjustable for? Would be extra mass and volume for nothing it seems?

Old 04-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
Ken,

That looks like a decent tool kit, but many non-applicable tools or please correct me if I'm wrong, but what would you ever use any of the hex or the adjustable for? Would be extra mass and volume for nothing it seems?

Actually, I do have several hex bolts on my bike - the Throttlemeister uses a hex, as does the mount for my GPS. In any event, the hex does not weigh that much, and I can use the tool set on my airhead which does have have a number of hex bolts.

The adjustable may not be of much use on the K13S, but again, it is useful on the airhead.

k_enn
Old 04-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Twisted Wrister

I know you can add side cases, tank bags and strap stuff to the seat for long trips but,, can you show some creative ways that you carry your tools without adding all the external storage.

I have a an 07 KR and there isn't all that much space for tool storage. Im looking at carrying stuff when you are not packed out for a long trip. Daily commute stuff.

My 02 K1200 RS had more storage than the KR.

Thanks

Bill
Old 04-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Twisted Wrister

I carry "extra" tools to help others. I have done more rescues than repairs by far.
It took some effort and cutting, but my tools fit under the seat.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
I carry "extra" tools to help others. I have done more rescues than repairs by far.
It took some effort and cutting, but my tools fit under the seat.

What did you cut to make more room??

Pictures?????

Thanks...

Bill
Old 04-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
I see bobbys wife bought him a lift from harbour freight,
Does anybody else have one of those? If so how do you like it? I have just done a ton of work on my bike. Replaced breather hose, adj. valves, among other things,My knees and back are begging me to get a lift.

I added a rollaway lift a couple of years ago and it is a Godsend. Combine it with a sturdy aluminum shop stool, and any job becomes a pleasure that can be done either in a standing or comfortably seated position . the convenience of the table for tool and part storage as you work is just great. I got along for years without one, but no more. Once you have used one you won't go back.
I have a couple of click type torque wrenches that I use whenever I'm tightening critical groups of fasteners like head bolts, camshaft shell bolts, casing bolts or such where uniformity is important.
I have all the usual socket sets as well as a large half inch drive metric hex set that is needed for many chassis fasteners on BMW's.
I usually carry the factory tool kit plus a metric socket set on the road but have seldom needed it. It's good to be able to remove a fairing if needed at any time though.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 AM
Getting up to speed

Reading through this thread for a few tips, cheers guys
Old 06-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

Ha....after attending four rally's, there's some irony in that statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
I don't ride with tools!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 06-25-2018, 07:15 AM
Getting up to speed

I haven’t done any rally’s, looking forward to getting out on the bike again, it’s been about 10 years between bikes.
My fondest memories are attending the Castrol 500? At Oran Park in 1985, on my new GSX750 Pop Up headlight Katana, rained all weekend, there and back again from Melbourne, watched the race in full wet weather gear, nearly went ass up in the mud with a pillion on, the crowd ran over and grabbed the bike to stop us tipping up as my leg slipped in the mud.
Also riding a borrowed Ducati 900ss in Kuala Lumpur with some fantastic locals, mad fun, awesome roads, great hangover the next day lol
Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 AM
Twisted Wrister

The one 'must-have' tool for the K1300S is a credit card holder . . .
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Twisted Wrister

Because the K1300S/R is so complicated, I have begun to think about this in a different way. The questions I have asked myself are: Realistically, what are you willing to repair or capable of repairing while away from home that will get you home or to a shop? What tools and spare parts are needed to make those repairs? What spare parts are you willing to carry? What capability do you have to carry parts and tools. I have lightened my load considerably.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…
Thanked 2,252 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
I don't ride with tools! Been known to carry a few spanners, though.

First time I've seen this, and the follow on comments from Canadian Pete and yourself. Gave me a little Tuesday morning chuckle.

Oh wait....

Current Rides
2017 BMW K1300R
2004 Yamaha WR 450F

Previous Rides
1982 Suzuki GSX 250S
1993 Suzuki DR350
2004 BMW 650GS Dakar
2005 BMW K1200R
2013 BMW K1300R