I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Getting up to speed

K1300s Supplementary Wire set - Hot Start issue

My 2010 K1300s is suffering from the hot start issue...

I will order the Supplementary Wire set (part number 12418532735) and hope to sort the problem once and for all (changed the start button already) How complicated is it to do this mod myself?
What is involved?

The dealership is quoting me £250 to do the mod or I can buy the supplementary cable for £80. I'm hoping to do this myself and save the money (very short right now)

Any pointers is very much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: K1300s Supplementary Wire set - Hot Start issue

I thought warranty covered this? Hmmm there's a write-up somewhere on here and IIRC its no great difficult task.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Getting up to speed

I've been told by the dealership that they stopped doing it on warranty in 2015.
Bought the bike used and not from them so I'm on my own.

I tried to look for the write up but came with nothing.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:03 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

I think it takes a bit of time because of the location of wire routes. Plastic, gas tank etc. have to come off. A good time to install fresh air filters or really clean the ones there. I heard the dealers resisted so much because BMW did not pay for all the hours it actually took to do the job, don't know for sure on that though. So, when the job is finished please come back to the post and let us know if it really helped any. I have the same problem, not enough to get me off my butt yet but it is getting my attention.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagabul
I've been told by the dealership that they stopped doing it on warranty in 2015.

They obviously subscribe to the theory that a problem ignored will go away by ignoring the improper design of the wiring.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:

And BMW kept selling K1300S and k1300R without any wiring harness upgrade after that, piss poor effort BMW Motorrad!. Pathetic.

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:42 AM
Getting up to speed

I have ordered a new start button as well. I am hoping to cover all my basis and change/upgrade all that is possible.
My battery is 3 years old (YTX14H-BS) and as far as I can tell still going strong with a 12.6v reading at rest, 10.8v when I start and 14 something while running.

I'll post pictures along the way but I will definitely need your help regarding the supplementary wire. Is it a question of following up the existing positive cable and doubling it up?
Old 02-15-2018, 07:46 AM
Getting up to speed

All right. The start button has been changed. Very easy procedure and only requires a T8 screwdriver.
Part number is 61318567704
Interesting to see the difference between the old button and the new one. For some reason the old one seems more reliable being covered in epoxy
They've added two pins on the plug as well but for no reason (at least on the K1300s) as only 1,4,5 & 7 are used on the plug bike side.

The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'zagabul' for this post:
Old 02-15-2018, 03:48 PM

"as far as I can tell still going strong with a 12.6v reading at rest, 10.8v when I start and 14 something while running."These numbers look good but three years old is suspicious.
And double check that T8 fastener, T9 is the figure for the 2mm screws I though. It's what I use.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:03 PM
Getting up to speed

You put doubt in my mind and I had to go back to check.

One of the screw wouldn't fit a T9 but the other would... weird.
So T8 or T9.

Checked on my old switchgear also and there again a mix of T8 and T9.

I've already removed the fairing and tank in preparation of receiving the supplementary wire.
More pictures to come when I receive it.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:20 PM

What a pain, mixed sizes. But one has to be very careful. The T9 in my bike is a very snug fit and you have to be straight on. A T8 will work. And T9 is not in the normal sets of small drivers, you need to buy one individually. I like to use mini screwdriver style on these small sizes so it is harder to do damage. If you strip one of these while in the switch housing, it would be difficult to deal with.
S1000R
Old 02-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I will do this job this spring too, because the sandpaper action last year did not helped much. The hot start issue is still there, so i ordered the supplementary wire set.
All included parts you can see at the picture.
When you are unmounting the gastank be very careful with the white plastik gasoline connection because mine broke very fast last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180215_210845test.jpg (264.8 KB, 40 views)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'icecube' for this post:
Old 02-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Twisted Wrister

A metal quick disconnect fuel fitting is available. I believe Beemer Boneyard has them, but others here will know for sure. This will be a good time to take care of this known weakness.

Unless I am missing something, I see nothing about that kit that you couldn't make yourself or have an automotive stereo shop make. You could make it a bit longer so you have a bit of flexibility on the installation.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 02-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Getting up to speed

The tank was easy to remove. Regarding the white plastic thing it's a quick disconnect. Just push on the metal thing and it pops out.

You are right regarding the kit itself. £80 for a bit of wire a relay and some cable ties is pushing it.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Getting up to speed

The things I'm unsure of are where to connect all these ends. The colors don't match the existing harness.

On the bike the starter has a Black and a Brown cable going to it. The Alternator has a Red cable. I haven't seen the relay so far (had no time to look carefully). I've read somewhere that the relay is below the airbox

If someone could let me know what end to this supplementary cable goes where that would be great.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:48 PM
Shooting the gap

so who is going to spec out the kit and start offering them for sale? Id have to buy a kit or take it off my bike if equipped. Buy some Chinese aluminum and lead wire and 1950s style LADA relays.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:02 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:

I will order the Supplementary Wire set (part number 12418532735) and hope to sort the problem once and for all (.

This wire set is USELESS! The problem is the battery that is having a problem trying to turn over the bike's 13:1 compression. It was especially a problem with the OEM Exide battery which gradually lost its ability to supply enough cranking current.

The wire gauge used for the supplementary wire set is too small to make any significant difference.

It is simple to prove this. Connect a voltmeter to the actual + and - battery terminals. An analog voltmeter is preferred because you can see voltage changes instantly when they occur.

With the voltmeter connected and the motor hot, press the start button. What you will likely see is the needle INSTANTLY dropping down to less than 10.5 volts when the motor just begins (or TRIES to begin) to start cranking. What is happening is the battery is incapable of supplying the needed cranking current and as a result, the battery's voltage drops excessively.

The point is that since it is the actual battery terminal voltage that is dropping excessively, this problem has nothing to do with the wiring!

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 02-16-2018, 03:55 AM
Getting up to speed

I didn't understand the concern about the fuel line QD at first. After digging a bit further I know see what you meant. I wasn't aware of that issue.
I have now ordered a metal QD.
Thank you for pointing that out!
Old 02-16-2018, 04:22 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
This wire set is USELESS! The problem is the battery that is having a problem trying to turn over the bike's 13:1 compression. It was especially a problem with the OEM Exide battery which gradually lost its ability to supply enough cranking current.

The wire gauge used for the supplementary wire set is too small to make any significant difference.

It is simple to prove this. Connect a voltmeter to the actual + and - battery terminals. An analog voltmeter is preferred because you can see voltage changes instantly when they occur.

With the voltmeter connected and the motor hot, press the start button. What you will likely see is the needle INSTANTLY dropping down to less than 10.5 volts when the motor just begins (or TRIES to begin) to start cranking. What is happening is the battery is incapable of supplying the needed cranking current and as a result, the battery's voltage drops excessively.

The point is that since it is the actual battery terminal voltage that is dropping excessively, this problem has nothing to do with the wiring!

A good quality Lithium Battery will fix those problems!

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
A good quality Lithium Battery will fix those problems!
Or just a Westco from Beemer Boneyard.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Getting up to speed

Supplementary Wire set arrived.

For those interested in making one instead of buying one the cable total length is 108cm. That's just the cable, you need to add the connectors to that.
The cable seems to be 6 gauge (at least at the flat connectors end)

Relay is pictured below.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:10 AM
Getting up to speed

Now the connections. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

A: Battery +
B: Alternator
C: Starter
D: Relay position 5
E: Relay position 3

What I can't figure out so far is how the existing harness goes into this relay.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Getting up to speed

OK I've just understood something now. Maybe it was clear for everyone else but it confused the hell out of me.
Instead of calling this part "Supplementary Wire" BMW should have called it "REPLACEMENT Wire"

I couldn't figure out how I would wire the Relay with the existing harness and the new cable... upon closer inspection, the new cable is of substantial heavier gauge than the one on the bike. So it is just question of removing the old one and putting this one instead. Simples!

Now that I know what to do it will be straight forward. Just needs a bit of time to unravel the old cable from the harness and putting the new one in place.

Will report back once done (possibly this WE) or if I screw something up along the way.

Old vs New Relay

Old wire vs New wire
Old 02-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Shooting the gap

It would be interesting to know if the relay internals are any different or if the new one is just to replace the original that may have been over taxed by a higher resistance cable.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM
Getting up to speed

They are exactly the same Tyco V23136-J6-X76
I guess it's good to change it for the reason you mentioned but the more I think about this supplementary wire set the more I feel being robbed of £80.

If I knew a week ago what I know now, I would have purchase £5 worth of wire and doubled up the existing harness for the exact same result.
This set is a neater solution but who's going to see wires underneath the fuel tank???
Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
They are exactly the same Tyco V23136-J6-X76
I guess it's good to change it for the reason you mentioned but the more I think about this supplementary wire set the more I feel being robbed of £80.

If I knew a week ago what I know now, I would have purchase £5 worth of wire and doubled up the existing harness for the exact same result.
This set is a neater solution but who's going to see wires underneath the fuel tank???

In fairness even doing a kit yourself would be pricy. Copper is through the roof and youd need to buy a spool probably. Ive never seen a place that sells by the foot.
Theres a different number on the relay an o2 instead of an 01.
I wonder if the guts are any different than the old heavy duty bosch relays that used to be everywhere. The green things don't lok like they are actually sealed so in making your own kit you could likely get a better automotive unit. Odd that modern cars have sealed units in a relatively protected area and kikes exposed to water are not. Oh well.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

The letters in your Photo seems to be right.
The old red cable stays at the alternator. The black one replaces the one for the starter.
The two ones from the relay must be pinned out and replaced.
You can see the Replacement manual on the Reprom DVD.
The search term is "zusatzkabelbaum".
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'icecube' for this post:
Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

I was listening, thanks Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
This wire set is USELESS! The problem is the battery that is having a problem trying to turn over the bike's 13:1 compression.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
I was listening, thanks Bob.
Alas dropping at the terminals whilst cranking indicates a problem with the load on the battery either its wiring or the startrer or the cumulative resistancec in connectors in the wirings circuit. does it not?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I had the hot start issue on my K13s, one dealer refused to do the job under warranty so I went to another that happily did it and have had my business for the last 5 years. After the fix I never had a problem again. Also had both switch gears replaced at the same time under the warranty the old ones were known to fail in the sun, the copper tracks you see on the old ones would crack thats why they are now encased in epoxy.

I did not have a problem with my switches but it was only a matter of time, worked out well as I had them retrofit ACS and quickshifter at the same time and the dealer put on the new switches under the warranty which was a $400 saving!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Andynj' for this post:
Old 02-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Getting up to speed

OK, the supplementary set is installed but I finished too late to put the bike back together.
It will hopefully be done tomorrow.

I have started writing all the steps I did and took pictures along the way. I will compile all of it in a document for those interested.

more to come...
Old 02-17-2018, 07:26 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Quote:

I will order the Supplementary Wire set (part number 12418532735) and hope to sort the problem once and for all (changed the start button already) How complicated is it to do this mod myself?
What is involved?

The dealership is quoting me £250 to do the mod or I can buy the supplementary cable for £80. I'm hoping to do this myself and save the money (very short right now)

Any pointers is very much appreciated.

The kit cost me around $175.00.

My dealer had just completed the install the same day I inquired about the replacement cable to another K1300S. They quoted a bit under $200.00 and was just a few hours labor. I decided to do it myself.

The short answer; the replacement cable is piggy-backed onto the main wiring harness. You will need new clamps in various sizes for the rubber hoses. If you use factory type clamps, crimping tools will need to be purchased. Some clamps they sold me were Phillips head screw type.

There are no instructions supplied with the kit.

I am going a bit further while I have the fuel tank and airbox removed, replacing the rubber hoses as the bike is now 9 years old.

An additional part I purchased was a new starter relay. With everything removed, you will be able to clean and lube all your connectors and inspect the starter and alternator components.

For the time required and questions which arise... let the dealer do it! It will save a huge amount of time and some tooling costs if that is all you want to have done.

I am confounding my decision to do it myself... easier and faster to have them do it, but it was interesting finding all the road junk that has made its way into the innards of the engine area.

It has been a cold Winter and have been seized with work and other worldly problems, so I have not completed the installation. I plan on diving back in tomorrow.

Will this be the fix? I have no idea. Is it worth the time and cost? Yes, especially if you want to know the condition of your ride. Good luck whichever way you decide.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 02-17-2018, 08:16 PM

Did you have to remove the air box to do this job? Could it be accomplished with just the gas tank.
Speaking of the gas tank, when the quick connect goes back into the gas tank hold the release snap until the O'ring of the male quick connect is past the metal release slide plate. It is easy to nick the O'ring if you just force it in or let go of the release device before the O'ring is past it.
I have those O'rings in Viton if someone needs one.
In the final form this would make a superior sticky in maintenance.
S1000R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 02-17-2018, 10:21 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Hi Beech,

I kind of jumped into the deep end of the pool without instructions or looking. The dealer's quote to do the job in just a few hours made me think there was a major shortcut they were using.

If you know what you are doing, such as yourself, I think it could be done without removal. Frankly I was unprepared by the debris collected and the need to do light corrosion treatment in the starter-alternator area. Prior to the hugger install, I think everything collected freely from rear tire action.

I removed everything with the idea of seeing what was down under. Access to connect the starter and alternator leads appeared much easier and the cable layout on the harness with the fuel tank and airbox removed advertised a secure install and a nice factory look. What that will be I won't know until I am done.

There are a lot of hoses and electrical connectors down there and I wanted to give it all a good look. The Mighty K1300S is an '09 with around 15,000 miles and I will probably let it go in a few years. I hope to be problem free until then.

My hope is to not be chasing gremlins upon completion. I forgot that "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" thing.

There is a lot of good info in this thread. I will get you a better answer after I am completed... probably in 2019.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:46 PM
Shooting the gap

I thought of doing this myself. But I put an EarthX LiPO4 battery in last summer. The hot start issues I had stopped. The bike never started so fast. Even so, I thought about doing the wire harness upgrade. But after seeing this, I wonít bother. Itís truly more work that itís worth. I spent $350 on the battery and it took 15 minutes to install because I had to make a wood block so the battery clamp would hold it in place.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:03 AM
Getting up to speed

I did not remove the airbox. You can feed the new wire just below it and fish it on the other side.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:17 AM
Getting up to speed

Here are my steps and pictures.

https://files.fm/u/73rvxw9t

If someone has a better idea to share the pdf please let me know.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Getting up to speed

Happy to report that it seems to be working so far. I tried to provoke the fault but the bike restarted without problem.

Hopefully it will continue working going forward
Old 02-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I did not remove the airbox. You can feed the new wire just below it and fish it on the other side.
Where did you feed the new wire to the battery? same way as the old wire, or under the airbox? It looks tight to me if you not remove the airbox.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOH
Where did you feed the new wire to the battery? same way as the old wire, or under the airbox? It looks tight to me if you not remove the airbox.
I followed the old wire. After removing the airbox bracket and detaching the two snorkels you can tilt the airbox back a bit to ease passage.
I fed it through from left to right. Hope this helps
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'zagabul' for this post:
Old 02-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Shooting the gap

How's this...

The following (6) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'GateKeeper' for this post:
Old 02-19-2018, 03:43 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I followed the old wire. After removing the airbox bracket and detaching the two snorkels you can tilt the airbox back a bit to ease passage.
I fed it through from left to right. Hope this helps

Thank you very much for the answer, I will do this before the first ride this spring.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:48 PM

I have not looked at the bike wiring but have a question about what triggers the green start relay. The photo with factory wiring shows terminals 5 & 3, a brown ground wire and a black with yellow strip. I figure these are the relay "trigger" wires getting a signal from the bike computer / handle bar button.
If you use D & E from the new harness there how is the relay triggered?
S1000R
Old 02-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
I have not looked at the bike wiring but have a question about what triggers the green start relay. The photo with factory wiring shows terminals 5 & 3, a brown ground wire and a black with yellow strip. I figure these are the relay "trigger" wires getting a signal from the bike computer / handle bar button.
If you use D & E from the new harness there how is the relay triggered?

From the relay holder you remove the original red and black wires but you leave the two thins ones (brown and yellow/black)
You replace the original black and red with D & E from the supplementary harness. Your "trigger" wires don't change.
For good measure you then replace the green relay with the new one in case something fried in the original one. But new and old are the same relay.

Let me know if unclear
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'zagabul' for this post:
WPV
Old 02-19-2018, 02:05 PM

Thanks, really helps.
S1000R
Old 02-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Twisted Wrister

GREAT info.

As an aside, Son had this problem and changing to an Anti-Gravity battery solved it. Tons more battery oomph. I had the wiring change done before changing batteries so my case does not count.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Today I finished the installation of the supplementary wire set.
For the interested people i made a photo with removed airbox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kabelbaum.jpg (373.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-28-2018, 07:28 PM

I must have been off my feed but I had a devil of a time getting the wires to release from the relay base. I see the process but no matter what I used to push in there to move the wings over to release the wire clip, no bueno. So, I released the whole relay guts from its outer shell. Then I had easy access to what I needed to do from the bottom using a couple of O-ring picks. I know there is a trick to it but I could not do it through the normal release holes. And there are two easy paths for the wire up to the positive terminal that do not require pulling the air box. Either all the way around to the right or between intakes 3 & 4 on the left and up the left side of the wire way in front of the air box. Plenty of cable for either way. Will button up tomorrow. Had to quit after the relay fiasco for a safety meeting with the guys. I can see how this will help. Wires twice the gauge of stock and combined with a quality battery, should be a new life. My hot start failures were becoming more frequent and I did not like the fact of all that current flowing with the starter not turning.
S1000R
Old 03-01-2018, 01:23 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafkaKaffe
It would be interesting to know if the relay internals are any different or if the new one is just to replace the original that may have been over taxed by a higher resistance cable.

Overtaxed by high resistance????

You need to learn a few basics about how electricity works!

Old 03-01-2018, 01:34 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafkaKaffe
Alas dropping at the terminals whilst cranking indicates a problem with the load on the battery either its wiring or the startrer or the cumulative resistancec in connectors in the wirings circuit. does it not?

It certainly does not!

An excessive voltage drop measured right at the battery terminals means that the internal resistance of the battery itself is too high, thus the battery cannot supply the high cranking current without its terminal voltage dropping excessively.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 03-17-2018, 02:29 AM

So, big discussion as to merit. I installed the OEM wire kit last month. I have since put 700+ miles on the bike with numerous hot engine starts. I still have the original battery in the bike from the last two years. I have had no failure to turn over starts as I had before the new wire harness. I almost always happened at gas stations. I will continue with the same battery and get back to you later this summer. But for now the bike starts like a champ, turns over quickly and seems to be in good spirits. I did cheat and routed the wire to the battery under the left side of the air box between intakes 3 & 4 (cable tied it up so it would not touch the throttle linkage) and then up and over to the positive battery side. But next winter with more energy I'll pull the battery box and do a careful route. I was just sick of pulling that air box as I have had it off three times this winter doing fuel injectors. Pinched fuel injector O-rings suck.
S1000R
Old 05-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Twisted Wrister

My bike had hot start issues, so the dealer installed the extra wiring. I also replaced the battery for a Yuasa.
Troublefree for three years but recently the problem reappeared. I began to wonder: "Perhaps Bob RFW is right. Perhaps the batteries that fit in the compartment of the S just aren't strong enough.' (Sorry Bob I doubted you )
So out of curiosity I bought a lithium ion battery. What pursuaded me is the price of these things going down rapidly. Actually lower than a new Yuasa YTX14H-BS. It is a JMT battery with built in charge indicator.
I also bought a new charger because the Optimate 4 charger I have can ruin a Li-Ion battery. Although is it sold as "ready to go" it has to be charged before installing it for the first time.

To be honest I did not had high expectations. This thing weighs 2 pounds and takes half the space of a lead-acid battery. Feels like an outer casing without anything in it. How could this crank a 175 hp engine with a 1:13 compression ratio?
However, the bike has never started so easily!
Only when ambient temperature is below 55 degree F. the battery needs some help waking up by switching on the headlight for 10 seconds before starting the engine.

I have this battery in use for a couple of months now without any problems.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:41 AM
Shooting the gap

My EarthX battery has no issues with temps way below 55F. I started my bike up when it was below freezing and the bike lives outside in a CycleShell so it was ambient all the way through. I turned the key on and hit the starter button and it cranked and fired immediately, no waiting. Plus with a built in BMS you can use a dumb charger.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:48 AM

I am the first one to say batteries and battery health have a whole lot to do with BMW electrics. It is my go to point when someone says they are having weird problems that seem to be electrical. But, I installed this past winter the BMW OEM supplemental harness, and continued with the original AGM Yuasa battery. Bike runs great and no hot start problem, zero. In the past it manifested itself just about every gas stop and then re-start, now, not once in 4000 miles.
That harness is not the easiest install either. Seriously heavy duty. I do change my battery out every 2 or maybe 3 years with no symptoms of issues. Just PM for me.
S1000R
Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
I am the first one to say batteries and battery health have a whole lot to do with BMW electrics. It is my go to point when someone says they are having weird problems that seem to be electrical. But, I installed this past winter the BMW OEM supplemental harness, and continued with the original AGM Yuasa battery. Bike runs great and no hot start problem, zero. In the past it manifested itself just about every gas stop and then re-start, now, not once in 4000 miles.
That harness is not the easiest install either. Seriously heavy duty. I do change my battery out every 2 or maybe 3 years with no symptoms of issues. Just PM for me.
I dont think I have had this issue. But then I either restart quickly after a refill of gas or a half hour or more after parking. I assume ambient temps and heatsoak come into play as well. Hopefully it will happen to me soon so I can order the kit.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:56 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750
My EarthX battery has no issues with temps way below 55F. I started my bike up when it was below freezing and the bike lives outside in a CycleShell so it was ambient all the way through. I turned the key on and hit the starter button and it cranked and fired immediately, no waiting. Plus with a built in BMS you can use a dumb charger.

I had to buy a dumb charger so I decided to buy the JMT charger. The Optimate 4 charger is "too smar" for the Li-Ion batteries because it has a recovery mode for lead acid batteries that can damage a Li-Ion battery.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Shooting the gap

I just looked up the JMT lithium battery and itís a lithium ion battery. Thatís why it has the charge indicator and needs time to warm up below 55F. I specifically went with a Lithium Iron Phosphate type because it is a more robust and stable chemistry. Some poor guy had his brand new Ducati, the one with the V4, Burn to the ground because the factory lithium ion battery went into thermal runaway and started burning. He was riding around in city traffic bike had less than 200 miles on it. Anyway, something to think about when buying lithium type batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaG1vzvfV5Y
Old 05-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Shooting the gap

Why the desire to use such a volatile battery. It would be a hell of a time in traffic if that big block in front of the gas tank lit off.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Shooting the gap

Weight.

Lithium ion has higher energy density than Lithium Iron Phosphate. But at the cost of volatility. Tesla, due to their use of Lithium Ion batteries, has contributed to their perceived safety. But Tesla puts them in an armored, partitioned case with a complex liquid cooling system. The current lithium ion batteries being used for starter batteries have none of that. Just a plastic enclosure. So if it goes into thermal runaway there is nothing to contain the resulting fire and explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithiu...sphate_battery
Old 05-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750
Weight.

Lithium ion has higher energy density than Lithium Iron Phosphate. But at the cost of volatility. Tesla, due to their use of Lithium Ion batteries, has contributed to their perceived safety. But Tesla puts them in an armored, partitioned case with a complex liquid cooling system. The current lithium ion batteries being used for starter batteries have none of that. Just a plastic enclosure. So if it goes into thermal runaway there is nothing to contain the resulting fire and explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithiu...sphate_battery
Yeah my friend has em for RC model planes. Keeps the batteries in an old shed in an earthenware jar.