I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-24-2018, 08:38 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,835 Times in 2,821 Posts

Changing plugs and wires,

I've noticed that the old '02 RS has become a bit cold blooded, and a has developed a bit of surging at low RPM in first gear. So after 15+ years and 45,000 miles (I don't get to ride nearly as much as I'd like to) I changed out the spark plugs and wires. I sourced both for just over $100.00 from www.euromotoelectrics.com. I ordered the parts on Thursday and they arrived on Saturday, nice service.

Aside from having to remove the Tupperware its pretty straight forward and the recommendation from the Euro Motoelectrics with regard to changing one wire at a time was useful. The stock wires on plugs 1 & 4 are doubled back on themselves to fit. With the replacement wires only the wire on plug 4 is double backed to fit. Some photos,

and the old plugs, looking quite nice, these are the Bosch "Brazil" "Super" plugs

and the new "India" Bosch plugs, not labeled "Super" although the heat range is supposedly the same,

The connector from the wire to the spark plug on new wires from "NGK" are plastic, where the stock wires had metal caps that affixed to the plugs, and the metal caps had a small tab that you could grab with a pliers to remove the wire from the plug. The new plastic caps lack this, which has me thinking that removing the plastic caps from the plugs in the future may be be a challenge as it took a mighty tug to get the stock caps to release the wire from the plugs. An illustration of the stock style wires,

The torque specs for the plugs was listed as 29.5 lbs. ft, which felt really snug to me, but its what I used. I started the bike after completing the work and it started right up and idled smoothly, but I didn't have time to put the plastic back on and take the bike for a ride to see if the cold blooded nature and surging has been eliminated. I'll report back once I've put a few miles on.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 06-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,153 Posts

Re: Changing plugs and wires,

Craig:

I think the torque is more like 20Nm which is just under 15 ft-lb.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: Changing plugs and wires,

+1 on Euro MotoElectrics. Lori there is really good, very helpful to me when changing out my voltage regulator for an updated AGM battery type regulator. Fast and very reasonable.