I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-31-2018, 01:50 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Key Code location

A family member lost the only key to my bike so I need to have another cut. For a 2001 K1200RS, does anyone know where to look on the bike to find the key code to have a replacement key cut? Thx
Old 07-31-2018, 10:07 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: Key Code location

I believe you just need to bring the Vin# to a BMW dealer with proof of ownership and they will order you a new key.
Lee
Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 AM
Entering the on-ramp

That's definitely NOT response that I got from BMW-SF. After speaking with BMW of San Francisco, they can't [or won't] order a key by VIN# even with the bike title in hand. There is no transponder chip, so it should be fairly straightforward.

Has anyone else with a bike 10 years or older had any luck getting a key ordered through a dealership by providing the VIN# and proof of ownership?

If I could find the key code somewhere on the bike, then I could have it cut by a locksmith.

Come on guys help me out, please.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:30 AM
Entering the on-ramp

When I had my 2004 K1200RS, I had only one key, I wanted a spare, my dealer just wanted the vin#, thats all I did, sorry if that dont help. Maybe ask another dealer for some advice! Maybe the 2001 is different
Old 08-02-2018, 07:59 AM
ZNAM
Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,474 Posts

Contact BMW Motorrad NA Customer Service and explain your problem.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/info/contact.html
Old 08-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Hunternsf,

You could pull a lock cylinder from a side case (if they came with the bike, same key) or from the seat lock. There are several youtube vids on how to do this. I did it today on a side case lock with a gem clip. With the cylinder out you can read the code directly or a locksmith could make a key for you from the cyl. BE VERY CAREFUL when pulling the cyl and handling it. The sliders and TINY springs easily fall out. AMHIK.

Here is a vid to get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TEw...ature=youtu.be

Here is the link to pics of my lock cyl from my 2000 K1200RS: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PSUHsL4fL6KfAvgx5

You can read the numbers directly from the sliders by the notches on the sliders. It's either a 1, 2, or a 3. (My key code is 221122. See if you can read mine.) There are 8 slots in the cyl (or A thru H in the pic). Counting from the key end and alternating sides, 1-6 are the key #'s, #7 is empty, #8 is the "retainer" slider that keeps the cyl in the lock. Push it to the side with the gem clip and lift the cyl out. Kinda fiddly until you get the hang of it. Once you get it apart and see what's going on, it's simple. Kinda scary knowing someone could unlock, and/or start your bike with a gem clip.

Some of the sliders are also marked with numerals or dots (1, 2, or 3 tiny dimples) on one face.

Hope this helps you.

This is what I call a "Slider" (can't see it well but this is a #2; what looks like a "1" is actually dirty grease):
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lowndes' for this post:
Old 08-02-2018, 05:04 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,094 Times in 2,905 Posts

Not sure if this will help or annoy you, but when I acquired my bike the keys included a small tag with the Key # on it. Maybe the one for your bike is somewhere you might be able to put your finger on. I've kept it taped within the file I keep on the bike, it looks like this,

Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

As far as I know the "code" for the bags/seat latch etc..won't work for the ignition.

There are more tumblers on the ignition so what works for the bags etc...won't turn it.

And you need a key in a tumbler before pushing on the release tab.Key holds the tabs in place.

I don't know if any blank key would work in the ignition if just to pull the barrel out.In any case one has to find the hole there to insert the pin.I know now where it is,ignition seized up on me last year in the shop.Had to cut a slot in the lower plastic cover to insert that pin.

If the steering isn't locked one can remove the lower electrical component from the mechanical component.Then start bike by turning the "electrical component" with a screwdriver.....ride to a locksmith?

Other than that there are a number of "switches/locks/keys" for the K1200 on ebay.Ignition switch with the top plate,that's the easiest way to deal with them switches.....pull the top plate/switch out as one unit.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post: