I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Accessories
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Accessories Chit-chat of 'must have' items and 'add-on's'. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: Leathers?
Leather one piece 19 4.40%
Leather two piece 171 39.58%
Textile one piece 20 4.63%
Textile two piece 150 34.72%
Leather or textile jacket, jeans, boots, gloves 82 18.98%
Leather Jacket and Textile Pants 37 8.56%
Textile Jacket and Leather Pants 38 8.80%
Shorts & flops. Obamacare will fix me for free. 4 0.93%
It's Dubya's fault. 6 1.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 432. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 03-28-2016, 05:42 PM
The Dude abides.

Send a message via Skype™ to FLHRSI
Re: Leathers?

I used to think leather was the only way to go, then I found Klim and realized just how far technology has advanced. Sure, if I was at the race track, I would want a once piece leather suit (god help anyone forced to see me in it though). But for all my street riding, on both the BMW and the Harley, I love my Klim Apex Jacket and Torrent overpant. They have a full compliment of body armor and are very comfortable. Lots of pockets and vents for hot weather. In cold weather, I use the gerbing heated liner under the jacket. Best part is not having to stop when it rains and put on the rain gear, then stop again to take it off.
At some point I would also like to pick up the one-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter, but I am not in a hurry.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Twisted Wrister

I would like to have some advice on gloves. I have been riding with Alpinestars GP Pros which are excellent cuffed gloves. I am looking for your experiences with short gloves without cuffs that provide similar hand protection. Any quality brand is okay. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:43 AM
Getting up to speed

You might take a look at the Dainese line. I think the Druid was previously available with a short cuff which has now been replaced by the Guanto 4 Stroke which appears to have the same or very similar configuration. They're light weight, with good protection and reinforcement where needed. My only complaint has been that the RH thumb tends to wear from pressure on the throttle grip, but so does my RH grip, so I've added grip puppies and a cramp buster to distribute the contact area.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Jeano' for this post:
WPV
Old 06-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Scorpion makes some great short cuff gloves. They fit well for guys with big hands. Plus they have palm sliders.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'davyjones' for this post:
WPV
Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Site Contributor

Summer glove- Aerostitch deerskin Ropers. Same pair for 10 yrs
2005 Ducati 999-The I-talian Mistress-sold but missed
2004 KGT, Gen 1, Orient Blue
Old 08-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Head Up Knee down

I own these, my wife and my father-in-law. LOVE this gear!!!! only gets more comfortable over time as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsisco lopez
As my research continues, I'm now leaning towards the Rev'it Ignition 2 jacket and Gear 2 pants...

I just need to get back down to Erico Motorsports (the local Rev'it dealer) and try the pants back on... this time with my Sidi Discovery boots to make sure there's no issue at the cuff. Erico will match Revzilla's price out the door, so I'm sorely tempted. I like the fit and features of the Ignition 2/Gear 2 combo (not to mention price compared with the Aerostich Transit stuff). I just wish the pants/cuff zipper was as long as the Transit's pants/cuff zipper... that's a very cool feature; makes for easy on/off with my big boots.
2002 Silver K1200RS M-sport Roundel (sold)
2005 GSX-R 600 *sold to buy the k12s

Web Designer / Internet Marketing / network marketing
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jasonb4' for this post:
Old 08-10-2016, 12:03 AM
Site Contributor

They started making leathers here in 1947,and they have a cool label.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jb63' for this post:
Old 09-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Getting up to speed

Here in Eastern Washington State, I ride year round unless there is snow or ice on the road, or high wind gusts. So, I wear a 1.6 mm thick leather jacket made by Fox Creek Leather and some very nice 4 season textile pants made by Rev'It, their Neptune GTX line. I also wear a two piece summer mesh jacket and pants combo made by Rev'It, the Airwave model. Works for me.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Casey' for this post:
Old 12-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Twisted Wrister

mostly textile for me

Having started my riding career in 1970 (Honda CB350 when I was 17), I've lusted after and owned a lot of different riding gear. It's all a compromise.

Had textiles and leathers (4 sets).

Ideally I'd have good-fitting leathers on as they cut the wind the best. However, they only work for me when the weather is nearly perfect. Not too hot (and around Phoenix too hot is much of the year for leathers). Not too cold (good fit means tight, so no room to put sweaters and stuff underneath. Mostly just silk long johns.) No rain (of course).

I tried an Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece that zips together. Very handy in a number of ways. Throw it on over clothes, never have to worry about stopping to put on rain gear, pretty good for cooler and cold weather. Too hot over 90F though, and in Phoenix that's often. A real killer though it how bulky it is. Take it off on a trip and where do you put it (on the bike)? It fills an entire BMW large softbag. And it's heavy.

I now mostly ride in BMW gear. In hot weather, jeans and a BMW Airflow, with BMW warm weather boots. In under 80 degree weather, I ride in a BMW touring jacket, sometimes with matching pants, often with jeans. And some cold weather BMW boots.

None of this is ideal for me, due to the desert heat and/or rain. Textiles are the most flexible for temperature control, but other than the Aerostich have flaws in the rain.

Let me describe what I'm faced with, which much of the country would not be except when touring in the summer probably. MY favorite vacation ride is to take the bike from Phoenix in the summer (110F+ often) to the mountains of Colorado, for a week or more. I have to start out with potentially very hot day, and after June, potentially some rain as well in Arizona. (Always have to plan for rain in Colorado, but temps are lower there).

So I need to start out with hot weather riding gear AND be ready for thundershowers in the desert on the first and last days. That means Airflow/jeans, plus a cool vest, plus some sort of rain gear. My only rain gear for now is the extremely bulky Aerostich (too hot to ride over 90F), or the liners in the BMW touring suit (all sorts of problems there, but mostly too hot). So I carry a complete set of riding gear for moderate temps plus wear the hot weather gear. That means a second pair of boots, gloves, pants and jacket, all of which are bulky.

Second day, usually from Cortez, I put away the hot gear and put on the BMW touring gear, top and bottom. If it doesn't look like rain, I leave the liners out. If it is cold and/or rainy, I put the liners in. Pack up the hot weather gear for the rest of the week.

If I hit rain, I expose the big weakness of the BMW touring suit. It's not waterproof without the liners. However, the liners don't breathe at all, and are very warm, so you really don't want to have them in if the weather is over 70F.

Now, you think it's a pain to stop on the side of the road and throw raingear over the top of whatever you are wearing? Imagine having to stop and take off all your riding gear to put liners INSIDE the gear, which is otherwise not waterproof at all. Bad enough having to do that under the threat of rain, or in the rain, but worst to have to do it in your underwear. This system probably works well in Germany where a rainy day is necessarily a cold one as well, but it sucks in the western US.

If the Aerostich weren't so hot to ride in when temps are over 90F, it would be near perfect for touring. Leathers are too hot, or too cold, or can't handle rain, so are just too specialized.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Re: mostly textile for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxazcraig
... Let me describe what I'm faced with... I need to start out with hot weather riding gear AND be ready for thundershowers in the desert on the first and last days. ....
This works, and it took us years to figure it out. (Susan came up with the idea. ) Wear a vented jacket with waterproof textile pants. If it rains add a rain jacket OVER the vented. (Throw away the liner that came with it.) If it's cold, wear a gerbing, then the vented jacket, then the rain jacket. It is as warm as a 3 season jacket!! We've worn this comfortably heading from NC in the snow (through Deal's Gap but that's another story) and in Big Bend at over 100 F.

Big Bend with Razel being all cool and stuff.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Site Contributor

Seems like a hundred years ago, but was presented with a Malcolm Smith Jacket for not killing spectators, or something. Wore that thing to bed!!! (it was a good look for me then) Right now I'm wearing Joe Rocket fabric top and bottom, armored, and with a liner. I like the versatility of fabric for the street (especially venting), and the relatively low struggle with pads and armor over leather. My current lid is a AGV K5 helmet, and some custom kangaroo gloves gifted by a relative in OZ, my riding boots are good old fashion Corcoran (sp?) US combat boots that a local cobbler attached a shift lever pad to and switched to a much smoother sole, but are ready for replacement now and might consider purpose built boots. So just like Johny Cash, I'm a man in black... well maybe not JUST like...
I outgrew my leathers, which were onesies, a lonnnng time ago. (if I got a new set in silver, I might be mistaken for a giant baked potato...)
I had a rep as a tester of leathers and helmets, but have lowered my pain threshold, and opened the restriction valve off the ol' brain case since then.
Bottom line, dress for a crash, find what fits, and what lets you reach the bars and pegs in comfort, and to move around.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Twisted Wrister

I reckon my Lewis Leathers Roadmaster is the best leather jacket out there - equally at home on the 'sickle, the Ace Cafe, or hanging on the door knob of a lady's boudoir

http://www.lewisleathers.com/89
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 01-27-2017, 03:42 PM
Site Contributor

hmmmm. That's how I got caught, too.Oh! Inside! Inside!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Shooting the gap

In south Texas leather....not a chance. That's why there is knitted cordura ATF. Rukka or Klim for a jacket and pants. If more sporty then ineould wear a learher jacket and the same air flow type pants. I want a Vanson Challenger, which i think is ideal for South Texas and year round riding. It has huse ventillation on the chest that can be zipped down or closed depending on preference.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by puptent
my riding boots are good old fashion Corcoran (sp?) US combat boots
Age check: Cap toes? Leather or cloth laces?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 03-14-2017, 09:27 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

2 pc leather
Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Skype™ to GrenK1300s

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr
2 pc leather
Two piece Alpine Stars GP Pro gear (blue/white and black) - see my avatar; separate Alpine Stars flow through jacket (black), courtesy of my lady thinking about how hot I get in Queensland summers! Recently replaced my AS Gore Tex boots with the newer SMX Plus Gore Tex units, catastrophic failure of the top toe section of one boot. Bought new AS GP Pro Two gloves as my old GP Pro's had lost the kangaroo leather palms and I've just retired my Arai Corsair V Crutchlow replica in favour of the 2017 IOMTT limited edition Arai RX-7V. The former had suffered some organ failures but currently undergoing transplants to keep as a secondary lid, if needed. Love Alpine Stars gear as it fits me very well
Old 06-06-2018, 04:51 PM
Getting up to speed

It would appear that my gear has shrunk over time, due to lack of use.

My now eleven year old daughter teased me as I tried on all my gear, she has never seen me on a bike, they were all sold to buy the house she has lived all her life in.

Im not sure how a composite leather jacket shrinks, I can barely get into the thing let alone zip it up, my Dririder Summit jacket is a firmer fit now, I can only wear a thin jumper under it now, I used to have all the tabs adjusted as short as possible, not the things are at their maximum, my Dririder Summit Pro pants are a comfortable jean like fit, I previously used a pair of braces to hold them up.
Strangely my helmet, boots and gloves all fit perfectly. 😎

Time for some new gear, I pick up my 2015 K1300R with only 7800km tomorrow!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Nukat' for this post:
Old 06-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Twisted Wrister

I recently did a test flight of my normal gear with a low speed (estimated 20 MPH) slide on an asphalt road.

My BMW High-Viz Airshell textile jacket left high viz fuzz balls along my track. Textile jackets are a one-time use item, and scuffing does not add character to the appearance. All-in-all, I would classify it as a success story because I have no bruises and only a minor scrape on my shoulder from the garment shifting on my skin.

My boot had a deep scuff on the toe where it would seem that my toe came in contact with the pavement while still on the foot peg. While my boot is still perfectly usable, I have a severely sprained ankle from what is probably hyper-extension and a non displaced oblique (green stick) fracture of my fibula at my ankle either from hyper-extension or the cycle being on my leg just above the ankle. The boot worked as designed, but I recommend that one uses a boot with ankle bracing.

My helmet had only minor scratches on the left side of the visor where it connects to the helmet which saved my left ear and scalp.

Textile is one-time use. Get a boot with ankle protection. Wear a helmet.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post: