I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Tipover damage questions

I looked at an RS today and passed on it because it had apparently been lightly tipped over on both sides. The fairing scratches were amazingly minor, for me they were "acceptable". But both mirror housings were loose, one bar mounted mirror was loose, the plastic above the speedo didn't fit snug and the left and right fairing panels did not fit the same, not sure which one was out of alignment or if both were out of wack. One heated grip had a tipover tear at the end. No one issue seemed like a big deal by itself.

Is there much chance that bike is worth another look? Or is the tipover damage a dealbreaker? I'm thinking the damage under the plastic is probably a fairly serious repair.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,517 Times in 3,201 Posts

Re: Tipover damage questions

Cory:

Really hard to say - depends on how much you are paying for it - what's it going to cost to repair.

These bike have come way way down in value - unless you know for sure what you are getting into maybe look for another RS.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:54 PM
Site Contributor

Make a list of everything you'll have to fix (even if you don't ) and use it to nogotiate a lower price.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 10-03-2018, 10:57 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,047 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
Make a list of everything you'll have to fix (even if you don't ) and use it to nogotiate a lower price.

You cannot see all damage from the outside - some "possible" damage is hidden under fairings. Unless you are very familiar with the K1200RS AND ALSO assuming the owner will let you remove front and side fairings, you may have some surprises.

In my experience, the most common `hidden" damages / repair are:
1) Right radiator sligthly bent on outer edge middle section - in some case this creates hairline cracks (because of a pin to hold the large air intake snorkel, this side is more expose to damage compare to left side)

2) bent font fairing sub-frame (black metal tubes). Fairing / windshield a bit out of alignment might be visible from outside. This is more common to 2nd generation having the larger nose fairing that will touch the ground first on impact.

3) Potential hairline cracks to footrest holders (part between foot-pegs and frame)

In addition to above, but visible IF YOU PAY ATTENTION:

4) Shifter bent - mainly the middle black section: this CANNOT be bent back easily as it is a cheap metal casting that will break.

5) Brake Pedal bent: this is fairly easy to fix but will create cracks in gray alu color paint

6) ball end of Brake and Clutch lever bent or just scratched

7) on 1st gen K1200RS, the side mount / pods of flashers could have the internal pins / spring damaged.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++