I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,432 Times in 3,152 Posts

Finally Moving

For the past few years Karen and I have been on and off about moving. Looked at so many houses - building lots - heck we should have become real estate brokers.

Well we finally pulled the trigger found what we have been looking for.

At almost 61 you would think down sizing and maybe spending a little less money would be the smart play.

Well never been real smart so neither of those happened.

What had become the real challenge - getting our house in shape to sell.

29 years in the current house - we found out just how much stuff we had accumulated.

It took weeks of non stop work just to clean it out enough so that it would look presentable for sale.

The good news we took an over priced offer after the second day on the market.

Then all the inspections - just got through those - still waiting on the buyers bank to do an appraisal - hoping that goes without a hitch.

Now we have two months - we can't close on the new house any sooner - to thin out all the stuff we are not bringing to the new house.

We just made a promise to each other we are never going to collect and save everything we ever buy going forward.

Any of you moved recently and ran into this problem or is it just us?

Sometimes I just want to hire someone to come in and clean out the house and we will just start completely new.

So the moral of the story - Karen has been wanting this new house for awhile - now this should keep her busy for sometime and I figure this buys me at least another 2-3 years of serious track time - it came at a price but for me it is worth it.

Also thinking I'm going to sneak in a new street bike right after the move - she will be way too busy to notice or care.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,378 Times in 858 Posts

Re: Finally Moving

We're attempting a similar move but @ 10 years older.

We have boxes sitting all over the house to throw things into as we come across stuff we're not using.

Once you reach a certain age, a move gets more and more difficult.

One way to downsize, at least the living area, is to get a home just large enough for daily living and also have a pole barn/separate building for a garage, work shop, and the wife's studio.

This way the clutter stays out of the house and the living space is easier to maintain and keep clean.

Also, a small or absent lawn can be a big help for getting to the track.

An expensive home can make you house poor ($) while a large home can make you time poor.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,279 Times in 2,159 Posts

In the early 2000's, when tech was booming, we moved 3 times in 4 years. It was during this time that my wife and I decided that if it doesn't fit in a 10x10x30 foot space, we weren't taking it. This was a great decision!

This past year when we moved from Florida to TN, we donated/sold most of our furniture, clothes, things, and mostly junk. Bought new furniture to fit the new house. It all worked out well!

But, my next move will definitely be a downsize. Which means throwing out the stuff we just bought. But that is the way it works best for us!

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,575 Times in 807 Posts

I agree with you Lar, smaller house, bigger garage - outbuilding. Congrats on the move Bruce. Staying in the same area?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capnrip' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,550 Times in 837 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

A couple of moves ago and after residing there for 14 years, I ordered a large dumpster dropped off and filled it up with crap I thought I needed. Never missed it

"less is more' Bruce, keep it going...
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'vics' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 11:59 AM
ŘZNAM
Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,430 Posts

Congrats Bruce... I think.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rick' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Site Contributor

We had new carpet installed throughout the house about 6 weeks ago. As for packing up crap I mean stuff, that was done over a space of 4 weeks. Just like moving, everything had to be packed up. The only things not packed up were the large items of furniture. Ya gotta have everything packed up to minimize the work for the installers. Fun times they were! Then unpacking!

Jim
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jpel' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Site Contributor

Congrats Bruce ! Hope it's the house you showed me a couple of weeks ago. Very nice , plus room for a couple of bikes.

" The real motorcycle you are working on is yourself " robert pirsig
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'falconcan' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 12:56 PM
ŘZNAM
Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,430 Posts

So, Bruce... when is the house warming party?
Old 07-06-2018, 01:11 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,827 Times in 2,818 Posts

Congrats Bruce, hope it works out as you hope!

Our last move was 11 years ago, and it was exhausting, I hope never to have to do it again. I may rent or buy a small offsite garage - shop one day and turn it into my man cave, the thought of dealing with all of our "stuff" is overwhelming!

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Administrator

The house is bigger but configured much better. Going from 2 floors to 1 floor sort of.

I have wanted either a separate garage for my stuff (bikes and cars) or a house with a really big walkout basement that I could drive everything inside. Also wanted cellar walls to be at least 9 feet well the new house has 10 foot cellar walls so this is going to work perfectly.

Also has a 3 car garage and a separate shed that has a full size garage door and this so called shed has electricity.

The rest of the house is all Karen's.

Like Joe we are mostly buying all new stuff. But we still have to get rid of a life time of stuff.

Chris yes it is the house I showed you up in Calabogie.
And for sure I can put a "few" bikes inside.

Now all I need to do is convince Karen to take off during the winter. And I most certainly have a few locations for that someplace close to a track.

If I have to endure the winter it should be in a location that will afford me some sort of physical activity.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnrip
I agree with you Lar, smaller house, bigger garage - outbuilding. Congrats on the move Bruce. Staying in the same area?
Wes:
Basically same area 30 minutes closer to Boston. Stevie lives in Boston and we go frequently so it is another plus.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Congratulations on your move Bruce. My wife and I sold our home in Barrington in July 2 years ago. The sale was contingent on the buyers selling their home. Their home sold first week it was on the market, but the sale fell through. Another month went by and their home sold again, this time it actually occurred. Meanwhile, I was building a 2500 square-foot garage/shop getting ready for our move to the home I built and I’ve been working on for nearly 18 years.

It took another 5 to 6 weeks for home inspections, bank approvals etc. etc. to finally close on our deal. It was October 20th by the time we had the check in hand. Fortunate for us, the large garage made the move much easier than it could’ve been. We had lived in our home in Barrington 33 years accumulating a ridiculous amount of stuff including my full wood shop and equipment, mechanics tools, and all of the other shit that a guy who has everything possesses.

There are so many people involved in a closing trying to reach into your pocket, this has a tendency to drag out the whole process. But in the end, it is more than worth it. Change is good and if you’re lucky: fun!

Good luck bro, I hope I see you sometime this summer.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'tward' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Bruce,

Happy to hear that you got an overprice offer on day two. Apparently someone besides you was having a look at the listing.

As relates to the move, yes, moving sucks. I only moved 13 years of stuff and it felt like a herculean effort, but a Terry said, change can be good.

Good luck and enjoy!
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
So, Bruce... when is the house warming party?
Rick:

I will have a house warming party - all I ask is everyone bring me slicks!!!!

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics
A couple of moves ago and after residing there for 14 years, I ordered a large dumpster dropped off and filled it up with crap I thought I needed. Never missed it

"less is more' Bruce, keep it going...

I've done this... And not even for a move.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:46 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

We just moved after 25 yrs. in the same house....Holy Shit, how can two people accumulate that much stuff?? On top of that, we had to clean out my wife's moms house as well. She had lived there for 50yrs., and saved everything! I AM OVER IT!!!!
Old 07-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip.leo
We just moved after 25 yrs. in the same house....Holy Shit, how can two people accumulate that much stuff?? On top of that, we had to clean out my wife's moms house as well. She had lived there for 50yrs., and saved everything! I AM OVER IT!!!!
That is what we have been saying for the past month. Never doing it again. Getting rid of 3/4 of all the stuff.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to Rip Send a message via MSN to Rip Send a message via Yahoo to Rip

Congratulations Bruce, I hope everything works out well for your next adventure. You didnt say where you are headed. If you are still working I would think you are staying in the neighborhood.
We moved from CT. to NC. 3 years ago and never looked back. 25 years in one house aquires alot of cleaning and throwing things away and maybe one huge garage sale.
I wish you the best on your next home. Life changes are cool.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rip' for this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
Congratulations Bruce, I hope everything works out well for your next adventure. You didnt say where you are headed. If you are still working I would think you are staying in the neighborhood.
We moved from CT. to NC. 3 years ago and never looked back. 25 years in one house aquires alot of cleaning and throwing things away and maybe one huge garage sale.
I wish you the best on your next home. Life changes are cool.
Paul:

I wanted to move south but Karen wanted to stay up here in MA while our daughter is living in Boston.

So we moved 30 minutes closer to Boston but still in Western MA.

My plan is to stay in this new house for 5 years and then make a decision in regard to going someplace warmer permanently or at least leaving for the winter.

I am still working and since we are staying local I have no plans on retiring - if we had gone south most likely we would have both retired. I thought that was going to push Karen towards making the southern move - it didn't so I'm getting over it.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:23 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,158 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Now that you are getting rid of stuff, I'll give you some help.

I'll be coming over to take them bikes off of your hands you're begging to get rid of!

No use cluttering that triple garage, keep'em for the cages, or that shed for the zero radius lawn mower!

Yee haw!! !

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 07-07-2018, 07:41 AM
Site Contributor

Sounds like plenty of space for your stuff Bruce. The rest sounds great too. Congrats!

Jim
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jpel' for this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Now that you are getting rid of stuff, I'll give you some help.

I'll be coming over to take them bikes off of your hands you're begging to get rid of!

No use cluttering that triple garage, keep'em for the cages, or that shed for the zero radius lawn mower!

Yee haw!! !
Louis:

The bikes are the few things for sure I'm keeping - but you are certainly welcome to a massive heap of junk I need to get rid of - if you are interested in junk that is?

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpel
Sounds like plenty of space for your stuff Bruce. The rest sounds great too. Congrats!

Jim
Jim it really is going to work out well in regard to plenty of space for all my stuff.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)