I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to Rip Send a message via MSN to Rip Send a message via Yahoo to Rip
New bike, New ride

My fellow Riders, I made the decision to sell my 2004 1200 GT and buy a 2018 1200 RT, black of course.
I will be picking it up in 2 weeks on Charlote NC. I will not be able to ride for another 6 weeks or so due to knee replacement, so I will have to trailor my bike to Charlote and pick up my new bike and trailor it home.
Never trailored a bike but I would rather have my bike here and look at it instead of in a bike shop. My friend was kind enough to offer his truck and trailor and time for this adventure.
It was time to pull the trigger and buy something I will enjoy riding more here. It is the premium model with all the bells and whistles. I will be much more comfortable riding the long straight roads to the mountains and I like the comforts of new technology in my older years.
I will miss my beloved GT, but looking forward to a new ride. I wonder how much I will miss it in the twisties, but I will not miss it on the long roads there.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rip' for this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,432 Times in 3,152 Posts

Re: New bike, New ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
My fellow Riders, I made the decision to sell my 2004 1200 GT and buy a 2018 1200 RT, black of course.
I will be picking it up in 2 weeks on Charlote NC. I will not be able to ride for another 6 weeks or so due to knee replacement, so I will have to trailor my bike to Charlote and pick up my new bike and trailor it home.
Never trailored a bike but I would rather have my bike here and look at it instead of in a bike shop. My friend was kind enough to offer his truck and trailor and time for this adventure.
It was time to pull the trigger and buy something I will enjoy riding more here. It is the premium model with all the bells and whistles. I will be much more comfortable riding the long straight roads to the mountains and I like the comforts of new technology in my older years.
I will miss my beloved GT, but looking forward to a new ride. I wonder how much I will miss it in the twisties, but I will not miss it on the long roads there.
I have a feeling you are going to like the RT just fine.

Make sure you take a few pics and post them. And yes I agree much better to have the bike in your garage while waiting to ride it than leaving it at the dealers.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Congratulations on the new ride.

One or both knees???
I had one done mid January, was walking the same day (with a walker for about 3 days) cane for two weeks. Was back on the Ducati at 8 weeks, thought the GT would be too heavy.
Did the second knee mid April and was on the GT at 6 weeks.

Do all the physical therapy, especially the stuff at home.

You need to be able to bend the leg 110 degrees, (the leg straight is 0 degrees, so you bend past 90 like a deep squat) to be comfortable on the RT.

07 K1200GT CGM
00 Ducati 900 Monster
Old 07-07-2018, 11:12 PM
Getting up to speed

You’ll love the RT, I have a 08 GT but have rented the RT and RTW a few times. I love them, they seem to have a good top end for highway riding and are way more agile in the twisties. I’ve met up before with K bike’s in the mountains and I could out pace them in the turns but on straight always they had me beat!
Old 07-08-2018, 04:57 AM
De kessé ???
Thanked 6,355 Times in 1,712 Posts

Congrats on the new ride !

I know it's more fun to have it at home , but you'll be losing 6 weeks of warranty by doing so .
Old 07-08-2018, 06:39 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,575 Times in 807 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,827 Times in 2,818 Posts

Nice to hear Rip, good luck with the rehab, we'll look forward to a ride tale or two!