I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-30-2018, 01:09 AM
Getting up to speed

Ignition switched on sself test tachometer needle bouncing

I'm looking to purchase a 2003 K1200GT and the seller says is wont start because the right handlebar switch has been damaged in a crash. But he sent me a video showing him turn the ignition key and I see several indicartors light but also I notice that the tach needle is cycling between about 6000 and 1000. The needle almost seems to be pulsing with a blinking dash light and I can hear a sound in the video which matches the needle.

This seems to me the bike is stuck in a start up self test (I would swear I've seen bikes or cars that bring the tach needle full swing and back as soon as you turn the key). comments?

oh, and if I wanted to try to start or at least crank the motor, can anyone share a link showing best way to jumper the start relay or perhaps hotwire the handlebar control switch.

thanks!
Old 10-30-2018, 01:41 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

Re: Ignition switched on sself test tachometer needle bouncing

Don't buy it unless you can get it running, the ABS servo in this bike is a trouble spot. Besides tons of other things. Project bike okay but 500$ would be tops.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 10-30-2018, 05:33 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Ignition switched on sself test tachometer needle bouncing

Looks like dirty starter motor armature issues to me that let all manner of gremlins loose around the electrical system. Many components on these bikes earth via the starter motor to ground, and when the armature gets dirty the brushes don't make a proper connection, so earth becomes compromised. Other common issues are an inaccurate and fluctuating speedo needle, indicators that shut off after one or two flashes, headlight beam that pulses at around 4000 RPM, cruise control that won't play ball, and of course a starter motor that won't turn over. Tapping the starter motor with a solid object like a heavy screw driver while pushing the starter button will usually "bump" the starter sufficiently to get it moving and start the bike.
Removing and cleaning the starter is a very difficult process by the book, but both Pbegin and myself have pioneered methods of starter motor removal that is extremely fiddly but very doable in a fraction of the time. His tutorial is in the stickies.
If the R/H switch block is damaged to the point it won't function, what is the extent of other damage like the fairings?
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flying Kiwi' for this post:
Old 10-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Getting up to speed

2003 k1200gt self diagnosis start sequence

Im looking at a crashed bike where the seller says it wont start because the right handlebar control is broken. He shared video of him turning on the ignition and i notice besides the blinking dash lights (i think general malfunction and ABS lights), the tach needle is cycling between 1k and 6k at about 1Hz. This looks to me like the bike is stuck in a self test sequence. Can anyone verify their 2003 k1200gt does at least one tach needle swing when you turn on ignition key? Secondly, I would not go buy the GS911 just to check out this bike but might I be able to use my Bluetooth obd2 reader with an adapter cable BMW 10 pin round to obd2 rectangle? Lastly, any ideas on getting past the start sequence to try cranking the bike?? Maybe I should be happy if I can get the bike for the price I can part it but I have lots of parts and bikes and no room and this thing where I have to save bikes instead of part them and I really like the looks of this bike compared to my '84 yamaha venture.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:30 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,094 Times in 2,905 Posts

Re: 2003 k1200gt self diagnosis start sequence

Hi Gary, and welcome to the site. I've merged the two threads you've posted on this topic, and moved them into the K1200RS/GT forum, because in 2003 the GT was the "Brick" motor bike. After 2005-6 BMW dropped the "Brick" motor line, and moved to the "Slant" motor version and dropping the KRS designation, making it the KS and KGT designation.

As for what you are observing, Richard (Flying Kiwi) has provided a clear place to start.

Also note that in 2003 the KRS/GT bikes had an electric servo motor, essentially a power brake assist system, that is a known failure issue even if well maintained. If functioning correctly the ABS system goes through a self check when the key is turned (even without the engine running) and the warning triangle light is on and the "brake failure" light flashes at 1 second intervals. If things are working correctly the warning triangle will extinguish after a few seconds and when the bike is started and driven a few feet, and the system is working properly, the brake failure light will turn off.

The other lights that will be illuminated when the key is turned on and the engine off are the water temperature light, the battery light, and the oil light. The tach and speedo are not engaged until the engine is started. Here's a link to a video for illustration purposes only,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8-65dmEFo
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 PM
Getting up to speed

thanks all and sorry for the bumble in Brick vs Slant. and thanks for the detail on start up so seems the tack bouncing is really goofy as it doesn't even do a swing during normal first self test.. Anyone know how that tach is driven??

and the ABS servo, I thought the bike would operate fine (except for warning lights) even with a total ABS failure.. I could troubleshoot that on my own if I got the bike.

yes, bad grounds make for bad gremlins but a ground through a starter is odd. Usually the battery has a heavy cable bolted to the frame and the starter motor gets +12v from a relay/solenoid and the motor itself needs good ground connection to the frame in order to actuate the starter. I read somewhere about spider connectors not making good contact with the frame.

Project bike? not really. the bike has reasonable miles and is missing the windshield and front marker light. I'm sure there are some scrapes also but I wont be able to see them when riding. I thought the bike worth about $3K running right and was told it had been crashed, so figured it should run with a repair that's kind of obvious (not a rats nest of failed computers and electrical gremlins).

anyone else can comment on the diagnostic port? this seems to indicate there is no way to examine or clear fault codes without the real tool https://os.mbed.com/users/fossum_13/...w-motorcycles/
Old 10-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Getting up to speed

holy smokes, just looked at this video and it showed the guy starting his S1000RR and the tach did indeed cycle up and down as part of the turn on self test. I don't know how that bike relates to the 2003 K1200GT.. can anyone else comment? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igj4vt3UXBU
Old 10-30-2018, 03:57 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,527 Times in 3,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyS-NJ
holy smokes, just looked at this video and it showed the guy starting his S1000RR and the tach did indeed cycle up and down as part of the turn on self test. I don't know how that bike relates to the 2003 K1200GT.. can anyone else comment? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igj4vt3UXBU
The RR does in fact sweep but the older GT did not no common relationship between the 2 bikes. One electronic package does not have anything to do with the other.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 10-30-2018, 04:39 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Gary the "Brick" motor K bikes have NOTHING in common with the RR - the KRS/GT series was introduced in 1997, and except for mostly cosmetic changes it wasn't changed much over its run through 2005, the RR and the "S" series "Slant" motor bikes are a 'hole nother' animal and do not share any significant components or design features.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks Bruce. What a let down. I was counting on figuring this out with the help of the obd2 connection. But something is definitely actuating that tach and perhaps it's not unfixable. I was just out taking pics of my venture to sell and make room for the heated seats heated grips k1200gt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
The RR does in fact sweep but the older GT did
not no common relationship between the 2 bikes. One electronic package does not have anything to do with the other.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:57 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Gary, there is a tool, known as the GS-911, that plugs into the bike's diagnosis port, that will assist with many fault code, here's a couple of links that may help,

https://www.gs911usa.com/

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...&highlight=obd
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 10-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Getting up to speed

It's unraveling. I just watched that you tube video for the start sequence and at time equal 13 seconds (ignition on self test) and time 1:42 I hear a servo which is his ABS servo. Now this bike I'm looking into, as the Tach needle is jumping up and down with ignition on, it is timed with that servo actuating. So our answer here, is that the bike is stuck in and repeating the first ignition on self test and somehow actuating the ABS servo is developing a voltage across the electronic Tach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Hi Gary, and welcome to the site. I've merged the two threads you've posted on this topic, and moved them into the K1200RS/GT forum, because in 2003 the GT was the "Brick" motor bike. After 2005-6 BMW dropped the "Brick" motor line, and moved to the "Slant" motor version and dropping the KRS designation, making it the KS and KGT designation.

As for what you are observing, Richard (Flying Kiwi) has provided a clear place to start.

Also note that in 2003 the KRS/GT bikes had an electric servo motor, essentially a power brake assist system, that is a known failure issue even if well maintained. If functioning correctly the ABS system goes through a self check when the key is turned (even without the engine running) and the warning triangle light is on and the "brake failure" light flashes at 1 second intervals. If things are working correctly the warning triangle will extinguish after a few seconds and when the bike is started and driven a few feet, and the system is working properly, the brake failure light will turn off.

The other lights that will be illuminated when the key is turned on and the engine off are the water temperature light, the battery light, and the oil light. The tach and speedo are not engaged until the engine is started. Here's a link to a video for illustration purposes only,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8-65dmEFo
Old 10-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
It's unraveling. I just watched that you tube video for the start sequence and at time equal 13 seconds (ignition on self test) and time 1:42 I hear a servo which is his ABS servo. Now this bike I'm looking into, as the Tach needle is jumping up and down with ignition on, it is timed with that servo actuating. So our answer here, is that the bike is stuck in and repeating the first ignition on self test and somehow actuating the ABS servo is developing a voltage across the electronic Tach...

To my knowledge, and my experience (I have an '02 KRS) the ABS servo does not actuate unless you step on the rear brake peddle, or pull the front brake lever, the noise it makes is best described as a high pitched whine. Based upon what you are describing there is something very wrong with the bike's electronics. Perhaps one or two of our members, Sailor, for example may be able to weigh in with more definitive thoughts. If I were you I'd consider one not so plagued as there are lots of low mileage clean bikes out there. Take a look at the site's classifieds, for example, http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...-2c-etc-&cat=3
Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks again CJ. I saw the GS-911 tool. As for the ABS servo actuating on start up, are you sure it doesn't actuate on the initial self test when you turn the key on?? It did so on the S1000RR but yes, I understand completely different bikes and electronics..
Old 10-30-2018, 08:12 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Thanks again CJ. I saw the GS-911 tool. As for the ABS servo actuating on start up, are you sure it doesn't actuate on the initial self test when you turn the key on?? It did so on the S1000RR but yes, I understand completely different bikes and electronics..

No the electronic servo assist that was offered on the '02-'04 RS/GT models in the US ('01-'05 in Canada and Europe) and through '06 on the K1200S and K1200GT (Slant motor model) only actuates when the brakes are applied.

The S1000RR is not plagued by the servo motor brakes. BMW gave up on that ill fated experiment following the '06 models so the S1000RR does not have a servo in its brake system - ABS yes, but not with an electric servo assist which is the only part that makes noise.

What you may be hearing is the fuel pump which engages only for a second or so when the key is turned on and operates when the engine is running. But be assured the electric assist servo, unless the wiring is more screwed up than you've been lead to believe, doesn't engage absent application of the brakes.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:20 AM
Getting up to speed

Pretty sure it was not the fuel pump cycling in time with the tach needle swings.. It sounded just like that ABS servo. I believe you that the servo only actuates when the brakes are applied but the servo is an electronic device so something is sensing the application of brakes and then this something sends a signal to the servo as it monitors the wheel speed sensors. ABS would have it that a skidding wheel lets off the brake pressure so the servo pump would bleed off brake pressure. that said, it seems like the ABS controller is malfunctioning or if the tach is driven by another computer which supports the ABS controller then perhaps that module is defective. funny troubleshooting this bike I don't even have but I found that you can bypass the ABS altogether and I almos might be able to rebuild the ABS controller. But is sounds like the ABS servo is a simple "smart" pump and it's signals are coming from something else. Can anyone comment on this? is there an ABS dedicated computer or just one computer for the whole bike?

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...GT-ABS-failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
No the electronic servo assist that was offered on the '02-'04 RS/GT models in the US ('01-'05 in Canada and Europe) and through '06 on the K1200S and K1200GT (Slant motor model) only actuates when the brakes are applied.

The S1000RR is not plagued by the servo motor brakes. BMW gave up on that ill fated experiment following the '06 models so the S1000RR does not have a servo in its brake system - ABS yes, but not with an electric servo assist which is the only part that makes noise.

What you may be hearing is the fuel pump which engages only for a second or so when the key is turned on and operates when the engine is running. But be assured the electric assist servo, unless the wiring is more screwed up than you've been lead to believe, doesn't engage absent application of the brakes.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:30 AM
Getting up to speed

found this on another board: "After looking at the wiring diagram I tend to agree. But it is either the sensor itself or the main board in the ABS unit. Since the controller takes the signal from the wheel sensor and passes it to the speedometer. The main board could still be the culprit.

Worth a check anyway. PN 34522333490 is $118.00. "
Old 10-31-2018, 06:04 AM
Site Contributor

Surely if the R/H switch block is damaged then probably the micro switch that feeds the brake signal to the servo brake motors is also damaged. It takes only a small misalignment to open circuit the power feed to the motors. This would result in constant power to the servos and when this happens the diagnostics will not complete their checks resulting in a fault. I would be checking this out first. Always sort the simple stuff first and then check the earth is solid. Any auto electrical shop with half decent diagnostic tools with trace any fault like this and it doesn’t need to be BMW diagnostic equipment either.
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flying Kiwi' for this post:
Old 10-31-2018, 01:25 PM
Getting up to speed

wow, that sounds spot on thanks!. I pretty much decided I wanted the bike figuring I have a few bikes and if the ABS turned out to be rotten I would bypass it (I don't have abs on other bikes). but if it pointed towards the main ECU and that turned out to be an expensive test I would be crying. These efforts in this thread are much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
Surely if the R/H switch block is damaged then probably the micro switch that feeds the brake signal to the servo brake motors is also damaged. It takes only a small misalignment to open circuit the power feed to the motors. This would result in constant power to the servos and when this happens the diagnostics will not complete their checks resulting in a fault. I would be checking this out first. Always sort the simple stuff first and then check the earth is solid. Any auto electrical shop with half decent diagnostic tools with trace any fault like this and it doesn’t need to be BMW diagnostic equipment either.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:48 PM
Site Contributor

Gary, I mentioned in my previous reply that the brake circuit has probably gone open circuit. This is wrong- if the micro switch has faulted the circuit would be closed as it is when you squeeze the brake lever. This is a common issue when the bike falls on the R/H side but usually affects the foot brake lever so worth checking this as well.
The family history:
Old 11-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Getting up to speed

Yes, I read that and just got to thinking it unlikely that by design the bike would stick in self test if you turn on the key with the brake actuated. but I'm not scared of this stuff. If the main computer on the bike (assuming there is only one) has gone south, I may have to bite that bullet. I have not yet looked into the electronics design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
Gary, I mentioned in my previous reply that the brake circuit has probably gone open circuit. This is wrong- if the micro switch has faulted the circuit would be closed as it is when you squeeze the brake lever. This is a common issue when the bike falls on the R/H side but usually affects the foot brake lever so worth checking this as well.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Site Contributor

Once you sort the micro switch or both if necessary the bike theoretically should start assuming there are no other issues. Once running all flashing lights will go out once bike is moving at a walking pace.
If lights remain flashing all is not lost but you will need to report back in to advise what lights are flashing. Hopefully the handbooks are under the seat as these give a good description of faults and remedies
The family history:
Old 11-02-2018, 12:04 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Just tried mine holding the brake then turning the key to simulate a stuck switch. Fast flash on the ABS light then normal cycle when I released it. Also tried with the kill on which seemed to have no effect. No movement of the gauge needles....

Plenty of ECU's on eBay if you need one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-BMW-K120...c0%7 Ciid%3A1

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-K' for this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks Kiwi and Rick,

you folks are awesome on this board. Selling my Yamaha Venture I'm already feeling a loss for connection with my Venture forum guys but I guess this is life, it's like falling in love with a new person and realizing you should leave your current mate.

So Rick, holding the brake and turning on the ignition did not keep the ABS servo cycling on and off or affect the tach needle or keep the start button from firing the starter relay?

so sounds like it's got a little hair around it but I'm hearing the brick is a bulletproof long mileage motor and Im sure I can isolate it ESPECIALLY if ECU's are reasobnable (thanks again rick, I didn't even get that far to looking) and ABS units are rebuildable (used seems expensive) or deleteable.

I'm going for the bike tomorrow. Anyone here interested in a 1984 Yamaha Venture XVZ1200 Royale rough looking but perfect running.. I need space in my yard for the K12GT
Old 11-02-2018, 03:48 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Didn't try the starter, sounds to me like you have a loose/dodgy connection or bad battery. I would check the negatives on the battery first and make sure they are clean & tight.

It would be real hard to repair that ECU with SMD's (Surface Mount Devices) unless you had specialized equipment to remove/install them and why would you since there are so many used available cheap? If you get a used ECU, ideally you want a 296. Next would be a 166 (last 3 digits like the one I posted) and last a 477. DO NOT get anything else!

I would be real surprised if it was the ECU since it is trying to initiate and self test. If the ECU was bad them it likely wouldn't do anything.

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 11-02-2018, 04:26 PM

There are three of the 166 models on EBay today. One for 45$ and willing to ship world wide.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
K-K
Old 11-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Getting up to speed

I'm guessing the owner tried the starter rel at and power to the starter I don't know. He's selling as is and shared video where when you turn the key i can hear the abs solenoid is cycling and the tach needle is swunging with it which sdhould nit happen so i have some gremlins to chase.. starting with the righf handlebar control which is either broke or partially disassembled. Oh and I ment re pair the ABS pump. I would not try troubleshoot the ECU asnd thanks on those part numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
Didn't try the starter, sounds to me like you have a loose/dodgy connection or bad battery. I would check the negatives on the battery first and make sure they are clean & tight.

It would be real hard to repair that ECU with SMD's (Surface Mount Devices) unless you had specialized equipment to remove/install them and why would you since there are so many used available cheap? If you get a used ECU, ideally you want a 296. Next would be a 166 (last 3 digits like the one I posted) and last a 477. DO NOT get anything else!

I would be real surprised if it was the ECU since it is trying to initiate and self test. If the ECU was bad them it likely wouldn't do anything.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Getting up to speed

I got it! And of course there were many more things broken including the rear tire (but rim looked good) and the rear fender and front fairing shifted so I can only hope it's straight.. And up front under the fairing there was a loose line with broken nipple off a trans cooler.. And it didn't start but it looks fast in the back of my pickup. Can anyone point me to soft copy wiring diagram and repair manual?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181103_163750_586.jpg (97.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Well looks like you've got your work cut out for you. You should pick up the Clymer manual for the bike, https://www.ebay.com/i/332841004927?chn=ps it has the wiring diagrams as a full section in the back of the thick book.

There are online manuals as well, but I don't know much about them, like this on, https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....epair?a=516802

An online parts fiche will help, https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...8&rnd=07242017,

and these websites will help, the www.beemerboneyard.com, www.re-psycle.com, https://ibmwr.org/index.php/ibmwr-marketplace/, www.pirateslair.net, and the classified section located on the tool bar above.

Let us know how your progress goes!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:16 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself worrying about a wiring schematic. Get it home and get all the Tupperware off first then have a good look. From this one photo it sure looks like the fuel quick disconnects leaked or are leaking as evidenced by the brown stain on the crank cover. No sense trying to start it until that engine oil cooler line is fixed and you get fresh oil & filter in it. If that oil cooler broke during the crash, causing it to pump all the oil out, and then it ran for any length of time you may have serious engine problems. What does the oil level look like in the sight glass?

In the future, put the front straps on the forks, not up high like you have them. Also, those rubber brake lines need to be replaced with S.S. Speigler's, don't ride it until you get that done. https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake...line-kits.html

Take your time and do it right so you have a chance of resurrecting this thing.

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 11-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Getting up to speed

Manual on the way and thanks on the oil cooler vs trans cooler, yes guess we need some blood pumping to fire it. First things first.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:05 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

You can plug the cooler lines at the oil cooler flange just behind the oil pump.They don't need a cooler to run,that thing is thermostatically controlled and oil only runs through the cooler when the thermostat opens.

I have a set of plugs/crush washers.Under the seat just in case a line fails.Easily found at a good hydraulic shop for a couple bucks each them plugs.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
K-K
Old 11-04-2018, 08:33 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
You can plug the cooler lines at the oil cooler flange just behind the oil pump.They don't need a cooler to run,that thing is thermostatically controlled and oil only runs through the cooler when the thermostat opens.

I have a set of plugs/crush washers.Under the seat just in case a line fails.Easily found at a good hydraulic shop for a couple bucks each them plugs.

Good idea so he invests minimum $$$ until he can verify it runs...

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 11-04-2018, 08:54 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,047 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton

Pierre,
Instead of these PLUGs, could we use just a short bolt of same thread with one spare crush-washer per hole ??

P.S.: good idea to carry these PLUGs - during last 5 years I have seen many older K1200RS with badly installed / aligned oil cooler lines that were rubbing at various places.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 11-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Getting up to speed

Thnks Pbegin.

I got the bike in my yard today & started pulling stuff off to get a at that oil cooler. Front fairing frame and windshield mechanism pretty bad. I bonded the nipple on the oil cooler as a temporary measure to run it. I also ordered a clymer manual which will be here in a week or a few days and i hope to trouble shoot the start up working with the mangled front hand control. The rear brake switch is activated because the peg and brake master bracket is broken. Any one know if the ABS brake servo is actuated by the fluid pressure or the brake lever switches?

UOTE=pbegin@burton]You can plug the cooler lines at the oil cooler flange just behind the oil pump.They don't need a cooler to run,that thing is thermostatically controlled and oil only runs through the cooler when the thermostat opens.

I have a set of plugs/crush washers.Under the seat just in case a line fails.Easily found at a good hydraulic shop for a couple bucks each them plugs.[/quote]
Old 11-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Servos are activated by both the switch and lever pressure.

Switches are a "make contact" type in the off position so reverse from a regular type switch.So if one disconnect the switch servos will run.Proper name for such switches is "break contact switch".

Front brake lever/switch runs both servo motors.Rear pedal/switch only one motor will run.

So broken switch? Remove and bridge the connector at the harness or splice the wires together.ABS brain should then complete the initial self test.

As far as I know the internals of the handlebar switches are the same on iABS bikes.But the way they are wired is different.One could hack something with other used switches parts as I did with my turn signals with 02 parts on my 03 but getting it started only should be pretty easy.

Oil cooler? Seen the KTM logo on it yet?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Getting up to speed

There's too many nice and smart BMW enthusiasts on this forum thanks!!!.. assuming I jumper the right things and get it started in the rain today, can anyone say which models (LT, GT, RS) years have same exact fit and function?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
There's too many nice and smart BMW enthusiasts on this forum thanks!!!.. assuming I jumper the right things and get it started in the rain today, can anyone say which models (LT, GT, RS) years have same exact fit and function?

The LT is a not-insignificantly a different beast.

Whereas the RS and GT are essentially the same bike.

The GT has higher and further set back set of bars, a motorized and taller windscreen, and some came equipped with heated seats.

As far as I can recall aside from the from the above cosmetic diffrerences, the GT came with color matched bags, bolt on black rubber/plastic leg, and color matched hand guard, bolt on extensions on the fairing sides, and nose piece. Mechanically they are the same bike. These photos illustrate the cosmetic differences.

RS Image

GT Image

Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:

If you only mean brake switches as to function? GS guys have the same switch and even found a cheap replacement.A few $$$ vs the rather expensive BMW parts.For the front switch for sure.

Don't skimp on details....I'd rather not guess these days before I start digging into that switch,been pretty busy.But I did post some of that info recently?As in the last year or so?Probably in yet another technical thread where the OP never came back?

As to models....parts crossreferences etc?Go to the Max BMW parts fiche,dig up your part numbers according to your VIN and copy/paste such numbers into their "part finder".Will open all the fiches as to which bikes/model/year they will apply.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 11-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K

I would be real surprised if it was the ECU since it is trying to initiate and self-test. If the ECU was bad them it likely wouldn't do anything.

Gary,

What Rick says about the "296" being the best unit is VERY true. You might have a 296 in your bike as I understand it was the last (and best) ECU they made. It's easy to get at after you pull the tank. You will have to remove the ECU to read the label but that's easy.

I changed my 477 for a 296 clone chip and it was a huge improvement in fuel mileage and driveability. The used 296 ECU's are "rare as hens teeth" per someone on here. There were none available when I looked.

Also, as K-K mentioned earlier, you will need to change the plastic OEM fuel line QD's for the chrome plated brass units from Beemer Boneyard. They come as a kit with extra tiny O-rings that can easily get nicked when reconnecting. You will find BBY has A LOT of stuff you will need, are VERY knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com

All pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lb7TQFD6gHU3c7A1A
Old 11-07-2018, 02:19 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

FWIW here's a thread I started a bit ago on "how to" change out the ECU. I subsequently also changed out the plug wires and plugs. Bike is running very well now!

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=60601

and for changing out the plug wires and plugs,

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=62831
Old 11-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Thank again everyone. I got it started today! The run stop switch was busted open so I shorted the inside tabs and then just pressed the start button. Of course I forgot to reinstall the oil cooler and that spurt a puddle in my yard before I could turn it off so seems that cooler is not on a thermostat. I have a bunch of bent/broken stuff to fix or rrplace but first things first i need a wheel and the LT wheel looks same.. is it same and only one silver color. Years?

And to replace my right handle bar switch,.. I found a few LT switches but looks like same except no seat heater switch. Otherwise is it plug and play?? I have a Sargent seat with no heater so I was thinking I can do without the switch.. Are anyone on finding they really like the heated seat and so should I get the control with the switch and look for a heated seat???

QUOTE=pbegin@burton]Servos are activated by both the switch and lever pressure.

Switches are a "make contact" type in the off position so reverse from a regular type switch.So if one disconnect the switch servos will run.Proper name for such switches is "break contact switch".

Front brake lever/switch runs both servo motors.Rear pedal/switch only one motor will run.

So broken switch? Remove and bridge the connector at the harness or splice the wires together.ABS brain should then complete the initial self test.

As far as I know the internals of the handlebar switches are the same on iABS bikes.But the way they are wired is different.One could hack something with other used switches parts as I did with my turn signals with 02 parts on my 03 but getting it started only should be pretty easy.

Oil cooler? Seen the KTM logo on it yet?[/quote]
Old 11-08-2018, 12:50 AM

No thermostat? Surprised?Sure is one but that doesn't mean NO oil going through the cooler.Them types of thermostats don't seal at 100%.Or maybe someone removed the thermostat spring to gain extra cooling?

LOTS of rather cheap oil coolers on fleabag.

Plug&Play switch? 2 listed for the GT,of course w/heated seat.Depends on build date.I'd hack something out of a similar switch as they can be carefully taken apart and rewired.Not sure if that is accurately depicted in the Clymer wiring diagram? Maybe but they sure got the fuse assignment wrong for my 03RS.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 11-08-2018, 01:41 AM

Wheel?

There I'll teach you how to use the parts fiche,you are definitely going to need that.

Click there?

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsS...ts=36317650026

That is the front wheel,RS/GT part number copy pasted into the search box/part finder in the MaxBMW site.Same wheel/different models.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks again,
That maxbmw look up wth used on is the bomb. The LT rear wheel look same but diff p/n..
As for the right handle bar control, mine is missing the cover and the heatedseat switch, and the directional cover and cancel cover and I guess there are button covers over the internal momentary switches, and the run/stop momentary switch is bad. Ill try that max BMW look up.. what I was trying to ask was about a common handlebar control perhaps without the heated eat switch then the common sense approach to swap and relocate the heated seat switch (for me I might just bring the wires there Because I dont have the heated seat).
Old 11-08-2018, 12:02 PM

See....I have two of them switches.The 03OEM from my bike and an 02.No butt warmer! Different connector in the electrical box,less wires(?)on the later one and different color codes so not plug & play.But the switches mechanicals and housing are the same.I already transplanted parts of the 02 into my 03.I don't need the rest just yet but if I do,I'll just put both on the bench and sit down with my small soldering iron....Ohmeter....etc etc and work it out.Maybe with some help from Clymer but probably not!

Don't know if it still on your switch but the silver label should have the part number?The label one has to remove to access the two tiny Torx screws and then remove the little cover to get at the switches?

I am pretty sure the LT wheel will fit.BUT it is heavier than the RS/GT.Heavier and sturdier to compensate as the LT is a much heavier bike?Trying to remember where that was but so many years ago....I can't.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 11-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Ebay may be your friend https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0
Old 11-08-2018, 05:29 PM

Some of them fleabag sellers don't even know their right from left....!

I did look yesterday,only saw one that has the right connector for my later production 03 RS.So my bike is post changes.And rather overpriced at that the switch.

Don't know about the OP's bike but someone should give him the link to the VIN decoder so he can sort his production date if that isn't done in Max's parts fiche once VIN is typed in?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 11-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: 2003 k1200gt brakes

Haven't done anything yet with the handle BAR switch.. the LT wheel looks same but more narrow. I banged my wheel closer to shape and plugged a scrap tire which is holding air for a test ride. Replaced the rear master mount (it was broke) along with the master it came with and the resevour feed line. Had a time bleeding the rear brake. I'm think it's ok now but comments on below?
I did read through my new clymer manual... My mighty vac was Mia. Eventually I got the bubbles out and a long while to get the fluid clear changed through. Stayed spongy for a long while and never got rock solid with good brakes. seems the master has a small volume very much just to actuate that in the abs power assist which probably has a lot of small tubing and valves. Suspect this bike has very compromised brakes without power to the abs unit (geeze, I hope that's not why the PO crashed... test ride today). Does the abs unit have an electric pump?? Wtf? The rear master really seems to have too little volume or pressure if hooked directly to the rear caliper.. And u read that the front lever also actuated the rear brake, was I supposed to bleed by also pumping the front lever (I tried a few pumps) and is it possible that a spongy front brake system could cause the back to be soft since the front also drives the back or is that a one eay valve in tbe rediculous abs box?? Could my abs box seals be leaki g seeing as after bleeding through all the dark bra ke fluid it's still a little spongy in that I could bottom the lever if I stay on it (That sounds like a squishy master but it wasn't leaking past the dust cover).
Old 11-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

If the servo ABS unit is not functioning, (and with the key on, and engine off, if you engage either the front or rear brake, you will hear the electric servo motors very clearly) you may only have residual braking power, or essentially no brakes. Try rolling the bike around without the key on and engage the front brake and you'll see what I mean by "residual braking power", the same applies to the rear brake.

Also in order to properly bleed the brakes on your bike you really have to follow the steps in this post, http://www.i-bmw.com/showpost.php?p=781417&postcount=7

Also for what its worth some recommend that reverse filling the brake caliper at the bleed nipple with a large syringe is the way to go, something like this,

Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM

You should have heard the ABS servo actuate when you were bleeding the brakes. It would be pumping fluid from the wheel reservoir in the ABS unit to the caliper. That portion of the bleed needs the key to be on.
S1000R
Old 11-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks both.. CJ that brake procedure was a great read. Funny it says CLYMER doesn't cover the IABS. I thought about connecting a battery but then figured if there was a earth of fluid in th AND unit, the pump might not be happy. I think a mitivac with speed bleeder and a better way to fill th master would have been more efficient. I know this thread is wandering around and i have questions next about windshield. Does it still make sense to keep one thread on the un crashing of my 2003 k1200gt?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: 2003 k1200gt busted missing windshield

I bought the bike without the windshield and the front fairing mount frame is bent but the windshield motor is actuating. I'm not sure how many pieces are missing, need to look at the ma bmw fisch and used on. I didn't see a gt windshield on eBay but empty of my windshields .. anyone know if an LT screen, or anything else can be mounted or modified to mount, perhaps losing the up/down functionality? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332850997239
Old 11-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Entering the on-ramp

The GT & RS are interchangeable (rs is shorter). Pretty sure the LT was way different. I have a super tall aftermarket shield you can have, it came with my bike but I never put it on because I though it needed a windshield wiper! Pm me, based on your name I suspect we’re close geographically.. (or not, I assumed S NJ. Not so much)