I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > General Discussions > Dealer Experiences
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Dealer Experiences Good, Bad, Ugly? Share with us !

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,181 Posts

Max BMW

Okay most of you know that I deal with Max's.

I wanted to share my latest experience with them in regard to my 2013 KS.

From the beginning - Nov 2012 - brought the bike home.

I did ride the bike maybe a few hundred miles and then parked it for the season.

Spring 2013 - now riding it and liking it a lot.

Did the 600 mile service - everything a okay.

From the 600 mile service on - I started using oil that seemed excessive. Okay I start to document this and I also called the service manager (Tony) in New York.

By the end of the year I had carefully documented the oil consumption by taking a picture of the odometer and the oil level tube after every ride.

Bike goes up to Max's in December of 2013. They do a compression test - leak down test - pull the spark plugs - drop the headers and take a look inside - scope the exhaust pipe - check the SAS all perfect.

At this point he is speaking with BMW - they ask him if he has personally verified the consumption - he told them he had not. He also told them he 100% believed me and that my documentation procedure and photos were extremely accurate.

BMW authorized Max's to do a piston kit and valve seals - spark plugs and anything else required in this procedure.

Fast forward to March 2014 - get the bike back - looks perfect - sounds perfect - rides perfect.

Still using oil - maybe it slowed down a little but certainly more than I consider to be acceptable.

All during this past season I've let Tony know that the bike is still using oil. Decision made to keep putting miles on it and see what happens and again during the winter if needed it will be addressed again.

July 2014 going on a few day ride with Jargon to NY. Morning I'm leaving the bike does not start - starter not engaging - does this a few times then starts. Not good. I check the battery connections - battery - seems okay. Make decision to go anyway - only going to NY if the starter fails not too far from home.

Entire trip no issues. Get home and call Tony in NY - we both feel bad starter. Tell him that in a week heading out for a trip to KY. He suggested I call their S. Windsor, CT store and see if they can take it right in - they are much closer to me.

I get it to them the next day - and the next 4 days they can't get it to fail. There was some confusion during this time - and I'm a guy that likes to be in the know so to speak.

So I pick up the bike and let the service writer know how upset I will be if the bike does not start while on my trip. He acknowledges me and states - BMW will not let them take the starter out if they did not experience anything to indicate the starter was bad.

I ride home no issues - even ride the bike over the weekend no issues. Okay maybe a fluke but I know what I experienced and it most definitely was a starter not working.

Monday August 4th I have the bike all packed up ready to leave next day 5:00 a.m. I remembered I needed gas and did not want to go for gas in the morning. Roll the bike out of the garage and go to start it - and sure enough starter not engaging just a buzz. This time I can't get it to start at all. Had to roll it down the driveway to kind of pop start it - get it off the bad spot - worked and started right up.

Of course Max's is closed on Monday and I'm leaving in the morning - well not anymore. I sent a few emails to the S. Windsor store. Late Monday afternoon the manager called me and said get to them in the morning and they will put a tech on it and try to overnight parts.

Tuesday August 5th bike dropped off not having much hope of going on the trip.

Wednesday August 6th I call them in the morning and they said it is going to be more involved than just a starter. I was less than happy - trip officially over before it ever started.

At this time I am in contact with Ben Stratton - made the decision that I want to part ways with this bike. Don't forget even after the starter issue gets resolved it is looking like I still have an oil issue to deal with.

Ben informs me they have 1 2014 K1300S left - I ask what color - first good news in days - it is black.

He gives me a price to do the deal - I'm not pleased at all - my bike 1.5 years old I'm going to take a huge hit. I ask if he can hold the bike a few days. I tell him I will be in contact with BMW. Going to plead my case - I'm getting killed here both in regard to lack of use of my current bike and financially if I want to get out of this.

I start with customer service - I do make it to a resolution manager - very polite and they will be contacting Max BMW.

At this time everything kind of goes into slow motion - nothing from the service department - is the bike done - are they waiting on me to make a decision - nothing from BMW.

I call the service department and find out they decided to ship my bike down to their other CT store to do this repair - they have several master techs there and this is not a slam dunk repair.

Also Ben informs me that he has contacted BMW on my behalf - no answer from them at that time.

I call BMW back and ask them to please move this up the ladder if possible faster than it was currently going. Prime riding season - only one bike left at Max's.

BMW said they are working on it and getting information from Max's and it could be another 5 days before they have an answer.

At this point nothing - repair of my bike - getting a new one - unless I want to just take a royal beating.

Fast forward to this past Thursday - Ben calls me and tells me they had a BMW rep in the CT store and they go over my situation.

Both BMW and Max's stepped up to the plate and helped me make this deal.

Honestly I'm certain because Max's is such a large dealer they were able to get this rep in and get this resolved much faster than I would have been able.

Bought the bike Thursday - wanted it ASAP - they are very busy - not looking good for this week. They are switching over my stuff from old bike to new bike.

So I was not hopeful for a delivery this week.

Brianna(service manager)in Brookfield really went the extra mile for me. Friday she had a tech start the swap over. Next problem no way for me to get down there and no way they can deliver it.

Yesterday I called them to make sure the bike is done - she said it would be by early afternoon.

She also told me that Max knew of the situation and that he was willing to bring the bike to South Windsor himself if that would help me - it did - that store is 35 mils from my house.

Had a good conversation with Max - spoke about my frustration with everything - and spoke about how in the end they came through for me.

Picked the new bike up around 3:00 p.m. yesterday.

One thing I can say - I always let everyone know how frustrated and upset I was - in every regard - but I always kept it very cordial and more to the professional side.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,604 Times in 823 Posts

Re: Max BMW

Looks like in the end and through the process Max's was trying to do the right thing. They have procedures they have to go by and by you 1) doing a lot of business with them and 2) being calm and professional, I'm sure made them want to try and help you. glad it got worked out for you although I'm sure it was frustrating as you were going through it. Hope you have better luck with this bike.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnrip
Looks like in the end and through the process Max's was trying to do the right thing. They have procedures they have to go by and by you 1) doing a lot of business with them and 2) being calm and professional, I'm sure made them want to try and help you. glad it got worked out for you although I'm sure it was frustrating as you were going through it. Hope you have better luck with this bike.
Wes:

The biggest part of all of this was missing the trip to KY. It was then I knew my 13 KS was going. But I needed help and after a few bumps in the road I got the help I needed to make it happen.

I would really like to put a boat load of miles on this new bike and just do routine maintenance.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,207 Posts

Having a good dealer, one who is fair and willing to help their customers, is priceless. Congrats!

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
Old 08-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Site Contributor

So true, Joe! Glad things went so well for ya, Bruce!!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:56 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,197 Posts

Good dealer story and you now have a "black one". Nice bike. There was a thread back awhile, high oil consumption. Turned out to be a leaking secondary air gasket of all things if I remember correctly.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Good dealer story and you now have a "black one". Nice bike. There was a thread back awhile, high oil consumption. Turned out to be a leaking secondary air gasket of all things if I remember correctly.
Beech:

They checked the SAS and no oil. I really think the guides were the issue. The new one is an identical twin to the 13 - I'm just hoping only in the looks department.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Site Contributor

who is the guy in the avatar next to your name?
Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S

Is Max's like a chain of whore houses to you?

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Your riding instructor.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
Is Max's like a chain of whore houses to you?

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Your riding instructor.

ouch
Old 08-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,073 Posts

Quote:
ouch
Yeah Paul, Bruce takes no prisoners.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 08-24-2014, 10:37 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Bruce,

Glad this ultimately worked out for you. And, (after this series of "events"), congratulations on the new black, 2014 13S!

You know, reading your opening post, it almost read like a novel. Held my breadth as things slowed down after the option of the new bike came up - thinking as the post read-on that the story would take a turn and you'd say they sold the black 2014. Was so pleased this didn't occur and it's now your brand-new bike.

Miles
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Miles_Miller' for this post:
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Bruce,

Glad this ultimately worked out for you. And, (after this series of "events"), congratulations on the new black, 2014 13S!

You know, reading your opening post, it almost read like a novel. Held my breadth as things slowed down after the option of the new bike came up - thinking as the post read-on that the story would take a turn and you'd say they sold the black 2014. Was so pleased this didn't occur and it's now your brand-new bike.

Miles
Miles:

While this was all going on that was a very real possibility. They were holding the bike for me for a few days to see what was going to happen. As time went on I thought for sure that with my luck they would sell it.

Now I just want to get some miles on it and forget about the other one.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,572 Times in 851 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

Look at the brighter side as well Bruce: Better rallies/ road trips ahead. DGR is one great example! Congrats
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'vics' for this post:
Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics
Look at the brighter side as well Bruce: Better rallies/ road trips ahead. DGR is one great example! Congrats
Vic:

Exactly the 13 is in the past and looking forward to putting some serious miles on the 14. Haven't been to the DGR in years - can't say I can make this one but it is never out of the question until the very last minute.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)