I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Antenna Ring/Immobilizer Issues
Poll Options
Antenna Ring/Immobilizer Issues

Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Antenna Ring Immobilizer Issue(s)

Is this whole issue of the failing antenna ring an Internet created problem that feeds upon itself or are the numbers so low as to be unimportant/trivial?
Jacksonville, (Northeast) Florida
Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Antenna Ring Immobilizer Issue(s)

One glitch a couple years ago. Lasted less than 2 minutes. Turned it off, thought this sucks, and started looking up my dealers number on the cell. Put the key back in to make sure it was really not going to start, and Vroooooom. Not loosing sleep about it.

Ride Fast.....Get there before the Accident!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:31 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Greg/ClearwaterBMW had a few with his '05 GS, I didn't with my '05 GS. I didn't want to complicate the POLL with too many variables (dates of failure) but my gut feeling is that this is a relatively new issue as I don't remember this issue in the early days of the GS's and KS's. Hope you voted.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Is this whole issue of the failing antenna ring an Internet created problem that feeds upon itself or are the numbers so low as to be unimportant/trivial?
That's not the point as I see it. The point is that we have a system that can disable the bike with no owner over-ride. A system that no one I know of asked for, and a system that we cannot disconnect. (Ducati now has a code the owner can bypass EWS with. BMW will not entertain the idea of allowing a bypass.) The system should either be an option, or not be there at all. To allow a system that can strand the owner of the bike in the middle of nowhere under the guise of theft prevention is ludicrous. BMW won't even tell you that a spare ring can be installed as an emergency "fix".

When I inquired to BMW about the possibility of bypassing the EWS in an emergency they (BMW) replied that they do not have technically quallified people to answer my questions. They said I should ask my dealer about any technical issues.

EWS. Would it be a problem here?

or here?

or even here? Stop for a pic, and ....
Old 09-04-2007, 07:45 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Tim, this issue is raging on ADVRIDER.COM and I wanted to see if there were any differences among CAN-bus models. Most certainly, your immediate involvement with the failure postures your position clearly, but what I am trying, likely in vain as this is by no means a statistical sampling, to determine if this is as bad a problem as the 'press' it receives. And please, your arguments are valid and reasonable but if the numbers don't support your arguments I can see BMW not doing a thing about it. We don't get into the design phase of these cycles and while we can offer opinions I don't think anything will be done about it. Consider, that in BMW's opinion, unless you have a key, disregard the poor thief that encounters a bad antenna ring, there's just no way to start the cycle. End of story! That's pretty good security IMO; but then again, I also suspect that the average thief doesn't know that they may have stolen a bike that cannot ever be started, is thwarted. And, in the long run will this deter thieves, I doubt it. Given my choice I'd go back to keys that can be 'cut' in your Ace Hardware store and take my chances!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Twisted Wrister

Tim, if those are the roads you are riding on let me know I will come and help push.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Tim, this issue is raging on ADVRIDER.COM and I wanted to see if there were any differences among CAN-bus models. Most certainly, your immediate involvement with the failure postures your position clearly, but what I am trying, likely in vain as this is by no means a statistical sampling, to determine if this is as bad a problem as the 'press' it receives. ....
John, the numbers will never support my argument. I know that. The very fact that we still LOVE the S and are still planning trips is in itself an affirmation of our confidence in the bike.

I just wish the darn EWS ring could be removed and used as a paperweight on my desk instead of an item requiring a backup part, internet searching to determine how and what it's function is, and how to do a field "fix".

We're on the same page. The EWS would not deter me from another BMW purchase, nor would I mention it as a problem to a prospective buyer of a BMW.

Besides, we weren't really stranded. Just inconvenienced for 30 minutes. And next time, I'll know what to do.

Call Scot.

p.s. As for theft prevention I think Susan summed it up best two weeks ago in Kentucky when we had to cut our trip short.
"Wouldn't a thief just pull in the clutch and roll it onto a trailer?"
Old 09-04-2007, 09:23 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

Quote.s. As for theft prevention I think Susan summed it up best two weeks ago in Kentucky when we had to cut our trip short.
"Wouldn't a thief just pull in the clutch and roll it onto a trailer?" __________________

My point exactly Tim, until a point in time where the thieves' sheds/garages are filled with bikes that won't start. But then again, necessity mother of invention. We may just have to wait until the thieves figure this immobilizer issue out! Go Susan!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Site Contributor

Couldn't you just read the electrical signals with an oscillascope and make a "electronic key" to plug into the harness?

I'm sure that there are a lot of electrical engineers that could find a simple way to bypass this.

Especially if you HAVE the key already.

Put the key in, start the bike, read the code going back to the computer, construct a small signal generator that sends this same signal.

Only problem is if this signal is modulated or a "rolling code." But even this can be bypassed.

Shit, if you can buy a universal garage door opener for $20, this can be done.

Only problem is no one's interested in doing it.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Couldn't you just read the electrical signals with an oscillascope and make a "electronic key" to plug into the harness?

I'm sure that there are a lot of electrical engineers that could find a simple way to bypass this.

Especially if you HAVE the key already.

Put the key in, start the bike, read the code going back to the computer, construct a small signal generator that sends this same signal.

Only problem is if this signal is modulated or a "rolling code." But even this can be bypassed.

Shit, if you can buy a universal garage door opener for $20, this can be done.

Go fer it chief, I bet you'd have a market here!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Exactly. They make them for cars, if there was enough of a market, someone would produce one for the bikes.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showpost.php?p=102556&postcount=4
Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward
Go fer it chief, I bet you'd have a market here!

I've tried to wrap my brain around it and it's beyond my ability...
Old 09-05-2007, 03:37 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Ah yes. "All you need to do is just...".

Nothing is difficult to those not directly involved!

Unfortunately, reading the encoded RF signal, understanding it, then driving the canbus interface to enable the ignition, is a good deal more complex than just "reading signals with an oscilloscope".

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 09-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Site Contributor

You wouldn't have to read the Rf signal, just the signal on the wire going back to the ECU.

There are RF readers out there, but I agree, they are far too complex. Finding the right frequency, determining whether it's a modified reflected signal or an original signal, how then the receiver processes the signal...

I'm talking about allowing the receiver to process the Rf signal in its usual manner, then intercept and "read" the electrical signal going back to the ecu through the wire. I would be willling to guess that it's a simple code sent to the ecu just prior to start up to unlock power to the starter, ignition and fuel. You would have to record and generate an electrical signal, not Rf, to the wire back to the ecu. This signal generator hopefully would be simplier and (more important) more robust than the fragile RFID receiver.

It's not a UNIVERSAL bypass, but one that would work only on your set of key, RFID receiver and ECU.

Laugh all you want. I think it's a straight forward electrical problem. I just don't have the expertise to do it.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Getting up to speed

I was at my dealership for 12K service last week. Prior to my early August experience on the side of the road, they had not had a single EWS failure nor had they heard of it. In the last few weeks they have replaced several. There was a new GS sitting in the shop with 1100 miles on it; waiting for a new antenna.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,101 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

OK,,,here ya go....272 REPLIES and 7117 VIEWS over on ADV on this topic....

Read your hearts out

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245456

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
OK,,,here ya go....272 REPLIES and 7117 VIEWS over on ADV on this topic....

Read your hearts out

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245456
I read enough to know that Bobby from BMW Atlanta has completed BMW training with flying colors.

Many people are mising the point on the failure. Yes, stuff breaks. But why won't BMW offer the owner the ability to disable the immobilizer, or as Ducati does, provide the owner with a bypass code?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Site Contributor

Because they don't give a rat's ass...
Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm Roll'n They Hate'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Because they don't give a rat's ass...
I think that's being harsh and unkind.......

not harsh enought and not nearly unkind enough to the 's at BMW. JMHO
Old 09-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
I read enough to know that Bobby from BMW Atlanta has completed BMW training with flying colors.

Many people are mising the point on the failure. Yes, stuff breaks. But why won't BMW offer the owner the ability to disable the immobilizer, or as Ducati does, provide the owner with a bypass code?
bypass code would be good! mine died after acting up for a couple of weeks soon after I purchased the bike back in the spring of 05.Lucky I was at home.Days before I was on a trip 600ks away. I live in a condo with an under ground. Bikes get ripped off in greater Vancouver in such places all the time,including my neighbors sweet gsx1000.and another bike within the last two years.I won,t even get into the cars.The gsx was hot wired and the ignition was found on the ground where the bike had been. I say thank you to bmw for the imobiliser. And thanks to gm for putting one in my van. They are making it the law up here in Canada that all cars and trucks must have them. Theres a reason for that.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
When I inquired to BMW about the possibility of bypassing the EWS in an emergency they (BMW) replied that they do not have technically quallified people to answer my questions. They said I should ask my dealer about any technical issues.
Hold on now.... so BMW is saying that dealers are more technically qualified than BMW themselves are??

That is damn scary!

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
Hold on now.... so BMW is saying that dealers are more technically qualified than BMW themselves are??

That is damn scary!
Yep, that's what they said. I'd copy the e-mail here but I'm 400 miles from home right now.

What we need to know, if anyone sees this on any other forum (like AdvRider), is .... what is the time-out limit for a "bad" key EWS event? The reason I believe there is a timer on an event is .... the cars have one; 30 minutes. Why do I believe the bike has it programmed the same way? Look at all the events wherein the bike cranked once towed back home or to the dealer. (and ours, after 45 miutes of trying to figure a way off of our Kentucky backroad. )

But after Deal's Gap last weekend all is forgiven. What a GREAT bike !!!!! We LOVE it.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Getting up to speed

When I first hooked up the GS-911 to my GT it showed an immobilizer fault. I don't have an alarm, never have experienced any starting glitches and the GS-911 hasn't shown the bike throwing that fault again.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yep, that's what they said. I'd copy the e-mail here but I'm 400 miles from home right now.

What we need to know, if anyone sees this on any other forum (like AdvRider), is .... what is the time-out limit for a "bad" key EWS event? The reason I believe there is a timer on an event is .... the cars have one; 30 minutes. Why do I believe the bike has it programmed the same way? Look at all the events wherein the bike cranked once towed back home or to the dealer. (and ours, after 45 miutes of trying to figure a way off of our Kentucky backroad. )

But after Deal's Gap last weekend all is forgiven. What a GREAT bike !!!!! We LOVE it.

I've done this a couple times unhooking the RF transmitter/receiver and trying to start the bike. After reconnecting it still wont start with the key. So...

I was able to reset it by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds and reconnecting it.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm Roll'n They Hate'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
I've done this a couple times unhooking the RF transmitter/receiver and trying to start the bike. After reconnecting it still wont start with the key. So...

I was able to reset it by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds and reconnecting it.
Were you just experimenting or have you had a failure?
Old 10-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Site Contributor

Actually relocating the entire igntion lock above the tank to make room for my headlight modification.

The "test" was done sort of on accident.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:44 PM
El Moderador

Send a message via Skype™ to HDF

jcw, I notice in the picture that your bars are slid out about an inch on each side. Did you do this on purpose or are they like that because you are working on the bike?

If done on purpose, does it give you noticeably more leverage for countersteering? Any difference in feel when compared to the traditional set up?

Thanks

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDF
jcw, I notice in the picture that your bars are slid out about an inch on each side. Did you do this on purpose or are they like that because you are working on the bike?

If done on purpose, does it give you noticeably more leverage for countersteering? Any difference in feel when compared to the traditional set up?

Thanks
They are actually carbon fiber bars. The originals are "located" by a little groove in the metal bar that prevents them from being adjusted out.

I thought the carbon fiber might absorb vibrations better. They do sit farther out a little but couldn't really tell you if it helps. I have changed so much this fall that I honestly don't know if that particular mod helped much or not.

New adjustable shocks, higher suspension plates, lowered front suspension, raised rear suspension, dropped 50+ pounds of weight, relocated the battery lower and more central under the seat, removed the counterbalancers. All to make the bike transition and make direction changes faster.

It(all) has helped a lot over stock but it still takes muscle to transition fast above 80mph. This bike really needs to be coutersteered hard to change directions fast. The wider bars may be helping.

I'm hoping a set of carbon fiber wheels will be the last piece of the puzzle to get me closer to my "goal." Which is that feeling of falling into a turn and snaping it from side to side that the lighter 600's and literbikes seem to possess.

More than you asked for. If you want any details, let me know...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 AM
El Moderador

Send a message via Skype™ to HDF

Great, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,218 Times in 2,124 Posts

Internet myth.................

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
Internet myth.................
Yep, and we have a spare ring.

Details at pre-THC.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,218 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Yep, and we have a spare ring.

Details at pre-THC.

Except for you guys. That was a fluke!

I guess I will have to go to hear the full story. OK!

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:37 AM
RidesLikeAFloridian

No More Pooh-Poohing From Me...

I feel the pain. I came back from Daytona Bch last Saturday and turned the bike off (this was on the '07 R12GS Adv), lighted a cigar, removed my gear and was going to clean bugs off the windscreen prior to parking in garage.

YIKES, tried restarting the bike and EWS error, no can start. Sure glad the ADV holds 9 gals of fuel and I didn't stop for fuel and have to be towed somewhere. Pushed bike into garage, waited a while and tried starting again. IT STARTED NO PROBLEM! Did this a few times over the weekend, and no problem. Am awaiting to hear from dealer to bring it in to replace the antenna ring.

HERE'S THE REAL PROBLEM IMO. It seems, statistically, the antenna ring failures occur at low (relatively) mileages. Once up in miles, the damn thing seems to work. But, I have this now empty feeling that whenever I leave home that there's going to be the possibility of the EWS warning (even after replacement) and it may not start again. Look at the stats on this poll on a repeat failure. I suspect that organ transplant recipients are constantly vigil for even the minutest change in their 'feelings'.

If you want to read about antenna ring failures you can jaunt over to ADVRIDER. There's an 900 reply threadfest, from actual experience to lots of commentary.

BTW, the replacement of a spare ring can be done on a 12GS in the field, with proper tools/prep. NFW on an S, RSport, or GT. I think most dealers are likely stocking them now as a spare part.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM

Re: No More Pooh-Poohing From Me...

Quote:
I... YIKES, tried restarting the bike and EWS error, no can start. ....waited a while and tried starting again. IT STARTED NO PROBLEM!
I suspect, and have unsuccessfully attempted, to confirm with BMW, that the immobilizer circuit has a time-out similar to the cars. Once a "fault" is stored starting is locked out for "x" minutes. I suspect "x" to be approximately 30 minutes, but again, BMW is mum on the issue.

If my other hypothesis is corect, as warm weather approaches the issue will resurface. It was 101º the day ours didn't fail. (Remember, it started after 45 minutes of trying to find a safe tow from central Kentucky.) Too bad "Bobby" at BMW Atlanta spends so much time on AdvRider defending and denying this issue, when a call or two to the right people could actually provide some answers. Too bad also that BMW choses to ignore this when Ducati and even Harley now allow an owner override to the key immobilizer.

Quote:
BTW, the replacement of a spare ring can be done on a 12GS in the field, with proper tools/prep. NFW on an S...
Yes it can. Just unscrew (or snap off if you're really stranded) the plastic key cover and unplug the failed ring, plug in the spare, and hold it next to the key. Vroom. Once cranked the "spare" ring can be unplugged and restowed. It's only purpose is to allow starter activation.

BTW, using the "spare" key doesn't do squat at time of failure, but I suspect this to be due to the unknown time-out lock.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
RidesLikeAFloridian

The restart was less than 10 minutes Tim. The impact to me was more psychological than physical in that it will linger in my mind like an organ transplant. Even after a new one is installed. One of the inmates on ADVRIDER got the old ECU out of my K12R and has been working on something (not sure if what he's working on is even more complex). I wish the hell BMW used the same [optional] security system that was on my LT. I just disabled the damn thing and didn't bother with it. Sadly, there's no way to disable this thing, but then again, you are more painfully aware of this than I am. I was in my driveway at least.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Entering the on-ramp

there is a lot of info here.....some correct....some not

I just jot the EWS error on my R1200R an boy was I pissed off......stranded on the side of the street....in a really bad neighborhood on a brand new BMW with 1090 miles on it. I must have looked like a complete idiot to those dudes on the corner selling whatever they were selling to passing cars.....I was just hoping they dodn't try to sell to me:-)

So....towed to the dealer....and the wait for the antenna part is a week and a half. I just wanted to set a few things straight here:

1. ring antenna should not and CANNOT be programmed.....it's a passive coil of wire
2. if the antenna does not work.....the spare key will not help you
3. the wire in the antenna connector to the computer may be broken but still makes some contact sometimes....that's where you are getting the intermittent problems.....so it's better to replace it then be sorry one day.

and on the final note.....I cannot beleive how ignorant BMW is to this problem....I have searched google on this issue and there are 1000's of complaints regarding this.....not limited to one model but to numerous BMW models.....droping more then 16K on the bike that lock's you out is unacceptable......
Old 04-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalmero
BTW, the replacement of a spare ring can be done on a 12GS in the field, with proper tools/prep. NFW on an S...

Yes it can. Just unscrew (or snap off if you're really stranded) the plastic key cover and unplug the failed ring, plug in the spare, and hold it next to the key. Vroom. Once cranked the "spare" ring can be unplugged and restowed. It's only purpose is to allow starter activation.

BTW, using the "spare" key doesn't do squat at time of failure, but I suspect this to be due to the unknown time-out lock.
Tim,

It's great to know that this can be fixed in the field if required, but reading this made me wonder about something else.

You stated, "It's only purpose is to allow starter activation."

Does this imply that it WOULD be possible to bump start the bike in such and instance? Now I realize with the engine being both large and high compression this would not be fun, but certainly better then being stranded.

Mind you I don't even own an S, but I'm curious about this, however it seems to obvious to have been overlooked by all the have experienced the issue.

I once had a 600cc bike in college with a bad stator... ended up bump starting that damn thing pretty much EVERY ride.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
.......You stated, "It's only purpose is to allow starter activation."

Does this imply that it WOULD be possible to bump start the bike in such and instance? .......
Actually it kills the wake-up call to the ECU. The starter is dead, the ignition is dead, and the bike positively can NOT be bump started. At 101º stuck on the side of the road we did try that. Hey, the 4-way flashers still worked.

And BMW still won't say if there is a "time-out" upon failure. I still say there is, so if it happens wait 30 minutes before calling the tow truck.

I'm still betting on my heat theory as well. BMW is on their 3rd ring design without a word as to a problem existing. But that's typical of BMW. Vat problem?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Getting up to speed

************************************************************************! Happened to me today. 2007 K1200S. Fortunately at work in my parking space. Got a lift home and returned with the crappy spare key several hours later. No go with either key after a few hours. This is total bullshit.

The only good thing is that my dealer (Destination Motorcycles) has been very generous in bumping me up for service. Bad news is that I won't be able to ride AT ALL this weekend.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGBSM
.... Bad news is that I won't be able to ride AT ALL this weekend.
It's amazing that a dealer wouldn't have at least one ring in stock. But then, maybe it isn't amazing ......

Betcha it will crank today. Have them try it.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Dirty Hooligan
Thanked 1,203 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
It's amazing that a dealer wouldn't have at least one ring in stock. But then, maybe it isn't amazing ......

Betcha it will crank today. Have them try it.
My dealers a GS rider, he drilled out the tamper proof screws and carries a spare with him
06 KGT SOLD
01 KRS SOLD
99 KLT SOLD
2 Harley's moved on
3 Honda's moved on
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billg
My dealers a GS rider, he drilled out the tamper proof screws and carries a spare with him
Don't they have to reprogram the computer to recognize it?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Dirty Hooligan
Thanked 1,203 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff
Don't they have to reprogram the computer to recognize it?
In a word..... NO.
06 KGT SOLD
01 KRS SOLD
99 KLT SOLD
2 Harley's moved on
3 Honda's moved on
Old 04-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billg
In a word..... NO.
Thats good news maybe we can get a group buy rate for them. Let's say 500 units to start with.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Getting up to speed

Well, I guess the odds finally caught up with me. I've been reading on this site and others about the 'immobilizer issue' and wondered how real it was because in the past six years I've had two canbus GS's and two GT2's with never a problem. Traded the GT on an '08 S, took it in for it's 600 mile service and couldn't wait to get it home to get that torpedo off the exhaust pipe. Thankfully it happened to me while I was at home and not up in the mountains where there is frequently no cell connection. With only 824 miles on the bike the EWS had me locked out.
BMW Atlanta couldn't have done a better job of getting me up and running again though. It happened on Tuesday evening and by Friday afternoon I had it back, fixed.
Oh, it was suggested that I keep a spare antenna ring on hand because there was no guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. Which brings up a question, has anyone had a repeat of that problem after a replacement?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Site Contributor

HDstraferWell, I guess the odds finally caught up with me. I've been reading on this site and others about the 'immobilizer issue' and wondered how real it was because in the past six years I've had two canbus GS's and two GT2's with never a problem. Traded the GT on an '08 S, took it in for it's 600 mile service and couldn't wait to get it home to get that torpedo off the exhaust pipe. Thankfully it happened to me while I was at home and not up in the mountains where there is frequently no cell connection. With only 824 miles on the bike the EWS had me locked out.
BMW Atlanta couldn't have done a better job of getting me up and running again though. It happened on Tuesday evening and by Friday afternoon I had it back, fixed.
Oh, it was suggested that I keep a spare antenna ring on hand because there was no guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. Which brings up a question, has anyone had a repeat of that problem after a replacement?

How about a three-peat. Just read this on the AdvRider site today. They're running about 84 pages so far on antenna ring failures

Jim

Today, 08:55 AM #1234 IND GS vbmenu_register("postmenu_6867972", true);
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12

Third EWS Failure !!
Ok, I dont know what the record is but I've been hit with the EWS THREE times !! lucky for me it happened at home before a weekend ride. Since I have done the work before, I could swap in the new EWS ring under 1/2 hour. So now I have 3 worthless EWS rings including the original once that came with the bike. (Can you believe I have 4 spares !! bought 2 from Singapore and 2 from Chicago BMW in the US). So far the failed ones were the parts out of Singapore and now am using the one from the US.

My mechanic is trying to work around the EWS. Hopefully he will come up with a solution soon or I will probably need to stock up again on antenna's. I love this bike to death but this is gettting to be a bit too much. I have a 07 GS with about 1K miles on it.
Blame John™
Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Mine was replaced today at the first service as part of a BMW campaign
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Getting up to speed

I just bought my K1200S a couple weeks ago now. Only 400 miles on it so far. I've had the EWS! problem at least a dozen times already. Seems to happen most when the bike is already warmed up, like when at the gas station or when I swing by my wife's office to show off my new bike, which then doesn't start up.

Last night I was trying to see if my cell phone could be the problem. I have a GSM phone and when it's communicating with the towers, it can oftern be heard in the speakers in my truck. So, I was doing a download on the phone and holding it near the key hole. It seemed pretty reliable that when I did this and turned the key on, I would get EWS!. When I turned the phone off, I didn't get EWS! for the few dozen times I turned the key on. turned the phone back on, and got EWS! again. Makes me think the system just has bad SNR and is easily subject to interference. Maybe I should mount a little faraday cage over the key hole
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

Hi, I was looking at the immobilizer holding bracket and found that the two screws holding it (covering the connector plug and unit) are #10 TORX. One of the posts above said there were two security screws. Definate security if you do not have the correct Torx! I have yet to remove the ring as I am waiting for a new one from Chicago so I can eyeball it and see how things come apart. I figure I will tuck one under the seat with a wrench, (if that is all that is needed to change or gain enough access) thus have a device at hand to use or share. My bike has the ...207 model. The bike is an '08 issue ten numbers before the change to the new air box. Built the second week of October '07. Most of you have probably found out by now that new production of '08s stopped a couple of weeks ago and you have to wait for an '09 or buy one in stock at a dealer or BMWNA. I tried to order an '08 with no ABS and could not as they were not making any more '08 models. Things must be hopping at the fatherland factory. K1200S we are talking here.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Site Contributor

I originally voted that I had experienced no antenna ring issues. My vote was premature. I had an EWS failure in early May 2008 at ~4700 miles that required the bike to make a flatbed trip to the dealer for antenna ring replacement.

Rusty
Old 06-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Changing the immobilizer antenna ring is described in the trusty BMW Shop Manual. Remove clutch and brake levers (2 screw each) and secure in upright position. Remove handlebar bridge, and flip it upside down. This is what you see (see thumbnail - if it worked). I got under my bike and shined my flashlight upwards toward the ignition switch, and I did see the screws that you have to drill out. Hope the attachment works.

Seeya
ATB
Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

That is an interesting photo of the bottom of the unit. The security screws look difficult to match. A tool with six little wedges. Anyway, units coming from Chicago BMW and mine died. Ridewest coming to get the bike. Maybe I should not have ordered spares! As someone mentioned, it would be good if there were an over ride code such as holding a turn signal button in while starting etc. Maybe this could be just a software change? Seems extensive when all the bikes have this system now. My Vespa has this same system, but it does not fail. beech
Old 07-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My RT died this last week. I missed a beautiful weekend of riding. I was loading the bike on Wednesday night for Thursday morning departure. I turned on the ignition just to drive it back into the garage; DEAD!
An 18,000 dollar Biarritz Blue boat anchor……
My bike has 5000 miles.
My dealer is picking up my bike tomorrow morning. I am happy with their response.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwark
My RT died this last week. .

Are you saying EWS or other?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Are you saying EWS or other?
Doug, you haven't been paying attention.

EWS = Engine Won't Start.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Doug, you haven't been paying attention.

EWS = Engine Won't Start.

So I guess you're saying that if your bike won't start it's always as a result of the EWS??

He just said his bike wouldn't start...

Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to djimmy Send a message via Yahoo to djimmy

I took my 07 K1200GT in for the 12,000 mile service last week. When I picked it up, the dealer informed me there is a recall, just out, on this issue and they fixed it. It was news to me.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by djimmy
I took my 07 K1200GT in for the 12,000 mile service last week. When I picked it up, the dealer informed me there is a recall, just out, on this issue and they fixed it. It was news to me.

It wouldn't be if you were reading all the posts here on the subject...for months now!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to djimmy Send a message via Yahoo to djimmy

I am sorry if I don't spend every waking hour on i-BMW. I have a life, Doug. What a jerk. Why don't you go buy a f____ing Harley.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
It wouldn't be if you ....
Dang Doug,
And I thought I was having a bad day.

BTW, you already have a head start. And as mentioned prior, Harley gives every owner an EWS bypass code.