I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Have you ever hit a deer?
Poll Options
Have you ever hit a deer?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Site Contributor

Have you ever hit a deer?

A friend of mine I met down in Nicaragua was supposed to be on a cross country trip through the States and up here buy the end of the month. Unfortunately I found out through an email that while riding through Colorado at 70 mph. He bingoed a deer. Totaled the bike and broke his collar bone but other wise alright. The good news was his BMW gs was in for repairs so he had borrowed a friends V Storm for the trip. Today I'm Taking the water taxi out to work on the company ship. Ray the Taxi guy was telling me that his brother hit a deer on the weekend and was in rough shape Broken arm and a punched lung etc. I have had a bear in front of me as well as a moose but never unlucky enough to hit one. I'm just wondering how many of you have actually hit a deer?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

Re: Have you ever hit a deer?

I voted yes, but it was in my 1993 Land Cruiser.

I think both Island Tony and Tallahassee Pete were with me at the time.

Never on a bike - yet!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,029 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of "yes" and "almost" votes are from Texans... I've never seen so many freakin' deer... not to mention javelinas, armadillos, and assorted other critters...
Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Hi All,

Never hit a deer or a dog, but came too darn close to hitting a large snapping turtle. Thought it was a rock that had fallen off a truck or something till it got up and walked across the road. I was leaned over in a curve at the time. Can't imagine what the end result would have been, but i don't think it would have been pleasant.

Regards,
George
Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 PM
De kessé ???
Thanked 6,337 Times in 1,702 Posts

Just last week , when i was heading for Kentucky !

I'd just left my motel , about 7h45 am , it was so foggy i had to wipe my helmet shield every 30 seconds or so (visibility was close to nil...), was following a car at about 40mph when it started running in front of me . It was about 3 feet in front of my front wheel . It happened so fast i didnt even put the brakes !!!
I didnt try to pass that car after that , till the fog cleared , of course !

Martin
Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D

I'd just left my motel , about 7h45 am , it was so foggy i had to wipe my helmet shield every 30 seconds or so (visibility was close to nil...), was following a car at about 40mph when it started running in front of me . It was about 3 feet in front of my front wheel . It happened so fast i didnt even put the brakes !!!

Martin

If you had hit that soft deer you would not have hit that hard tree.

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff
..... I'm just wondering how many of you have actually hit a deer?
never hit a deer, but awfully close to critters at times.

Had a cow charge me late one night. Silly thing was right in the middle of the road. It's just a rabbit, I mean cow, so I rode around it. Silly thing charged me! Close, but horsepower exceeds cow power.

Saw a full grown wild boar crossing the road 50 feet in front of me on Deal's Gap back in the late 80's. So early in the morning it was still dark. It looked like a 55 gallon drum with hair. And tusk.

Hit an owl on the Cherohala a couple of years ago. Actually it sort of hit us. We think it was OK afterwards, but if so I bet it looks over it's shoulder occasionally now.

We met a deer at a full run (the deer) while leaving Big Bend in 2007. She's flat out on an intercept course to us. We're doing 90 mph on the S. We could have reached over and touched her nose! Neither Susan nor I have any idea how she missed us. I guess our angel was already awake that morning. 90 mph would not have been good for any of us.

Oh, and a bug or two.....
Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Shooting the gap

A few weeks ago while riding the Blue Ridge Parkway just south of the Virginia state line I was cruising along at about 70, in full lean into a nice right hander. As I entered the turn I saw two deer on the left side of the road. My approach startled them and one ran into the road heading straight into my path. It got close enough that I could see its eyes before it somehow managed to jump over the back of my bike. A very close call. A buddy riding behind me couldn't believe the deer was able to avoid slamming right into my bike. It would have been disasterous.

John O
Old 08-21-2008, 01:11 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Not with the bike. Killed one with my car (very sad day for me), didn't hurt the car at all. Hit one in my neighborhood at about 15 mph, and bounced her off my hood.... she was never found...

More close calls on my bikes than the total number of years I've lived! Yes, they are ALL over the roads here in Texas!! Simply part of riding around here.... doesn't keep me off the streets at night though...

Have hit and killed small birds and a vulture glanced off my helmet recently.

Oh.. forgot.. while on my long trip, heading down a mt. with a bit of traffic into a town, I was about to pass a pickup truck ... then I saw a puff of dust and the truck pulled off the road. Slowed VERY quickly to see the dead deer. If I HAD passed the truck, I would have most certainly hit that deer instead of the truck taking it out.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

no deer , yet, but one rabbit that got stuck in the front wheel and endoed me, a javelina, couple dogs.Ohh, one deer on a bike, but the deer was hit by the truck ahead of me, didnt see it untill it was right in front of me laying on its side.I did a tankslapper, changed lanes several times and kept going, I swear I heard bones break as I went over it.So it was already dead when I hit it, does it still count?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Postmeister

oh,, and one bat, full in the face before I started wearing full face helmets
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 AM
El Moderador

Send a message via Skype™ to HDF

I nailed a black squirrel in the Dolomites last week and a rattlesnake in Texas back in the 80's (Kneedrager, another of the many road protrusions to be found in Texas).

The rattlesnake was a big mother and my only fear when I went over it was that it would have time to react and take a shot a striking my leg. Not likely, but I hate snakes and have a vivid imagination.

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Site Contributor

After hitting and killing a fox I don't even want to think about anything bigger. I hope Bambi and parents stay in the woods where they belong. Herb
Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Hell YES a Site Contributor!

Send a message via Skype™ to BMWBuddha

I got back into riding in the early nineties with a Ducati 907ie. In 1999 I T-boned a deer that jumped out in front of me. I was going around a gentle curve at 45 mph and looking in the other direction. I went over the handlebars and the deer....thank goodness for ATGATT. Other than impact bruises I was OK but the deer was eventually shot by a local cop. The Duc was totaled so it was then that I discovered BMWs....my '98 K-RS. The rest is history. I try now NOT to ride in the late afternoon when the animals are out seeking water in my neighborhood.
Pete
Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Never a deer but a ground hog... Was cruising along the Delaware River and enjoying a series of long, drawn out whoops in the rode when I got to the top of one and our eyes met! Couldn't do a thing but hold on tight and get up on the pegs.. Hit him square and saw him fly up in the air in my rear view mirror and my friend behind me swerve to avoid the air borne missile. I was lucky I ran over his head as if I had hit him square in the body I think I would have gone down...
Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Site Contributor

That will happen to me one of these...
So many close encounters, when in Nova Scotia last week, my wife could have touched the deer, and I could hear it screetchhhhhh the pavement to dodge me.
Almost hit a bear on the Skyline when going to BRHR last spring, when coming back, a deer passed right between Charles' bike and mine. Charles(from Québec City) never saw it.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Postmeister

Riding two up one night,65 mph on a curve, A black bear jumped in front of me.Missed him by inches, had to straighten up to miss him and to brake,which put me into oncoming traffic, hard lean to the right to get out of the way and then set up all wrong for the next lefthander. Farted seat foam for a week.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Shooting the gap

We were north of San Francisco, at night, headed for Point Reyes National Seashore, riding in a pea-soup fog, not going very fast, more worried about being hit from the rear by some fool than what might have been hidden in the mist.

Suddenly, there was a whole herd of deer standing on the road. I stopped about six inches from a doe. She turned her head and looked me in the eye, seemed to yawn, and ambled off the road.

Shortly ahead was a parking lot where my friend and I left the bike, walked past the "No Camping" sign to the beach, crawled into our zip-together sleeping bags and called it a night.

Al
Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Ride fast...ride safe !

Send a message via AIM to ronherbert

No deer for me either ( the ex nailed one once with family minivan ), but I did vaporize a canine once with my 325i coupe back in the '80's. I was coming back from a weekend in Panama Beach and just outside of Dothan, Al. on a two lane. Came over a rise at 60mph and it was just crossing the road. I didn't even have time to blink and a look in the rearview mirror told me all I needed to know. It was a pretty good sized animal and pushed the radiator back into the fan blades and eliminated the entire front fascia/fog lights/splashguard, etc. About $3200. in damages, but was still drivable clear back to Atlanta. As for my motorcycling endeavours, only a small bird in the chest at 30mph in my teens. That'll get your attention ! Lots of deers here in the midwest, though. Probably the main reason I prefer not to ride in the early a.m. or after dusk if I don't have to during certain seasons.

Ride fast...ride safe !

Ron
BMWMOA 140801
Still crazy after all these years....
Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Shooting the gap

Send a message via AIM to gixxerw

Nailed a couple deer with my trucks never on a bike. Cats, a small dog he bit onto my front tire i had slowed down because i saw him come out to chase a car, squirrels, chipmunks on the stree bike. Now dirt i have hit turkeys in the trail around a blind corner, a woodchuck actually landed on him he was in the valley of a small jump, a turkey vulture nailed me in the side while taking off, and i have had deer running in the trail in front of me across the trail every direction.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Twisted Wrister

Yes, but in my '82 Jetta. The cursed animal must have been eating not too long before, because the inside of the engine compartment had all kinds of green stuff splattered around inside, almost looked like pureed grass clippings. Must've torn open its breadbasket or something.

No, but I do like the taste of Spam....
Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
all right,then,i'll go to hell

No ....

the worst is when a deer hits you

very hard to maintain control

bimota KB2TT laser
harley XR1000
buell SW-1 white lightning
Ducati 888 "SPO"
Ducati 996 "SPS"
Z1R-1000

BMW K1200RS "ORCA"

FJR 1300A
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Curvist

Squirrels, dogs, snakes, an armadildo, and sundry birds, even a great blue heron, on the bike, but not a deer, though have had close encounters.

Voted yes cos I did hit a deer in a '73 Riviera boattail at about 80mph. Quite the eye opener at 3:00am, and quite a bill for repair. A lesser car would have been totalled.

Wouldn't like to hit one on a bike. Best one could hope for would be a long hospital stay.

I've seen video of a guy hitting one on a bike, and about 10 years ago, there was a posting to a forum (urban legend?) 'bout a guy that split a deer in half on a beemer. Was even supported by pictures of the aftermath, of the bike and of the deer.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
A friend of mine I met down in Nicaragua was supposed to be on a cross country trip through the States and up here buy the end of the month. Unfortunately I found out through an email that while riding through Colorado at 70 mph. He bingoed a deer. Totaled the bike and broke his collar bone but other wise alright. The good news was his BMW gs was in for repairs so he had borrowed a friends V Storm for the trip. Today I'm Taking the water taxi out to work on the company ship. Ray the Taxi guy was telling me that his brother hit a deer on the weekend and was in rough shape Broken arm and a punched lung etc. I have had a bear in front of me as well as a moose but never unlucky enough to hit one. I'm just wondering how many of you have actually hit a deer?

1965 on my G80CS Matchless at 2 am going home from my garage a deer hit me in the side and drove the bike out from under me. I bled like a pig from the hand that got caught between the handlebar and the road. broke the outside bone on my hand and was heavily bruised all over. It screwed up my riding for years. I had never thought about hitting an animal. since then I have hit 2 deer in the rear legs at different times while they were running across in front of me at full run. I had one jump down from a high bank so close in front of me while going about 70 that you couldn't pull a piece of paper between us. One ran under the rear wheel of my Shiroco a few years ago, I never saw him until the car jumped up in the air and I saw him in the mirror break dancing in the street. the guy behind me saw him run full speed out of the woods, the deer tried to stop but slid under the car. he died. Many more including a medium size dog while I was test riding a friends Honda cbr900, footpeg tore his guts out and it threw him about 100 feet, I hardly felt it. all of the above except for the first deer was in broad daylight, middle of the day.
Animals scare me more that any other thing because they can come from anywhere.

be careful it's a jungle out there
H
Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Likes "S" bikes

I was south bound on the blue ridge parkway just after dark. There were many deer on the road and I was running maybe 25 MPH. I passed a buck that was standing on the left shoulder of the road. Just as I got by him, he started to run parallel with me and then made a right turn across my path. My front tire hit his back hoof. It was enough to make the front end shake but not enough to cause a crash. I had to pull over for a few minutes so my heart could slow down. My lesson was that you can NEVER predict what a wild animal will do.

'14 R1200GSW
'10 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike)
'92 K75S (20+ years of 3 cylinder love)
'95 K75RT

Crashed:
'09 Triumph Daytona 675

Sold but not forgotten:
'08 K1200S tricolor
'99 R11S
'02 K12RS
Old 08-21-2008, 11:08 PM
trailerguy

Hit one by Sierraville, Ca. 3:00 in the afternoon. Ran across the road and then turned around and slapped my front wheel and took me down. One huge bruise and a sprained finger but nothing broke. Totalled a perfectly good K1100 LT.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Odds are 50/50

No, but if I saw one now I'd sure as hell punch it!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy
Hit one by Sierraville, Ca. 3:00 in the afternoon. Ran across the road and then turned around and slapped my front wheel and took me down. One huge bruise and a sprained finger but nothing broke. Totalled a perfectly good K1100 LT.
Hmmm... I'll have to keep that in mind. I love that area, have ridden through there several times and I'm anxious to return...
Old 08-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemish_Boy

... about 10 years ago, there was a posting to a forum (urban legend?) 'bout a guy that split a deer in half on a beemer. Was even supported by pictures of the aftermath, of the bike and of the deer.

I've written before about my late business partner, Suze Mann. Suze brought this story home years ago from the BMW shop in Austin. According to what she was told:

The bike was an R100RS being ridden by a man with a woman passenger. It happened in the Hill Country not far from Austin. The deer was split in half but both riders, soaked with deer blood, were not seriously injured. The driver was able to stop the bike beside the road without falling. I don't recall whether Suze said the bike was repairable or not. The deer wasn't.

Al
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Shooting the gap

"Round about 1968 I was living on a ranch south of Gallup, New Mexico. There was a trading post nearby run by a fellow and his wife. The area was designated "open range" where livestock owned by Native Americans roamed. "Open range," means that livestock have the right-of-way. If you hit one, you just bought it. The story goes:

A New York Yankee (not a ball player) was driving along in his new Cadillac when a horse crossed the road in front of him. He almost got stopped, but hit the horse just hard enough to flip him up on to the hood of the car. At this point there was no damage done to either horse or car. The horse, however, scrambled to his hooves atop the hood, destroying it. He then climbed up on to the roof of the car, kicking out the windshield and caving in the roof, stampeded across, kicked out the rear window, caved in the trunk and continued running until he was out of sight.

The car ran just fine so the tourist drove into the Trading Post's parking lot. He was quite livid and insisted that the trader help him find the horse's owner who should pay for the damage to his car. The trader explained "open range" to the Yankee, ending the story.

Al
Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Beemer or Bimmer

I have hit three. One in Acura TL, one in a VW Passat, and one in Mini Cooper. Always got them fixed and then traded them in. Acura and the VW killed both and the Mini hit it from the side while doing evasive action. LOL! Never on a bike but came close. Damn critters are everywhere here.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propel
I have hit three. One in Acura TL, one in a VW Passat, and one in Mini Cooper. Always got them fixed and then traded them in.
What's the trade-in value of a wrecked and repaired deer?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Beemer or Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
What's the trade-in value of a wrecked and repaired deer?

When I hit the 13 point buck with the Acura he flew like Dancer and landed on the opposite road on the shoulder. The darn thing looked like it was sleeping. No blood. The LEO said are you going to take him? I said no and he asked if he could have him? Sure. While I waited for my car to be towed he had a flatbed truck take it away. All my friends gave me grief for not calling them. Only $8k damage to the car. When it was repaired I drove it to Chicago to trade in for a Checkmate Mini.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by propel
The darn thing looked like it was sleeping. No blood.

Another almost-on-topic memory has been jogged. I apologize in advance and almost promise it to be the last...

While in college, I came to know a fellow from Lubbock, Texas, named "Doug." Doug was fond of telling the following story in the cadet day room of the AFROTC building:

Doug and his father were poaching deer at night somewhere in West Texas. They were using a spotlight beamed out into the prairie. Transfixed, the deer would stare into the bright light while they shot it in the eye with a .22 rifle. (Yes, this is VERY illegal.)

They threw their prey into the back of their pickup truck and covered it with a canvas. Doug stayed in the bed, under the tarp to keep it in place over him and the deer and Doug's dad drove home, a route that took them through downtown Lubbock.

You guessed it! During a stop at a traffic light, the deer woke up. Doug's guess was that the shot had not penetrated the eye but hit the deer's head, knocking him out cold for a while. Doug tried to hold him down. A mighty struggle took place between man and beastl but was quickly won by the deer. After inflicting considerable pain on Doug, the deer leaped out of the truck and headed up the street, afterburners aflame. The light changed and Doug's father drove on home. Assuming someone among the many citizens on the street had been quick witted enough to jot down their license plate number, they spent several days in anticipation of an unwanted visit by the authorities. It never came.

Doug claimed to never have gone poaching again.

Al
Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Interesting timing with this post as I had a close call last night. I was coming home from my 7 day trip which started with two days at Roebling Road, cruising the BRP at triple digits as it was vacant when a deer wanders onto the road Thankfully it thought better of the situation and moved before we both were done in.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D

Martin

damn.....i was right behind u and didnt see it,
15 ktm 350 xcw-f six days
16 Yamaha mule
Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Breaking Wind

No..............but I bet Just Joe has

Bikes that I have loved before:
Maico,Ossa,Husky,Triumph,Norton,Moto Guzzi,BMW2005 K1200S
Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Curvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPARKER1817
No..............but I bet Just Joe has

Old 08-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Old, Bald, Crabby, & Fast

Wacked a small one with my R1100S 5 years ago on an off-ramp from the interstate in WI. Knocked the rat-on-stilts down, ran over he/she/it and kept going. Continued home, changed my Depends, and washed all the fur off the bike. Impact relocated the fairing subframe~1 inch left. Bent it back; thanked the Almighty, and resolved to severely limit my night riding in the future. I'm not a hunter (too lazy to work that hard for meat) but I wish seasons were extended. We're not encroaching on habitat -- these vermin can live anywhere!

If you are not deadcritterguttingoutimpairedinyourfreetime as I am and you don't like venison, let me know. Dead Bambi is pretty tasty!

The crisis continues........
Old 08-23-2008, 05:30 AM
De kessé ???
Thanked 6,337 Times in 1,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorganjr
damn.....i was right behind u and didnt see it,

No Bill , not on the friday morning heading for those closed restaurants !

It was two days before , near New Martinsville PA .

Martin
Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Entering the on-ramp

No, but a few years ago I was following a friend northbound on NF-25 just east of Mt St Helens near the Windy Ridge Rd when a deer came down the hill on our left and stopped in the ditch next to the road. My partner Larry slowed down to about 25 mph as he approached deer. Just as he was passing the deer it bolted and T-boned Larry and it bounced back into the ditch. Larry kept riding and I stopped next to the animal to see it twitching and bleeding from the nose and I remember thinking "Larry what the hell is wrong with you? Don't you know you just smacked a deer?" That thought immediately vanished when I looked up to see Larry lying on his side in the middle of the road.

The collision had snapped his Tibia & Fibula in two so he was not going anywhere on his bike or on the back of mine. Two cars passed us with Larry lying on the side of the road but refused to stop as we were trying to assess the situation we were in w/no cell phone coverage and about 45 miles on very winding roads to the nearest medical help. A couple on a HD stopped and said they would continue southbound and call for help at the first phone they could find. Another guy who was camping & fishing in the area stopped and volunteered to stay with him while I rode northbound in search of cell phone coverage or a land line phone with nightfall approaching.

I chose to ride west on the Windy Ridge road 18 miles towards Mt St Helens but away from civilization instead of 25 miles to the town of Randle because I knew there were two solar powered emergency phones near the Mt St Helens National Monument. Murphy's Law took effect and both phones were inop. I then tried my cell phone and was able get a faint signal to call 911.

I gave the operator our riding mileage South of the town of Randle to the Bambi Slaying location but since I couldn't giver her a milepost location she then tried to tell me I might not be in her County of jurisdiction and told me to call another number. I had to be assertive and tell her that time was of the essence and my cell phone was about to die. She reluctantly agreed to "try" to help.

When I returned to the accident site I could not tell Larry with 100% assurance that help was on the way. Talk about feeling helpless. An ambulance did arrive about 30 minutes later and he was transported to the Morton hospital.

In the end Larry healed and we all lived happily ever after.

In my opinion this wouldn't have happened if Larry wasn't riding a HondaDavidson with loud pipes. It is my theory that the loud exhaust note sounded like gunfire and spooked the deer into him and his bike.

Larry now rides a quiet '04 K1200GT and no longer scares the animals of the forest. BTW the deer got up and left sometime during the ordeal.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILHEAD
That will happen to me one of these...
So many close encounters, when in Nova Scotia last week, my wife could have touched the deer, and I could hear it screetchhhhhh the pavement to dodge me.
Almost hit a bear on the Skyline when going to BRHR last spring, when coming back, a deer passed right between Charles' bike and mine. Charles(from Québec City) never saw it.
That's right we were in WV returning from Snowshoe on route 60 and 28. We had at least half a dozen occurrences that sunday morning between 5h50 and 7h00. That was no time and place to speed.
Charles
Old 08-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

I was going to hit no but I have hit a deer and an Elk before in a car... actually hit a couple of deer, it is not unusual after 20 years living in Wyoming.

On the way home from the MOA this year, I hit a rabbit on the bike (with the bike actually, the rabbit was on the ground). I had always wondered what it would do. I do not think the front wheel hit at all (I am sure but not having seen it all I know is I did not feel it in the front), but the back wheel hopped up and to the side just a touch. It was rather uneventful even though I was going 85. It was nearing night at the time and I was trying to put as many miles behind as I could while I could see and try to get on the interstate where I would see more and reduce the risk of hitting a deer.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 PM

I'm surprised we haven't heard from justjoe about hitting a deer... you'd hit it, wouldn't you, Joe??
Old 08-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
I'm surprised we haven't heard from justjoe about hitting a deer... you'd hit it, wouldn't you, Joe??
Funny, I haven't hit any stump broke deer around here..... Biggest thing I've collided with on my bike was a bat a couple of weeks ago. Got'im with the top of the windshield, then he ricocheted off my helmet.....
Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Exclamation Re: Have you ever hit a deer?

1999..... I split 3 deer on 337, outside of Medina, TX. Could of touched them, it was so close.

Buzzards, love me ........ I have nailed or should I say, they have nailed me, about 7-8 times. Once with DLY, Cabnfvr-Pillion and a few more folks. The buzzard gave his life so I could feel better ....... I think of him often, when I
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Site Contributor

Spring 07, route 89 in Utah. My buddy hit the deer at 65, deer dead, buddy fine. 07 RT dead.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Site Contributor

Pictures too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Still Smokin.JPG (238.4 KB, 180 views)
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Site Contributor

More..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Culprit.JPG (72.8 KB, 122 views)
Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hit a sheep at about 85 mph near 4 corners, AZ. '02 1150GS fully loaded. Lesson learned... don't watch the flock at the side of the road, keep attention focused on what's in front.

Had no time to change path (probably a good thing), just went straight through the poor little critter (about 40 lbs I'd guess). Kinda like hitting a shit balloon. Just saw a brown spray pattern, significant torque transfer through the handle bars, nothing left of the sheep. Never went down, was able to chase Japanese liter bikes in Colorado at 100+ the following day. Finally had to change the ball joint in the Telelever assy.

Don't try this with a deer!
My riding buddy had a great time observing this event.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Getting up to speed

I had one jump straight up in the air along the side of the road as I rode my. I about crapped my pants.... other then that... no close calls.

2005 K1200s Blue/ White, ESA, ABS, heated grips

The road goes ever on. ~ Tolkien

"With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity."
- Keshavan Nair

Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Never on a bike.
Should I say yet? Hope not...

Hit one in 2006 with the Phaeton. Took one bouce coming from the left outta nowhere and as it landed there went the fan. $10,000 worth.
Didn't look like much but them's are expensive parts.
Worst... my Dad, it was his car, had a deductable of a grand . Figured that nothing would happen to him at age 82...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6421b.JPG (22.5 KB, 60 views)

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 08-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Postmeister

I hit a deer one night at the local bar.We were playing pool when the deer in his drunken stupor said something rude about the girl I was with.Something about the size of his rack and my last rub I made.So I hit the bastard.Both of us ended up in jail and some dam elk went home with my girl.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Vermonter in Exile

Send a message via Yahoo to halo99 Send a message via Skype™ to halo99

A variation on a theme... This guy gets hit by a deer...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6088717495797971585&ei=rmTJSNH4OoywrAK77tXPA g&q=man+kicked+by+deer&vt=lf&hl=en

2016 S1000XR

MSF: BRC, ERC, SBRC
BMWMOA: 119931
BMWRA: 30927
IBA: 24232

Others:
2012 R1200GS Adventure
2007 BMW G650 Xmoto (KIA)
2003 K1200RS Zebra (sold to pilott)
2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa
2003 Yamaha FZS1000 FZ1
2000 HD XL1200C Sportster Custom
1999 Honda VT750 Shadow ACE
1986 Honda CB450 Nighthawk (KIA)
Old 09-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo99
He should of kicked Prancer in the nuts when he had the chance! Those hoof's gotta hurt!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
Both of us ended up in jail and some dam elk went home with my girl.

What happened then ?

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
What happened then ?
I spent the weekend in jail with some purse carrying antelope named Bubba that kept making mating calls in my direction,A very ugly weekend all the way around.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Getting up to speed

Birds go "whack!", ducks go "thump!" woodchucks make a sound like a dogs squeekie toy, raccoons growl a little, wild turkeys usually make no sound at all, but deer make ME scream. At no time did I ever try to hit anything, but these things happen. I actually kicked a deer while riding my R60/5. I heard the clatter of little hooves next to me (which made my hair stand on end) and looked in time to see this doe running along right next to me, so I gave her the boot! She ran away from me then, but for that second before I gave her a thump, i was sure that she was going to try to jump over me.
Rural areas have their own special hidden dangers. By the way, I answered yes. I've had several deer hit me and I have hit 2. But on any given night I can count upwards of 100 deer on my commute home.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
I spent the weekend in jail with some purse carrying antelope named Bubba that kept making mating calls in my direction,A very ugly weekend all the way around.

Ride West 2008
Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Furman

Twice on a snowmobile at about 2 am no damage just hit him with the front skis an knocked him down. Almost a few time with the K thats when I stop riding to work.