I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: How many times have you been down? - Lifetime on the street
Poll Options
How many times have you been down? - Lifetime on the street

Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis
Re: How many times have you been down? - Lifetime on the street

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRider
Been on the street 25 years. Went down first time earlier this year. Riding in hills of NC, coming around a blind 90d left. I'm already leaned over and pressing on the inside handle bars to get more lean out of her. As I'm coming around the turn, there's gravel on the inside third of the lane. I feel the front slip a little and the rear washes out.

What I learned;

1) Don't go in blind at speed.

2) Don't be so aggressive with the inside press, keep the bike upright more to maintain a larger contact patch.

3) Should have stayed in the outside third (late apex) and I may have at least seen the gravel or avoided it entirely.

4) You don't bounce as well at 55 as you do at 25.

In the end, I had a minor ankle injury from having the bike on my ankle as we skated along the pavement but was ATTGAT and never suffered a scratch.

It's been 6 months since the spill and I still get nervous about executing turns that I used to take without thought. It's a mind game.
If you do a search, I stated a thread a few years back about aiming for gravel and tar snakes. IMHO when you hit one by surprise, you know what's going on and you usually can ride it thru.
Pucker moment for sure...
Don't know how the rear washed out though, the front is the testy one and pulls you down.
How's the ankle doing?

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Getting up to speed

I was already in the lean, in the turn. By the time I saw the gravel, I was in it and it wasn't just a few rocks. It was a quite a bit. As the front slid, the rear was already in it and the momentum took the rear with it.

Ankle is fine, I'm fine. I just forced the turn a little to hard and their just wasn't of enough rubber on the road.

Oh well. Chit happens.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRider
I was already in the lean, in the turn. By the time I saw the gravel, I was in it and it wasn't just a few rocks. It was a quite a bit. As the front slid, the rear was already in it and the momentum took the rear with it.

Ankle is fine, I'm fine. I just forced the turn a little to hard and their just wasn't of enough rubber on the road.

Oh well. Chit happens.

As you say...

Glad it's all better now.

Cheers bud

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

The wife is starting to count!
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Fore!!!!!!!!

In 1981 I laid down my GPZ550 en route to the Rock Store.

In 1984 I took my Ninja 900 head on with a car on Hwy 2 in La Canada. This one got me a helicopter ride, an unscheduled surgery and a few months off of work.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Twisted Wrister

In 2010, I was on an June early evening ride up one of my usual "work-out" canyons west of Denver. The bike was a 2007 Kawasaki ZX10R. I was just coming into a corner when I see a big buck deer standing right in my line. I panicked and grabbed too much brake. Rear wheel broke loose and as the bike slid over towards the breakdown lane, the rear caught sand/gravel and the bike went over on the right side. I flew over the bars and slid about twenty feet before sliding right into the ditch.

I estimate I got the bike down to about 30mph before I was flipped off. My helmet (which I kept as a reminder) has big gouges in the right side of the chin bar and windscreen. From the looks of it, it's probable I'd have broken my jaw if I hadn't had it on.

Bike was rideable... just cracked plastics. I was unhurt except for skinned knuckles on my right hand and a skinned right knee. My knee was swollen, but not bad... was a bit worse the next morning, but I*C*E took care of that promptly. I was wearing fingerless gloves (last time ever doing that) and jeans (also the very last time ever doing THAT!). I had on my robust Alpinestars leather jacket and Icon Chukka low boots.

State Farm totalled the bike, but I bought it back for $250, replaced all the plastics and was able to sell it for a fair profit.

My mistake? I should have stayed in my line... I probably would have either slipped right by the big boy on the right or just grazed him as he ran to the left.

All in all it was a great learning experience and it prompted me into riding with better gear, riding with my head on an even bigger swivel, and to be very aware of the way any bike's brakes handle in an emergency situation. It also prompted me to more advanced training and practice.

Another great fringe benefit was that the insurance money and money I made from selling the bike got me into long distance riding and buying/trying different bikes. I'm very happy with the evolution of my riding style, type of rides, and the types of bikes I've owned since the incidence.
Past Bikes:
2012 K13S
2009 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
2009 Triumph Sprint ST
2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1975 Honda SB550T "Clubman"
1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J
1985 Suzuki GS550E
1978 Yamaha 650 Special
Old 04-12-2013, 01:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I took a 1 1/2 inch nail straight into the rear tire (tubed) while leaving a campsite on my R60/5 in the early 90's. I didn't know it was there (more later) till I banked into a corner at highway speed (probably 120 km/hr) a few minutes later. The nail shedded the tube on the side and in an instant the rear of the bike was in front of me. The tire had come off the rim. I would have sworn on whatever holy book that the machine had just turned to rubber. I had two very distinct thoughts; 1. "this is serious" and 2. "is that all you can think about?" as the road went the other way. There was a bit of a ditch (maybe 8 inches deep) but enough to pitch bike and rider through the air for some distance. I came down face first into dirt that had been worked over by some equipment the previous year. I travelled another 50 feet or so before coming to a stop. I moved my legs, arms and neck to convince myself that I was alive and in one peice before I could get air in my lungs. Broken arm and some pretty serious bruises.
The lessons are familiar ones:
1. Two days before the trip I replaced my open face helmet with a full face. I hate to think what would have happened without it!
2. It was cold so I was wearing all my gear - not good gear but lots of it (kind of like the Michelin Tire guy). Thank god for that cool Canadian autumn day.
3. On leaving the campsite I thought I heard something and only did a half-ass inspection. REALLY BIG MISTAKE! I now take my time and check thoroughly if anything seems even slightly amiss.
Stay safe!!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:40 AM
A Work in Progress !!

Only once ... hope it stays that way. 1987, 2 chicks on bikes traveling Europe for 3 months, seriously noobie rider at the time (3 months, what was I thinking ???), in the mountains of former Yugoslavia between Dubrovnik and Skopje. It was raining like hell, hard to see, taking long curved sweeps around the mountains. Just finished passing several cliffs when some riders on the opposite side of the road (on foot !!!) were motioning us to slow down ... too late, I hit the oil patch that some old truck spewed on the road. Down I went at about 90klm/hr, controlled side skid in to the gravel for what seemed to be an eternity. Thank God we had passed the cliffs. All I could think of is "save the clutch, this is Yugoslavia, a semi-block country !!!". Was wearing all the gear except gloves because they were drenched from the rain. In trying to save the clutch, my hand slipped under the bike going through the gravel ... OUCH !!! Yes, I saved the clutch, but lost the front fender and bent the forks.

I sat in a puddle of water, covered and stuffed in gravel, with my bike on it's side in front of me ... I was just stunned. Started to move my limbs, neck, back ... all was good. All of a sudden 5 guys came rushing over talking in German. They had first aid kits and ran around picking up my baggage that was every where. I'm still in shock at this point and they are starting to peel my clothes off!!! Gods truth, I am almost naked at the side of the road while they are getting dry clothes on me, dressing me and attending to my hand. By the grace of God, it instantly stopped raining and the sun started to shine. The Germans were on their way back home from a trip to Greece. One of the guys had punched in his Ducati when he hit the oil slick and left it there for dead. Sat with them for about an hour or so to regain my composure and off we went. Made it to Skopje that day where my Grandfather lived, stayed for a week so my throttle hand could heal.

Will never forget that trip ... 13 countries in 3 months. Would love to do that trip again some day (without the fall).

BMW S1000RR (Track) aka BOY TOY
BMW S1000R (Street) aka HUSBAND
Yamaha R3 (Track) aka RUG RAT
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'poosieposse1' for this post:
Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Site Contributor

Vickie .... sure sounded like a great trip.... until the ' get off '.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellB
I took a 1 1/2 inch nail straight into the rear tire (tubed)..... The nail shedded the tube on the side and in an instant the rear of the bike was in front of me. The tire had come off the rim. ...
Stay safe!!

Glad it wasn't worse!

Ride West 2008
Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Getting up to speed

Last week marked my 30th year on the street...... never down!

But I'm sure that fact I had a dirt bike since 7 years old, riding summer and winter, has 100% to do with that !

Wife wants to ride now, having a hard time with that, given she doesn't have those years behind her..... I honest believe it what keeps me up.

For now she is riding dirt on weekends, and started to sit on the back of my K1300S, so she can see how bad it is out there.

Son just turn 9, he started dirt 2 weeks ago, future BMW rider for sure

K1300S
Past
Ninja 600
Ninja 1000
Concours (first gen)
GSX-750f (Katana)
Triumph 600TT
Yamaha R1
Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSeat
Last week marked my 30th year on the street...... never down!

But I'm sure that fact I had a dirt bike since 7 years old, riding summer and winter, has 100% to do with that !

Wife wants to ride now, having a hard time with that, given she doesn't have those years behind her..... I honest believe it what keeps me up.

For now she is riding dirt on weekends, and started to sit on the back of my K1300S, so she can see how bad it is out there.

Son just turn 9, he started dirt 2 weeks ago, future BMW rider for sure

Ride West 2008
Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Was on a '81 Fatboy taking an interstate clover leaf, just wouldn't lean enough. Opps! Had I not had a helmet on, I don't think I would be here today. Some say I am still not here!

Bought an 84 k bike from a friend, got rid of the fatboy and, later purchased a 04 K1200GT. Considering the agility, speed, I am lucky to be alive!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Getting up to speed

Just once (of note)... happened in Thailand...
The ingredients:
1. There is pretty much no speed enforcement... so we were going a bit quick... yep, if there's no one in a uniform to tell you you're going too fast, you'll go faster!!!
2. an idiot Thai driver... They're about as predictable as deer, and pay just as much attention to the road rules!
Fortunately I walked away with just some bruising to the inner thigh where I hit the tank on the way over... ATGATT!!!
(It used to be a Multistrada!)

(2013 696 Monster ...for the wife)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to '18tillidie' for this post:
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Site Contributor

I'm in the 4-6 category. Not so bad considering that is with 40 years and over 750,000 miles in the saddle, and the largest percentage was accomplished splitting lanes in SoCalifornia - LA traffic.

I read an actuarial once where a "motorcycle messenger" had an estimated 3 year life span.
I proudly defy that statistic; I went 15 years and am here to talk about it.
Thankfully I avoided vehicle to vehicle contact with the chronically distracted or "impaired" motorists as well as the occasional, latently homicidal road rage sufferer.
My tumblers have mostly been caused by rain/oil slickened intersections and surfaces. If it's an unavoidable, rain soaked 1" thick 8' x 8' steel plate covering unfinished road work mid intersection you can see it coming ; but some slimy spooge dripped by a prior garbage truck mid corner can surprise the most "aware" rider!

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Red face Re: How many times have you been down? - Lifetime on the street

Fifteen years old, on the Honda 90. Had the neighbor kid for a passenger. I attempted to pass a car on a gravel road. I don't think either of us was going over 40 mph. My front wheel went into a rut, and when I tried to steer out of the rut, the front wheel caught, and the bike reared up, sending my passenger airborne, and me sliding on my forearms across the gravel while still hanging onto the bike. Neither of us were wearing any protective gear. My forearms were skinned up and imbedded with gravel and dirt. My passenger didn't suffer any bruises until he came back down to earth, and then just scratches on one upper arm.
Forty-seven years later I still think of that when I ride on any unpaved surface!

current bikes
2016 Heritage Softail Classic "Big Bad Bill"
2013 K1600GT "Fritz"
2008 Rocker C "Crocker"
2012 Softail Slim "Big Red"
2010 Tri-Glide Ultra Classic "Geezer"
2009 Crossbones "Bad to the Bone"

previous bikes
2013 Fat Boy Lo
2011 Road Glide Custom
2005 Low Rider
2005 Electra-Glide Police
2013 Sportster 48
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300A
1979 Electra-Glide
1979 Super Glide
1966 Honda C200(90 cc)
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Riding over 40 years...1980 broken right wrist-operator error....2012 broken left wrist-inattentive left turner took me out...that's it for 40 years on the road.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalissimo
For the purposes of this poll, exclude get-offs on the track and the dirt. Also, if you want, let us know what happened, so we can learn from your mistake(s).
Once when I was about 22 (I am now 60) commuting home when a lady stopped at an intersection, looked straight at me with my headlight on, bright yellow helmet & all, and then pulled out right in front of me. I hit her in the drivers door, went over the top, and was unmarked ! Bike ( A Suzuki TS 125) had bent forks.
Since that day I never trust that anybody sees me, and look about 5 cars ahead.
Stay right way up with the black sticky stuff firmly planted.
Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Riding for 35 years. Dirt, sand, street. Never down…Combination Luck, being chicken, and luck.

Getting more chicken as the years go on, but going to keep my streak going.

Always say yes to a couple beers….except when on a bike.
1972 Kawasaki 90

Saddle Sore 1000
Butt Burner 1500
Old 11-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Getting up to speed

Once down, when commuting on a trail bike about 36 years ago - woman cage driver pulled out in front of me & I hit her in the drivers door & went over the top. No injuries, but bent forks on my little Suzuki TS 125.
A few years ago I had a near miss on my K1100RS, hit pea gravel going into a left hand sweeper at about 80kmh, the rear slid & I opposite locked the handlebars like I used to on the trail bikes ( more by instinct than planning) and put my left foot down, then the bike got some traction & promptly stood straight up. My riding buddies that wee following said they were thinking, low side, he's gone, the. oh No he's going to high side it.... Miraculously I managed to keep the power on and pull out OK... The guys behind me were laughing so much they just had to pass me to pull up and tell me what it looked like from behind. Not pretty I'm sure, but no damage to me, bike or ego.
I am pretty cautious now, and as most of my riding is with my wife as pillion, I get a sharp jab in the ribs if I get too enthusiastic.
Stay safe, look well ahead and beware of blind cage drivers ( of which there is an excess )
1990 K75S Special edition - wifes tourer (SOLD in 2017)
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - wifes sport bike
1996 K1100RS - Brunhilde I - (sold in 2007)
Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Getting up to speed

2-3 category here. First was when I moved from a '40 HD Knucklehead to a '86 Cagiva 650 Allazura in '87,, (I was 23). Radically different torque curves. I had about 700 miles on the Cagiva and was on my way to work. Two lanes each way, I'm in the inside lane with a oil belching pickup in front of me, traveling about 35 mph. I do a head check to see if the right lane is clear, look back forward and the pu is nearly stopped in front of me. Panic push/lean for all I'm worth and miss the truck in a lean so sharp I was told my tires went under the bumper of the truck as I cleared him.

Unfortunately, I was now in a full lean going right, as I entered a left hand corner. W/o the imminent thread of death, I tried to toss the bike back over, but swung wide and hit some sanding gravel left over from winter, (it was early April in Portland, OR). The bike just slid sideways into the curb and I lacked the skills to ride away, so slid down the curb into a steel light pole. Totaled bike, right tib/fib fracture that had me in a case for 6 months with a long s/s pin down the larger bone.

I bought another bike before I was out of the cast and rode to my second Dr. appointment. The Dr. was not amused.

Lesson learned was that I should have taken a MSF/TO course when I had a few miles on the new bike, as it was radically different from the old one.

20 years later in '07 I low sided my FJR on snow coming back from the White Stag rally in Beatty, NV at the end of January. I'd been riding on packed snow and ice for about 100 miles that morning and came over a rise South of Hawthorne, NV and the sun came out, melting the ice/snow. Wet ice/packed snow is just about as slippery as it gets. I slowed down, but before I could stop the front wheel went out and I tried to stabilize it, but ended up going into a low side and crashing. Didn't hit anything hard. Windscreen, bar ends, mirrors all gone. Picked it up, duct taped my pant leg, (zipper blew out), and rode another 800 miles home that day.

Main lesson, go have breakfast before heading out when it's F'ing cold. The plow came by while I was sorting the bike. Had I left 20 minutes later, that road would have been bare pavement.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Site Contributor

Very impressive Pirate. I think #10 is the overarching rule. Showing off almost always results in some type of problem.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 12-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Site Contributor

Wow Tim. Glad you're here to talk about it. Obviously the bike took the impact. Did you go over the hood of the car? How did you avoid that impact?

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Life time on the Street and open roads, some serious, some with no consequences

But is necessary to take a moment to think about my accidents, plastic inserts, metalic inserts, meters of surgical thread, hours of physiotherapy, and arrive to a conclusión....

I would not change Nothing that I've experienced with all of my bikes!, I enjoyed every Km. I rode !. Yes, is a dangerous thing, too many speed, too many power, you head is the bumper, and others that the people (who has no bike) said.

Definitely I love biking, I am aware of the danger involved but until I can lift my leg to ride, I'll be there again

Last edited by bernardo : 09-24-2014 at 07:42 AM.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'bernardo' for this post:
Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Life time on the Street and open roads, some serious, some with no consequences

But is necessary to take a moment to think about my accidents, plastic inserts, metalic inserts, meters of surgical thread, hours of physiotherapy, and arrive to a conclusión....

I would not change Nothing that I've experienced with all of my bikes!, I enjoyed every Km. I rode !. Yes, is a dangerous thing, too many speed, too many power, you head is the bumper, and others that the people (who has no bike) said.

Definitely I love biking, I am aware of the danger involved but until you can lift my leg to ride, I'll be there again

Obviously you have a great passion for riding Bernardo.
I had several accidents between the ages of 14 and 35. Only one that put me in the intensive care ward however. I had a severe head injury (brain bleed) from hitting the ground hard face first with an open faced helmet. In that same accident I hit the ground so hard with my left hip the shock across my skeleton threw my right shoulder out of its socket.

After an 18 year hiatus and back at it last season I have not gone out even once without full protective gear, I do not care to end up in the hospital because of my or some other driver's stupidity again.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K13Mike' for this post:
Old 02-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Site Contributor

For the neophyte, the uninformed, the lazy, or the chronically deluded I cannot begin to express how much the contemporary offerings of protective motorcycle gear can save one in terms of pain and medical expenses. Too not protect oneself with these easily found bits of moto couture on EVERY RIDE is the epitomy arrogant stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13Mike
Obviously you have a great passion for riding Bernardo.
I had several accidents between the ages of 14 and 35. Only one that put me in the intensive care ward however. I had a severe head injury (brain bleed) from hitting the ground hard face first with an open faced helmet. In that same accident I hit the ground so hard with my left hip the shock across my skeleton threw my right shoulder out of its socket.

After an 18 year hiatus and back at it last season I have not gone out even once without full protective gear, I do not care to end up in the hospital because of my or some other driver's stupidity again.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:05 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalissimo
For the purposes of this poll, exclude get-offs on the track and the dirt. Also, if you want, let us know what happened, so we can learn from your mistake(s).

Didn't see track and gravel exclusions - vote goes to virgin. Had tiny incident with Honda 650 thumper on gravel. Was so little, but meant to much as lesson on 2-wheel traction limitations. I straighten up on curved metal expansion joints, even in the dry. Understand that, and that everything on 4 wheels is trying to kill you. And motorcycling becomes easy.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Getting up to speed

My Daddy said: "The day you think you know the motorcycle is the day you will go down".

He was right.

Respect the machine.

IBA# 5819
Old 03-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Ray Hull

20 years ago, last spring, VT 100 at Stratton Mtn Road (just north of Mt. Snow). Was on my freshly purchased first bike, 74 R90/6 that was all 90-S'ed up with bikini fairing, dual discs, etc. Didn't make the turn onto Stratton as lady behind was tailing me and I went into a field of wild flowers and thumped over on my left shoulder.

Fast FWD: Last month I had that shoulder replaced (been waiting all these years for arthritis to catch up). Recovery is not painful, but is much slower than anticipated.

Just listed my 07 K1200GT for sale here; it's getting a bit too top heavy for my condition; will now rely on a Victory Hammer S.
14 i3 REx
04 545 Sport 6 spd.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Getting up to speed

Other than at the track a hundred years ago I have been down 2 times. I have disintegrated 2 k75 bikes but I was fine due to great gear. Shaken but not broken. Now on my K1200GT I feel less likely to go down at speed but have tipped over at very low speed due to its high center of gravity.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Fuse lit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHaney
Other than at the track a hundred years ago I have been down 2 times. I have disintegrated 2 k75 bikes but I was fine due to great gear. Shaken but not broken. Now on my K1200GT I feel less likely to go down at speed but have tipped over at very low speed due to its high center of gravity.

What gear were you wearing when you went down? Did it influence what kind of gear you ride with now?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Getting up to speed

Thumbs down Re: How many times have you been down? - Lifetime on the street

I was wearing blue jeans, a t-shirt, and boots at the time, pretty much the same as I wear now. The incident influenced my decision to avoid gravel roads as much as possible!

current bikes
2016 Heritage Softail Classic "Big Bad Bill"
2013 K1600GT "Fritz"
2008 Rocker C "Crocker"
2012 Softail Slim "Big Red"
2010 Tri-Glide Ultra Classic "Geezer"
2009 Crossbones "Bad to the Bone"

previous bikes
2013 Fat Boy Lo
2011 Road Glide Custom
2005 Low Rider
2005 Electra-Glide Police
2013 Sportster 48
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300A
1979 Electra-Glide
1979 Super Glide
1966 Honda C200(90 cc)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Getting up to speed

Both times I crashed I was wearing all weather layered jacket and pants. They are both Cordora and I still wear them now. They have lasted numerous years and still look ok. I had these made at a local outfitter (sadly out of business). They held up as well as Kevlar. The only time I don't use my good gear is when it's above 90. My wife lets me use her aeroflex jacket. Way breathable but only 2/3 the protection.
Current 2003 K1200GT
Old 09-13-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHaney
Both times I crashed I was wearing all weather layered jacket and pants. They are both Cordora and I still wear them now. They have lasted numerous years and still look ok. I had these made at a local outfitter (sadly out of business). They held up as well as Kevlar. The only time I don't use my good gear is when it's above 90. My wife lets me use her aeroflex jacket. Way breathable but only 2/3 the protection.
At 2/3 the protection, make sure you ain't gonna scrape down the highway more than 2/3 the regular distance you usually do !

Ride West 2008
Old 09-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Getting up to speed

define 'going down" !

D oes dropping it in the driveway because I was too lazy to move that golf ball sized stone off the pavement count?
or the time I was peddling it in the parking lot and didnt notice the depression in the pavement......................like 3" deep..................does that count?
or the time some idiot crossed my path at a T bone angle..........grabbed every bit of brake that K 12Gt had...put it up on its front tire only to fall over without impacting the moron in the car?
Just for edification, Progressive cut me a check for $2400 when I dropped it in the driveway. Plastic is expensive
Old 09-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Getting up to speed

John, no ABS?
Current 2003 K1200GT
Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 AM
Getting up to speed

yes... ABS but upon review of the situationafter there was no damage to my front endof my bike and no dents in the car. I might have touched him with my tire but I did a stoppie on a K12GT. We can rag on BMW about some things but not the brakes.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Re: define 'going down" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW 06 john
Plastic is expensive

But life is priceless... better to buy plastics for the bike than stainless steel for the body
Old 10-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Getting up to speed

A lot more in my youth going to fast. A few times not seeing something. Of course the idiot left turners. That is where I really got hurt. In last bunch of years only once or twice. Of course I grew up riding dirt bikes where if you don't crash you need to ride harder. I wear all the stuff. Gives you a much better chance at less or no injury. Richard.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Heading downhill with engine off, going 2mph around hairpin turn in full lean with gf on back. cylinder scraped ground (R80 boxer engine) and took weight off of rear wheel, started sliding tangential to turn (rather than following the curve). Both of us simply stepped off the bike, which slid a couple more feet before it stopped. Picked up the bike, no damage (good cylinder... and rode away!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFlower777
Heading downhill with engine off, going 2mph around hairpin turn in full lean with gf on back.
Why was the bike not running?
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Getting up to speed

Ever since I was a boy riding on the back of my dads bike, we would turn the engine off to go down this huge twisty section of mountain and see how far we could get at the bottom once it flattened out. So that is what I was doing when I told the cylinder to meet the ground and kiss
Old 01-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Getting up to speed

My wife dropped her K75S again last weekend. Each time she has been at a standstill. This time we stopped in a carpark that had an incline. I told her to turn & face uphill, but she hesitated due to an uneven surface, and then when she went to put her "downhill" leg down her boot heel got stuck behind the footpeg and over she went. We have now bought her some flat soled boots rather than the cool looking Italian ladies boots with heels !
1990 K75S Special edition - wifes tourer (SOLD in 2017)
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - wifes sport bike
1996 K1100RS - Brunhilde I - (sold in 2007)
Old 01-18-2015, 12:42 PM

Been down quite a few times this past month. Those were simple "Duh" moments. No harm done. Just lift the bike and keep on going. ;-) The alu panniers made raising the bike easier ;-)

Desert, East of Ksar Ghilane, Tunisia

Pist just South of Tozer, Tunisia

-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current

Old 02-01-2015, 04:46 AM
Entering the on-ramp

100km/h fanging it round a fast corner and the bitumen road became dirt. Lucky to dodge to giant gum trees and walk away with nasty gravel rash on one leg. Bike needed $1800 repairs.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Getting up to speed

If we are not counting dirt bike riding at least 20 times in the street. Mostly when I was younger. I did have both my arms broken by a opposing left hand turner 25 years ago. Most of my crashes were me going to fricken fast by myself. I am much more conservative then I used to be. Although I crashed my hp2 twice in the street in the last couple of years. These were the type of crash where you pick up the bike real quick and get out of there. I wear all the gear which cuts the injury factor down greatly. Richard.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Twisted Wrister

How many times have I been down? Hmm. Have to go back to first bike, in 1970. In first week managed to almost rear end a car at a stop light by not paying attention, ended up on my side a foot away.

Comically spiraled down (540 degree spin) on ice with Honda CB350 carrying me and a 250lb passenger at a stop.

Then the big stuff. Totalled 3 BMW's. First, car pulled out in front of 76 R90s. Second, car whipped in front of me as he suddenly turned into a parking lot when I was passing him, totaling a 83 R100RS (and breaking my back). Third, locked up the front brake at 80mph passing a line of cars following a semi when I hard-braked and hit a damp spot. (In front of an oncoming cop car, which was why I was braking so hard).

Also got run off the road on a shop K75s on Mt. Lemmon (Arizona) when a racing tow truck slid its rear end right into my lane. Hit a large rock, went down, and had to pay the shop $750 to fix damage.

Can't really count it, but once I was stopped on a gravel road (mountain trail, almost) in Colorado with the R90s fully loaded for a 3-week tour including camping. Girlfriend got off OK, but my left foot slid out on the gravel (sloped), and I foolishly tried to stop the bike from going over. Next thing I knew I was on my back, with left hand still holding the grip!

Oh - one time my R90s went down in Oakland, CA at a stop sign, when the bike was 1 month old. Everything seemed fine as I pulled up, and BAM I was down. No idea why until I almost fell getting back up. Something really slippery was all over the road. Probably antifreeze from someone's blown radiator hose. Possibly oil. No way to see that coming.

Most of these events occurred with no warning, out of the blue. Thankfully the last one (dropping it in front of a semi) occurred in 1987.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I have only ever gone down once on the street, countless times on the dirt My Yamaha TX750 had a dry oil sump and when running, the oil was pumped up to a reservoir under the seat where you did the checking. As any good cycle rider, I checked the oil before I got on it ( cold and not running) and found it needed oil so I added it and then took off to College. As I turned into the college parking lot, the back end went out from under me because the tire was drenched in oil from me terribly over filling it. When I got my whits about me and turned my head, I was staring at the bumper of a Mustang who just barely stopped. I quickly learned the hard way that the oil on that bike was checked hot and while running. It could have been a very bad situation and I was lucky I was moving relatively slowly when it happened.
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
Old 06-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Getting up to speed

I'll charitably exclude 'oopsies' on the street during snow storms and say 1. Still have the boxer cylinder head cover on the garage wall to remind me not to be stupid.
Wife was on the back and somehow hopped off and landed like a cat. She gave up piloting after a low speed get-off shattered her kneecap into a million pieces.

Ride hard, but with respect and humility.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiltzig
My wife dropped her K75S again last weekend. Each time she has been at a standstill. This time we stopped in a carpark that had an incline. I told her to turn & face uphill, but she hesitated due to an uneven surface, and then when she went to put her "downhill" leg down her boot heel got stuck behind the footpeg and over she went. We have now bought her some flat soled boots rather than the cool looking Italian ladies boots with heels !
I loved my K75s but they are a bit top heavy. Almost made me swear off K bikes but the motors are are just too nice.
Current 2003 K1200GT
Old 07-01-2015, 11:09 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

4 but it works out to one every 14.25 years.

#1 Europe 1963, lost front end of my Triumph 650 in the rain.
#2 After many years of shift on the right, brake on the left bought a new Honda, a little hot into a corner, touched the "rear brake" to scrub some speed, oops that's the gear shift on the Honda, locked rear wheel and a low sided.
#3 Grabbed a large handful of throttle while leaned over exiting a sandy corner, a high side when I got traction.
#4 Lost the front end on the painted cross walk lines in the rain.

4 out of 4, self induced operator error

07 K1200GT CGM
00 Ducati 900 Monster
Old 10-31-2015, 01:35 PM
Getting up to speed

Age 15. Over a fence post in the weeds. Split the helmet and never went without again. Thanks for the early lesson, God!.

Age 35, my Vfr really it's a bit too tall. Fell over at a stoplight.

I'm a really cautious rider, I know that is no guarantee, but would glad up my skills if I had the chance.
VFR750F, ZX6E, KZ1000LTD,
ZX10B, K1200S,
K1300S Last and Best
IBA #63855
Old 11-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Fell 5 times in 45 minutes last Thursday . . . on my BMX bicycle. I'm getting to old for this shit!
Tyson
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson
Fell 5 times in 45 minutes last Thursday . . . on my BMX bicycle. I'm getting to old for this shit!
Tyson

Tyson .... I just checked your DOB. You are correct.

" The real motorcycle you are working on is yourself " robert pirsig
Old 09-02-2016, 01:28 AM
Shooting the gap

Never, 14 different bikes now, last 4 BMWs with an Aprilia track bike mixed in with those last 4. Got my first street bike at 14, so 25 years of riding now. Never counted the miles, but I would guess in the 200k range with a lot less riding in the past 5 years. My riding buddy (my old man) decided to retire 6 hrs away, plus a much busier work schedule.

My best advice, don't get angry or mad, keep a cool head. Frustration can lead to careless mistakes and when it doubt, trust the bike. A properly setup bike is usually capable of far more than most riders are comfortable with. In an "ohh shit" moment; don't panic, trust the bike and your abilities, ride out of it.

-RP
Old 12-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Shooting the gap

Been riding street bikes since I was 18. Crashed in front of a group of Japanese street racers watching a slick corner on the north end of Okinawa. I was more embarrassed than anything, didn't hurt the bike although I'm not sure you could, 1980 Suzuki GS750G.
I've dropped a few others but wouldn't consider that being down.
I've ridden only 100,000 miles on bikes but now that I'm a little older and only go in excess of 120mph on a weekly basis instead of several times a day, I hope my dangerous days are over.

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

If you don't ride hard you don't fall down ! If ya want to dance ya got to pay the fiddler ! Been there , done that , don't have the t shirt ( got torn off in the slide ) !
Old 12-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Site Contributor

you guys and gals aren't trying hard enough! Only dropped the BMW k1200s once turning around exploring unknown roads,on remote Big Island,slow but kinda hard hope not to go down or drop this beauty! Now my bike before,my Suzuki sv650s I would pop a wheele every day coming home on my road as long as no one was looking. The Suzuki a much shorter wheel base and 150lbs less, ricochet on rocks in the road like playing a game of pool! In seven years on the Suzuki 32,000 miles,gone down 7 times, I was averaged once a year....When ,not if I go down, I find myself thinking I hope no one saw me Back to 1980 in N. C. my 78 Laverda 1000Jota down once in 40,000miles ice on road,two up lucky no hurt, Laverda two up coast to coast,1981 caught 97 in a 55 spent 3 days in Haywood County Jail after wards lost license for 3 yrs. Before my 72 Norton 750 Commando in 1979 on the way to work I ran into a 60s model Plymouth ,trying to pass and car making a no signal left turn,learn to fly, heart brake only,almost 30,000 miles,the Norton one up,with two other buddy's coast to coast. Then even farther back in 1977 on my Yamaha 250rd ,recessed curve high sided into rock wall helmet saved me still broken jaw and 13 stitches the year I graduated form high school 1977. So by contrast the BMW k1200s and the Laverda 1000jota are very close,long wheel base and only 50lbs different,except in power,handling like big bikes,very stable and sure footed. I even find riding dirt roads easier than on the SV 650s. Remember to wear protection cause it's not if but when !
Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Site Contributor

I stopped behind a car waiting to make a turn into a store. Another rider didn't see me and sideswiped me from behind on the right side. He then went into the rear of the stopped car. I caught myself from falling over, but the entire right side of my bike was destroyed. Footpeg was broken off, exhaust bent, fairing cracked and hanging, etc. Footpeg went through the bottom of my Dainese boots and into my foot and broke several bones and dislocated my knee. Other rider was airlifted to hospital as we were hours from no where. I put my bike back together with coat hangers and duct tape and ambulance people wrapped my foot and I put it back in my boot. Rode my bike 80 miles back home, then had a neighbor take me to the ER. Bottom line, other rider did better than I did. He had three fractured ribs and I was on crutches for four months! But! I wasn't going to leave my bike in the sticks if I could help it!
Old 03-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeck
My best advice, don't get angry or mad, keep a cool head. Frustration can lead to careless mistakes and when it doubt, trust the bike. A properly setup bike is usually capable of far more than most riders are comfortable with. In an "ohh shit" moment; don't panic, trust the bike and your abilities, ride out of it.

-RP

My rule of thumb: You can go as fast as you want as long as you're not in a hurry. That's when you start taking chances.