I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders?

Wearing a full face helmut is a NO Brainer. Those who do not wear one must not have much brain to save. IMO

And yes insurance costs would come down without all the Extreme Injuries caused by NO helmet. Go check with the Emergency Room in your town, what do they think.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMaRider
Muddy I just got finished reading Brittany's story and all I can say is DAMN!!! That girl is one of the strongest people I have ever read about. That story is sad but at the same time very uplifting and positive. I hope other people that ride will take the time to read what can happen in an instant. Most all of us know someone that has had a bad accident or died but this story could help save lives if people would just realize the importance of riding gear.

I agree that this gal is amazing. The unabated seering pain she endured for the first 6 months is more than most people can comprehend. She is a great role model for what NOT to do!

Must admit that whenever I overhear strangers in a conversation about a new rider or about gear, I join the conversation and inquire whether the new rider has taken or will take the MSF, then I give a few details of the Road Rash Queen's encounter with pain. Want to leave them thinking...

I meet summertime inquiries with "I'd rather sweat than bleed". Somehow, seeing my rather distressed leathers ends the conversation!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Site Contributor

I really don't see the difference between helmet laws and mandatory seat belt laws, which we already have. I won't even ride around the block without a helmet.

Rusty
Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
I really don't see the difference between helmet laws and mandatory seat belt laws, which we already have. I won't even ride around the block without a helmet.

Rusty

I've ridden only a few miles without a helmet and it felt FANTASTIC!!!
Of course, it wasn't at a high speed and I felt rather naked with nothing between my skull and the pavement if the worst happened...

I can understand why people choose to ride without gear - it just feels great to throw a leg over without all the stuff between one and the bike. Shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes.... ...... I just can't do it though....
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
I've ridden only a few miles without a helmet and it felt FANTASTIC!!!
Of course, it wasn't at a high speed and I felt rather naked with nothing between my skull and the pavement if the worst happened...
I don't disagree with the feeling, but the fact is that if my noggin goes into the curb at 15 MPH, I'm a goner. Admittedly, my view may be skewed by living in Harris County (Houston and environs) with the associated traffic and crazy drivers.

Rusty
Old 05-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goose
Mo. is voting on the helmet law soon I think. Blows my mind when I cross the bridge to IL and see kids in shorts w/ no helmet on their bikes.

They were using the MO riders as role models who stopped on the other side of the bridge and took their's off, often nearly causing collisions from the ill advised parking they insisted on to accomplish their presto change-o routine into freedom loving motormen/women.

I see where the helmet requirement was repealed by the MO house and senate EXCEPT for interstate road travel. (with little debate) What kind of reasoning is that ? I'm gonna be interested to see how they define interstate travel. Maybe just like it sounds. A whole new deal. I'm gonna lobby for interplanetary travel inclusion the next time it comes up in Illinois on its way to annual defeat.

Personally I like to ride without a helmet, but I haven't done it in many, many years.

geo
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to bonafidebob Send a message via Yahoo to bonafidebob Send a message via Skype™ to bonafidebob

Dang. I've been sitting here for 5 minutes thinking about it, and none of the poll answers seem right. I think you're an idiot if you ride without a helmet. ...and gloves, decent boots, and a good jacket. I don't need a law to tell me that, just like I don't need a law that tells me not to put a bullet in my brain. (But there's probably one for that too.)

States rights: that's way too deep an issue for a motorcycle helmet poll.

I like fewer laws, and almost went with the insurance option on the pull, but I think it's backwards. I don't have any problem at all with insurance companies raising rates on people who don't wear helmets. Or lowering rates for people who do, and who take training courses, and so on. That just seems like good old free market economics to me. If you want to ride without a helmet (or put a bullet in your brain), and you can pay for it, then be my guest. Darwin's law is the only one that really matters in the long run!

Summing it up: who cares? Don't be an idiot and wear a helmet, and then the law is irrelevant. (And don't put a bullet in your brain either... duh!)
Old 05-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
Darwin's law is the only one that really matters in the long run!

Darwin and no helmet:

My wife is an Infectious Disease physician. She was called in for a consult on an infection resulting from a motorcycle accident. She said the guy had a serious scalp infection as a result of be "de-sleeved" in a no-helmet accident. I asked (anticipating the answer) what "de-sleeved" meant. She said that the skin tore loose on one side of his head and came off like pulling your arm out of a sleeve. Yuck. She ordered a PIC line (Periperally Inserted Catheter) in his arm to administer high doses of antibiotics intraveneously.

The guy checked himself out of the hospital AMA (Against Medical Advice). Three hours later, he was back in the ER bleeding profusely after taking a shower and ripping the PIC line out of his arm at home. They were able to save him, but Darwin was knocking at his door.

Clearly, there's a direct relationship between IQ/common sense and not wearing a helmet.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

I'm with Bruce on this one, make it a financial issue (like directly out of your pocket) and the problem will solve itself with no additional legislation. Add a little check box on the insurance application that you agree to wear a helmet at all times or the policy is null and void, end of discussion ! Oh ya, make sure there is a policy at extremely exorbitant rates for no helmet riders so no one is denied their right to ride, that will get their attention.

Baring that radical step then add the check box for no helmet on the paperwork for any infraction. Seems the insurance companies already have this revenue generating mechanism in place for moving violations so shouldn't be that difficult to add.

Having "rung my bell" on numerous "get-offs" on everything from motorcycles, bicycles and snowmobiles to snow skiing and extreme high speed water skiing it's an easy decision for me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
I wear my full face helmet all the time. I wear it no matter what bike I ride or what state I am in. I have been involved in a few accidents over the years and each time my helmet was damaged. So for me law or no law does not come into play as far as my decision to wear a helmet.

If I could write a federal law in regard to helmets, I would manadate all first time licensed riders under the age of 21 must wear an approved helmet. All first time licensed riders over the age of 21 be mandated to wear an approved helmet for one year. Then I would let the individual decide.

I also would like to see different insurance rates. I can not understand why this would be any harder than the step system in use now. And lets say if a person is stopped for a traffic violation, the officer could have a line item for wearing helmet or not. This gets sent to the insurance company and you now have an increase in your rates.

I really can not agree with mandating helmet use for everyone forever. I agree everyone should wear a helmet but it does need to be our choice. My reasoning for helmet use for the new riders is simple, most people will continue to do what they have been doing in the past, so just maybe more people will do the right thing.

And as far as the person who gets injured while not wearing a helmet and has no money or the right insurance, nothing is perfect, but if we can collect even a partial amount of the insurance money for those who decide not to wear a helmet it is a huge step in the right direction.

Just my thoughts, I know this subject will most likely be debated long after I hang up my helmet for the last time.

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Living in the fast lane.

This story came to mind when I thought about those that don't want to wear a helmet.

I took a tumble of my bike going about 30mph, I remember my helmet hitting the blacktop, damn was I glad I wore it and my riding gear.
Muddy thanks for the story about Brittany, I am taking my youngest out to gear up...

"Well ya see Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Riding without a helmet only yesterday I had a big hornet in my face sorry visor

earlier bikes BMW R 1100 RS // Honda VFR x 3 (crashed 2) // Suzuki 1100 E // Honda CX 500 // 550 K // Suzuki 370 SP // Honda 300 dream // Kreidler floret 50 cc // end
Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Über-geek!

Pat,

Just read that story you posted. OUCH!! To say the least.

Thanks for that......really.

There have been a few occasions where I have gotten frustrated with my wife who has only been riding a few years when she has gotten what I've perceived as "militant" in regards to ATTGATT. "But....jeez...I'm ONLY running to the fricking bank!" I recently exclaimed as I stomped into our room and put my riding pants on (that was all I was trying to avoid) and then stomped on out and went to the bank. (only to continue the discussion when I got home! LOL)

After reading that story it really gives me thought, and I really must thank her and thank the powers that be for giving me a wife that cares enough to be "militant" about this in the first place.

Thank you....and ....love you....wife!

~Humility is the only defense against humiliation. ~ Star Wars - The Clone Wars
Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Shooting the gap

This is a tough one, as I really hate to see the US Gubmint protect us from ourselves.
However, there will always be people among us who take unfair advantage of the system (name your system) which causes the rest of us more money.

I think we have arrived to the point where helmet wear should be mandatory in all 50 states, and if one gets in an accident in which not wearing a real DOT helmet results in a head injury, then I think one should be on one's own, paying one's own brain surgery bills.

The US military is getting to that point. ATGATT is preached, but sometimes not observed, resulting in Uncle Sam being forced to pay exhorbitant medical bills, and he is getting real tired of it, and of losing young lives. The military has warned that they will not pick up the tab after an accident where ATGATT was not heeded.

Unfortunately, and you know who you are, non-helment wearers are very much like smokers and people who throw litter---you cannot tell them anything---and if you do, you have a fight on your hands.

At any rate, if you don't like helmets, please take up bowling or pasture pool, and go puff on your cigarrete downwind from me---please.

Now then, if you are a smoker and a helmet wearer, then disregard my comparison, and have a nice ride.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke
This is a tough one, as I really hate to see the US Gubmint protect us from ourselves.
However, there will always be people among us who take unfair advantage of the system (name your system) which causes the rest of us more money.

I think we have arrived to the point where helmet wear should be mandatory in all 50 states, and if one gets in an accident in which not wearing a real DOT helmet results in a head injury, then I think one should be on one's own, paying one's own brain surgery bills.

The US military is getting to that point. ATGATT is preached, but sometimes not observed, resulting in Uncle Sam being forced to pay exhorbitant medical bills, and he is getting real tired of it, and of losing young lives. The military has warned that they will not pick up the tab after an accident where ATGATT was not heeded.

Unfortunately, and you know who you are, non-helment wearers are very much like smokers and people who throw litter---you cannot tell them anything---and if you do, you have a fight on your hands.

At any rate, if you don't like helmets, please take up bowling or pasture pool, and go puff on your cigarrete downwind from me---please.

Now then, if you are a smoker and a helmet wearer, then disregard my comparison, and have a nice ride.

Its like fat people that get in the way in the isles at the supper market...and I have to pay their med bills cause most fat people don't work and just get in the way...and those bastards that just eat McDonald's maybe there not fat but their arteries are hard as a rock.....and those people who drink knowing that there is a chance that they may have liver problems down the road.and my tax money goes to the police to break up drunk fights....those people really piss me off.... speaking of roads....joggers who run in the road with no protection at all..them ass holes.. Those idiots that drive big SUVs and pollute my air and wast gas....want more? When you start paying as much taxes as I do then you can start bitching about smokers...and Your welcome

Quote:
You got out of that one slick...

Last edited by Htheater : 01-09-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Shooting the gap

HA!

I knew somebody would catch that! Just my way of havin' some fun.

Seriously, I sincerely agree with all you have pointed out...there are many parallel issues here. I jab my friends who are smokers around here quite often. Lets them know I care.

I hope to never saddle any of us with any of those issues!
Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Missing an option

I would vote for "individuals right" - so long as I don't have to pay for any of their expenses (medical or otherwise) via increased insurance premiums, Medicare/Medi-Cal claims, etc that result from a motorcycle crash.
If I have to pay for it (portion or all) - then their rights have interfered with mine - and I want mine to win!

06 K1200GT
04 Aprilia Factory
07 KTM 990 ADV
12 KTM 500EXC
03 650CS (hers)
Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,421 Posts

Re: Missing an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
If I have to pay for it (portion or all) - then their rights have interfered with mine - and I want mine to win!
Here in MA, if you get a speeding ticket, they tack on $50.00 for the "Head Injury Trust Fund".
Old 12-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: Missing an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
I would vote for "individuals right" - so long as I don't have to pay for any of their expenses (medical or otherwise) via increased insurance premiums, Medicare/Medi-Cal claims, etc that result from a motorcycle crash.

WMD:

First the government coerces me into paying for a health system I don't want, then they use that as a justification to make everyone wear helmets. That's just wrong on several levels.

Tyson
Old 01-04-2010, 10:53 AM
More willing than graceful.

I'm reluctant to vote in favor of mandatory helmet laws, but I did so for the sole reason that traumatic head injuries are incredibly expensive long-term issues, and in almost all cases the taxpayer will end up with the tab after the comparatively small insurance coverage pays out. There are no guarantees that wearing an approved helmet will eliminate traumatic injuries to the brain, but there's enough evidence to conclude they are extremely beneficial and the drawbacks are just not compelling enough to outweigh those benefits.

I disagree with the seat belt analogy in part because I believe, as a former pilot, that the driver of a vehicle is far more likely to retain some degree of control if they are contained in the space behind the wheel rather than flying off to the side, up, or down in a collision or more likely in the event serious evasive action is necessary. Beyond that, the logic does hold that passengers are less likely to die or suffer more extensive injuries if they buckle up. And again, in the case of serious permanent disability, the taxpayer gets the bill.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Getting up to speed

I just don't feel safe not wearing helmet and protective gear. Anyway, helmet (fitted and strapped) is mandatory here.

I test drove the S1000RR this morning: 0°C & a bit slippery -> thanks for the winter gear !

To ride boldly where no man has ridden before !
Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Shooting the gap

Helmets, I have one better. Everyone should be required to ride a motorcycle to work 3 days a week. Think of all the dumb people we would get rid of!
2006 K1200R
2006 R1150GS Adventure
2008 BMW HP2 Megamoto
2016 R1200GS Adventure
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM

The state should not get involved in these things. I'd not ride without a helmet but one should have the right to do so if he has a death wish...
2009 K1300GT - Got taken care of by a deer
2002 Harley V-Rod [Sold]
2000 Indian Chief [Sold]
2002 Harley Road King [Crashed]
2005 K1200LT [Sold]
2000 K1200LT [Sold]
2000 Harley Road King [Sold]
1997 R1200C [Sold]
1997 Honda Shadow [Sold]
Old 04-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Proud K13S owner

From this summer, protective gear will be mandatory for motorcyclists and their passengers in Belgium.
I can only commend this as you see often people riding during summertime in just sandals, shorts and a t-shirt or guys with full protective gear and their girlfriend riding in a short skirt with high heels on the back. (Sure it looks sexy but the moment they fall off the bike, they never will be sexy again for the rest of their life).
K1300S (2014) Special Edition 30Year
Audi A4 (2002) -> bad weather
Old 04-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Shooting the gap

For all you riders who think riding without protective gear is your right to choice freely, the scene I witnessed couple weeks ago firsthand would change everyones mind if they saw what I saw. A dead Harley rider with no gear who face planted a guard rail. Too bad you cannot ask him if next time he rides if he would wear gear.

I also had to tell his son that his dad was involved in a very bad crash. He also was not wearing a helmet. Wonder what he is thinking now? Any more questions???
Old 04-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

No, it's an idividuals right to choose to wear a helmet

Darwin's theory of evolution! Let fate decide!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

I must admit that I prefer not to wear one when I ride 1 mile on my Xr650 to the Post Office through a neighborhood to get my fan mail, but when I take my KS I dress like I'm expecting a major conflict.

I grew up racking hundreds of miles a year on trick bicycles back in the 60's and I'm not sure but I doubt a helmet was even available to purchase back then. Now, Ralph Nader has us all believing we have lost our ability to keep our hands away from the blades and need to have them covered up by guards that make implements even more dangerous to operate.

Helmet use should be an option of choice, like abortion, but not require my insurance to increase when your decision is the wrong one.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Getting up to speed

Thumbs up Re: Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegtheprez
I was a key instrument in abolishing my states helmet law way back when I road a HD and wore a pin vest. I don't care what any helmetless rider tells you, not wearing a helmet has more to do with peer pressure than personal choice and/or freedom.
I'm responsible enough now to say I was wrong. Wearing a certified helmet should be mandatory and even a fullface one at that.

A wise and honest man.....thanks for sharing!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Twisted Wrister

I'm a yes & not on this - States need Fed. $$ to fix the crappy roads & bridges, BUT - No to have the Darwin effect, fill out your donor card as well & lower my insurance rates because I uses a full face helmet, while your at it.
Yankee Beemer # 1463
NRA # 154764753
Old 06-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Twisted Wrister

another endless argument, freedom vs the general welfare. Maybe if people had to go to the end of the line at the ER for no helmet crashes, they would think about it more.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Things are lookin' up

All of the States made helmets mandatory years ago.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Idling

I voted it should be a person's right to choose. I agree with some and disagree with some of the posts here.

Here's my choices - I always wear full riding gear, boots, gloves, suit, and full face helmet. I've mostly worn Arai helmets and switched to a flip-up Nolan. When I'm done with the Nolan I am going back to Arai. It doesn't matter to me that an Arai is listed at over $500.

A friend of mine has a saying - "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet". This saying pretty much sums up for me why some people make the choices they do.
10 K1300GT
Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Getting up to speed

I'm rarely in favor of the government deciding what's best for us and then legislating their beliefs on all of us, but I am in favor of helmet laws. Most of us started riding when we were teenagers and thought we were bullet-proof. I never wore a helmet, because I was too cool and wasn't planning on dropping my bike (I also still had hair back then and didn't want to mess up my do). Head injuries are way too serious and last a lifetime... if the initial impact is survived. As a police officer and accident re-constructionist, I've seen too many "accidents" where a helmet probably saved the rider's gray matter. (Most of these "accidents" were pedal cycles rather than motor cycles).

I have two college-aged sons that ride crotch rockets as their primary mode of transportation. They have always worn helmets because they never had the legal option of going naked. I'm sure if it were legal they wouldn't wear a helmet for just a short ride on a nice day.

As a taxpayer, I don't want to have to support a live, but brain damaged survivor that could have been back at work or school the next day if they'd been wearing a helmet. This is a case of where the public good is outweighed by the minor imposition on personal freedom.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via ICQ to TopDog5450

It only takes one motorcycle accident. I wear my helmet at all times and while riding in states with no helmet laws.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to MotomanK12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc4945
All of the States made helmets mandatory years ago.

Arizona and Colorado (just to mention 2 that I know of) don't have a helmet law! I feel that if someone doesn't want to wear a helmet...go ahead...it's the darwin theory! A close co-worker tripped over the gas hose and fell, hit his head and died! If you don't want to be "suffocated" by a helmet, go for it man!

BTW, I wear one always...even in Arizona, where it's not required.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Things are lookin' up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotomanK12
Arizona and Colorado (just to mention 2 that I know of) don't have a helmet law! I feel that if someone doesn't want to wear a helmet...go ahead...it's the darwin theory! A close co-worker tripped over the gas hose and fell, hit his head and died! If you don't want to be "suffocated" by a helmet, go for it man!

BTW, I wear one always...even in Arizona, where it's not required.

I was talking about NSW, VIC, WA, TAS, QLD and SA - since everyone else seemed to assume the topic must relate to the US I just had to assume Australia instead
Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Shooting the gap

Send a message via MSN to BryanHerron

I always wear a helmet even though it is not required by law over 18ys of age. One of the drawbacks to living in a state that doesn't require helmets is when you crash your insurance company is not obligated to replace it.
Year round, if I survive.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltmick
I voted it should be a person's right to choose. I agree with some and disagree with some of the posts here.

Here's my choices - I always wear full riding gear, boots, gloves, suit, and full face helmet. I've mostly worn Arai helmets and switched to a flip-up Nolan. When I'm done with the Nolan I am going back to Arai. It doesn't matter to me that an Arai is listed at over $500.

A friend of mine has a saying - "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet". This saying pretty much sums up for me why some people make the choices they do.

This thought process always cracks me up, because it's so ridiculous. While I would agree that a $10 helmet (if you could find one) would be junk. Paying more for a helmet doesn't automatically make it significantly safer. Once you pass around the $150 mark, you're paying for comfort more than anything else at that point. Would I wear an HJC helmet regularly, yes. Would I wear that helmet on any trip longer than about an hour, God no.

As for the original point of the post, I definitely prefer to let people make their own choices. But, with the current system, we all pay for others bad choices, either by our insurance rates or through Medicare and Medicaid. So I see only two realistic options: make helmet use mandatory or make it so that crashing without a helmet is an automatic DNR (Do not resuscitate) and automatic consent to being an organ donor. The same should apply with those stupid beanie helmets that aren't really DOT rated, but they put the stickers on to pretend that they are.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHerron
I always wear a helmet even though it is not required by law over 18ys of age. One of the drawbacks to living in a state that doesn't require helmets is when you crash your insurance company is not obligated to replace it.

You need a better insurance company. Progressive paid replacement value on all of my gear after my crash a couple years ago. Clearly, they recognize that paying for that is a lot cheaper than paying for the medical bills would have been.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to MotomanK12

It just makes me nervous to see people cruising down the highway with no gear...they think they look really cool, but, no helmet, tee shirts or tank tops??? guess if you don't mind bonking your head on the asphalt at speed and/or leaving plenty of skin on the asphalt...go for it. Just feel for the women on the back with no clue.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotomanK12
It just makes me nervous to see people cruising down the highway with no gear...they think they look really cool, but, no helmet, tee shirts or tank tops???

Don't forget the flip-flops or sandals. You can't complete the look without beating up your toe shifting with flip-flops on.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Site Contributor

I have no problem with folks not wearing a helmet. I had the good fortune to fly many brain injured people to our trauma ICU where they eventually improve and go home, rehab the best they can with permanent brain injury or expire. Not to sound so gruesome, but there's thousands of people needing parts (ie. kidneys, livers, corneas, hearts) and if you're aware of the consequences of brain vs. concrete I think there's no reason you can't donate your parts after you expire following traumatic injury due to not wearing a helmet. If it's mandatory to wear a seatbelt in a car, why is it not mandatory to wear a helmet? and if it's not going to be mandatory to wear a helmet, then let the donor states remain a donor state.......
Old 11-23-2010, 05:51 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

I heard the Feds man mandate this. Anyone hear the details?
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 PM
*Disclaimer below

Probly for those states that want fed hiway funding...will
Old 11-25-2010, 01:36 PM
2013 Member of the Year

The usual justification for mandatory helmets (other than the government simply acting as a Nanny State) is that the reduction in injuries resulting from forced helmet use, will reduce health care costs. In the few remaining countries like the US that have essentially no state-run health care system, this reason is obviously irrelevant.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 11-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Getting up to speed

I'll back a universal helmet law after a law requiring seatbelts on school buses is passed.
2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
2009 BMW F650GS (sold)
2001 BMW R1150GS (sold)
2003 Kawa KLR-650
2001 BMW F650 Dakar (sold)
Old 12-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Choice #4 doesn't make sense...
"No, it's an idividuals right but; legislation should be passed to ensure his (not our) insurance rates aren't effected "
It should read as such:
No, it's an individual's right but legislation should be passed to ensure our insurance rates aren't affected, only his and like minded individuals should be in play.

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 AM
Shooting the gap

If you're involved in a motorcycle accident and you're not wearing a helmet, you will get not get medical treatment above the chin.
11 V-Strom 650ABS - way farkled.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'late rider' for this post:
Old 12-31-2010, 04:48 PM

It's time to make jogging an hour a day 4-days a week mandatory. No more butter or refined sugars! I'm tired of paying to keep all these old lardy looking fat people alive after their strokes. Plus, the cost to society in lost wage earning capacity is amazing! They could be putting money INTO the Social Security and Medicaid 'lockboxes' instead of taking it out!

Something must be done. The small loss of the freedom to sit on your a** for those few hours a week is way offset by the greater good! We need a Federal Exercise Tzar.

Tyson
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 PM

Thanks Tyson.

What's next? Should the Fed ban all motorcycles due to risk of injury? It's unfair to make cage drivers pay higher premiums because the motorcyclist (ATGATT) has such a high rate of injury. We should just get rid of them altogether.

Mike
Rock Hill, SC

2010 K1300S
Old 01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Getting up to speed

Wait i think you all missed something, maybe they should make it mandatory to wear seatbelts while operating a motorcycle !!!
i say let those who ride decide. and as for me and mine we all wear full face helmuts (unless going to my garage which is 500 feet from the house)
we have no helmut law here in NH . i tried it once was not impressed and my mother yelled at me.(the ultimate law had spoken)
besides i ride faster when i am wearing a helmut give that extra feeling of confidence, and it keeps those dang bugs outa my teeth.
although i do realize it is against Harley rules to wear a helmut, only another reason i can't ride one...
Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Ready Let's Go

I'm a pro helmet guy, and forgetting the safety aspect of a helmet in a crash. I'm sure I could not have taken the kind of trips I have without a helmet. I can't imagine a 500-600 mile day in the rain without the helmet between me and the rain which would likely feel like nails. Bugs, at times have been an issue, the sun, my helmet has a sun visor, music, road debris etc.... A helmet does a lot more than just protect you in a crash so I say wear it.
Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2003 R1150RT Silver (sold)
Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEM
i ride faster when i am wearing a helmut give that extra feeling of confidence

Which leads to interesting statistics...

It's been a few years since I reviewed the data, but in Florida law enforcement is required to record whether or not the motorcyclist was wearing a helmet in the accident report. When I last looked at it, helmeted riders had a statistically greater probability of death or serious injury in a motorcycle accident. Your statement was indicative of the most likely reason we could deduce for this outcome.

Mike
Rock Hill, SC

2010 K1300S
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Getting up to speed

When I was a Harley guy, I rarely wore a helmet.(I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere)
After working as an EMT, I always wore one.
Went down last April at 70 per, directly on my head(after getting launched on a high-side after I lost my rear tire).
Sure glad I was wearing mine.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilei
One thing that I personally have never driven nor intend to drive is a "hehicle"... not that there is anything wrong with that... just seems too "alternative" to me (like riding a green GT).

As for the poll, it is apparent that the motorcycling lobby is more active than the driving population because of the clear seatbelt comparison. There is no doubt that wearing helmets increases safety yet they are not required though seatbelts are. There IS doubt as to man-made Global warming yet the Govt tells us that we have to use specific light bulbs but they do not inject themselves with helmets, cigarettes, etc...

hehicle or shehicle, what ever. I recall pre Calif helmet law how nice it was to let your hair blow back. I rode with one most of the time but picked my times to not wear one. I say, individuals choice.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 PM
War Horse

I went down hard about 20 yrs ago on a new sport bike. I had an open face helmet with snap on face sheild. It ground the steel rivets down to the plastic helmet. I knew then I'd never leave home without it.

10 yrs ago when Mike Foster was Gov of La. HD wined and dined him with a fully dressed Hog for him and his son. He pushed thru a no helmet law, but, your liability for passengers as well as yourself, plus proof of health insurance for both was higher.

Boy was the hair flowing on cruisers mostly ( helped folks see their do-rags )
Blanco reversed the law a couple of yrs later.
Arkansas still goes bare headed.
MS never changed.

If a dummy jumps in a death chamber, I don't want to pay for his life support.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Getting up to speed

Ok, let's not stop at bikes: Horses, pedal bikes, ATV's, skiing, running, etc.

Let the individual decide! I wear a helmet 99% of the time, but there are times I just don't want to. The "well seat belts are mandatory" is a silly argument. Seat belts don't have any negative side effects other then it might wrinkle your shirt. Helmets on the other hand can be hot, uncomfortable, can't hear anything, have to lug it around, etc., etc., etc....

Hey, while we're at it, let's make full leathers mandatory as well. Once you start pulling the thread it never stops.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:03 AM

Here's a thought...

Should all states actively ban homosexuality? With an annual death toll at roughly four times that of motorcycling, homosexuality is obviously much more dangerous than riding. If we're going to allow government to dictate our choices based upon the impact to society as a whole, why not start with the larger drains on our capital?

Mike
Rock Hill, SC

2010 K1300S
Old 06-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_mike
Here's a thought...

Should all states actively ban homosexuality? With an annual death toll at roughly four times that of motorcycling, homosexuality is obviously much more dangerous than riding. If we're going to allow government to dictate our choices based upon the impact to society as a whole, why not start with the larger drains on our capital?

Shouldn't the more correct issue then be to make wearing condoms mandatory to prevent the spread of disease for both homosexuals and heterosexuals alike? Afterall, its not being homosexual that kills them, its the practice of unsafe sex. Think of it as a different kind of "helmet law"
Old 06-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxman4
Shouldn't the more correct issue then be to make wearing condoms mandatory to prevent the spread of disease for both homosexuals and heterosexuals alike? Afterall, its not being homosexual that kills them, its the practice of unsafe sex. Think of it as a different kind of "helmet law"

"HELMUT LAW"
Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 AM

Don't forget, we'll have to fund development of condom spec's and mandate testing to meet minimum standards to be indicated by stickers!

And of course we'll have random checks to insure participants are actually using approved condoms...who wants the job?

Mike
Rock Hill, SC

2010 K1300S