I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Postmeister

Re: Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe
An old saying went something like this,'Rules and regulations are to protect the innocent from the unscrupulous and the ignorant from themselves'.

Years ago, one of the beauties of living in AMERICA was the fact you were responsible for your own well being and you had the freedom to do what you pleased so long as you did not harm someone else...then the 'tolerant' liberals took over and began forcing everyone to live how THEY want. Some states still believe in the former.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Postmeister

SINCE THIS POLL WAS ABOUT THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...ALL FOREIGNERS SHOULD REFRAIN FROM OFFERING AN OPINION.

Administrators, please review and remove all votes of non-US citizens....what we do is none of their damned business!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Getting up to speed

Manners ,my boy ,don't cost anything.Where does it say the poll is exclusive?
The following (8) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'defoe' for this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:56 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,655 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebike61
SINCE THIS POLL WAS ABOUT THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...ALL FOREIGNERS SHOULD REFRAIN FROM OFFERING AN OPINION.

Administrators, please review and remove all votes of non-US citizens....what we do is none of their damned business!

Wow...way to dispel the stereo type of an "ugly American".

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'trevorf' for this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Quote:

Hi Mike

With comment like this, perhaps you need to create a new forum only for South Carolina. Apparently your brain has more value than the rest of the world brains...
Old 12-12-2014, 01:10 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,544 Times in 3,222 Posts

Quote:

Mike:

The title of the thread - Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders? -

I know you made the assumption that this was a USA question - but for many of our international members of which their country has states and laws in regard to helmets it was a very natural thing for them to respond as well.

And since we are an international site I for one welcome all the different perspectives that we are fortunate here to share.

So please if you feel the thread is no longer of interest to you or value then don't post in it anymore. I am respectfully asking that you don't take shots at our members.

Thanks

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:

The United States of America has been the self appointed "World Police" since end of WWII. With that said; I think letting "foreigners" weigh in on helmet law is only fair.

I do however very much appreciate your distracting the membership's angst from my sometimes less than Pollyannish pontificating.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR1956
The United States of America has been the self appointed "World Police" since end of WWII. With that said; I think letting "foreigners" weigh in on helmet law is only fair.

I do however very much appreciate your distracting the membership's angst from my sometimes less than Pollyannish pontificating.

We have been the 'world police' since WW-II because of countries like the Soviet Union, China and others. Without our military clout you would all be speaking Karl Marx.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
We have been the 'world police' since WW-II because of countries like the Soviet Union, China and others. Without our military clout you would all be speaking Karl Marx.

Did we need ram our puritanical and hopelessly failed "War on Drugs" down every country's throat? That alone has caused nothing but dissension, contempt for law, and financing of "terrorists" world wide, and total breakdown and government corruption for Mexico.

"If you not with us you're against us"(GW Bush)----Fascism defined!

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Old 12-12-2014, 12:26 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,066 Posts

JoMomma is the location for spouting off your political opinions, NOT ChitChat and certainly not this thread.

Sure, lobbying for motorcyclists' interests is political and the lawmakers charged with this particular law are politicians,
but playing the "ugly American" to a worldwide audience on I-BMW does nothing to aid the conversation about helmets.

ALL forum members, regardless of their country of origin, gender, age or ….whether they have bathed in the last few weeks …are welcome to have a voice in all threads on I-BMW.

Want to fight it out? Take it to Jo & start your own thread.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Muddy1' for this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much Mike! We need to be reminded every once in a while of how thankful we should be for the all knowing USA. I remain your humble servant.

USA!USA!USA!

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'trevorf' for this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

I have flown dozens of riders over the past three and a half years, all trauma victims. Only one of them had been wearing a helmet.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'chilei' for this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilei
I have flown dozens of riders over the past three and a half years, all trauma victims. Only one of them had been wearing a helmet.

Firstly thanks Kyle to use the brake pedal on the above posts ....

IMO that's the point, I mean, don't use helmet if you like to kill yourself or simply you like feel the wind on your head, no matter the cost.
With the same concept, you don't use seat belts because wrinkle my clothes, cancel airbags because is too expensive to replace , or feel the adrenaline to ride at night with the lights off, all of these prohibited by law.

For what there are laws?, because my rights ends when the rights of the others persons starts, I don't like to die because other guy like to live in constant danger, and don't like to pay for all the public services like firefighters, ambulances, police, paramedics that works starting from the accident because he/she decided to die. all of these costs are payed by us, is not fair.

As example in Argentina we have 9000 dead people per year, motorcycle accidents involves more than 50% of them, most of that, 75 % are because the driver or pillion didn't use helmet.

Helmet (DOT approved) use must be mandatory, all over the world...
Old 12-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Postmeister

Quote:

I NEVER said you should not wear ATGATT. I want no law that protects me from me. I don't care if you ride naked at 190 mph and suffer the consequences. It is your ass on the line.

My problem is exactly what NY and the bleeding ass liberals are attempting......no large soft drinks...BAD for you.....

Lets see where this will lead if we continue to cave to the 'protect you from you' crowd'

can't smoke...bad for you...
can't eat fatty foods...bad for you....
let's make everyone exercise 45 minutes per day....
you must floss and brush 3 times a day...
no sky diving....dangerous
no scuba diving....dangerous
no more cars that will run faster than 75 mph...you don't need to drive faster than that
no more motorcycles...period...too dangerous

Yeah, let's allow the nanny state to control everything we do....it's for your own good, you know.

I don't give a damn what other countries do with their citizenry.....I don't and will never live there. People have come to the USA for over 400 years to get away from totalitarian regimes. The less we have some damned politician in our lives, the better off we will all be. I can decide for myself what risks I choose to take and I'll be the one who suffers should things go wrong. I also don't rely on some Joe fuckin Biden type to advise me on how to protect myself from a bad guy and I'll never allow some self proclaimed safety expert such as Nader to preach to me about automobile safety.

Do what you want, live your life as you see fit.....just don't harm mine or me in the process.....and keep your damned nose out of my business.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:05 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Helmet laws will always be political and excite passion and anger. If we citizens of the USA got angry over every restraint being put on our daily lives, this would be a very different country, one I can hardly remember. Odd and even gas line days limited to only a few gallons at a time and a national speed limit of 55, just because Carter screwed-up the economy. Try a motorcycle ride in that environment, I did and it was no fun. Our government was formed to guarantee citizens rights. All I-BMW members should be welcomed to cast a vote on this site. Maybe it will kindle the fires and spark a revolution against oppressive regulations all-around the world. Well maybe that is a bit of a stretch...

No means no. Concede on any issue regarding personal freedoms and the politicians will have a foot in the door. Regulating soft drink intake... really? Look what slop Moochell is making our kids eat. I refuse to give my personal freedom of choice to anyone without a good fight.

My stomach churns and my backside shivers when I look down at the pavement and think of it as a cheese grater. I was the guy in Sturgis wearing his helmet. I don't care what happens to anyone who does not wear a helmet, it's all about me and at times, the lady on the back.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'ZATO' for this post:
Old 12-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:

Sounds like they should protect the stupid from themselves and outlaw motorcycles, as even with a helmet they are super dangerous. Thanks for the nannies for protecting me from myself by outlawing any risk.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'XRx' for this post:
Old 12-14-2014, 05:55 AM
Getting up to speed

Being an octogenarian allows me to dwell on factors that occur over decades;slowly ,but inevitably safety measures are taken up by the majority,that fortunately does protect the minority as well.Power brakes,ABS, linked brakes, traction control ,etc.are gradually being developed by all motor cycle manufacturers.So I guess all the safety measures that reduces injuries and fatalities will endure,including helmets . In my own case several of the above have saved me serious injury.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'defoe' for this post:
Old 12-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Site Contributor

The trump card that government holds is that driving/riding is a "privilege"; not a "Right"!

No matter how unfair, oppressive or blasphemous to individual liberty, freedom and the American way; the public roads were/are built by "government" as well as continuously maintained and upgraded.

Commercially operated race tracks commonly mandate "full Leathers" that are either "one piece" or zip together in back if a 'two piece", as well as an approved "Helmet" if you are going to use their facility. Whether its Willow Springs, Road Atlanta or the State of New York we're operating our vehicles on their property.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 12-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
I NEVER said you should not wear ATGATT. I want no law that protects me from me. I don't care if you ride naked at 190 mph and suffer the consequences. It is your ass on the line.

My problem is exactly what NY and the bleeding ass liberals are attempting......no large soft drinks...BAD for you.....

Lets see where this will lead if we continue to cave to the 'protect you from you' crowd'

can't smoke...bad for you...
can't eat fatty foods...bad for you....
let's make everyone exercise 45 minutes per day....
you must floss and brush 3 times a day...
no sky diving....dangerous
no scuba diving....dangerous
no more cars that will run faster than 75 mph...you don't need to drive faster than that
no more motorcycles...period...too dangerous

Yeah, let's allow the nanny state to control everything we do....it's for your own good, you know.

I don't give a damn what other countries do with their citizenry.....I don't and will never live there. People have come to the USA for over 400 years to get away from totalitarian regimes. The less we have some damned politician in our lives, the better off we will all be. I can decide for myself what risks I choose to take and I'll be the one who suffers should things go wrong. I also don't rely on some Joe fuckin Biden type to advise me on how to protect myself from a bad guy and I'll never allow some self proclaimed safety expert such as Nader to preach to me about automobile safety.

Do what you want, live your life as you see fit.....just don't harm mine or me in the process.....and keep your damned nose out of my business.
i never said laws are or are not okay either I merely stated a factual observation of my experience.

But... We could also easily accept that when a person claims a need to be free of regulation yet that decision affects others, then you are not the only one involved. When you get a head injury because if your choice and my insurance pays for it, then it is not only you involved. This is what I have a hard time with other popular arguments in current events, the people who claim they want government out of their bedrooms only until a decision there is bad, then they want government to force others to pay for it.

As mentioned by others, nothing wrong with no helmet laws while having a law which states that if you aren't wearing it, then you alone are responsible for your health care expenses.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 12-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Postmeister

Quote:

As mentioned by others, nothing wrong with no helmet laws while having a law which states that if you aren't wearing it, then you alone are responsible for your health care expenses.

Research my posts on this subject....i have been a proponent of 'contributory negligence' in tort court for years...sadly, few states that I know of support it. There was an auto wreck in California about 20 years ago where 2 women hit a drunk driver who had run a light. The driver was wearing her shoulder harness and was uninjured whereas the passenger was not belted in, went through the windshield, across the hood of the drunks car and down the road she goes for a bit. Well...she sued and the insurance company put up the defense that HAD she been belted in she too would have been uninjured. The jury agreed and awarded her ZERO.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe
Being an octogenarian allows me to dwell on factors that occur over decades;slowly ,but inevitably safety measures are taken up by the majority,that fortunately does protect the minority as well.Power brakes,ABS, linked brakes, traction control ,etc.are gradually being developed by all motor cycle manufacturers.So I guess all the safety measures that reduces injuries and fatalities will endure,including helmets . In my own case several of the above have saved me serious injury.

Show the law to me where all those high tech accessories are mandated by law? Certainly not in the USA.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR1956
The trump card that government holds is that driving/riding is a "privilege"; not a "Right"!

No matter how unfair, oppressive or blasphemous to individual liberty, freedom and the American way; the public roads were/are built by "government" as well as continuously maintained and upgraded.

Commercially operated race tracks commonly mandate "full Leathers" that are either "one piece" or zip together in back if a 'two piece", as well as an approved "Helmet" if you are going to use their facility. Whether its Willow Springs, Road Atlanta or the State of New York we're operating our vehicles on their property.

There is no such animal as 'GOVERNMENT' money...it is the tax payers money...just as the semi truck that has a sticker claiming 'this truck pays $9000.00 per year in road use taxes'..BULLSHIT...the consumer who buys the products shipped by that company pays those taxes. Taxes are an EXPENSE account...at least they were when I received my degree in accounting.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
....maybe in some communist, socialist nanny state like Argentina...but not here.

And if YOU want all that bullshit in Argentina...fine...you live there...I don't CARE what they do....but I live in America and I do care about my freedoms here...so, what YOU think does not mean a good gaddamn thing HERE.

And here is a news flash for you, son....LIFE IS NOT FARE. Live with it. You live in Argentina and I live in the USA...you have my sympathy.......no you don't.

Mike, Only I like to say this thread is about helmets, you go against me and my country, is a lack of respectful. If you really hate other countries except yours, please don't talk. This is not the place for your comments

Thanks.

As moderator, I ask for the admins to delete all non helmets related post, and political comments because violates the forum rules.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Again I am going to remind everyone this is a helmet discussion. Keep it to that please - if you want to discuss your political views post them in JoMamma. If you want to get into an intense debate bring it there.

If you want to attack anyone or their country of origin - take it someplace else not I-BMW.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 12-15-2014, 01:11 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I wore Simpson 62 full face helmet when I caught a "B29 bug" on the face shield at 60+MPH.

I was barely able to see through the wings, legs and guts even after I smeared some off with my throttle hand.

That was years before the California helmet law. Stay out of court and the ER and you are way ahead.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Again I am going to remind everyone this is a helmet discussion. Keep it to that please - if you want to discuss your political views post them in JoMamma. If you want to get into an intense debate bring it there.

If you want to attack anyone or their country of origin - take it someplace else not I-BMW.

I have to say sometimes Mike takes things a bit far, but I do sympathise with much of his perspective often, and I tend to stand up for right versus wrong, and I'll stand up for one aspect in this point, this thread is not about helmets, is about helmet laws. So how can you discuss helmet laws without discussing politics? Maybe the whole thread should be moved to jo. And maybe some people should get a grip and not get all offended because someone posted something on the internet.

But to call for censoring out a bunch of what other members believed important enough on the thread topic to spend their time communicating in this issue because their feelings can't take it, that's at best intellectual cowardice, self righteous, dictatorial, lots of adjectives come to mind.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
I have to say sometimes Mike takes things a bit far, but I do sympathise with much of his perspective often, and I tend to stand up for right versus wrong, and I'll stand up for one aspect in this point, this thread is not about helmets, is about helmet laws. So how can you discuss helmet laws without discussing politics? Maybe the whole thread should be moved to jo. And maybe some people should get a grip and not get all offended because someone posted something on the internet.

But to call for censoring out a bunch of what other members believed important enough on the thread topic to spend their time communicating in this issue because their feelings can't take it, that's at best intellectual cowardice, self righteous, dictatorial, lots of adjectives come to mind.
Jay:

I'm not going to get into semantics about this thread being about helmets - which it is - or if this thread is about helmet laws - which it is. Can't have one without the other. My point was the thread turned into personal attacks.

I highlighted your statement above

I have no problem with discussions about the laws and our personal views. And you are right if this thread is going to get into heated discussions about politics then maybe it should get moved to JoMamma.

Having opinions and beliefs is absolutely fine but when I read harmful dialogue here - I'm going to ask that it stop - which is exactly what I did - and I was ignored.

And it is not okay to have that dialogue in JoMamma either in my opinion.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 12-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

Having opinions and beliefs is absolutely fine but when I read harmful dialogue here - I'm going to ask that it stop - which is exactly what I did - and I was ignored.

"Ad Hominem attacks are usually the result of those who have lost the argument"---(Pat Buchanan)

I laud spirited debate; but loath epithets and name calling.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

This is simple:
1. This forum is international, intentionally insulting or dismissing a member simply because He/she lives abroad is not polite, it is not productive, and it is not within the forum policies which are designed to welcome others.
2. With #1, it is important to know that many live overseas yet they are American citizens so even then, everyone has a say.
3. This is a thread which walks the balance of politics (jomomma) and motorcycling, it is important for us to remember this and keep it focused.
4. This is not government operated, therefore, censorship is part of keeping the site on point. Everyone agreed to it when you got a log-in, without it, we would not enjoy the popularity and the participation in this site which we enjoy.

Yea, I know this post is off the original topic, but it needed to be said.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'chilei' for this post:
Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Jay:

I'm not going to get into semantics about this thread being about helmets - which it is - or if this thread is about helmet laws - which it is. Can't have one without the other. My point was the thread turned into personal attacks.

I highlighted your statement above

I have no problem with discussions about the laws and our personal views. And you are right if this thread is going to get into heated discussions about politics then maybe it should get moved to JoMamma.

I didn't read some of what Mike wrote, so I can't comment on that..

But I did read bernardo calling for mass censorship, which in my value system is far worse than personal insults.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
I didn't read some of what Mike wrote, so I can't comment on that..

But I did read bernardo calling for mass censorship, which in my value system is far worse than personal insults.
Jay:

We all have opinions and beliefs - we come here to share our experiences - give advice and learn what is going on in(mostly) the motorcycle world.

It is one thing to express to another member you disagree with them but it is an entire different story to directly target that member and his country in a negative way.

Okay let's get back on subject here - the helmet debate.

I posted early in this thread - for me - I think all riders should be mandated to wear a helmet while learning - for example only have a riders permit. All riders under the age of 18 must wear a helmet - and all licensed riders for the first year must wear a helmet.

After that I think it should be up to the rider - my theory most of them will continue to wear a helmet regardless if they have to or not. It becomes a habit second nature - and for many just the fact they are not mandated - then they are good with it because it was their choice.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Jay:

We all have opinions and beliefs - we come here to share our experiences - give advice and learn what is going on in(mostly) the motorcycle world.

It is one thing to express to another member you disagree with them but it is an entire different story to directly target that member and his country in a negative way.

Okay let's get back on subject here - the helmet debate.

I posted early in this thread - for me - I think all riders should be mandated to wear a helmet while learning - for example only have a riders permit. All riders under the age of 18 must wear a helmet - and all licensed riders for the first year must wear a helmet.

After that I think it should be up to the rider - my theory most of them will continue to wear a helmet regardless if they have to or not. It becomes a habit second nature - and for many just the fact they are not mandated - then they are good with it because it was their choice.

There is such an important aspect of this sadly absent from this entire debate, and Bruce, no offense, but I'll pick on you a bit here. Should this be a state law? Should it be a worldwide law? Federal? Do you really think that you a being living in Massachusetts should dictate what a person say in the Philippines should wear on his head? In Alaska? In New Hampshire? I'm actually not against areas where I don't live having these laws, none of my business what they choose fir themselves. Though in my state I would legalize helmet choice, then I world still choose a helmet.

Beyond that, I think you're not into open face helmets, what about open face helmets, is that okay with you? Would you also mandate back pad and leathers and atgatt? What if it's all up to the timid who thinks motorcycles at all are an unnecessary risk and limit engine size or outlaw bikes all together in the US, are they not as justified as you?

I'd much rather keep my freedom thanks, so I'll not be for say outlawing contact sports, freestyle motorcycling, recreational scuba and sky diving, just because they are more risky than I choose to enjoy.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Jay:

I really think everyone during the learning process should wear a helmet and then after that it should be that individuals choice.

I certainly can't and I'm not in the position to mandate worldwide laws.

The question should all states make helmets mandatory - which I'm speaking all states/countries - my answer stands.

Of course there are countries that have such remote areas lack of support that these types of rules will never even trickle down to them.

Personally I will always wear a helmet disregarding if I'm in a state/country that requires the use of one or not.

I do wear full face helmets - I don't have an issue during the learning process if the new rider wears an open face helmet.

This debate will go on long after we have ridden our last ride.

Just a quick twist for you Jay - should hockey players have to wear a helmet? If you are against this policy and believe it you should then stop playing hockey.

It all depends on the situation my friend and what you believe is important to you.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 12-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Jay:

I really think everyone during the learning process should wear a helmet and then after that it should be that individuals choice.

I certainly can't and I'm not in the position to mandate worldwide laws.

The question should all states make helmets mandatory - which I'm speaking all states/countries - my answer stands.

Of course there are countries that have such remote areas lack of support that these types of rules will never even trickle down to them.

Personally I will always wear a helmet disregarding if I'm in a state/country that requires the use of one or not.

I do wear full face helmets - I don't have an issue during the learning process if the new rider wears an open face helmet.

This debate will go on long after we have ridden our last ride.

Just a quick twist for you Jay - should hockey players have to wear a helmet? If you are against this policy and believe it you should then stop playing hockey.

It all depends on the situation my friend and what you believe is important to you.

The governments doesn't and shouldn't force helmets in any ball sports, you are saying they should?

And Bruce, it really surprised me that you are so pro forcing someone to wear a helmet fir their own good considering h how much you admittedly ride your way overpowered sport bike like the public roads are your personal race track. Maybe we need more laws to protect you from yourself, since you obviously are not able to judge correctly for yourself.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
The governments doesn't and shouldn't force helmets in any ball sports, you are saying they should?

And Bruce, it really surprised me that you are so pro forcing someone to wear a helmet fir their own good considering h how much you admittedly ride your way overpowered sport bike like the public roads are your personal race track. Maybe we need more laws to protect you from yourself, since you obviously are not able to judge correctly for yourself.
Jay:

I asked you your opinion -

should hockey players have to wear a helmet? If you are against this policy and believe it you should then stop playing hockey.

I did not say or mention anything about the government forcing sporting teams to wear helmets.

Jay I simply answered the question what I thought about helmet laws and gave you my honest opinion.

In regard to me riding fast on the street - there are laws protecting drivers/riders from other drivers/riders that can't obey the laws or control themselves. And I freely accept the consequences for my actions.

Look I ride fast - should I - no not on the street - should take it to the race track. If there is a way of being smart about it I do try.

And many riders here can't check the I never go over the speed limit box. Doesn't make any of us right - that is a question for another poll.

As I said ultimately I believe in the rider having the choice to wear a helmet or not - but in the learning stages I think it would be of great value to start out wearing a helmet.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Jay:

As I said ultimately I believe in the rider having the choice to wear a helmet or not - but in the learning stages I think it would be of great value to start out wearing a helmet.

Ya Know? They have the space to embed an electronic tracking chip in the current drivers license. Why can't they simply include the date of original motorcycle endorsement and have a 3 year "probation" where wearing a helmet is mandatory.

Actuarial table statistics drop like an anvil with riders with 4 or more years experience. But it would be naive to think that the insurance industry is going to loosen its vast and omnipresent control over the populace one fraction.
Until the late 1980's one could ride sans helmet in California. A Republican governor who promised "getting government off our backs" for his election promptly signed a helmet law into effect soon after taking office. The insurance industry was a heavy contributor to his campaign.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Old 01-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Site Contributor

The results of this poll are interesting given the independant nature of the membership here. From reading these i-bmw threads for several years it is clear that folks generally advocate for less governement interference in their lives. Yet, more than 50% of us think there should be a law requiring the use of helmets (and that question in the poll implies that it would be a federal law). In contrast, only 22% think it should be a decision left to the individual. Now that's interesting.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 01-13-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
In contrast, only 22% think it should be a decision left to the individual. Now that's interesting.

Hi Bobby

Is correct, also I like to add my $0,02, if happened to you at least once a life when your helmet saved your life, I'm sure you wear helmet, no matter what laws says
Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 PM
Site Contributor

I do wear one even though Montana does not require one for adults. In fact, I wear one for every sport: bicycles, skiing, hockey, rock climbing and sometime even rafting. I took a simple fall skiing last week and really rang my bell. Glad I had the helmet. Maybe it's because my parents always made us wear them, but I think it's really just makes intuitive sense. With that said I would never vote to create a law to require helmets. People should be able to make up their own minds whether to wear one or not.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 AM

Interesting observation, Bobby, about the contradiction between the general tendencies of the forum members and the overall response to this poll. There are probably multiple factors accounting for this.

(Again, I am with you regarding the prudence of wearing a lid as opposed to the government mandate.)

Tyson
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM

We don't have a helmet requirement here in New Hampshire, nor do we have an insurance requirement. Yet, surprise, most people have insurance and wear helmets responsibility.

It's called personal responsibility, and it works if people are properly educated about the benefit's of same. It's not about safety, or public good--those arguments are a red herring.

If you live in a big, over-populate state, and have abrogated your personal rights due to voting for nanny-state politicians (or not voting at all), then you get what you deserve.

Politicians will take advantage of public ignorance to increase revenues to the state's general fund (read Union Pension Fund).

Question: What's the fine in your state for not carrying insurance?
Question: What's the fine for not having a helmet on?
Question: Can you be stopped for not riding with a helmet regardless of any other offense?

If the answer is that you can be stopped, and if the fines are excessive, then the state is using the Police to collect excessive taxes and fees.

New Hampshire state motto: "Live Free or Die"
See the "Marrakesh Express (Note: Pictures now at bottom of thread):" http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=53497

'74 R90/6 -> '76 R90S -> '85 K100RT -> '98 K1200RS
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'AJ Valente' for this post:
XRx
Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Valente
We don't have a helmet requirement here in New Hampshire, nor do we have an insurance requirement. Yet, surprise, most people have insurance and wear helmets responsibility.

It's called personal responsibility, and it works if people are properly educated about the benefit's of same. It's not about safety, or public good--those arguments are a red herring.

If you live in a big, over-populate state, and have abrogated your personal rights due to voting for nanny-state politicians (or not voting at all), then you get what you deserve.

Politicians will take advantage of public ignorance to increase revenues to the state's general fund (read Union Pension Fund).

Question: What's the fine in your state for not carrying insurance?
Question: What's the fine for not having a helmet on?
Question: Can you be stopped for not riding with a helmet regardless of any other offense?

If the answer is that you can be stopped, and if the fines are excessive, then the state is using the Police to collect excessive taxes and fees.

New Hampshire state motto: "Live Free or Die"

1-◦driving without insurance: $598 – consisting of a fine of $520 plus a victim surcharge of $78
2-$138
3-well if it is against the law to ride without a helmet, then of course you can you stopped by police. That would be the "offence". lol

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 AM
Getting up to speed

I think the wearing of a helmet or not is often heavily influenced by the perceived image we are trying to purvey.
Those of us who ride sports bikes look to our heroes' (Rossi, Marquez or whoever) who wear helmets when we see them in action. To be honest riding a sports bike without a helmet just looks stupid, the helmet is a crucial part of the image, usually colour coded to your leathers which is coded to your bike etc.
Sports bike riders wear gear that has developed from the early days of racing because it is best for purpose, i.e. it protects you and means you can get up and race again if you come off.
Those who ride cruisers try to cultivate a totally different image, cruiser riders look to Brando, Fonda, Schwarzenegger for their image cues. The clothing is purely influenced by 'Hollywood' fakery. Common sense would dictate wearing full race gear even on a cruiser but I once saw a guy wearing full red & white race leathers riding along on a black and chrome Yamaha cruiser, just didn't look right at all, certainly not 'cool'. We don't really have much of a cruiser following here in the U.K, we don't have those long sunlit highways and riding along the A1 through Peterborough it'd be hard to imagine feeling as cool as riding with the wind in your hair along the pacific highway.

It's been law here to wear helmets from way back so I can't say I've ever ridden without one so I can't have an appreciation whether it feels good or not. For me the thought of ending up a spoon fed dribbling vegetable has always been enough of an incentive to wear the helmet, fashionable, lawful or not.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman
.... fashionable.....

Definitely is a crucial point, at least in this woman

Old 05-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Getting up to speed

Oh dear! An ambulance officer told me some time ago that wearing a full face helmet was significantly safer to wear than open face.A face sliding along coarse bitumen surface will lead to shocking injuries and years of painful skin grafts etc.Definitely rules out beauty parades.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'defoe' for this post:
Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

I question the argument of medical expense as a reason to mandate helmets. If it was the case then we would be talking about auto drivers being forced to wear helmets as the shear number of injuries and vast amounts of money to be saved would dwarf any numbers on motorcycling. Yes cars are safer, doors, seatbelts, etc, but a huge number of fatalities and head injuries happen anyway. So if money and lives are the main reason then it needs to apply to cars too as the real savings would be there. I wear a helmet all the time, usually more gear than that. But I do not believe government mandate should force it. Under legal age, sure. Insurance breaks for wearing a helmet, yup. Used against you in court for not wearing one, sure.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Site Contributor

I wonder if those who oppose wearing a helmet also oppose wearing a seatbelt... Do they also oppose the government regulating the food industry, building code and consumer protection?
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current

Old 07-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Postmeister

An argument I heard for seatbelts was they may hold you in place and help you avoid an accident. Helmets do their thing after an accident, with no preventive help. Food safety and others are there to prevent issues to people who have no say in the matter. I am very pro helmet and wear them and other gear, but more than that I am pro individual rights to make choices, no matter how dumb they may be, if it hurts no one else. I get nervous when the government shows up and says I am here to help you. They tend to screw things up.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
An argument I heard for seatbelts was they may hold you in place and help you avoid an accident. Helmets do their thing after an accident, with no preventive help. Food safety and others are there to prevent issues to people who have no say in the matter. I am very pro helmet and wear them and other gear, but more than that I am pro individual rights to make choices, no matter how dumb they may be, if it hurts no one else. I get nervous when the government shows up and says I am here to help you. They tend to screw things up.

The point I made wasn't neccesary about how the systems worked, but about that so called "nanny state" and refusing safety and regulation imposed by the state(s). Pretty sure that many who oppose manadatory helmet see no problem with mandatory seatbelt. Therefore, the "nanny state" excuse no longer applies if one accepts one obligation, and not the other. ;-)
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current

Old 07-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Lee
The point I made wasn't neccesary about how the systems worked, but about that so called "nanny state" and refusing safety and regulation imposed by the state(s). Pretty sure that many who oppose manadatory helmet see no problem with mandatory seatbelt. Therefore, the "nanny state" excuse no longer applies if one accepts one obligation, and not the other. ;-)
I understand, but it is a tuff line of where to accept and where to not. At some point I question what we are doing to the gene pool when we protect too many inbreds and not only allow them to breed, but pay them. The warning on the hair dryer that says " do not use in shower" should be removed. We want that lady to use it in the shower and stop those genes from being passed down. A nanny state protects the morons, there by watering down the "better" genes.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Shooting the gap

Using all the same logic/ criteria for MANDATING helmet laws for your own good , we should also mandate / restrict , alcohol / cigarettes / high fatty foods / high sodium intake / skateboards / bicycles / trampolines / stupidity / Skydiving......see where I'm going with this ? Should we knock the double bacon chees burger out of the obese persons hand because he has no health insurance and WE will have to pay for his quadruple by-pass surgery??? Where does one stop ? ....It all boils down to $$. States mandate seat belt use because the insurance companies save $$, and lobby for their use, not because they are concerned with your wellbeing. I don't profess to have the answers...just sayn'. We all seem to have to pay for other peoples poor choices........Rant Over.

P.S. My life was saved by my Arai helmet so I wouldn't ride without one, mandate or not.

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too tired to fight he'll just shoot you.
I'm the first guy you see when you come to after saying "Hold my beer and watch this !"
Old 08-28-2015, 12:30 AM

Slothfulness kills ! Mandatory P.E. for all people of all ages! Big Brother will be gathering everyone together tomorrow at 6:00a.m. No exceptions. No whining. Just do it! It takes a village. If it just saves one life, it's worth it.
Tyson
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 10-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Site Contributor

yes
Old 10-07-2015, 12:53 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via Skype™ to danfinazzo

Nothing going on to night - so let's start this all over.

No helmet, okay, so lets take off the protective jackets, gloves, pants and lastly no glasses.
Yea ride down the road - on the highway, in the daytime and in the nighttime with no
glasses ever. Yep in many states is the law that you must wear glasses when riding a
motorcycle. Don't like that law well take them off and just ride - ride to your hearts
content because that the way you like it - ain't no one going to tell you to wear glasses.
Why bother wearing glasses anyway. No helmets or glasses for me I am in charge of my
life . . . and no governmental official is going to tell me what I can and cannot do. You do
know riding motorcycles is an inherently unsafe act.

BTW I have no vested interested is selling glasses, no financial gain in this comment, I am
not an eye surgeon and could care less if you wear glasses or helmets for that matter but
the idiots in government have the right to pass a law that you should wear them for your
safety and the public's safety.

Of course you could take off your glasses when welding, grinding metal or doing wood
working as well - hey there's no law that says you need to wear them!

Rant off . . . and good evening!!

Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 AM
Site Contributor

Who was/is Admin?
He's RED so I guess he's really staff.
just wondering
Old 01-09-2016, 02:44 AM

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
Old 01-09-2016, 11:23 AM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
JoMomma is the location for spouting off your political opinions, NOT ChitChat and certainly not this thread.

ALL forum members, regardless of their country of origin, gender, age or ….whether they have bathed in the last few weeks …are welcome to have a voice in all threads on I-BMW.

Not necessarily - I've recently seen a thread where a "supermoderator" chastised a few people for actually posting thoughts on a poll - their offense? - ignoring his red lettered INSTRUCTION to not post any words...

Time to go... Enough "spouting," I wouldn't want to be that "ugly American" - probably too late, anyway

'05 K12 S - KIA 6/21/11
'04 Ducati 999 - traded
'07 R1200 GS - sold
'99 R1100 S - traded
'05 K12 S - traded
'11 K13 S Magma Red - traded
'16 R1200 GSW Triple Black - traded
'16 K13 S MotorSport
Old 01-09-2016, 02:35 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,214 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthegrass
Not necessarily - I've recently seen a thread where a "supermoderator" chastised a few people for actually posting thoughts on a poll - their offense? - ignoring his red lettered INSTRUCTION to not post any words...

Time to go... Enough "spouting," I wouldn't want to be that "ugly American" - probably too late, anyway
Ken, you're freaking hilarious!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 04-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Getting up to speed

No!

The freedom not to wear a helmet helps improve the specie. Read Darwin.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Twisted Wrister

No, individual rights.