I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Re: How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes

I hate to be a pain but in this thread, there appears to be two possible front caliper speed bleeders: an SB8125 (8m x 1.25) and a SB8100 (8m x 1.0). These would seem incompatible. Any suggestions before I order them, take out the old valve and then find I have the wrong size!!!!
'67- '70 1959 BSA Bantam
Old 04-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Twisted Wrister

I purchased a spare factory bleeder for my '04 KRS and the part # is: 34 21 2 330 310. Can you run that number on one of the many on-line parts fiches?
'08 Triumph Sprint ST(new ride)
Old 04-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried getting the dealer to check and all the 'microfiche' or whatever says is 8mm. Great. Judging by the statements above I think I will go with SB8125
'67- '70 1959 BSA Bantam
Old 04-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,833 Times in 2,821 Posts

The front and rear speed bleeders are different, the rear being smaller. I got mine from Aerostitch, here's link, per their website, the proper ordering sizes are based upon their catalog numbers are,

1996 BMW’s and after use #4964 (front) & #4970 (rear),

http://www.aerostich.com/speed-bleeders.html

if you follow the instructions at the beginning of the thread, the job is readily doable, but a bit time consuming and easier done with two people, although I did it by myself without too much difficulty.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Twisted Wrister

Don't really know what part numbers you guys are using. But according to the Hammersly BMW microfiche at: www.webparts.com the Type 41 KGT or KRS uses the same bleeder screw #34 21 2 330 310 for front or rear caliper and I believe in the clutch bleeder adaptor.
So, if you can be sure of your Speedbleeder part number in one location, it will work at the other end.
'08 Triumph Sprint ST(new ride)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

When I went to put the speed bleeder in the filler adapter, fluid leaked through the threads. it felt pretty tight, and I didn't want to over torque it. I did this after skipping the clutch fluid flush and not reading the part about "filing down the conical tip". I don't see a scribe line in the tip. Well, I do, but it's more than halfway up the tip and I'm sure that's not what I'm supposed to do. Is the point the reason it the speed bleeder didn't screw in enough to make a seal? I would think that you need SOME sort of narrow point on it to push down the ball check valve.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

I do believe that you've got to take the point off of that speed bleeder. I just used a file and took about 1/32 of an inch off to flatten the end of the speed bleeder and it worked as described. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Site Contributor

I am the cheap type. I use only one speed bleeder to assist with bleeding of brakes, clutch etc. One bleeder for everything around the house that has brakes and hydraulic clutches. The conical end is filed off to allow fluid to enter since the hole located on the side is covered by the silicone hose. The bleeder is the smallest available. I believe it is PN: SB6100 (6mm dia. by 1mm thread pitch)

Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Site Contributor

^^ Nice work. Simple, cheap and very effective.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 PM

I invented my own little tool for bleeding the front and rear integral bleeders. I've never done ANYTHING like this before, so it isn't perfect, but I consider it a huge success.

I took a 7mm wrench with both open and closed ends. I put the wrench in a vice and with a little plumber's torch from Lowes, I heated the end, lowered it down in the vice grip and with locking pliers, I grabbed the end and bent it down partially. Raised it up in the vice, and repeated until the end was close to 90˚. I used a hammer to get it close to 90˚. I did the same to the other end and then I bent the wrench at the middle to 90˚.

This way I have both open and closed ends and I don't need to weld a socket onto it or use pliers for leverage to turn the wrench. I just grab the half of the wrench that's sticking up and turn it like a lever. I will add though that if the wrench is too long, the end you're not using may clunk into the pump's top making it awkward or impossible to maneuver the end you are using into the rear integral bleeder. My wrench was very thin and about 4" long. The process took about 15 minutes.

I hope someone out there like me (with zero welding, fabrication skills) may find this useful. Trying to angle an standard open end wrench to twist the bleeder an 1/8 turn at a time is a total PITA.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Entering the on-ramp

HI Everybody,

I'm new to this thread and am considering tackling this brake bleeding job. I would never considering doing this brake job without these detailed instructions found on this thread. I was just checking the speed bleeder website and they list 6 speed bleeders for the ABS unit:

http://www.speedbleeder.com/Motorcycle%20Sizes.htm

As I haven't touched my bike yet, can somebody provide some insight as to which ABS circuits use which size speed bleeders? There are two sizes SB7100 and SB7100S. I guess the "S" version is a tad shorter and have no idea which two circuits (F1,F2,F3, R1,R2 or R3) use the longer ones.

So far from the posts, it seems that everyone is using the factory bleeders. Is it a bad idea to upgrade the bleeders on the ABS circuits to speed bleeders and just leave them attached? Thanks guys.

Ed
Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sessna
I invented my own little tool for bleeding the front and rear integral bleeders. I've never done ANYTHING like this before, so it isn't perfect, but I consider it a huge success.

Nicely done - what was the source of the wrench? I expect that different manufacturers use different sizes and as the fit is so tight in there it might make a difference.

Also, I know that at least as far as the '02 and newer KRS/KGT "brick" engine bikes the front bleeders and rear bleeders are different sizes. I changed over to speed bleeders and it made the job, which is a PITA, somewhat easier. Sorry, I don't remember the sizes, Aerostich is a good source, http://www.aerostich.com/speed-bleeders.html
Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Nicely done - what was the source of the wrench? I expect that different manufacturers use different sizes and as the fit is so tight in there it might make a difference.

I got the wrench from an auto parts store called Auto Quest. The closed end of the wrench did not need to be grounded down at all.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Shooting the gap

I replaced my bleeder screws with SpeedBleeders then used the BeemerBoneyard funnel and Gary Hollinger's instructions to bleed the brakes on my '04GT. What precipitated this was the alternating ABS flashing lights, which has happened once or twice before and was always resolved by adding fluid. Well, I had a sidecar installed on the bike and they tied the SC brake into the rear caliper (very neatly, I might add) but in the process tripped the flashing ABS light syndrome. I had the dealer check the code, which they told me was "low brake fluid but not at the reservoir". They cleared the code multiple times but it kept returning almost immediately. I'm scheduled to bring the bike in for service in 2 weeks but thought I'd try bleeding the brakes myself.

I bled the system thoroughly, used nearly a quart of brake fluid, and disconnected the battery for 15min or so. On startup I had no immediate flashing ABS lights but within a minute or two they returned. All fluid levels look OK at the reservoirs. Is it possible to for the fluid to be low at the ABS unit and not get completely filled again during a bleed? Any other suggestions to try? I have a good dealer to take it to, but their service dept is swamped right now and I'm planning a trip to CO next week and would like to get this issue cleared up.
Thanks,

GTRider
Old 07-29-2010, 12:32 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by siclmn
Yes, anyone can bleed their brakes, yeah right.
Thank God my 2008 GT has the new non-servo Teves ABS system. You bleed it the same way you bleed a non-ABS system... simple!

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider
I bled the system thoroughly, used nearly a quart of brake fluid, and disconnected the battery for 15min or so. On startup I had no immediate flashing ABS lights but within a minute or two they returned. All fluid levels look OK at the reservoirs. Is it possible to for the fluid to be low at the ABS unit and not get completely filled again during a bleed? Any other suggestions to try? I have a good dealer to take it to, but their service dept is swamped right now and I'm planning a trip to CO next week and would like to get this issue cleared up.
Thanks,

GTRider

I did a full flush on my bike last year, on my test ride the light did come on after 15 miles or so, low fluid level...I topped the rear reservoir,kept going and again the light came on after another 50 miles or so. Topped the rear again and since then it never came on in 18,000 miles. So Yes I think it is possible that it may take a little while for the fluid levels to equalise in the system, same thing happened to someone else too.

Go for a ride, take some fluid with you and see what happens.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Site Contributor

I have done this bleed several times, never experienced any problems. I have always followed the procedure outlined in the BMW CD. If you need to add fluid during or after your test ride then you are not doing something correctly during the process. Sorry if this sounds harsh. Review the procedure you are using vs. the BMW recommended practice.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
I have done this bleed several times, never experienced any problems. I have always followed the procedure outlined in the BMW CD. If you need to add fluid during or after your test ride then you are not doing something correctly during the process. Sorry if this sounds harsh. Review the procedure you are using vs. the BMW recommended practice.

I had a HUGE issue and am still having issues with this procedure, which I outlined in this post: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=30186

My problems stemmed from seeping at the bleeder threads and tightening the bleeders to stop the seeping without stripping threads or worse... which happened to me.

In the middle of my problems, I installed a used ABS pump. During a test ride I did have my fluid levels drop drastically which was probably due to things still needing to sort itself out in my previously dry brake lines and ABS pump. Maybe it gobbled up fluid because there was large pockets of air still in the pump.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Does anyone have an idea of how much fluid sits in the brke lines and ABS pump and needs to be flushed out?

I had to replace by ABS pump with a used one. I bought two bottles of cheapo CarQuest fluid to waste getting fluid through the lines and pump. I then sucked it out of all three reservoirs and bled Amsoil ($13.50 a bottle) DOT 4. I was afraid of running out of fluid before I was finished, so I wasn't pumping over and over and over. I couldn't tell what fluid coming out was the cheap stuff and what was the good stuff because they're the same color. I pumped quite a bit through the wheel circuits because of how much flies through when the pump is running. But the bleeders at the ABS pump were a different story. Pretty hard to really get a good amount of fluid through. Maybe 6-10 inches would fill my drain tube.

I ended up with about a 1/3 of a 12oz bottle left. I'm hoping that there isn't a whole lot of fluid in the lines or the pump and that most of the fluid is in the reservoirs. I don't like the thought of there being too much of that cheap crap in my brake system!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Entering the on-ramp

"Grub Screw

Inside the filler adapter behind the grub screw on the end is a check ball valve. The valve only allows fluid/air to flow into the hose (factory fill). To get fluid out in a clean, tidy manner we need to install a Speed bleeder (SB1010S). The Speed bleeder conical tip has a line scribed on it. File down the point to create a flat tip, but do not file beyond the scribed line. Now remove the grub screw and install the Speed bleeder until seated, have plenty of towels handy just in case. Take your time and DO NOT cross thread or strip the filler adapter"

Can somebody provide a little more explanation on the above? I'm not sure how much to file down the speed bleeder tip. I don't see any line inscribed on the tip. Pic of the SB1010S speed bleeder below. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edshen
"Grub Screw

Inside the filler adapter behind the grub screw on the end is a check ball valve. The valve only allows fluid/air to flow into the hose (factory fill). To get fluid out in a clean, tidy manner we need to install a Speed bleeder (SB1010S). The Speed bleeder conical tip has a line scribed on it. File down the point to create a flat tip, but do not file beyond the scribed line. Now remove the grub screw and install the Speed bleeder until seated, have plenty of towels handy just in case. Take your time and DO NOT cross thread or strip the filler adapter"

Can somebody provide a little more explanation on the above? I'm not sure how much to file down the speed bleeder tip. I don't see any line inscribed on the tip. Pic of the SB1010S speed bleeder below. Thanks.

Where did this filing off the end idea come from? Never heard of it and never resorted to it. I use a regular BMW sourced bleed nipple. Dimensionally the Speed Bleeder and BMW nipple must be the same to open the ball check valve and also get shut off .

During the bleeding process the standard bleed nipple is opened a 1/2 turn or so to get fluid out, then closed to prevent air in leakage. This is repeated several times until the fluid is clear and no bubbles are present.The speed bleeder works the same with the exception of repeated opening and closing of the nipple, which is taken care of by the built in check valve.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edshen
"Grub Screw

Where did this filing off the end idea come from? Never heard of it and never resorted to it. I use a regular BMW sourced bleed nipple. Dimensionally the Speed Bleeder and BMW nipple must be the same to open the ball check valve and also get shut off .

During the bleeding process the standard bleed nipple is opened a 1/2 turn or so to get fluid out, then closed to prevent air in leakage. This is repeated several times until the fluid is clear and no bubbles are present.The speed bleeder works the same with the exception of repeated opening and closing of the nipple, which is taken care of by the built in check valve.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 AM
ZNAM
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
I use a regular BMW sourced bleed nipple.
Me too.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Was not me!

Have a welder and torch, will help anyone in my are build one of the special wrenches shown above

Redman
Fairfax or Bumpass VA areas
Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,108 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Found an Excellent PDF

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 PM
2013 Member of the Year

My God, after reading this thread again, and seeing how crazy-complex it is to bleed these servo brakes, I'm really glad I waited until Teves (ABS IV) system was released before buying my 08 GT! It simply bleeds like any normal (non-ABS) brake system.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Getting up to speed

So I think I've read most if not all the threads regarding flushing/bleeding the brakes/clutch on the RS and if this question is addressed somewhere else, sorry in advance. But, I've seen the question asked but not really answered - what speedbleeders go where on the ABS unit (for an '03 K1200RS). The Speedbleeder application chart specifies 6 speedbleeders for the ABS unit, 2 SB7100 and 4 SB7100S, but the chart doesn't specify where. Further, there doesn't appear to an obvious difference between the 7100 and 7100S. And just to make sure you all know my head is totally up and locked, it looks like it will/would be a real PITA to replace the 2 long-necked stock bleed nipples facing aft on the ABS unit with short speedbleeders - having some real second thoughts about those. I know, there's several questions in there . . . I'd be happy just to know what speedbleeders go where

You want it bad, you get it bad . . .
Old 11-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Welcome to the site, and candidly, I've not heard of anyone using speed bleeder on the ABS unit. As long as you've got the funky tool, you can readily deal with the ABS unit bleeding fairly readily by opening and closing the valves on the unit as you bleed it. Hope that helps.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:11 AM
Twisted Wrister

Regarding the squirt that comes from the handlebar reservoir every time you pull the brake/clutch handle while the cover is off:

Put a clean coin into the reservoir and let it cover the small hole. This diverts the tiny squirt.
(It's actually not my original idea, I got it from somewhere else in this forum)

Needless to say you need to remove the coin when done.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
So I think I've read most if not all the threads regarding flushing/bleeding the brakes/clutch on the RS and if this question is addressed somewhere else, sorry in advance. But, I've seen the question asked but not really answered - what speedbleeders go where on the ABS unit (for an '03 K1200RS). The Speedbleeder application chart specifies 6 speedbleeders for the ABS unit, 2 SB7100 and 4 SB7100S, but the chart doesn't specify where. Further, there doesn't appear to an obvious difference between the 7100 and 7100S. And just to make sure you all know my head is totally up and locked, it looks like it will/would be a real PITA to replace the 2 long-necked stock bleed nipples facing aft on the ABS unit with short speedbleeders - having some real second thoughts about those. I know, there's several questions in there . . . I'd be happy just to know what speedbleeders go where
The whole job can be done without Speed Bleeders. If you can't live without Speed Bleeders look at post # 68.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Getting up to speed

So, I flushed the fluid through my '03 RS brake and clutch circuits - it took me awhile but I'm slow. I've got the BMW maintenance CD and the Clymer manual and I have to say that had I used only those I would have made a mess of it.

I used Gary's outstanding instructions (thank you) with input from CJS350 regarding speedbleeders and clutch fluid (thank you) and Herb's clever speedbleeder adapter (thank you). Lee's pictures also helped (thanks). I ended up with speedbleeders installed at the calipers and left the ABS unit as is. I also used Knutk's coin trick (thank you) but woke up that night remembering I'd forgotten to remove the coin - so off came the cover and out came the quarter - yes was tempted but the cover comes off so easily . . . It's a great trick but next time I'll put some sort of flag to remind me.

Thanks to you all - what a great resource this is. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in some small way eventually.

DJ

You want it bad, you get it bad . . .
Old 11-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

One thing that surprised me after I completed the flush/bleed. I had ridden the bike a bit after the procedure and all was well. I then headed off on a weekend trip and at my first night's destination, about 300 miles from home I shut the bike and spent some time talking with a friend. When I started the bike the flashing lights stayed on after I rode off. Took me a moment of a survey, but the rear reservoir was low on fluid. Got some fresh fluid, topped off the reservoir, and all was well.

I wouldn't worry about it, but just keep an eye on the fluid levels for the first few hundred miles. I say this simply based upon my experience.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Why can't you make a little adapter to replace the grub screw and power bleed backwards into the reservoirs? Seems like it should work as that is how the factory fills them, if I understand it correctly.
Jeff
Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdecort@hotmail.com
Why can't you make a little adapter to replace the grub screw and power bleed backwards into the reservoirs? Seems like it should work as that is how the factory fills them, if I understand it correctly.
Jeff

BMW has a "very special" tool for that, refilling parts of the system from the caliper. I think that technique is required to prevent the "Low level warning light" from coming on later after a system bleed, Yes I did get caught once. They are somewhet specific on that, at least on some of their "never posted anywhere else" instructions I may just have here. There are hints as to that procedure in Gary's instructions, no technique specified but most of that is in the BMW shop manual anyway.

I'd have to look up the price of that special tool someday and compare with mine.

Power bleed backward....you got it, that's in the plans for me....may happen someday when I really feel the need to make other special tools. In the meantime the big Syringue will do just fine.

Look up BMW Special Tool 90 886 342 551 if you can, the Bubble Free Injector.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by siclmn
Yes, anyone can bleed their brakes, yeah right.

I'm currently in the process of proving/disproving that statement.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM
stays crispy in milk

I did the full service on my 04 K1200RS several times. I knocked out a tool from a box end wrench and a 1/4" drive socket but if you don't feel like welding the "bent wrench" solution looks equally effective. The directions that were posted up are spot on so it really just amounts to a nuts and bolts type of operation.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I'm new to this site. Thanks for the reminders, but I've been unable to reply till now.
I've had my 2002 model K12RS since December last year. I normally do my own servicing, and plan to do the brakes & clutch. This system is so complex! The instructions by Gary are marvelously detailed.
How do I get a hold of the BMW CD from which some of the detail was collected?
I would also like to understand what I am doing while following this procedure. Is there a hydraulic schematic available of the brake and clutch circuits including the inside of the modulator?

TONY
Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Site Contributor

This also works as a substitute for the BMW tool. Use the standard 1/4" drive 7 mm socket for the initial loosening and final tightening of the bleed nipples and the ground down socket for the opening and closing during the bleed process. This allows for use of extensions, flex drive etc. One draw back is the the bolt for the fill connection has to be removed and connection with the associated tubing moved upward a 1/16" to clear the standard socket. There is sufficient flex in the tubing without doing any harm.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I was pretty scared of attempting a front brake bleed on my 2004 K12GT and must have read Gary's instruction 10 times before going into my garage. I felt like I was about to attempt to perform brain surgery. The initial flush produced some black brake fluid and it took me a while to get the hang of bleeding without letting the front brake resevoir under the seat run empty. As a result of this the system got a really good flushing out. Gary's instructions worked perfectly, thanks Gary!
P.S. I did the job without speedbleeders, my wife assisted me in theatre.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Anybody tackling the brake bleed that needs the tools for the ABS unit, Gary, the fellow who created the excellent tutorial, no longer owns the bike he used for the tutorial, and gave the tools he created for the project to me. If anyone would like to borrow one, just drop me a PM and I'll send it out to you - just as long as you return it when you're done,

Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I think, like Chas, I will be reading Gary's procedure many more times before I carry out this surgery. I have just ordered the speed bleeders and funnel. I plan to fabricate a "special tool" for the bleed nipple similar to those shown in these threads, only with a T handle instead of using a socket wrench. My wife has assisted with vehicle surgery and brake bleeds many times, although this one is pretty special. I'm confident the patient will be back in action shortly after. I'll update.

Tony
Old 03-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYZ
I think, like Chas, I will be reading Gary's procedure many more times before I carry out this surgery. I have just ordered the speed bleeders and funnel. I plan to fabricate a "special tool" for the bleed nipple similar to those shown in these threads, only with a T handle instead of using a socket wrench. My wife has assisted with vehicle surgery and brake bleeds many times, although this one is pretty special. I'm confident the patient will be back in action shortly after. I'll update.

Tony

If you remove the screw that holds the top brake line to the ABS module there is enough movement in the line to remove the OEM bleed screw and install the speed bleeder. I did not install the speed bleeders in place of the 2 long bleed screws because it was easier to work with the long ones. Once the speed bleeders were in place it took about 1 hour to bleed EVERYTHING. Beats paying the dealer hundreds of dollars.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Site Contributor

Thanks for the resurrection of this thread! Reminds me that I DO need to do this. As much as I'm not wanting to do this it's needs to be done and I;m scared I'll F something up! I've done the calipers but not the ABS unit so wish me luck. Just the bent wrench with a socket welded on it for special tools?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

brakes done
home made funnel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patent1.jpg (74.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg patent2.jpg (50.2 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirsty 1
Thanks for the resurrection of this thread! Reminds me that I DO need to do this. As much as I'm not wanting to do this it's needs to be done and I;m scared I'll F something up! I've done the calipers but not the ABS unit so wish me luck. Just the bent wrench with a socket welded on it for special tools?

Yep....my wrench has 2 sockets, different orientation but only because I felt the need to improve, not really required, and not even metric sizes either, just out of the "old tools" drawer.

Piece of sillicone tubing stuck through the back of the socket to contact the bleeder catches just about all the fluid then connected to my "one man brake bleeder" catches it all, no spills.

I did make a funnel, I think the Grommet is a chair cap with a hole punched in it. Long skinny funnel to get at the inner rear reservoir. I also have a plunger I can stick in there to remove it without spilling if there are any fluid left in it.

Extra bleeder to do the "filler adapters" out of my old parts from way back. Speedbleeders ???? still new in the package. Watch for them grub screws, they may be Loctited in there.

Much easier to get at the rear bleeders and see what you are doing if you remove the lower part of the rear fender, two nuts ,one screw and one electrical connector, takes 5 minutes.

Box of Kleenex....nothing better to sop up spills or under the bleeders to catch them drips.

Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Well, I finally got mine bled. Bent wrench and a piece of hose. Nothing fancy, but it worked. I don't think the fluid had ever been changed. It was almost black. Took almost 2 qts of new fluid to do the job.

I think next year I will replace the hoses with aftermarket Teflon lined SS.

Bottom line, Just follow the instructions and advise in this thread and it will all work out.
Jeff
Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I received my Speed Bleeders and funnel, then carried out the brake and clutch bleeds last weekend. I followed Gary's instructions and I'm pleased to say all went to plan. It took me a little while this time because I needed to adapt and make suitable tools. Also, in order to line up the funnel for the rear brake reservoir, I unscrewed the double reservoir (2 screws) and temporarily secured the reservoir using the the front mounting whole in the rear screw hole in the mounting bracket. See attached pictures of the process and tools. Note I used a standard elbow type ring spanner for the R2 bleed nipple to provide maximum swing. Picture shows how I needed to grind the back of this ring spanner so it is thin enough to fit between the top of the nipple and the top of the recess in the modulator. I also made up a Tee handle ring spanner for the F1 nipple. At the end I painted these modified tools black for protection, ready for next time. I only used the speed bleeder to temporarily replace the grub screws in the filler adapters for the brake and clutch bleeds. I also needed to clean flaky paint on the rear reservoir mounting bracket and repsint it black. I gues the last person to do a brake service spilled brake fluid on it. That's one reason I'd rather do my own work on my vehicles.

TONYZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010660.JPG (234.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg P1010661.JPG (214.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg P1010663.JPG (195.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg P1010664.JPG (216.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg P1010665.JPG (204.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg P1010669.JPG (208.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg P1010670.JPG (215.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg P1010671.JPG (351.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg P1010688.JPG (183.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM

5 minutes extra step to remove the lower rear fender, then you can really see what you are doing in there. I always find something to clean ....!

Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Wow! A million thanks to Gary and Clymer as well as anyone else who help put together these procedures and bring them to light!!! This is my first post and it is one of gratitude. I downloaded the PDF 4 days ago and have read through it at least once a day. Although very intimidating at first, it becomes easier after reading it a few times. Today was the big day. I was still a bit nervous, probably because of the lengthy and detailed instructions (thank god cause I've never done this before), it got easier as I progressed through each step. No problems heating and bending the closed end of a $3 wrench to fit those tight spots. The only problem was the speedbleeder on the fill for the clutch. I must have filed off past the scribe line which I didn't see. Fortunately I was either thinking ahead or accidently ordered to many at 2am when I ordered them because I had a spare!!! Boy, that's sensative. Shave off to little and you can't get the threads on. Shave off to much and you won't press in the check valve. Just a quick grind on a wheel, really, just a touch should be about right. Other than that it was a cake walk. Test drive tom! Thanks again!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Wink Re: How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes

During my research prior to finding Gary's procedure I came across some cleverly presented you tubes of the brake bleed procedure, albeit not exactly the same model modulator as the K1200RS. It's presented in two parts. See what you reckon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLM25NYvlas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ktx...eature=related

TONYZ
Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Getting up to speed

can you say by looking at pictures if I have speedbleeders? k1200gt 2004
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flush1small2.jpg (52.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg brake flush2small.jpg (46.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayojuaf
can you say by looking at pictures if I have speedbleeders? k1200gt 2004

I'm going to make an educated guess that you don't. The speedbleeders that I have seen/used are usually silver in color and your bleeders look like that factory ones.

2003 BMW K1200RS
Old 05-27-2012, 02:11 PM
It's All In The Reflexes...

JUST F'N WONDERFULL!!!!!

After all the reading, all the posted questions and help, 2 min into my bleed job I'm screwed!!!

Took my rear caliper bleed screw out and put it into the "fill connection". It fit and started to thread. Very quickly it started to evacuate fluid. Since I didn't have a hose or catch can handy and it was leaking all over the bike, I quickly began to TIGHTEN the bleed screw (as you would in any other bleeding situation) to seat the bleed screw and stop the flow. In doing this the bleed screw became over tightened and popped out and striped the top three or four threads of the filler adapter with it!!

IN HIND SIGHT, I now understand that tightening does NOT seat the bleed screw and stop the flow. With the check ball valve on the filler adapter you have to do it OPPOSITE then normal. In other words, TIGHTEN to drain (push the ball valve in) and LOSEN to stop flow (let the ball valve up and seat!!

I guess everyone else was smart enough to figure this little tidbit out, but in case there is even 1 more moron like me that attempts this, I would recommend clarifying this important aspect in the instructions to prevent anyone else damaging this important connection.
2001 XR650R (ex desert racer, now just trail ride with son)
BMW MOA Member
Old 05-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Mayojuaf, That is definitely a standard, original bleed screw. You would not get the speed bleeder all the way in like that one. Easy to prove. If fluid starts to come out of the drain tube connection when you just crack it open, then it's not a speed bleeder. Once you crack open a speed bleeder, fluid will come past the tapered seat and into the bleed hole on the side of the bleeder, where it is blocked by the internal ball valve. This valve is being held against its internal seat by the internal spring. Fluid will only come out past the ball and through the drain tube connection when the brake line is pressurised. That's why you can bleed the brakes on your own. Check out pictures and animation at the following sites. TucsonRS might want to see these as well, because I think he misunderstands its operation:

http://www.vernco.com/Brakes/id729.htm

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...roductid=18614

Regards

TONYZ
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'TONYZ' for this post:
Old 05-28-2012, 07:10 PM
It's All In The Reflexes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYZ
TucsonRS might want to see these as well, because I think he misunderstands its operation:

http://www.vernco.com/Brakes/id729.htm

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...roductid=18614

Regards

TONYZ

Tony, no misunderstanding of how speedbleeders work. I did not use a speedbleeder. I used the rear, standard bleed screw out of the rear caliper. The ball check valve I was referring to is in the factory filler adapter (black cylinder with the speed bleeder coming out the top of it in the picture below).

The key is if you use a speedbleeder for this part of the bleed, the internal ball check valve of the speedbleeder will prevent fluid from passing as you thread the speed bleeder into the fill adapter and the speedbleeder pushes the ball check valve in the filler adapter down. If you are not using a speedbleeder and just a standard bleed screw, as soon as the ball valve of the filler adapter is depressed, the fluid begins flowing out the bleed screw. the more you tighten it, the more fluid flows. The instructions actually mention "seating" the bleed screw, which is normal operation. However, the bleed screw did not seat (stop the flow) and I over tighten it trying to do so. This is what caused the threads to give way.

This is why it seems that if you use a standard bleed screw for this part of the bleed, the instructions should be to thread until fluid begins to flow, then back off a 1/4 turn to stop flow. Then as bleed, you tighten to open the ball check valve in the filler adapter, and loosen again to stop the flow. (opposite to normal non-speedbleeder bleeding).

2001 XR650R (ex desert racer, now just trail ride with son)
BMW MOA Member
Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Site Contributor

You have some other problems -- -bad seating surface(s) - - - somebody modified the fill connection or whatever. It works as the instructions point out. No-one else has mentioned this problem before and I have not had your experience during several brake bleeds over the years I have owned my KRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonRS
The instructions actually mention "seating" the bleed screw, which is normal operation. However, the bleed screw did not seat (stop the flow) and I over tighten it trying to do so
Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Entering the on-ramp

TucsonRS,
No problem. Missed the bit about the fill connection. I must remember to read the whole article next time. You're correct. The fill connector has its own ball valve. I actually saw it in mine after removing the cap. I pushed the ball in slightly with a match and observed fluid coming out to confirm it. Then I used a speed bleeder. Very important advice you give. Using the ball inside the fill connector to stop flow means you don't need to screw the bleed nipple in as far or as tight.

TONYZ
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Hi everyone, I'm performing a baseline maintenance procedure on a new to me 2001 K1200RS and am wondering if the brake change and bleeding process is the same on the 01 as the method on the 02 as explained here in the forum. It seems that there is a change on some items from 01 to 02 that make the model somewhat different....Since I am new to the BMW world, I haven't learned all the language yet..... If not, I'll try to follow the information listed in the post for "How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes....
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Getting up to speed

Thank Tonyz! I just got the vacuum pump kit and will work this weekend. But still have some doubts
1)With Pump kit I just open the bleed screw and pump (no need to use front brake levers or turn on ignition)?
2)to remove the calipers and shim them is a nice to have? but I don't need to do it? I can leave all that untouched?
3) if I have small hands and use syringes do I need to remove luggage carriers and fairings panels to reach and work with wheel circuit reservoirs?
4) I believe I read somewhere that the bleeding can be done now every two years, does that mean that the control circuit can be done every 3 or 4 years?

Juan
Old 05-31-2012, 02:55 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,032 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayojuaf
Thank Tonyz! I just got the vacuum pump kit and will work this weekend. But still have some doubts
1)With Pump kit I just open the bleed screw and pump (no need to use front brake levers or turn on ignition)?
2)to remove the calipers and shim them is a nice to have? but I don't need to do it? I can leave all that untouched?
3) if I have small hands and use syringes do I need to remove luggage carriers and fairings panels to reach and work with wheel circuit reservoirs?
4) I believe I read somewhere that the bleeding can be done now every two years, does that mean that the control circuit can be done every 3 or 4 years?

Juan

Do NOT use a vacuum pump to bleed the IABS system (Integral-ABS). This is NOT the recommended procedure. The correct bleed procedure has been posted here for models between 2002-2005 (USA market) or 2001-2005 (Europe and Canada).

If you have problem with the std procedure for IABS (also called ABS III) because of air in the system (brake line change or other issues), you should use the "fill back" method to push brake fluid from the Caliper to the reservoir using a seringe.

For earlier generation (1997-2001) equipped with ABS II, the vacuum pump method is not needed either, but maybe used with less risk than in IABS. For older ABS II, the same brake fluid goes thru the whole system - from handlebar master-cylinder to the ABS-unit, and then to the Brake-Caliper.

For IABS, the 2 sub-systems are completely separate:
1) control-circuit (from master-cylinder to teh ABS-unit)
2) wheel-circuit (from right-side reservoir to ABS-Unit to the Caliper)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parts for K1200RS for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144