I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Do your tires wear more on the left,right or evenly
Poll Options
Do your tires wear more on the left,right or evenly

Old 05-13-2015, 06:19 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

Do your tires wear Left,Right or Even

So this Poll is to see, out of interest, how tire wear can be affected by the side of the road your riding on. The percentages wont be the indicator, the comparison between the numbers on the same side of the road will be the interesting ones.
If you do a lot of track days on your road riding bike, it may not be accurate.

I have seen a few references about this topic in a few different threads, and read some interesting views on it.
A few of us had a short discussion about this at the recent Australian rally, towards the end of the rally, we could notice a significantly more aggressive wear on the right hand side and one of the conclusions was that maybe because we ride on the left hand side of the road here in australia, overall, its easier to push harder in a right hander with more visability and obviously more road if your already on the left hand side where you should already be. Left handers could tend to be a little more cautious with less visablility and less road if you screw up. So we wondered wether riding on the right side wore down the left quicker.
BUT.... that all depends on rider style, and overall conditions, and its only a particular view.
And it would be interesting to hear your views on why your tyres wear the way they do, based on the side of the road your country uses.
This is not a tire brand comparison thread, shouldnt make much difference on this topic.

"LHS Country" means you ride on the left. (Australia etc)
"RHS Country" means you ride on the right. (USA etc)
"Ride all over the road country" (there is bound to be someone who needs this option)

cheers
KiwiMat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 06:38 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Re: Do your tires wear Left,Right or Even

Wear all over when attending an i-BMW "rally."
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 06:52 AM
K-bike addict...part time mod
Thanked 1,457 Times in 669 Posts

Send a message via MSN to K-Man! Send a message via Skype™ to K-Man!

Extremely fast wear when attending the Oz Rally! Mine has always seemed quite even, although the centre of the tyre always goes first on the rear, and about the middle between centre and the edge, on the front. Of course different tyres have somewhat different wear. Once I start to feel the deterioration in ride quality I change them to new, don't like waiting till the steel belts appear

...when in doubt, twist the throttle and go for it...

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-Man!' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 06:53 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…
Thanked 2,250 Times in 944 Posts

I think I wore a hole in the back of my jocks when I saw that copper outside of Cooma. And wore a hole in front on the ride up to Falls Creek.

Sorry Matt, I will be able to give you a more serious answer after the next Australian I-BMW Rally. Where and when will it be by the way?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'doctor350' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor350
I think I wore a hole in the back of my jocks when I saw that copper outside of Cooma. And wore a hole in front on the ride up to Falls Creek.

Sorry Matt, I will be able to give you a more serious answer after the next Australian I-BMW Rally. Where and when will it be by the way?

You led the way up to falls creek, top run it was too!!
Next Australian rally is in the initial planning/research stage, details late July/early August.
You have to prove that you know what all the buttons on your bike do to come along this time, will you pass the test John?.......

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 05-13-2015, 09:08 AM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,224 Times in 2,128 Posts

Right down the center. Although I live in an area where there are no curves so my experience isn't worthy.

In truth, I trailer my bike the 700 miles (1100 km) it takes to get to the mountains most of the time, and from there I get pretty even wear.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Site Contributor

"A picture says a thousand words"

4000 miles on a rear Q3 ridden primarily on So-Cal "scenic" roads.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Getting up to speed

Interesting Poll, when i first bought my KRS in 2005 it had the Metzlers on it and the first three sets all wore out faster on the left side (front tire only).
I asked the tech at the BMW dealership about this and he explained that it was the road crown, i did/do alot of highway riding on my commute to work but mostly in the left lane which should have worn more on the right side of the tire if it was from road crown.
i switched to the Michelins for the next 5 sets and have not noticed that type of wear, I now get even wear, May not be a tire issue but seems like guite a coincidence as i ride the same route almost daily and at the same speeds,
Old 05-13-2015, 05:09 PM
*Disclaimer below

What really affects tire wear is number of left turns Vs right turns, if you run more right hand corners than left then your tire will naturally wear more on the right side, if you ride......some areas have crowns some don't.......never mind I confused myself.... there is no such thing as true synthetic oil.....
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BAK04GT' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,815 Times in 1,069 Posts

I've followed riders that are sitting off to one side of the seat and you can see that the bike is leaning to compensate for it.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'cousi' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via MSN to loubre

This was heavily discussed quite a while back on several forums and I believe there were some studies done in the US back in the 90's, conclusion was that there were two factors in play causing increased tyre wear on one side or the other, camber of the road and longer distance on opposite side corners to side of road ridden on, so those of us who ride on the left hand side (the correct side ) and where right hand turns are a slightly longer distance will tend to have slightly increased tyre wear on the right hand side, vice versa for our foreign cousins who ride on the right. I do know mine on the K1600GT tend to wear more on the RHS but the little F800R seems to wear more evenly, 16 is wearing Pirelli Angel GT A specs (3rd set) and the little girl has Michelin Pilot Powers, admittedly the little girl is my commuter/play bike so does tend to get ridden a bit harder
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
2013 K1600GT Montego Blue - GONE
2012 K1300R SE Satin Black - GONE
To be old and wise you must first have been young and stupid!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'loubre' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Thanked 1,410 Times in 795 Posts

Straight down the middle. Unfortunately my ride to work is straight roads and wears the centre. However the Ibmw rally certainly cured that. Still have the same tyres Matty but they are looking a little treadless.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 05-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Riding Bikes Clears the Head

I always wear the RHS more the LHS. I have heard of a couple of other theories besides the camber in our roads like roundabouts ( more time going right than left), if your right handed you tend to go harder around a right handed corner than going left (I think I may believe this )
The wear on my right is only marginally more than my left.
AMHP Headlight Protector
Tank Grips
Side Stand Plate
MRA Double Bubble Tinted Screen
Ctek hardwired connection
Narva Ultra Blue (4200k) lights
Throttlemeister throttle lock
Ventura Luggage Rack and Bag
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'frenchie' for this post:
Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 AM
Shooting the gap

I think it's safe to say, they wear on the side.

09012010203.jpg
Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Getting up to speed

Two sets of Metzler z6, the front wore more on the left side very noticeably.
Continental Road Attacks seem to wear very evenly. New set in the mail right now.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'bcj' for this post:
Old 05-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
Straight down the middle. Unfortunately my ride to work is straight roads and wears the centre. However the Ibmw rally certainly cured that. Still have the same tyres Matty but they are looking a little treadless.

i asked you at the start of rally in March (very nicely i think) if your tyres were going to make it to the end, they must be almost canvas by now!!

cheers
Kiwimat

Old 05-15-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
i asked you at the start of rally in March (very nicely i think) if your tyres were going to make it to the end, they must be almost canvas by now!!

cheers
Kiwimat

Haha not quite Matt. The Pirelli Rosso Corsa don't seem to have much tread to start with but the dual compound idea seems to work well. I am replacing them in two weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150516_002.jpg (212.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150516_001 (2).jpg (220.7 KB, 62 views)

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Getting up to speed

Cant remember whether I have commented before but in Aussie driving on the left on made bitumen roads there is always a camber that places more load on the right of the centre of the tyre,which is greatly increased when leaning to the right on a right hand turn.
But when cornering to the left the camber ,if pronounced enough, will only bring the load to the centre ,and not much more on the if the camber is moderate.
I remember some years ago I took a KRS to an alignment expert and he laughed when I showed him what I thought was excessive wear.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'defoe' for this post:
Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 AM

I though this was a weird question when I first came across it. But today I actually had a good look at my front tyre, and bugger me senseless, but the right hand side is worn right down to slick, whilst the left still has some tread depth remaining.

I think Defoe is on the money with his theory.

Anyway, checked the receipts when I last changed the front tyre, and the Michelin Pilot Road 3 has 12700kms on it. I think it's time for a new one.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'doctor350' for this post:
Old 09-16-2015, 07:07 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
I though this was a weird question when I first came across it. But today I actually had a good look at my front tyre, and bugger me senseless, but the right hand side is worn right down to slick, whilst the left still has some tread depth remaining
My left side is usually toast by the time I hit 8 or 10K. But the right hand side looks really good. So if you leave a little tread on the right side just for the sake of it, we could trade tires!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Louis' for this post:
Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Tricky poll to answer.

Pre-2002 K1200RS the wear was significantly more on the left.
-- let go of handlebars, bike dives for left ditch
2002 K1200RS was only slightly more on the left.
-- let go gf handlebars, bike thinks about going straight but decides left is probably better
K1200S/K1300S even wear.
-- let go of handlebars, bike goes straight

I run 78% nitorgen in my tires if that helps.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:19 AM
Shooting the gap

Leaning over, you have additional G forces that will cause much higher wear than somewhat uneven camber. Some people lean better on the left, others prefer right. IMHO that's what matters the most. Or simply, your riding pattern might be more to the left or more to the right. We see that on the track often...one side wears more. Some riders even turn tyres around (against recommended rotation) to maximise tyre use. On slicks or semi slicks, tyre pattern makes no difference.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:

And we await your more serious answer John......

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 08-05-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
And we await your more serious answer John......

Cheers
Kiwimat

Clearly the answer lies in the Earth's slightly non-perpendickular axis of rotation relative to the sun.

This causes us to lean more to the right (possibly why we prefer German motorcycles), and why, therefore our tyres wear quicker on the right hand side.

Simple geophysics really
Old 08-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Site Contributor

Shiny, new Shinko Verge front tire.

2200 Miles later.

3000 miles and thoroughly cooked, right down to the chord,

The high 'crown' of our So California roads demonstrably and prematurely eats the rubber left of zero degrees. The added braking abilities afforded by the Duo-lever suspension simply "EATS" rubber.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

3000 might have been pushing it but you do have a perfect example of how to wear out a tire.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Shooting the gap

That rubber is too soft for that bike, I understand side wear but even in the centre it looks shagged.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:07 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Shinko VergeX?

I just cooked one pretty good crossing the Americas.5,000 miles?Handled just fine.

Front only as I was still running my Roadtec01 rear.

I'll try them Verges again as a pair on my local roads. Funny the service guy brought it back from the shop and asked me....Is that what we sold you?Yep and I specifically asked for it.Fully aware of my tire choices....!
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 10-29-2017, 12:04 PM
Getting up to speed

Native American peoples called "KANZA" (or People of the southwind), of which the state of Kansas gets its name.Now a little planing one can achieve equal tire wear as follows.
Ride South to North you'll have a tail wind, North to south you'll buck a headwind,---Riding East to west the bike will lean severely to the left and vise versa when riding when riding West to east.----Meaningless, I know, until you take into condensation the old saying all Kansans know.----
The reason for the high winds in Kansas is, all the hot air generated by Texans only to pick up speed crossing Oklahoma & because Nebraska sucks there is always a wind in Kansas.---Truth is stranger than fiction.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 AM

You forgot to mention ‘wear out’

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2