I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-10-2016, 06:06 AM
Overmaintained

Box 'O' Rocks Fix...with Pics

So this story begins much the same as many others, an oil leak from the intermediate housing. Most likely the O'ring behind the clutch, or the main seal, or the GB input shaft..
Oh well, we all know what that means, shes coming apart big time.

I had no loss of friction from the clutch (yet) so I figured I had some time and started researching online, here, and anywhere else I could fine info.
I was reading and copying/pasting notes for about a year to get to know this bike. Along the way I found answers I was looking for, the 'O' ring, various seals, the 'Box Of Rocks' noise and a few other things
that could be fixed along the way.
So the year turned into closer to 18 months and several orders from A&S and MaxBMW and I had pretty much all I needed to get this bike sorted.
I took heaps of photos along the way, these below are just a summary of the 300 or so I took during the process.
These are uploaded to the gallery here on iBMW (so they wont go missing) and I have used the medium sized pics for this thread.
If anyone wants to see the bigger version just look for my gallery, they are all there.

So lets get underway.

As usual, the rear end comes off. Lots of people have detailed this so I wont spend much time here.
A couple of bits of timber and shes high enough for me to climb under.

Engine lowered down on a jack and gearbox removed

One thing I noticed, when I changed all the fluids in the bike at the same time, the color of the oil dripping from the bike changed too.
It wasnt engine oil, it was gearbox oil. So I knew that much going in. It had to be GB input shaft seal, right...wrong.

Clutch side of the gearbox once apart. Not too bad. But theres no oil coming from the input shaft seal ???
So where is the gearbox oil coming from that is leaking from the bottom of my bike.

Bit of a cleanup.....shiney :-)

The first thing I did was not only to drill the clutch weep hole, but tap it and install a 4mm nipple (and a clear hose) so any runoff could be detected.
The white stuff is a dot of silicone placed on the thread when it was screwed in.

When I removed the clutch pushrod the tube it was in was full of oil, the felt ring was sodden and the clutch slave cylinder was full of gearbox oil.
This seal, the clutch slave pushrod tube seal (or whatever its called) was installed at an angle, 1.5mm higher on one side.
The oil was leaking there and making its way down the clutch pushrod and ending up in the intermediate housing.
The O ring and main seal were both ok. I could have changed just the one seal and be done with it, but I had other plans.

Clutch pack out for cleanup. New clutch plate and spring plate (because I can) the rest was in good nick. Scuff the friction plates, check for flatness, do the dishes and then everthing goes
back together and put aside for later on. I probably didnt need to replace the spring plate but its been compressing for 10 years, time for a freshen up

Good as new

Engine dropped down about as far as it can go. If I was thinking about attacking the box'o'rocks I need to get this intermediate housing off.
I think by this point the airbox was already off as you cant drop the engine without it popping off anyway.
Alternator and starter motor removed.
Notice the amount of rubber dust in the area that the alternator resides in.

A view you dont get to see unless you drop the engine right down. The top of the engine, fuel lines, engine vent hose and 4 way splitter
And the back (or inside) of the throttle bodies.

'04 K12GT ...... '04 R11S
Previously
ZZR1100D4, CBR1000FL, GSX600FL, GS250FW, RGV250VJ22, GSX250
The following (10) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 06:07 AM
Overmaintained

Re: Box 'O' Rocks Fix...with Pics

In order to get the intermediate housing off, you first need to take the crackshaft cover off as it seals against the int housing..

Intermediate housing removed

And cleaned up.

Oil and water pumps removed, exposing the front end of the output shaft.

The box of rocks noise is made up of several parts, but primarily it is the output shaft, in the lower part of the crackcase.
In order to remove it (without removing the engine from the bike) it needs to be strapped up while the lower casing is removed.
Ratchet strap at the front of the shaft, just taking the weight of the shaft.

Screwdriver in the output shaft at the rear of the engine, strap doing the same as in the front, taking the weight.

From here its just a matter of loosening everything and gently lowering the lower casing away from the engine. The output shaft will stay in place.

The output shaft held in place by the straps. The rear main seal just falls out and is on the screwdriver.

Loosen off the straps and you can remove the output shaft for some minor surgery to get rid of the rocks.

Remove the circlip and the bearing and you are at the heart of the box of rocks noise. That thin round shim is what is causing the noise.
Actually, its that it is too thin and allows the 'skinny' gear that rests up against it to rattle, causing the Box Of Rocks noise.
Replace that shim with one of the correct thickness and the rattle noise goes away.
The needle rollers and circlip are taped up for protection.

Previously
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 06:08 AM
Overmaintained

Stripping it all down to see whats going on.
The outer bearing circlip is supposed to be a tight fit, it wasnt tight in my case, allowing the bearing to slide slightly away from the cogs
further exagerating the rattles.
I replaced the circlip, the inner 'cog' spring, and the shim (I bought several sizes).

Inner surface of the main drive cog and the rivets into the cush drive.

Inner surface of the skinny 'preload' cog that the inner spring keeps offset by 1/2 a tooth to absorb the firing impulse from the engine.
Notice both inner surfaces have a 'post' that the spring attaches to when its all together.

Random photo of parts for replacment

Reassembled correctly, the gap was reduced from around .006-007" (which rattles) to between .001-.0015" (which cannot)
Here the feeler gauge is at the widest point of the gap at .0015" (1.5 thou).
I did lap the shim slightly, but only to get a mirror finish on it.
When it went together, the outer bearing circlip had to be firmly tapped into the slot (as it says it should be in the Clymer manual)

All that was left to do now is get everything clean and oil free ready to be 'glued' and bolted back together.
I used Threebond 1207B on everything, its amazing stuff, and exceeds the specs of the original adhesives specified by BMW.
Cleaning out the lower case.

And cleaning out the underneith of the crackcase proper.

Output shaft strapped back into position, just a reversal of the way it came out.

Casing and sump installed - front view

Casing and sump installed - rear view.

Previously
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 AM
Overmaintained

Watrer pump, cleaned up, de-oiled and de-siliconed. And a new impeller for good measure.

Oil pump, same same, clean clean.

And all installed. Another good thing about the Threebond 1207B is that it is black, it goes unnoticed when it is dry.
Although I think I went through and removed all the dags anyway. (a 3mm bead is all that is needed)

The clutch pushrod.
My cluch pushrod was rattling A LOT. I think the bearing in the clutch slave cylinder was shagged because when I pulled in the clutch lever slightly the
noise went away. When I had the slave apart there was alot of slop in the bearing.
So, to stop any possibility of this rattle reappearing, I did the below.
I skimmed a (new) pushrod down 1mm along its entire length, and with a bit of measuring I machined another cutout for another felt ring.
I know the felts do really do much, but when I pulled my pushrod out most of the oil was trapped behind the felt.
I wanted to increase the clearance between the rod and the tube it runs in to allow it some lateral movement without hitting the sides of the tube and
causing a rattle. So far it seems to be working, as that rattle has gone as well.

Two felts on the one pushrod.

Initially I wasnt going to go down the throttle bodies 'road' but one look down the throats told me I had to.
They were covered in oily grunge. That clean bit in TB 2 is a finger wipe.

A fair amount of gunk around the outside as well.

So, stuff it, start from scratch, everything off, lets go.

Intake manifolds (checked for flatness), new O rings, injectors, new O rings too. Everything lightly greased in red rubber grease and reinstalled.

The TBs all cleaned and lubed, roller bearings and return springs lubed too.

The view from the inside, top of the engine cleaned up, new fuel lines, new vent hose and new 4 way splitter (Im not going in there again)

Injectors and fuel rail back in, and electrics reinstalled

Previously
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Overmaintained

Im not putting that alternator back in without a strip and clean. Brushes were ok, bearings were ok, cleaned up all good.
Starter motor got the same treatment, but managed to evade the camera.

This is what happens to the alternator drive rubbers over time, they wear flat, and is where all that rubber dust came from

New rubbers in the alternator, dusted in talc to help installation (they are tight!)

Ok back to rebuliding...
O ring in. Rear main seal in. Intermediate housing on, alternator in, clutch in and centered, crankshaft cover back on.

Gear box back in

Hoses reconnected front end. New radiator hose, old one had some chafing from fairing.

The old center stand.
Notice the front of both feet are worn away?!
I was wondering how this could happen, then i read someones account of what causes this.
The previous owner used to ride 2 up with his wife and had the suspension set reaaeelly soft. Every time he went around
a corner he would scrape the stand on the road. And ground them away to what you see here.

A couple of eBay parts later and a can of high temp gloss black, and Bob's your aunty.

Getting close now to standing back on its own two feet.

Previously
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Overmaintained

Couple more things, purely aesthetic.

Dash LEDs, although not in the neutral or charge lights, as we all know.

Rusty water catcher replaced.

I have tried everything to get rid of the petrol stains from the leaking QDs (previous owner), nothing gets petrol stains off.
So, spotless clean, scuff up, and a coat of high temp aluminium (AU) (aluminum USA) and now it looks the part once again.

Hey,wow, is that new?

Found these on ebay. I just had to .

A FULL DAY LATER!!!

Previously
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 08:13 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,140 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

This is going to be good

What did you use to paint the valve covers with?

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 06-10-2016, 08:26 AM
ΨZNAM
Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
This is going to be good
I'm impressed!
Old 06-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Overmaintained

Ok back to reassembly

Remember to phase your driveshaft correctly.

New clutch slave installed, and gear indicator switch. I had a custom clutch line made to match the
Goodridge brake lines that I also had made for the bike. I wanted both sides to look the same at the switch clusters / handlebars
Note the red anodised 6mm banjo on the clutch SC is the only one they have but it worked just fine.

Swingarm back in. One pivot bolt froze on dismantling, so this is an eBay contribution. Date of manufacture actually matches
and the condition is better than the the one that came out anyway.

Final drive and rear brakes back in.

Rear wheel back in.

Staintunes fitted.

Gratuitous shiney pic to reminisce over later.

While Im there i might have a quick check of valve clearances, its supposed to be done warm but what the hell.
All good.

Foot pegs, levers and covers back on.

Previously
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Overmaintained

I had a play with a chinese bike alarm, what rubbish, didnt work at all. One paypal dispute later and Im happy again.

While Im at fixing minor things, I was carrying some damage to my RH radiator. SH replacement, cleaned by me and sprayed.
Looks the part now.
Oh, and my Goodridge brake line to the front as well.

All the colored bits get a heat applied coating of canauba wax, then were buffed to within an inch of their lives.
Shouldnt have done it, I need to wear sunnies around it now.

You really dont need a hugger on this bike, but hey.

I wanted to clean up the wiring from the switch clusters as all the rubber sheathing was crumbling away.
Came up with this idea, lightweight flexible condiut that is slit the full length and just slides over the wires.
A couple of discrete cable ties and its not a bad result.
Left side

Right side

Previously
Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Overmaintained

The dash.
What I wanted to acheive with the Goodridge brake and clutch lines was to have them the same.
Same size, same angles.
I wanted symmetry. (12 hr mod done to clock as well, it doesnt show 24hr time anymore)

Previously
Old 06-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Overmaintained

Im over 6' tall so the GT screen is just a pain, it doesnt put the wind anywhere that works for me.
Solution, an RS screen. Im in the wind all the time now, but that doesnt bother me, at least its not buffeting anymore.
RS mirrors too, just because I like them better than the GT roundys.

Only 2 things remaining. Ohlin$ (ouch, hurts just to say it) and I may try a chip in this bike (currently running quite nicely on a 296 ECU)

So there you go.
Lucky its a cold rainy day today or you wouldnt know any of this.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.
In summing up on this first 6 or so posts above, I have to acknowledge the awesome knowledge contained here by the people that inhabit these forums.
In doing all this I became a student of the likes of Sailor, RFW, voxmagna, BAK04GT, PBegin, and countless others who added to the discussions that allowed me to discover and distill
the information I needed to do what I did above.
I did these posts in part to give back some information that I compiled, in the hope that it may assist someone, the same way that all the little pieces of information I gleaned and put together, helped me.
THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR VALUABLE CONTRIBUTIONS..
Roland.

Previously
The following (24) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,819 Times in 1,071 Posts

Dang !
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cousi' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,135 Times in 828 Posts

What he said... Dang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousi
Dang !
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,081 Times in 2,903 Posts

Very impressed! , was wondering what was the inspiration, and found your earlier inquiry thread here, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=52964 - which shed some light on the project.

So, has the "box of rocks" become more quiet?

Thanks for the photos!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 11:33 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Dang....

Any pics of the dampeners in the output shaft?Rubber? I think mine may be wearing out,been finding very small thin pieces of rubber in my used oil .Last one looked like it contacted a gear tooth or two.

Got to pull my covers next week,my cam chain liner kit will be there by the time I get back.Time to shine a light down there and see what may be up on list for next winter.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 06-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Overmaintained

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Very impressed! , was wondering what was the inspiration, and found your earlier inquiry thread here, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=52964 - which shed some light on the project.

So, has the "box of rocks" become more quiet?

Thanks for the photos!

@CJS350, you are quite the investigator. Yes the rattles have peeved me ever since I got the bike. Took me till now to get to a point of getting in there and fixing it.
I have about 1000km on the bike since this work was done and I am happy to say the Box 'O' Rocks is no more, gone, silent.
It just sounds like any other big throaty bike, and I do like the Staintunes as well.
R.

Previously
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 01:16 PM
*Disclaimer below

Holy shit!, I saw a spot of oil on the floor by the front tire, had to be the size of a dime. This is worthy of a class "A" sticky
NICE JOB!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BAK04GT' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Overmaintained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
This is going to be good
What did you use to paint the valve covers with?
@Flyboy, I used a Dupli-color high heat engine enamel - aluminium.
R.

Previously
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RolandS888' for this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Overmaintained

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
Dang....

Any pics of the dampeners in the output shaft?Rubber? I think mine may be wearing out,been finding very small thin pieces of rubber in my used oil .Last one looked like it contacted a gear tooth or two.
Got to pull my covers next week,my cam chain liner kit will be there by the time I get back.Time to shine a light down there and see what may be up on list for next winter.

I dont have any specific pics of the damper rubbers. There's two in the top corner of this photo. Mine were ok so went straight back in, although if I had of thought of it I probably would have changed them seeing as I was in there and dont want to go back in again any time soon.

If theres rubber in your oil I cant really think of anywhere else it could come from.
Others might know.

Previously
Old 06-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,437 Times in 899 Posts

This report with pics is a work of Art!

Thanks from all K12RS/GT owners.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Site Contributor

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you're stupid and Chuck Norris wasn't there to talk you out of it.

www.trentj.com

DOWNLOAD Trent J The Junkyard
20 song album- iTunes, Amazon, etc. Some music for your ride
I think my best one might be Blue Junkyard (Sarah's Song)
Old 06-10-2016, 05:59 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,047 Times in 575 Posts

Roland,

Thank you for this very informative tread.

Congrats for a great mix / balance of technical and story telling.
You always include lots of pictures to make this lively and easy to follow. We also have VoxMagna, Pbegin and MassiveLee in same league I would say ;-)

Having done a clutch job before, I taught your wood jack a bit high for no reasons, until I saw you wanted more clearance to get to lower crankcase / output-shaft with engine in place. Now I get it...

Your post has answered most questions except these If I may:
(1) given low mileage of your K1200, what was the thickness of old friction plate?

(2) have you been able to measure thickness / length or old Stater brushes?

(3) any parts changed in Starter?

(4) have you kept track of time / hours to do the whole job?
Going slow, I can do the clutch job in 22 hours, but you have done a lot more - probably spread over many days I assume...

(5) you wrote: "While Im there i might have a quick check of valve clearances, its supposed to be done warm but what the hell."
On 99% engine that I know, same with a K1200, valve clearance is to be measured COLD: so you did OK if engine was cold.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 06-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Entering the on-ramp

What did you use to get those fork tubes so nice and clean?
Old 06-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Overmaintained

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Roland,

Thank you for this very informative tread.

Congrats for a great mix / balance of technical and story telling.
You always include lots of pictures to make this lively and easy to follow. We also have VoxMagna, Pbegin and MassiveLee in same league I would say ;-)

Having done a clutch job before, I taught your wood jack a bit high for no reasons, until I saw you wanted more clearance to get to lower crankcase / output-shaft with engine in place. Now I get it...

Your post has answered most questions except these If I may:
(1) given low mileage of your K1200, what was the thickness of old friction plate?

(2) have you been able to measure thickness / length or old Stater brushes?

(3) any parts changed in Starter?

(4) have you kept track of time / hours to do the whole job?
Going slow, I can do the clutch job in 22 hours, but you have done a lot more - probably spread over many days I assume...

(5) you wrote: "While Im there i might have a quick check of valve clearances, its supposed to be done warm but what the hell."
On 99% engine that I know, same with a K1200, valve clearance is to be measured COLD: so you did OK if engine was cold.

Jean, thanks for the kind words.
re your questions.
1. The clutch friction plate was at 5.48mm, evenly worn but of course it was oil soaked.
Something as simple to replace as a clutch plate I wasnt going to wash and reuse, especially as it had been basting in oil, probably for years.

2. The stator brushes were in good condition, I didnt measure them but they had lots of meat left. My background is electrical so the alternator and starter motor got a good going over. Alternator only had minor dust build up, slip rings were smooth with a healthy patina. I just cleaned (polished) them a little, checked the diodes, regulator, and connections (which are only 'contacts' touching each other) and made sure everything was clean and conducting properly.

3. Starter motor was stripped, rotor cleaned, commutator cleaned and polished gently with wet and dry. I removed the brush assembly and brushes, cleaned and checked for free movement of the brushes. Lubed the bush at the commutator end and the bearing at the toothed end. Did some electrical checks recommended by Clymer, put it all back together and powered it up and ran it in my hand. The commutator and brushes showed no signs of undue wear, comm segment insulators were still undercut nicely. There was plenty of life left in the starter yet. (And if need be, it can be removed on its own without stripping the bike) Bike is only 30k km old.

4. The work was spread over two lots of 2 weeks, with a few weeks break in between. I have to travel for work sometimes, which worked in my favor in this instance as I was half way done and had to go for work, so I ordered another batch of parts and they were waiting when I got back, and was able to continue without having to wait for parts.
All up, i'd say theres about 80 hours in the above, but that includes things that arent detailed, changing to braided brake lines and a full ABS and brake flush, machining 'tools' like the clutch seal depth setter, and a clutch centering tool, and the strip that holds the clutch basket in place when you tighten the center nut. Time wasted on a bike alarm. Polishing the exhaust - a day. Polishing (waxing) the tupperware - a day. I wasnt in a hurry, I'd kicked the wifes car out of the garage indefinitely, so i had all the time in the world. And was summer, with some days over 40degC (120F) were just too hot to bother.

5. Ah yes, of course it needs to be done cold, memory slip there for me. I had checked the valve clearances 12 months ago, so they didnt really need checking now, I just thought Id go in and have another look around to see if everything was ok. I changed two buckets last year and shuffled a few others. Everything was how exactly how I left it.

Roland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
What did you use to get those fork tubes so nice and clean?

Nothing, nothing at all. I didnt even realize they look clean.
I used to commute to work on a bike every day, but I dont anymore. And this bike certainly doesnt get ridden everyday, and is stored indoors.. So if they are clean, then its probably from lack of use. :-)
R.

Previously
Old 06-11-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandS888
I dont have any specific pics of the damper rubbers. There's two in the top corner of this photo. Mine were ok so went straight back in, although if I had of thought of it I probably would have changed them seeing as I was in there and dont want to go back in again any time soon.

If theres rubber in your oil I cant really think of anywhere else it could come from.
Others might know.

Thanks! Got to think that "rubber in the oil" thing a little before I go in.Been like that for 25,000 kms since I first noticed.Will stay like that for another 25k.By then may be time for a new clutch or another K with less mileage.

Unless I find that the rubber is from the crankcase cover gasket.I'll look for more clues in a couple days,my parts are here but will take a day or so just to wash my bike before I put it in the shop.

As for the others still looking at rejuvenating rusty bolts/unpainted cases/de-anodized fork tubes etc...etc...!And certainly give them parts some protection from the elements? Just go read in Mr.Quiltzig thread on reviving an old K.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 06-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Wow. Great new sticky this one is

Thanks for taking the time to do all those very clear pics. Your posting of this works makes me love the bike all over again.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Getting up to speed

Roland, Whoa! As I read this entire post I kept asking myself, "Who IS this guy?". Well done indeed. Color me awestruck!

Ken
Old 06-11-2016, 03:10 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

As others have sais, great job and thanks!

Out of curiosity, how did you clean the exhaust, mechanical buff or some other product?

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 06-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Overmaintained

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
As others have sais, great job and thanks!

Out of curiosity, how did you clean the exhaust, mechanical buff or some other product?

Elbow grease Rick.
And an excellent product by Autosol called Metal Life Saver.
It comes in a 2 part pack, the metal cleaner and a polish.
Its awesome stuff.

Previously
Old 06-11-2016, 09:06 PM
Site Contributor

Outstanding work! Having been there for the seals already, I was just as impressed looking at your garage/workshop as the job itself. You can garner a lot if info about an owner by the way he keeps his workspace. And how clean his bike is...
Thanks for sharing and well worthy of a sticky.
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
Old 06-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Site Contributor

Holy S***. If I could have done that I would still be riding my Gen 1 GT. Truely, one of the best looking bikes ever produced. Awesome job.
2005 Ducati 999-The I-talian Mistress-sold but missed
2004 KGT, Gen 1, Orient Blue
Old 06-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Fantastic job and very detailed procedure

What a way to collaborate with other bike lovers!!
Old 06-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Getting up to speed

Simply. ..awesome.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Nice work! And you have the most beautiful color K!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'twinsig' for this post:
Old 06-13-2016, 07:37 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,047 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Jean, thanks for the kind words.
re your questions.
1. The clutch friction plate was at 5.48mm, evenly worn but of course it was oil soaked.
Something as simple to replace as a clutch plate I wasnt going to wash and reuse, especially as it had been basting in oil, probably for years.

2. The stator brushes were in good condition, I didnt measure them but they had lots of meat left. My background is electrical so the alternator and starter motor got a good going over. Alternator only had minor dust build up, slip rings were smooth with a healthy patina. I just cleaned (polished) them a little, checked the diodes, regulator, and connections (which are only 'contacts' touching each other) and made sure everything was clean and conducting properly.

3. Starter motor was stripped, rotor cleaned, commutator cleaned and polished gently with wet and dry. I removed the brush assembly and brushes, cleaned and checked for free movement of the brushes. Lubed the bush at the commutator end and the bearing at the toothed end. Did some electrical checks recommended by Clymer, put it all back together and powered it up and ran it in my hand. The commutator and brushes showed no signs of undue wear, comm segment insulators were still undercut nicely. There was plenty of life left in the starter yet. (And if need be, it can be removed on its own without stripping the bike) Bike is only 30k km old.

4. The work was spread over two lots of 2 weeks, with a few weeks break in between. I have to travel for work sometimes, which worked in my favor in this instance as I was half way done and had to go for work, so I ordered another batch of parts and they were waiting when I got back, and was able to continue without having to wait for parts.
All up, i'd say theres about 80 hours in the above, but that includes things that arent detailed, changing to braided brake lines and a full ABS and brake flush, machining 'tools' like the clutch seal depth setter, and a clutch centering tool, and the strip that holds the clutch basket in place when you tighten the center nut. Time wasted on a bike alarm. Polishing the exhaust - a day. Polishing (waxing) the tupperware - a day. I wasnt in a hurry, I'd kicked the wifes car out of the garage indefinitely, so i had all the time in the world. And was summer, with some days over 40degC (120F) were just too hot to bother.
Roland.

Roland,

Thanks for detailed reply.

The main goal of my question was to gather / compare wear usage on friction plate given your very low total mileage (30,000 KM).

Given that a new friction plate is 6 to 6.1 mm -AND- given the lower acceptable limit is 4.5 mm:
Up until now, all K1200RS/GT and also K1200LT that I have worked on OR compile data from forum members clutch job, I see "on average" this type of wear on clutch friction plate:
1) for each 7,000 miles (11,000 Km) the wear is approx 0.1 mm

2) yours was a bit more than average but you have no idea how much slipping or rough / hard the previous owner was (6 - 5.48 = approx 0.5 mm)

3) given these averages and a "normal rider" that does not slip the clutch too much, a clutch friction disk can potentially last at least 100,000 mile (162,000 Km). However, real life data from many forum members here and on K1200LT forum (last 15 year) has shown that a Seal OR the O-ring will force replacement before the friction disk is worn at 4.5 mm.

I think I saw one case on K1200LT forum were one did a bit more than 100,000 miles on same clutch friction plate. There seems to be a pattern: after so many years, irrelevant of mileage, one seal or the o-ring will fail. The retired K1200LT guys who do a lot of mileage in short time, seem to be able to do more miles before they have a "forced by oil" replacement. Some of these guys have done 100,000 miles in a 4 years period.

These two (2) K1200LT now have 300,000 miles... seriously:
CASE 1 here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...300-000-a.html

CASE 2 here (same K1200LT forum): http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ther-100k.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 PM

My friction disk measured on average 5.4 at 128,000 kms.

And I say average because the plates are dished in well over what could be acceptable for a friction disk replacement only.So measuring the friction disk inner/outer edges and comparing to the dishing measurements,my never oiled friction disk and plates do match as a complete unit.

There is a maximum plate deflection spec often bandied around,a max.deflection spec that if gone beyond plates should be replaced for proper engagement of the friction disk.I won't quote the spec because it doesn't come from the mother ship.Let's just say that the spec is a little too high to my liking....but makes the cheapos feel good.

Reinstalled "as is" and added 47,000 kms to that and now at 173,000.I may contemplate a complete clutch replacement next winter but then....maybe not.If that out of spec clutch of mine keeps working as well as it does now all the way through the long summer ride I may never see it again.

Handling one of them K1200GSs off public roads in the steep gravel switchbacks/potholes and rocks at times? That's 60% clutch and 40% brakes....my clutch sure gets used.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 06-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Im over 6' tall so the GT screen is just a pain, it doesnt put the wind anywhere that works for me.
Solution, an RS screen. Im in the wind all the time now, but that doesnt bother me, at least its not buffeting anymore.
RS mirrors too, just because I like them better than the GT roundys.

Only 2 things remaining. Ohlin$ (ouch, hurts just to say it) and I may try a chip in this bike (currently running quite nicely on a 296 ECU)

So there you go.
Lucky its a cold rainy day today or you wouldnt know any of this.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.
In summing up on this first 6 or so posts above, I have to acknowledge the awesome knowledge contained here by the people that inhabit these forums.
In doing all this I became a student of the likes of Sailor, RFW, voxmagna, BAK04GT, PBegin, and countless others who added to the discussions that allowed me to discover and distill
the information I needed to do what I did above.
I did these posts in part to give back some information that I compiled, in the hope that it may assist someone, the same way that all the little pieces of information I gleaned and put together, helped me.
THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR VALUABLE CONTRIBUTIONS..
Roland.

Roland,

Remarkable post ! Thank you !

You must be an mechanic by trade, possibly an aircraft mechanic? Your shop is spotless and I never saw one picture of clutter! Signs of a professional, I'd say !

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rozemab' for this post:
Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Site Contributor

Roland,

You're a better man than me. I Youtube putting air in my tires and call it EPIC!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Overmaintained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozemab
Roland,

Remarkable post ! Thank you !

You must be an mechanic by trade, possibly an aircraft mechanic? Your shop is spotless and I never saw one picture of clutter! Signs of a professional, I'd say !

@Rozemab, your assumption is very close, didnt realise i was so transparent

Previously
Old 07-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,329 Posts

All I can say is, WOW!

I can use all the inspiration I can get for rebuilding my Eldorado!

Excellent post and build tutorial Roland! Really something!
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 California (Police Edition)
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 07-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

Hey Roland, I'll award you (thread & job) an A+, gold star, rubber stamp (lion) on the back of your hand,…and you get too go home early on Friday.

Now, with the aid of a 4mm allen key, we just need too remove that douvalacky out of the rear of the muffler.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Getting up to speed

Well Done Sir, You've done a man's job.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp