I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Do you head check or rely solely on your mirrors?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Do you head check or rely solely on your mirrors?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:54 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,360 Times in 631 Posts

Do You "Head Check" or Just Use Mirrors?

A recent thread made me wonder what most riders here do. Do you look over your shoulder before changing lanes? Or do you rely solely on your mirrors? Feel free to elaborate. Let's make this a public poll. I head check. Always have.

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K1DUDE' for this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 09:33 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

Re: Do You "Head Check" or Just Use Mirrors?

I ride to work on empty roads (4:00am) and home in bumper to bumper traffic, I do look around most of the time, I am looking in my mirrors constantly. I have been caught out a few times in the early morning, just done a mirror check, merged into a 2 lane road, and fck me, there is a car right there. So I try remember to look around most of the time, sometimes In traffic I don't if I'm going past cars and have checked my mirrors a million times.

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,070 Posts

Thanks for starting this.
Yes I head check my blind spot.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'cousi' for this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

" and fck me, there is a car right there."

I've had this moment more than once.

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pete_Tallahassee' for this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Have always done a head check, on the bike as well as in my car. And the car has all these sensors that tell me if there's a car there. Never trusted them and still look over my shoulder .
There are those that make things happen , those that wait for things to happen and there are those that sit back and say wtf just happened. It's not the number of years in your life that matters as much as the life in your years.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,433 Times in 3,153 Posts

I have always turned my head just enough to see the blind spot and still have a little peripheral vision in front of me.

These days riding on the street I have to really think first when passing - at the track you never look anywhere but straight ahead. No mirrors and you only worry about the riders in front of you the riders behind you have to worry about you.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 10:57 PM
K-bike addict...part time mod
Thanked 1,459 Times in 670 Posts

Send a message via MSN to K-Man! Send a message via Skype™ to K-Man!

Always scanning my mirrors but nothing is as solid as doing a head check
I also find my modular helmet gives me excellent viewing angle while in traffic

...when in doubt, twist the throttle and go for it...

Old 09-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,782 Times in 2,054 Posts

I always head check the blind spot. I do everything possible to avoid tailgating, and when I'm in a cluster of vehicles on the highway, I get out of it as fast as I can. I hate cars anywhere near me.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 11:16 PM
WACKY RACER

In case some of you might not know what a "head check" is;

You turn your head 90 deg to the side that you intend to move, just before you begin moving. You do not turn your shoulders to see what is behind you. Your mirrors do that for you.
Turning your head [or pointing your chin] to your shoulder lets you see what is 5-15 feet behind you, where the immediate danger will be. It also lets you continue to see the vehicle in front of you with your peripheral vision.
You can see 20 feet or more behind you with the mirrors [if adjusted properly].
The mirror will NOT show you what is 5 feet behind you, and any immediate danger to you, only the properly done "head check" will see this distance behind you.

The proper sequence will be:
the desire to make a lateral move into a different lane [a lane change]
turning on the turn signal [also called a lane change indicator]
check the mirror
do a head check
steer [or press] to move into the new lane
cancel the turn signal
and finally; check your mirrors again [in case the idiot behind you didn't want you to move into HIS lane and is accelerating to run into you]. [DAMHIK]

All of these are important and if you feel the need to do multiple mirror, turn signal, and head checks, that's OK too.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bertbrumfield' for this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 12:04 AM
GS Crash Test Dummy

Can whoever added the third option to my poll please remove it, as it is blatantly obvious and goes without saying. Thanks.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K1DUDE' for this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 12:10 AM
WACKY RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1DUDE
Can whoever added the third option to my poll please remove it, as it is blatantly obvious and goes without saying. Thanks.

I'm sorry. I should have asked first. But it was pretty obvious, as both choices were partially wrong, weren't they.

[It's always easier to apologize than to ask permission.]

And it already has two votes, after just a few minutes.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,281 Times in 2,159 Posts

Both. Always check the mirrors regardless of passing or not. Quick check while passing.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I don't know about other bikes and mirrors but I have a small blind spot so head checking is a "have to do" for me. I agree with the other post as well, I don't want any cars or trucks anywhere near me!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Retirement is Fleeting

I carefully check with my mirrors, do a quick head check, and glance at the mirrors one last time. Additionally I (car or bike) never tailgate and really hate when someone tailgates me. If that happens I get out of there as quickly as traffic and road conditions allow.
Like Jargon stated I hate being anywhere close to cars if possible.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Go Ugly Early

Seems like most people here are smarter than a few !

The wizard evidently doesn't want to be the lone vote! ;-)

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 10:25 AM
GS Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertbrumfield
I'm sorry. I should have asked first. But it was pretty obvious, as both choices were partially wrong, weren't they.

[It's always easier to apologize than to ask permission.]

And it already has two votes, after just a few minutes.
Okay. Then since our threads are apparently subject to modifications and censorship at the discretion of the site moderators, could you please merge options 2 and 3 because it's obvious and has the same meaning. And you can add option 3 as " I only head check and never look at my mirrors". And maybe a fourth option, " I don't head check or look at my mirrors, I just go for it and hope for the best".
Thanks for your help.

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K1DUDE' for this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,575 Times in 807 Posts

I try to keep tabs on traffic in general so that if I do want to pass I already basically know what's around me. I don't ride in a lot of traffic but if I'm not sure I check the mirrors and then do a quick head check but like Bruce said, maintaining the vehicle in front of me in my peripheral vision. If there's a vehicle coming up from behind me and he's not right there acceleration usually takes care of the rest.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:01 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,106 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

I don't head check ( I DO look into my mirrors). I have mitigated taking my eyes away from the direction I'm traveling by installing convex mirrors on the K (like Dr D posted). This combined with 130 HP and full situational awareness allows me to comfortably pass/change lanes and accelerate onto ramps.

On the R, all I have to do is lean forward a bit to have full rear awareness. But most drivers are so scared of the looks of the GSA they don't dare come close

Next time you happen to be in a donuts shop, ask the LEO how many accidents he has seen where the driver has taken his eyes off the road.

Even better, ask an accident victim if he or she would have been in such a predicament had they not looked away from the road ahead? Simple question, obvious reply.

While I realize this a MSF suggested action, I have found and implemented a better way that has worked for me for the past 500K plus miles and many many years without harm or foul to me or my bikes.

Some here that have flamed this approach (or me) have already experienced poor judgement and the unfortunate bodily injury or property damage doing it "their" way.

Ride on, ride safe.

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:09 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,556 Times in 725 Posts

I think it's important to note that you should be constantly scanning your mirrors...I make sure I'm not right behind someone when shoulder checking. I really hate taking my eyes off of what is in front of me...If I'm doing my proper job of constantly scanning what's around me I shouldn't ever find myself shoulder checking with a car right in front of me....therefore not risking slamming into the car in front of me because he hit his brakes while I'm busy shoulder checking. Did I mention I'm not a fan of taking my eyes off of what's in front of me? lol
Also another reason why I ride a little faster than traffic....I feel I am in more control of my environment that way.

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'trevorf' for this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
While I realize this a MSF suggested action, I have found and implemented a better way that has worked for me for the past 500K plus miles and many many years without harm or foul to me or my bikes.

Some here that have flamed this approach (or me) have already experienced poor judgement and the unfortunate bodily injury or property damage doing it "their" way.

Ride on, ride safe.

Flyboy, while I still think you are batshit crazy for not clearing your blind spots before changing lanes, It doesn't matter much to me. You can ride however you see fit. But please just don't pass this off as good advice, because it is not.

In physics they call it the "Ray model of light" in this context it's the fancy explanation of the laws of "line of sight" and though you may think that the convex inserts in your mirror clear your line of sight, physics, in particular geometric optics tells me otherwise. You would need to be parallel or in front of the mirrors to create an angle of incidence that would see around your body. Unless you have magic see-through mirrors you are not clearing your blind spots completely.

Obviously if you ask a LEO about accidents with drivers taking their eyes off the road those statistics will be high. But, ask them if it's because they were looking to clear a blind-spot and that number will drop dramatically. Most instances will be texting, playing with radio, using GPS while driving, putting on makeup, any number of stupid shit things people do while driving. Not exactly a fair question.

The bodily harm risks of jumping into another lane and something being there that you did not see would likely be catastrophic as it would be completely unexpected, and at a high rate of speed while both vehicles are accelerating. You are playing percentages and that's a risk, but it's your risk. *if you can see 70% of your blind spots with your mirror setup, that's still too high of a blind risk in my mind, it only takes 1 person one time to be in that 30% region. Ride Safe.

-RP
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rpeck' for this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Shooting the gap

While I scan the mirrors regularly, and take a good look at them before making a lane change, I don't rely exclusively on them. The old "Messerschmidt twitch" just before making the move has avoided several potentially ugly situations.

One common situation where the head check is particularly helpful is when I am traveling on a highway where there are three lanes in the direction I am going. On more than one occasion when I am in the far left lane or far right lane and am about to move into the middle, someone coming up on me from the other side of middle lane (e.g., far left when I am in the far right) will be moving into the center lane as I am about to make my move. The mirror does not adequately show what is happening two lanes over and behind you. A quick head check is enough to let you know of someone coming into the lane you are about to move into.

Also, a previously noted, a head check should be very brief (just enough to see if the move is not clear) and turned so that you can be aware through peripheral vision what is happening in front.

Never had a close call using the head check, but had a few when relying solely on the mirrors.

k_enn
Old 09-02-2016, 06:19 PM
WACKY RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_enn
While I scan the mirrors regularly, and take a good look at them before making a lane change, I don't rely exclusively on them. The old "Messerschmidt twitch" just before making the move has avoided several potentially ugly situations.

That's a good name for a "head check". the Brits take their rider training more seriously than we do in the USA. Their advanced training uses the term: "life saver", or "a life saver glance".

We have a few riders that think that moving on the bike or leaning forward to increase their side or rear vision in the mirror is safer or quicker than a head check, and that's great for them. Just don't insist that this is the quicker or better way for everyone else. Many bike mirrors give the rider a better view of their shoulders than the road behind. For them a head check is truly "a life saver".

I have copied a few British sites for rider training, and it is apparent that the training is more intense, and advanced.

https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/...your-bike-road

https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/...d-rider-scheme

http://think.direct.gov.uk/motorcycles.html

This site says this:
Riding defensively makes you less vulnerable
Make sure you:
  • anticipate the actions of others
  • are alert and observant
  • can slow down and stop if the unexpected happens
  • position yourself in the safest and best place to maximise your visibility of potential hazards
  • take a 'lifesaver' glance over your shoulder before carrying out manoeuvres, so you know where others are and what they’re doing [the bold red is mine].
The correct thing for my son to have done would be to complete the check before moving
into the next lane. But some things that we do every day or are a common part of our techniques, may never cause a problem.

Sometimes multiple factors line up in just the right sequence to bite us in the ass, and we crash.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 09-02-2016, 06:59 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,106 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeck
Flyboy, while I still think you are batshit crazy for not clearing your blind spots before changing lanes.
-RP

Never ONCE said this. I clearly STATED that I have full rear vision from my mirrors. I DO NOT HAVE A BLIND SPOT...Capiche?

And I never insinuated that others follow my style? Please do not place your words in my mouth.....

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Sorry about your son! Head checks are the worst thing one can do on a bike that's why the put mirrors on bikes.

One of my riding pals does it and when I mentioned it, he just blew me off?

That is what you said in the other thread. If English is your second language, I apologize for being hard on you. I'm not going to argue about it anymore, your magic mirrors trump the lawns of physics and geometric optics. No blind spots... Indeed.
I never said that you insinuated others follow your style. I said you are passing off bad advice as good.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rpeck' for this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

I head check, and for a reason I did not see posted. I think it gives car drivers another clue as to what I am about to do. I turn my head before I move over, blinkers sure, but a shiny metal flake helmet turning in the same direction can't hurt. Also I think there is always a blind spot, cars move, things change, a head turn to look just confirms all is clear.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,433 Times in 3,153 Posts

A few things I know for sure - you most diffenitely don't want to take you eyes off of where you are going. Again I do rotate my head just enough to see my blind spot but also I still can see in front of me.

Riders/drivers that crash into the car in front of them or go off the road took their eyes off of where they were going or at least for too long of a time.

We have all ridden really fast and come upon a car and fly past them - most of the time we know the rear is clear because we are traveling at a good clip and using our mirrors works just fine.

The problem is when we are in traffic - have to be much more aware of our surroundings. I don't use the mirror setup that Paul uses but I have in the past and I also could adjust to see everything.

My problem is I do 2-3K miles a year on the race track and that is one place you do not do any sort of head check - just going way too fast to be looking anywhere but straight ahead.

Then I get back on the street and getting back into check before I do anything mode is really hard.

As long as we have situational awareness I think we are good. If we do a head check we also need to do a front check first - pay attention to the road and our speed before making the check.

If we are going to use mirrors like Paul again it is all about our awareness - Paul is not just pulling out at will - I'm sure he has been scanning his mirrors and is aware of his surroundings. When he is moving along at speed and decides to make a move I'm certain he is accelerating after making the check.

At anytime we can make a mistake - bad judgement - lack of concentration - unforeseen hazard - other motorists grossly neglegent.

Basic fundamentals is key - and making sure we do those basic fundamentals is what keeps us rolling along safely.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 09-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Shooting the gap

Great thread, by the way.

I'm sharing only what has worked for me all this (accident free) years.

First and foremost - one needs to be aware of its surroundings. In city traffic, sound too (I never ride with comms or music in my helmet). As I ride 99.9% faster than cars, I focus on things in front of me. On open road or freeway, I check mirrors all the time, spend probably 5% of my time checking on what is happening behind me - fast motorcycle coming from behind, police car, emergency van, my riding mate etc. I do the "nod" - looking down towards my shoulder at max 45 degree angle with reference to my shoulder when I change lanes on freeway - when I feel that mirror check was not enough. That would probably count for 0.1% or less of my time. I NEVER completely lose sight of that is going on in the front.

This is not to say what is right and what is wrong, this is something I have adopted over the years. Why should I shoulder check before I overtake the car if 5 seconds earlier I have checked my mirrors and I'm riding 50% faster than car in the front. My attention should be there, in case car driver swerves to avoid pothole, tyre carcass or decides to brake etc.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
<snip> the Brits take their rider training more seriously than we do in the USA. <snip>

Not to hijack the thread, but they sure do. They have a licensing system where, to be licensed for progressively larger bikes, you have to have a number of years experience on smaller bikes and/or be of a greater age. https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-m...e-requirements Seeing some the young riders around here riding bikes beyond their abilities, or not having enough experience and doing dumb things, the Brits may have it right.

k_enn
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'k_enn' for this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Site Contributor

Convex mirrors on BMWs discussed here.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=39017

Wunderlich used to have a product that would stick-on to K12/1300s mirror such that the outer portion was angle allowing one to see into the blind spot. But I see that they have discontinued that product.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 09-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,382 Posts

Voted head check but it depends. Going faster than traffic it is safe to pull in front of the left lane car with no rear checks at all. (Oh come on. You know you pass on the right .) Add a second left lane and all bets are off with mirrors. A head check is the only way.

But since I once pulled out into a head on situation in Arizona (heat shimmer can hide a car 1/4 mile away!) I'll just let these be my observations. YMMV.

In addition to checking for traffic behind it is equally important to check where you will be in 200 feet. If you are on an unknown road it might be best to not pass. You've just completed a hard second gear pass and you are about to enter a hard right hander which isn't a concern. It's a great day and you've got this. Does it look like you are about to go airborne and spend 4 1/2 days in ICU in an induced coma? No matter how prepared you are mistakes will happen. All we can do is try to mitigate them.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:10 PM
WACKY RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage_ZA
Great thread, by the way........................
..............This is not to say what is right and what is wrong, this is something I have adopted over the years. Why should I shoulder check before I overtake the car if 5 seconds earlier I have checked my mirrors and I'm riding 50% faster than car in the front. My attention should be there, in case car driver swerves to avoid pothole, tyre carcass or decides to brake etc.

Doesn't happen very often here in the USA, but the first time that you are overtaken from the rear by a car exceeding your speed by 50-80+ mph, your response will be "WTF, where did he come from."
Or someone coming out an entrance ramp, accelerating hard to illegal speeds, while crossing multiple lanes, to get over to the inside [left] lane and coming rapidly up behind you.
Or you have room to merge into the next lane but the "sob" behind you speeds up to either cut you off, or to deliberate hit you from the rear. [DAMHIK]

We should ALWAYS be aware of our front, back, and both sides while riding, to be safe.

Sometimes traffic maneuvers, that you have done hundreds of times, can all too quickly turn into one of those "WTF" moments that makes you wish that you had taken that one last check.
I think that most of us that have been riding for a while, can relate to the above or can recall a different "WTF" that happened to us. A lot can happen in less than 2 seconds.

Enjoy every ride, and ride safe.

[By the way, Tim, I recognize that curve, and the car parked in it].

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bertbrumfield' for this post:
Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 PM

I head check EVERY time. Have never NOT done it in nearly 40 years of riding. (This, even though I don't wear all the gear all the time.)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 09-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Banned Spammer

It's 2nd nature for me to check.
Also, I don't spend any time in another's blind spot.
(sorry, no picture)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'cousi' for this post:
Old 09-05-2016, 09:30 AM

I'm sure others do this, too, but I have a physical motion that ALWAYS accompanies my head check. I grab the chin part of my full face helmet with my left hand as I do it. The muscle memory is part of the check. (I probably started this because the old Premier brand helmet I used to ride with back in the day, buffeted like crazy when even a little bits sideways to the wind.)

Tyson
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I always use a head check when changing lanes and when merging on ramps as I have had several blind spot calls. The on ramps to I 83 in York County PA are much to short and were not designed for the amount of traffic we now have which makes for dangerous conditions. I also use my left arm for a manual signal however this occasionally blocks my view from the mirror. Are manual signals recommended?
Old 09-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Shooting the gap

Hey Bert,

Thanks for your insight.
You are spot on. However, I'm the one who drives (rides in this case) aggressively and that's what is keeping me out of trouble - on freeway cruising 100mph+, checking mirrors now and then, certainly few seconds before I intend to do something and then just observing the gaps.
Chances that someone will creep up doing 150mph+ just like that are slim. Here, in South Africa we are allowed to filter, so I don't need whole lane to overtake. Same goes for merging lanes, unless there is lots of space and I'm in the middle of my lane, I'm always following cars on far right - so driver behind me, texting on his mobile phone have space to crash into the car ahead of him, not me.

In fact, we can't just talk about head check in isolation. To me, positioning is everything. Not just for the others to see me, but also for me to be able to scan for hazards in the front and have enough time to check mirrors, brake, switch lanes if I have to.

And it super imperative to ride FASTER than traffic, even if it's only few miles more - then (most of the time anyways) you eliminate constant mirror/head check, flow better with other cars as you anticipate their movement and your riding "flows" better - no abrupt braking or acceleration.

Quote:
Doesn't happen very often here in the USA, but the first time that you are overtaken from the rear by a car exceeding your speed by 50-80+ mph, your response will be "WTF, where did he come from."
Or someone coming out an entrance ramp, accelerating hard to illegal speeds, while crossing multiple lanes, to get over to the inside [left] lane and coming rapidly up behind you.
Or you have room to merge into the next lane but the "sob" behind you speeds up to either cut you off, or to deliberate hit you from the rear. [DAMHIK]

We should ALWAYS be aware of our front, back, and both sides while riding, to be safe.

Sometimes traffic maneuvers, that you have done hundreds of times, can all too quickly turn into one of those "WTF" moments that makes you wish that you had taken that one last check.
I think that most of us that have been riding for a while, can relate to the above or can recall a different "WTF" that happened to us. A lot can happen in less than 2 seconds.

Enjoy every ride, and ride safe.

[By the way, Tim, I recognize that curve, and the car parked in it].
Old 09-06-2016, 02:01 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I tend to adapt my riding style to the conditions.

In heavy peak hour traffic I tend to be a lot more cautious because I've found that car drivers tend to be less predictable and take more risks to get that extra car-length ahead, so during peak times I tend to go mirrors... indicate... head check... move.

Outside of peak times though I'm a lot more reliant on mirrors alone, when the traffic is clearer I find it's better (as Mirage_ZA suggested) to ride a bit faster than the general traffic flow so I only really need to concentrate on what's in front of me.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JasonC' for this post:
Old 09-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,378 Times in 858 Posts

I removed a round convex mirror from the left mirror of my 02 KRS because it actually decreased the usable visual field when the mirror was properly adjusted.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Site Contributor

Leaning forward will increase the side and rear vision in the mirror

AND AT THE SAME TIME

make the head-check easier and quicker.

(This is also true when driving a cage, which is a good place to practice first.)
Old 09-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Site Contributor

Post Re: Do You "Head Check" or Just Use Mirrors?

BTW,

This is the recommended procedure for elderly cage drivers who often have limited range of motion in the neck.

The point is to look around the side of the shoulder rather than trying to look over the top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Leaning forward will increase the side and rear vision in the mirror

AND AT THE SAME TIME

make the head-check easier and quicker.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Certified V4 Nut

All the playing/modification of the poll has lost some of the usernames.

If you need to look in the mirrors to see if anything is behind you, it's obvious that you need to RIDE FASTER!

Yes, I check my mirrors and shoulder.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Head Up Knee down

i'm a bobble head on my bike. constantly in mirrors and looking around. always look in the blind spots as well even if i know they are clear. better the be safe than dead!!!
2008 K1200S Tri Color / Power Commander III Quick Shift *rebuilt title (wife's bike) (sold)
2002 Silver K1200RS M-sport Roundel (sold)
2005 GSX-R 600 *sold to buy the k12s

Web Designer / Internet Marketing / network marketing
Old 09-07-2016, 07:19 PM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
All the playing/modification of the poll has lost some of the usernames.
Jeff's original poll was fine as he intended. Moderators should not edit polls unless asked by the thread originator.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rick' for this post:
Old 09-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Site Contributor

Went out on the interstate today and assessed just how big the blind spot really is. With the right mirror angled all the way out, the blind spot is very small. Simply leaning forward slightly allowed me to easily see into the blind spot. Even with mirror angled all the way out, I could see behind me with a very slight lean left. Conclusion: the mirrors can be used to easily see into the blind spots by making only slight head movements.
With that said, I still use a head check. I guess it's just force of habit.

Black 2013 k1300s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 02:24 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,033 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

You can move your mirrors in any direction, but if you don't have a small part of the bike or yourself showing in the mirrors, there is no reference point to relate your position to what is being seen in the mirrors...
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 07:09 PM

assuming you can see part of yourself or your bike does give you a reference point and also helps with depth perception for judging distance and closing speed of someone overtaking .
There are those that make things happen , those that wait for things to happen and there are those that sit back and say wtf just happened. It's not the number of years in your life that matters as much as the life in your years.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'woody16550' for this post:
Old 03-18-2017, 04:51 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to slatanik

I always check my blind spot,the mirrors wil show only part of what is behind you.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 AM
De kessé ???
Thanked 6,355 Times in 1,712 Posts

Where is the TLPD option ?
Old 03-18-2017, 02:53 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to slatanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D

Quote button...i think
Old 03-19-2017, 12:28 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D
What does that mean?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM
De kessé ???
Thanked 6,355 Times in 1,712 Posts

Quote:
What does that mean?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,158 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
What does that mean?

Can't believe you bit on something Mahteen said like that...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Banned Spammer

Quote:
What does that mean?

Martin taking shots at POTUS again but not in Jokes Forum this time.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cousi' for this post:
Old 05-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned Spammer

I thought about this post the other day on my freeway ride home. When
I did do a head check and there was a car in front of me, I'd make it a fast
one with my hand and foot ready to brake should the car in front of me
suddenly brake or turn into the lane I was going into.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:39 PM
Site Contributor

I too was thinking about this recently. The mirrors adjust so far out on the k13s that a full head check isn't necessary to see the small blind spot. A simple glance to the side is all that's needed. I have small convex mirrors installed on one of my bikes and with those no head or even a glance is necessary.

Black 2013 k1300s
Old 05-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Getting up to speed

I do both. Head check and check the mirrors...and sometimes an additional head check.

I was getting off the freeway a month ago. Got the shock of my life. I'm always trying to see if anyone is in my blind spot before I move over. At the last second, I realized a HD rider had pulled up in the lane to my right where I planned to move over. He was coming on the freeway, I was getting off.

I thought about it later and realized the lane had been clear...but he had accelerated hard, probably to catch this other motorcycle rider (me). Seems around here, there's this competition to prove how macho you can be on your bike by passing the other rider, even if it would've been better to have merged in behind. Got to prove your manhood.

So I check, sometimes multiple times.

Chris
Old 05-26-2017, 12:46 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,033 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Anyone who thinks they can get a full picture with only their mirrors, by adjusting them differently or adding convex mirrors, is delusional. The fact that 2 or 3 people in this thread who actually rely solely upon this technique have not yet paid the price for their negligence is (pardon the pun) blind luck, and luck is fickle...
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post:
Old 05-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Site Contributor

As someone with as much experience as you Charlie I take your opinion seriously. I'll continue to do head checks just prior to making any lane changes just to be absolutely sure.

Black 2013 k1300s
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
Anyone who thinks they can get a full picture with only their mirrors, by adjusting them differently or adding convex mirrors, is delusional. The fact that 2 or 3 people in this thread who actually rely solely upon this technique have not yet paid the price for their negligence is (pardon the pun) blind luck, and luck is fickle...
Those that did pay the price for only using mirrors are no longer riding and on the forum.

Chris
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Daboo' for this post:
Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger

I had a friend that had a favorite saying: When you're dumb, ya gotta be tough. In this case it's probably more like, When you're dumb, you'll soon be dead. And adding to it: When you're dumb, you'll listen to idiotic advise such as what got this started.

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post: