I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Shooting the gap

Exclamation fuel filter?

I don't remember ever changing a fuel filter. Do we have one. Where?
If so, should I go to the local parts shop ( name of shop and kind if known) and buy - what kind - for a replacement? Or is this a BMW thing?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:02 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,345 Times in 620 Posts

Re: fuel filter?

It's inside the fuel tank. I get mine from BeemerBoneyard.

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

Old 07-09-2018, 05:16 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,345 Times in 620 Posts

This is from Pirate's site:

http://pirateslair.net/fuelpump.jpg

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K1DUDE' for this post:
Old 07-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,766 Times in 2,796 Posts

I just replaced mine this weekend. It's a bit of a pain, but after getting the plastic off, and removing the gas tank, the two remaining challenges were unscrewing the plastic flange that secures the fuel pump to the tank (the illustration from Pirate's site is from the earlier model years) and then undoing the allegedly single use clamps that the factory uses to secure the fuel lines to the filter inside the tank. You can source the filter from here, its where I got mine, https://www.beemerboneyard.com/16142325859.html. As you have the fuel tank off you might as well replace the air filter.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Getting up to speed

While you are in the tank consider replacing all the submerged hose. The U is especially susceptible to cracking with age and will leave you stranded with no fuel pressure.

I used a stainless U pipe to keep all hoses straight and unstressed. Be sure to use fuel injection clamps and not regular hose clamps.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruincounselor
While you are in the tank consider replacing all the submerged hose. The U is especially susceptible to cracking with age and will leave you stranded with no fuel pressure.

I used a stainless U pipe to keep all hoses straight and unstressed. Be sure to use fuel injection clamps and not regular hose clamps.

Did you fabricate the u pipe or buy it preformed?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozemab
Did you fabricate the u pipe or buy it preformed?

http://www.i-bmw.com/showpost.php?p=802898&postcount=40

"When I rebuilt the tank internals on my GS I used a 5/16" stainless U tube from a brewing supply for the bend. The bend is a stress point in the system. All the hoses are straight now. Be sure to use the FI clamps.
Like this(there are probably cheaper sources):
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...nd/index.shtml"

I updated the link from the original post. I don't recall the radius I used (1 13/16" if I had to guess). It doesn't make the overall length of the system much longer and it fits inside no problem. I did this on my 1150GS as well and there is someone on Advrider selling them (Mouthfullofflake?).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bruincounselor' for this post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Shooting the gap

Exclamation Re: fuel filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
I just replaced mine this weekend. It's a bit of a pain, but after getting the plastic off, and removing the gas tank, the two remaining challenges were unscrewing the plastic flange that secures the fuel pump to the tank (the illustration from Pirate's site is from the earlier model years) and then undoing the allegedly single use clamps that the factory uses to secure the fuel lines to the filter inside the tank. You can source the filter from here, its where I got mine, https://www.beemerboneyard.com/16142325859.html. As you have the fuel tank off you might as well replace the air filter.

Since you just did this, would you do it again? Or go to a shop?
What else did you buy for the job? use those clamps again?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,766 Times in 2,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA1200
Since you just did this, would you do it again? Or go to a shop?
What else did you buy for the job? use those clamps again?

I do most of my own maintenance, so yes I would do it again. I have changed out the original plastic fuel line disconnects, but I saved the original plastic parts. I used a bit of fuel line on one of the old plastic male parts to fit into the female metal quick disconnect, to drain the gas tank into a fuel container (open the gas tank filler so there is no vacuum).

I used the original clamps, in these images,

you can gently pry them open with a thin flat head screwdriver, and I have this antique nail puller, may have been used for horse shoes, which is perfect for re-securing the clamps, looks like this, (mine's not so rusty )

If you can't salvage the stock clamps, then fuel injection hose clamps, that look like this, can be sourced from most auto part stores and online, look like this,

and from '02 on there is a large plastic (nylon I think) "nut" on the bottom of the tank that secures the fuel filter, part # 14 in this diagram,

like this,

I'd probably add a strap wrench to my tool collection for next time to loosen and tighten this nut, like the image below. This time, and the prior time, I used a large slip joint pliers, which worked, but are not ideal,

Hope this helps.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 07-11-2018, 01:13 AM
Twisted Wrister

Actually, my 2000 has the large nut. It can be a bit finniky getting it properly aligned for retightening. I have really large vise grips, but the rubber strap wrench is a better, non destructive wrench to use. (Will use that next time around). This is a relatively easy job and not one you should spend the time and money on at a dealer, unless you really do not have any mechanical aptitude. It is not for everyone, but if you have a modicum of mechanical skill, give it a shot. For sure use the spare QD with drain hose to empty the tank. That is such a great way that I would go buy a QD just for this purpose.
Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS black >140,000 Miles (moving to Mexico with it!), '09 K1300S light grey sold @22k mi, 93 K1100RS black -traded at 78k mi, '85 K100RS red -sold at 44k mi, Kaw 650 track bike sold