I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Most amount of mileage on 1 trip?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Most amount of mileage on 1 trip?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,550 Times in 837 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics
So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

Just curious; where, when, total miles, companions, thoughts of it, experiences while on, etc. - Need not be on a BMW
Thx! Don't forget the poll above !
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!

Last edited by vics : 04-09-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,744 Posts

Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

10,000 miles, 5.5 weeks to Alaska in 1988.
Debbie and and I were riding K75Ts and a friend was on a R100RT
It was Debbie's first year of riding solo.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,158 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics
Just curious; where, when, total miles, companions, thoughts of it, experiences while on, etc. - Need not be on a BMW
Thx!

Don't really know...
In 2003 when I rode 40,000 miles, THCR with BRPR then business to Chicago thru Cinci and Cleveland musta been 4-5000 miles. Was riding with RonR, Rob, KarlB, BW, Vicx and Darren parts of the way...
Longest ride... any one with Shiva, I guess... had to be the longest...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 04-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Impressive figures, indeed. 40,000 miles is a lot. But, time wise it doesn't meet the daily commute on the Dan Ryan!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 PM
El Moderador

Send a message via Skype™ to HDF

Back in the summer of 1991 I quit my job and headed out for a little road trip on a Kawa KLR650. Did 23,000 Km. over 4 months. However, only half was done on the Kawasaki. Engine blew while passing through Denmark so I bought a new Honda Transalp and continued my trip.

Trip went from Barcelona to North Cape (and all countries in between), then back down through Finland across to Germany and then over to Czechoslovakia (still one country back then), up to Poland and into the Baltic Republics. I went into the Baltics in October 1991, this was only five weeks after they were finally liberated by the Soviet Union (they sent a few tanks in first before they finally imploded all around). Surreal is the only way to describe my two weeks in Estonia and Lithuania in October 1991.

After two weeks of living dangerously it was time to head back to normal society, so I went back across Poland, through Germany and down to Paris for some civilized R&R. After that it was back to Barcelona to end the trip and become a productive member of society again - although, I can't be sure that I've succeeded on this last bit.

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?

Old 04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Site Contributor

I have done 2 week trips each of the last two years. 5500-6000 miles each trip.

Claremore, Ok
Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics
Thx!
Ourfirst "real" trip was 1994. Connecticut. Susan had recently had surgery and was still recovering. She asked the doc if a 900 mile trip would be OK? He wanted to know how she was going. "BMW". The OK was given. . Everyone who took I-81/78/84 up was determined to do I-95 back. Everyone who took I-95 up was determined to return via I-84/78/81. Both ways were awful. Ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk. Not the best ride for a recovering patient. But after this we didn't care about distance. We just needed time.

I was facing layoff at a large utility company in the mid to late 90's. In 1995 it looked bleak. I asked my supervisor if he minded me being off in July. He said no problem, what dates. I replied, "July". Like I said, we just needed more time.

We went west until we hit water. That was the first time we saw Oklahoma storm clouds. They don't grow them like that in NC. First time we ever saw the snow capped Rockies. Mt Cauplin in New Mexico was neat. We saw snow on Mt. Evans at 14,264. A K75s doesn't have much oomph up there. 34º in Blackhawk CO and 107º in Durango. Same day. Hwy 1 in California. Not knowing where the BMWRA rally was and stopping at a KOA for the duration only to discover that we were 200 feet from the RA rally! Ebetts Pass. Hwy 50 in Nevada. Stopping in Yuma, CO until it cooled off. To 106º. 8000 miles. 26 days. One set of tires. Memories my riding buddy and I will share forever.

What followed in 1996 was a trip to Jasper, Banff, and down to Montana. Passing the Montana HP at 80 on a two lane was fun. I just had to know, and it was OK. Love that "reasonable and prudent" stuff.

1997 to Fredricksburg, Texas. We were in Death Valley and a lady asked Susan where we were from. "North Carolina". Where are you headed was the next question. "Texas", replied Susan. The lady stopped talking to us.

1998 to Vancouver Island. Coulee Dam laser show. Seeing the 8000 foot mountains from the ferry crossing from Canada back to Washington. Going through the Hoh rain forest. And no rain. 250,000 year old sea shells on the coast. Walking to a restaurant at low tide, where "If you want a better piece of chicken, you'd have to be a rooster."

1999 to Ohio. By way of Niagara and up to Thessalon,Ontario.

and Bar Harbor on the way to New Hampshire. Or US550 in Ouray CO to have breakfast at Cecilia's (now renamed. Middle of town, downstairs, low side of street) on the way to Texas.

Having a lady in Yellowstone ask Susan if we rode "that thing" all the way out here from NC. "Yes, and we're going to ride it back too".

There are just too many roads, and so little time.

-------------
1996, Beartooth with my riding buddy. We took a gravel side road that said "Fire Tower 5 miles, Visitors Welcome". It was neat.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Remembered Member

In 2006 I did a 3 1/2 week vacation that totalled up 6500 miles. I went from Carson City to Palm Springs then on to the THCR. From Kerrville I went to Birmingham to see the Barber Museum and watch the AMA race with a bunch of buddies from another internet list to which I belong. From Birmingham I went to Heber Springs, Arkansas to visit family. From Arkansas I went to Provo, Utah, to visit my youngest son and his wife and then rode up to Plain City to see an ailing aunt. From Plain City I hi-tailed it home to Carson City.

That's the longest bike vacation so far.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,293 Posts

Since I am new to motorcycling and touring I can't post any impressive mileage numbers yet... so mine will have to be the upcoming pre-THCR and THCR in a week and half. I'm guessing around 3K miles or more.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Half Fast Rider

In June/06 my wife and I went to Cape Breton Island for a week's vacation. Spent the night in St. George NB then rode to Shediac to meet a friend for lunch before we headed for the Confederation bridge and a stop over in Charlottetown, PEI. Took the ferry to Pictou and rode from there over the Canso Causeway to Cheticamp to spend a few days riding the Cabot Trail. It was my wife's first trip over 100 mi. Altogether we covered about 2000 mi.
Steve

It's the blink of an eye from diapers to depends.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Entering the on-ramp

In the summer of 2006, I rode 9180 miles 'solo' from Long Island to the Golden Gate, on my R1150RT. The trip was 21 days long.
The route passed Niagra Falls, through a bit of Canada, then MI lower and upper peninsula, Route 2 across mostly. At Rugby ND, headed southerly toward Big Sky, and Yellowstone, due west to Florence OR. Saw the ocean made a left, took PCH to the Golden Gate. Turned around, headed north on PCH to Portland, north to Mt. Vernon WA made a right (east bound) RT 20 through the Cascades, into Glacier International Peace Park. Route 2 homebound....
This is amazing.... in 21days I had virtually no rain, no cross winds. I wrote about this trip and it was published in BMW MOA November issue 2006.
.... a trip of a lifetime... should be followed by another trip of a lifetime. Ride Safe, Karen
Old 04-09-2007, 03:00 PM
CABNFVR's Wingman

(hundred)
Last year, out to THCR and then back via Grand Canyon and Death Valley. Tried to drag Bill and Jay, but they were claiming to be homesick...

Highway 88 appears to be open, which presents and interesting route for this year's trek...but I digress
'07 G650 X-Challenge
I work for Keyser Söze
Old 04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,360 Times in 631 Posts

A few years ago a friend planned a trip for us to Banff in British Columbia. He cancelled so I took off solo. Went through Utah, Idaho, Oregon. Wasington, British Columbia, Montana, Wyoming and home to Colorado. A little over 4200 miles in 9 days. Fun.

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

Old 04-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz
Impressive figures, indeed. 40,000 miles is a lot. But, time wise it doesn't meet the daily commute on the Dan Ryan!

Anything but commuting, bud, anything but...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
The Terminator

Take one week off every year for a bike trip with some friends. The longest was from the Netherlands to Italy, riding over there as many mountain passes as possible and back to Holland again. Was something of 3000miles in a week.
In four weeks we're going to England, North Yorkshire this time. This will mean trips to the lake district, the southern part of Scotland and some nice trips through the north of England. Can't wait...

You don't have to outrun the lion - you just have to outrun the other tourist...

Old 04-09-2007, 05:01 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Don't really know...
Longest ride... any one with Shiva, I guess... had to be the longest...
fuckin funny!!!!! but true!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2012

OH TO BE UNEMPLOYED AGAIN! Back in 1975 I took my Honda 750 across the country and back. Really more like a lap of the continent, although I shorted the Southwest and Mexico. But I went fro NC to DC, Reading, PA, Potsdam,NY, Ottawa, Parc de la Verendrye, Rouyn, Noranda, Sudbury,Thessalon, Sault Ste. Marie, GlenLake, MI, Green Bay, WI, Duluth, MN, Thunder Bay, ONt, St. Cloud, MN, Rapid City, SD, Mount Rushmore, Lusk, WY, Denver, Steamboat Springs, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Bozeman, MT (of course), Glacier Nat. Park, Coeur d'Alene, ID, Spokane, Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Depoe Bay, OR, Redwood Nat Foret, Mendocino, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Battle Mountain, NV, Bonneville, Salt Lake City, Denver again, St. Joe, MO, Hannibal, St. Louis, Mount Vernon, IL, Nashville, Atlanta, and back to NC.

A total of 11,300 miles, from late June to Labor Day.

Probably 3 or 4 rear tires, and for sure at least 3 drive chains, there in the days when o-ring chains were just being invented.

I met my first wife on the trip in DC, and she was on the back of the bike from Denver back to Denver.

On second thought, maybe I'll keep my day job.

I'd rather think somebody's a son of a bitch than to have him think I'm a son of a bitch.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:48 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Rob....thats a one.
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 PM
all right,then,i'll go to hell

the last 750 miles in approx 11.5 hours including fuel stops

the best leg was 300 miles less than 4 hours

bimota KB2TT laser
harley XR1000
buell SW-1 white lightning
Ducati 888 "SPO"
Ducati 996 "SPS"
Z1R-1000

BMW K1200RS "ORCA"

FJR 1300A
Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Twisted Wrister

Last spring I went to Ron Ayers Hyderseek in Hyder AK. 9300 miles, 24 days. Left FL and headed to Kalamazoo, MI to meet 2 buds. Across the UP into Canada at International Falls to meet up with a 4th in Winnipeg. Crossed Canada and up into BC, Lake Louise, Bannf, Prince George. Really beautiful and empty country. First snow I've been in for 22 years! Stewart BC and Hyder were interesting and fun. After the Ayers meet 2 went back east while 2 of us headed south toward WA and OR to my brothers place in CA. My buddy had bike trouble so we separated in Seattle. We met up again at the Grand Canyon where our wives were flew in. I found the open country of the west to be awesome.
There was way too much that I had to ride past, just not enough time (or $$). Next time I won't cover so much ground.
You rarely see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office......
Old 04-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Needs More Cowbell

I think it was in 1987, a friend an I took a couple of R-GS's from Southern California to the Yucatan and back.

Dave
Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Going Furthur

Hometown in NJ to Moab Utah via Telluride,CO last Sept. Took in the blues and brews fest in Telluride...

5500 miles + round trip. no tickets! only 1 day in the rain...

pics here:

http://www.i-bmw.com/gallery/showgal...=500&ppuser=49

'13 K1600GT
'14 800 GSA
'12 Thruxton
Old 04-10-2007, 12:36 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Just beginning to stretch my legs....
Longest trip was about 3,200 miles last summer. Austin to Roswell, Santa Fe, Taos, Colorado Springs, Royal Gorge, Cheyenne - WY, North Platte - NE, Oakley - KS, OK, back to TX.

Some 104 degree days, huge storms chasing me most of the way, but never catching me on the road, intense wind making it feel like I was riding one long sweeper from Cheyenne to North Platte to Oakley and into TX.

Magnificent solo ride.

Hope to double the miles solo this coming summer.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

around 5k miles in 10 days myself and BruceL involving TX,LA,Miss,Al,Tn,Va,WVA,Md,NJ,NY,VT,NH,PA. Did a photo shoot at NHIS during the BMW trackday there ran the Dragon,Cherahola and 219 N/S through WVA.
Longest day was just around 800 miles, Sranton PA to Knoxville
Had a blast and met a bunch of folks on BMW's
Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Red Herring

I'm not really sure, I don't keep track except for yearly.
Ridden to Myrtle Beach rally and back several times with side trips via the outer banks and Skyline drive.Longest trip was with my riding buddy a few years back when the company I worked for packed up and moved, on my 50th birthday, what a gift that was...
Anyway I was on my Kaw ZG1000 at the time and left Maine. Picked up my riding buddy and his K1200GT in Ma. Then went up through NH-VT-NY then to PA and met up with some friends. Road west over route 6 in PA-OH (Motorcycle Hall of Fame). Then through northern WV to Va down Skyline Drive. Then to the Dragon, ran that for two days.Then to TN up Blue Ridge Parkway back to WV up through the mountains. Across route 6 in PA again up through the the Catskills and Adirondacks in NY. Through the Green Moutians in VT then White Mountains and Laconia rally in NH then MA- then back to Maine. 12 days, don't know how many total miles, most at very fast speeds but with time to chill as well. A big thanks to my wife and son for understanding where my head was at and telling me to forego the family vacation and take the ride. Turned out my 50th birthday was pretty damn good.

07 Suzuki SV1000S

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb
around 5k miles in 10 days myself and BruceL involving TX,LA,Miss,Al,Tn,Va,WVA,Md,NJ,NY,VT,NH,PA. Did a photo shoot at NHIS during the BMW trackday there ran the Dragon,Cherahola and 219 N/S through WVA.
Longest day was just around 800 miles, Sranton PA to Knoxville
Had a blast and met a bunch of folks on BMW's

That track day was particularily good.
Met some great guys, dashed (literally... remember the fly by...) to DGR, Shiva was there (looooooooooooooong ride) and I even got a deal on a Savanah jacket out of it!

Cheers bud

Ride West 2008
Old 04-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Site Contributor

Dating myself here but...BACK IN THE DAY when "sport tourer" wasn't a classification, a friend and I did about 6,200 miles in 9 days. It was 1969 and I was stationed in Austin Texas and had just purchased a new 450 Honda. We left on Saturday morning heading West with a few clothes in water proof military laundry bags bungied on the back and sleeping bags on the gas tanks. Two GI's on 450 Hondas going to see the Rockies without so much as a map. Just asked locals wherever we stopped where to go and what to see. Great trip. I'll never forget the look on the Honda dealers face 2 weeks after buying the bike when I told her I needed a new rear tire and a new chain. She said I couldn't need a tire and that the chain was adjustable Constant high speeds in 100 degree+ temps takes it's toll on tires and chains. The Hondas faired very well though. Tough little bikes

Jim
Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

I'm currently in Xilitla, Mexico and headed south. Hope to meet up with the group in Hunt, TX. for the THCR on the 23rd of April. I'll tell you my mileage when I get there.

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Thumbs up Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

Our Best to you Pete...see you then ( THCR )
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Dump Truck driver

Send a message via AIM to bhaynnes Send a message via MSN to bhaynnes Send a message via Yahoo to bhaynnes Send a message via Skype™ to bhaynnes

2005 with Ray Hazel, We went through death valley to see the "incredible bloom of flowers". Man was I disappointed, the flowers were all yellow and white. Not the color bloom I was expecting. What we did encounter was the bonus crop of insects generated because of the huge rains and flower bloom. When going through the central valley we had to stop every 15 minute to clean the bugs off our visors so we could see where we were going. I'm not kidding here, you can ask Ray. We then set off for the Texas Hill country Roundup. Over 5,000 miles in all. I just found some pictures of the trip that I had lost in my members area of the board.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Htheater

Last summer with David Nash (guitarian) to the MOA and on to Nova Scotia and back - about 5300 miles total! It was a blast!

The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. - Margaret Thatcher

You only need two tools in life -WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape

IF you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

after selling my business in 05', I took 6 months to go from Atlanta to the end of South America (Terra del Fuego) on my GS. Solo. One of the best experiences of my life.

btw - have you guys seen www.horizonsunlimited.com yet? It is a website dedicated to long distance motorcycle travel, and has a wealth of info. It was an invaluable resource on my trip.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Bottoms Up!

Best regards Pete! Hope you're up for BRPR next month...
Some how I doubt it.
Have a god trip
'03 Kaw KLR650 For the next adventure

"Company kept, is revealing"... So why am I hangin' with you monkeys?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Bottoms Up!

Last years DGR outing took me the farthest in total miles for one trip (couple others have rivaled it). In about 8 days we did around 3200 miles... When I say we though, it's because it was two up, which included every mile (and some tributaries) of the Blue Ridge Parkway in a day and a half.
Maybe there should be a poll for longest 2 up trip. Yikes!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Dive Buddy in Training

Send a message via Yahoo to sbk12rs

Just last year Paul ( Flyboy ) and I did an extended Deals Gap Rally .

In 5 days we covered just over two thousand curvey/mountain view miles !

Next ?
Sherwood SR2
Sherwood Avid CQR3
2014 R1200 GS .... Gone
2010 R1200 GS .... Gone
2006 Honda VFR .... Gone
2001 K1200 RS .... I miss her so

Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Dirty Hooligan
Thanked 1,206 Times in 494 Posts

In 94 four couples hit the road on H-D's. From NJ we did the Sturgis thing, then on to Yellowstone. From there north into Montana and back across N.D. , Minn, Wis. About 5500 miles.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,431 Posts

Cool pic Bill! Sounds like you had an awesome trip.

"You've come a long way baby."
Old 04-15-2007, 09:47 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,106 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billg
In 94 four couples hit the road on H-D's. From NJ we did the Sturgis thing, then on to Yellowstone. From there north into Montana and back across N.D. , Minn, Wis. About 5500 miles.

I give U cudos for posting that picture bro

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:58 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcurtis
Best regards Pete! Hope you're up for BRPR next month...
Some how I doubt it.
Have a god trip

I plan on being there. Rooming with Steve S. & Island Tony. See you there! And I guess I´m having a god trip. Half my pic´s are of Missions and religeous figures.

Vaya con carne

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Site Contributor

Thumbs up Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

Made my Donation Yesterday It's an hounor to keep this board up..

So far Florida for the Datona week.
Cold but it was fun with a brother who has since past away with ALS/Lou Gureigs. Miss him thats another story..
Return toTrenton rally next year .
Lost children will be sold to MOA staff and trained to ride Harley's
Old 04-17-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
I plan on being there. Rooming with Steve S. & Island Tony. See you there! And I guess I´m having a god trip. Half my pic´s are of Missions and religeous figures.

Vaya con carne

So... what about the other half bud?

Male strippers???

Ride West 2008
Old 04-22-2007, 04:04 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

How about 832 in one day ...Through relentless winds, rain and SNOW ...13 hours and 45 minutes duration.

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!

Last edited by Flyboy : 09-09-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:47 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,360 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
How about 832 in one day ...Through relentless winds, rain and SNOW ...13 hours and 45 minutes duration.

You forgot to add...on a sissy twin.

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

Last edited by Flyboy : 09-09-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:03 PM
www.LDComfort.com

Two trips around the same distance, about 12,000 miles each. One trip in the late '90s was on a 1982 Honda CB900 Custom and then last year on a 2005 BMW R1200RT. The first rip was about seeing the USA and the second was to take part in The Run For The Wall. I plan an other such ride this year on my '05 RT.
I wrote a trip report about my first trip on the CB900 and posted it here: http://users.techline.com/mwink/motordwn1.html

Some highlights of my "Run For The Wall" trip can be read here: http://www.ldcomfort.com/news/MarioMay06Trip.html On this trip I called in some updates via cell phone and saved them on the website.
Ride comfortable. Mario
Old 04-22-2007, 11:00 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1DUDE
You forgot to add...on a sissy twin.

I have been feeling low on testosterone lately

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 04-26-2007, 07:22 PM

Smile Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

In 1994, on a K100RS I went from Michigan to the left coast in two weeks. 6200 miles, no tickets, went accross Montana, with no speed limit, was amazed by all the vehicles that went pass me while I was going 125mph (as fast as it would go)

Thomas Sells
Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Site Contributor

43 years with a few stops for gas and food..............Pete
Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2012

Good answer, Pete!

I'd rather think somebody's a son of a bitch than to have him think I'm a son of a bitch.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB
Good answer, Pete!

So you're back?

Ride West 2008
Old 08-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Not the longest I have done, but one of the best:

I went to the Kansas Rally via Albuquerque and Deming NM from Omaha. The navigation was kinda wacky. I did Omaha to Albuquerque as a 1000 in one then rested a day or so. I went south via the slab to Deming then returned to Albuquerque via the scenic roads of western NM. There is some very nice scenery in the the mountains of NM but you might need to carry extra water!

After a few more days to cool off and hydrate I headed east on the slab again to the Kansas Rally outside of KC. Fun ride of just about 3000 miles.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Shooting the gap

Great thread! Sounds like lots of fun trips have been taken.

The summer of 1974 a buddy and I took off on what would be a 10,500+ miler for me. He was on a rebuilt Sportster, me on my new Honda 750. We went from Milwaukee (Mequon) to Roseau, MN, Birds Hill, MB, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Portland, San Francisco, LA, Sacremento, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Durango, and finally Pueblo, CO back home - a 1200+ mile run (had to get back to register for college!).

Awesome trip, wonderful memories, fantastic bike!

JS
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Dump Truck driver

Send a message via AIM to bhaynnes Send a message via MSN to bhaynnes Send a message via Yahoo to bhaynnes Send a message via Skype™ to bhaynnes

I'm in the early planning stages for a ride to Hawaii. Then I'll be swinging on to Australia. I have a couple of minor issues to overcome involving water but other than that, things couldn't be better.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:23 PM

Talking Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

Bill, get in touch with Louis....he is the man to help you. Don't forget to take pics.
01 Checker for sale

Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Site Contributor

A little over 8,000 leisurely miles in 2 months on the road back in my mis-spent youth as they say. Virginia to Morelia, Mexico, up to a little surfer's hideaway south of Mazatlan called San Blas. Rented a little grass shack there for 5 or 6 days for 50 cents a night! I remember it was right behind the local baker who made this killer banana bread every morning in a hearth oven. 1974, on an R75/5 with my girlfriend and about 100 lbs. of gear. Hell of a trip...funny, back then I seemed to have had a ton of time and not much money, things are all topsy turvy now in that regard.

You can't be a real country unless
you have a beer and an airline - it
helps if you have some kind of a
football team, or some nuclear
weapons, but at the very least you
need a beer.

--Frank Zappa
Old 08-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Bottoms Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf
A little over 8,000 leisurely miles in 2 months on the road back in my mis-spent youth as they say.

I dunno Z, sounds like those two months were spent well at least .
I'd love to ride down to Mexico. I know someone recently retired in Mazatlan... May have to do it. I guess it's reasonably safe.
Cheers

Old 09-01-2007, 05:58 PM
WACKY RACER

1991, i had just put in enough years at work to get 3 weeks vacation. And the RA and MOA had their rallies just a state apart, at Paonia, co. and Flagstaff, Az.

We loaded the bike, 1986 BMW R80, on a trailer behind the car and headed west.
During the next three weeks, we would drive like hell for 10 to 14 hours; park the car, tour the area on the bike; load up and repeat. We did colorado, utah, arizona, new mexico, dallas and new orleans. The car and trailer was a great idea. we could never have covered the area in the time spand riding the bike.

WE did a total of over 6,000 miles on the car AND OVER 3,000 miles on the bike.

Best vacation ever.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Well I suppose the longest would be in the order of 5,000 miles. Did that this year and 2 years ago as well. This was participating in the 3 flags ride (Mexico to Canada) but of course I have to get there first and so take a more scenic route. Left Calgary on a Sunday, was back a week later plus a day (returned on Monday) so that's be 8 days.

Longest single day was a BBG (1500 miles in 24 hours), from Las Vegas to Calgary, had to take a less than straight route so I could get the full 1500 in. The day prior to that I did about 300 miles around Las Vegas and Lauglin and the day prior I rode from Calgary to Las Vegas (about 1350 miles or so), again in 24 hours.

All of those rides were with my 2001 Gold Wing. Hope to put some "SERIOUS" miles on with a couple of long trips this comming summer ('08) on K1200GT.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 AM
Entering the on-ramp

27,000 kms in 30 days; 1994 BMW R1100RS; rode solo; Vancouver, Canada to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and back, essentially; less than 1000 kms on Interstates; 73 national parks visited; 33 states; five tire changes; two motorcycle rallies; dropped bike three times; 100mph+ in every state at least once; no tickets; no accidents; and a ton of fun!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Entering the on-ramp

OK guys, this is going to make you laugh. Coast to coast across the US (i'm a brit) over 4 months back in summer of 1976. I owned a Norton Commando at the time, but couldn't bring it over, so purchased a Honda CD 175 and rode that instead.

Bike dealer in NYC was a lunatic asylum, sales guy always shouting at someone or other. Bike was used, but only 7k miles and cheap because old-fashioned looking (those flared mudguards!). Phil the dealer told me it was a good bike, but if it was him he wouldn't take it outside the city line ... so I sent him a postcard from California ...

That little Honda was amazing. From memory I went Niagra Falls, Lake Huron, Manitoulin Island Canada, back down to Michigan, Wisconsin, camping and Minnesota mosquitoes, South Dakota and points west to Colorado National Park, on to Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley and finally San Francisco.

I have so many great memories from this trip. Some of the highlights:
  • Getting sunstroke from too long in an Indian canoe on Manitoulin Island's lakes.
  • Arriving in Sturgis on the little Honda when the town was full of Harleys for a race week. Many had been trailered there, and no-one would believe I'd ridden this bike from NYC (despite NY plate).
  • Riding down a long long long straight road to Cheyenne, bored out of my skull and almost comatose after a day of nearly 300 miles, when a guy pulls up alongside on a Harley, nods, unzips his tank bag and pulls out a can of Coors, waves it at me and raises an eyebrow. I nod enthusiastically, he passes it across, we both open the cans one-handed on the tank and ride along side by side drinking beer!
  • Struggling up to Independence Pass in the Rockies, at this altitude bike would pull no faster than 25 mph!
  • Arriving in Aspen (just a name on the map to me) looking for motel for the night, to discover I'm in the middle of a classical music fest and the town's full of music students! I end up staying the whole week and falling for one of them ...
  • Taking the bus round Mesa Verde national park listening to the rattlesnakes in the bushes alongside of the road.
  • Grand Canyon! What can I say? Too big to take in properly.
  • Riding across Death Valley at 6.30 pm, with temperature still at 104 degrees (I kept wetting my shirt with water). Arrived in Stovepipe Wells to find it was named for a reason, water in the cold tap was hot! (3 Harley riders had tried to cross that afternoon (when 130 degrees) bare-chested, they collapsed at S. Wells with heat exhaustion).
  • Finally hitting the coast road in California near Big Sur, and seeing the Pacific for the first time!!! Oh man, after all that desert ......
  • I did around 5,000 miles, changed the oil and spark plugs once. When I finished the rear tyre was square, and chain flexed as much sideways as up and down. But she never missed a beat.
  • A lot of wonderful hospitality from all sorts of people, which I'll never forget.
It's still the best trip I've ever done. And I guess I probably grew up during that time. Who knows, maybe I'll do it again one day (but next time with a fairing ....).
Old 11-14-2007, 06:55 PM
El Moderador

Send a message via Skype™ to HDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampo
OK guys, this is going to make you laugh. Coast to coast across the US (i'm a brit) over 4 months back in summer of 1976. I owned a Norton Commando at the time, but couldn't bring it over, so purchased a Honda CD 175 and rode that instead.

Bike dealer in NYC was a lunatic asylum, sales guy always shouting at someone or other. Bike was used, but only 7k miles and cheap because old-fashioned looking (those flared mudguards!). Phil the dealer told me it was a good bike, but if it was him he wouldn't take it outside the city line ... so I sent him a postcard from California ...

That little Honda was amazing. From memory I went Niagra Falls, Lake Huron, Manitoulin Island Canada, back down to Michigan, Wisconsin, camping and Minnesota mosquitoes, South Dakota and points west to Colorado National Park, on to Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley and finally San Francisco.

I have so many great memories from this trip. Some of the highlights:
  • Getting sunstroke from too long in an Indian canoe on Manitoulin Island's lakes.
  • Arriving in Sturgis on the little Honda when the town was full of Harleys for a race week. Many had been trailered there, and no-one would believe I'd ridden this bike from NYC (despite NY plate).
  • Riding down a long long long straight road to Cheyenne, bored out of my skull and almost comatose after a day of nearly 300 miles, when a guy pulls up alongside on a Harley, nods, unzips his tank bag and pulls out a can of Coors, waves it at me and raises an eyebrow. I nod enthusiastically, he passes it across, we both open the cans one-handed on the tank and ride along side by side drinking beer!
  • Struggling up to Independence Pass in the Rockies, at this altitude bike would pull no faster than 25 mph!
  • Arriving in Aspen (just a name on the map to me) looking for motel for the night, to discover I'm in the middle of a classical music fest and the town's full of music students! I end up staying the whole week and falling for one of them ...
  • Taking the bus round Mesa Verde national park listening to the rattlesnakes in the bushes alongside of the road.
  • Grand Canyon! What can I say? Too big to take in properly.
  • Riding across Death Valley at 6.30 pm, with temperature still at 104 degrees (I kept wetting my shirt with water). Arrived in Stovepipe Wells to find it was named for a reason, water in the cold tap was hot! (3 Harley riders had tried to cross that afternoon (when 130 degrees) bare-chested, they collapsed at S. Wells with heat exhaustion).
  • Finally hitting the coast road in California near Big Sur, and seeing the Pacific for the first time!!! Oh man, after all that desert ......
  • I did around 5,000 miles, changed the oil and spark plugs once. When I finished the rear tyre was square, and chain flexed as much sideways as up and down. But she never missed a beat.
  • A lot of wonderful hospitality from all sorts of people, which I'll never forget.
It's still the best trip I've ever done. And I guess I probably grew up during that time. Who knows, maybe I'll do it again one day (but next time with a fairing ....).

On a 175 - damn! Now that's determination. Great trip.