I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: What are Your opinion?
S1000RR road will be a success 20 6.33%
K1300 series will be a 'flop' 14 4.43%
Both series will prospore 105 33.23%
K1300 series will be a success 94 29.75%
I will keep my 'old' Stallion and Do not care 83 26.27%
Voters: 316. This poll is closed

Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Consultant & Former Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to locus Send a message via Yahoo to locus Send a message via Skype™ to locus
Will the K1300 series be a 'flop' ?

As we all know the BMW S1000RR road-version is about to be introduced to the world, at the fifth round at WBSK at Monza - Italy, May 10th...

My question to you all is:

Will this intro of the 'S1000RR road'... set the K1300 Series back? The introduction of the K1300 series came upon us ... as a bit of an 'astonishment'... It wasn't what we all were awaiting of 'news' from The Mothership, our main interest, at least mine, was the intro of the S1000RR.

Could the result of world sales of the 'S1000RR road' make the K1300 series a 'flop' ??? Or is the K1300 series the 'long-awaited' and refined 'K1200 series'.. so to say??

Give your poll selection and eventually comments by answers to this thread.

Ride Fast - Ride Safe !
There is no road to happiness, happiness is the road
Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: Will the K1300 series be a 'flop' ?

The K1300 series will be successful and i voted for the success of both series but my '08GT is awesome and I am definetly not trading it in.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KrisMaRider' for this post:
Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,191 Posts

Hi, I think the S1000RR series has too many other bikes that are so good in competition with it (as good or better?) at a better price point. Brand loyalty will help, but not in the long run. beech
Old 04-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Site Contributor

ZX-14 and ZX-10R. Hayabusa and GSX-R1000.

I think they can co-exist.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

K1300S is a success they can't make enough of them to satisfy demand.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Twisted Wrister

The pure sport market is so dominated by very mature products from Japan and Ducati, it will be difficult for BMW to leap frog any of them. But I do think the bike will help raise the exposure of the BMW line overall, so it is probably a good thing for them.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw

+1 My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,390 Times in 867 Posts

The S will bring more youngsters into the aging fold.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM

I think the 13 series bike will do well as will the s1000 depending on it's US price point. The younger riders they hope to attract typically have a smaller budget and other brand's already have the lions share of it.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Shooting the gap

No option for "I think the S1000RR will be a flop", which is what I think will happen. The K13 will continue to sell as a shaft drive, ESA, ABS, hard bagged equipped alternative for the ZX-14/Hayabusa buyers. There's already so much competition in the 1,000cc supersport class and the BMW will be more expensive and have a very small dealer network to support it. In two years when the Japanese update their bikes, the BMW will already start falling behind.

I'm glad BMW is building the S1000RR, but I don't think it will be a big hit for them.

Hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,474 Times in 3,168 Posts

I also think the S1000RR is going to be a very difficult motorcycle to win new customers. BMW is now entering a market that has so many motorcycles to choose from. This bike will have to really blow the competition away both in performance and price. And BMW already said that it was not going after Ducati and the likes. So this bike will not be an exotic. Now BMW jumps in with every other brand that just so happens to have been building this type bike forever.

I think BMW would be better off building motorcycles not for the masses but for those who are willing to pay a premium for technology and reliability. Like what they have been doing for so long.

If they can build the current models to a high standard of reliability I think they will be able to hold onto and increase the market they have worked so hard to get.

I am not suggesting that BMW does not continue to improve their motorcycles but rather decide on what market they want. I know with the introduction of new models also brings new customers, but if you build a new model that cost more than the competition and does not substantially out perform them they will not succeed.

BMW will always sell a certain amount of motorcycles to a certain target group. Many of us on this site bought BMW because they are not the mainstream bike and they have had a long reputation for reliabilty. We will pay more money for these bikes because we like the idea of having something different.

I think the 1300's will do much better than the 1000. These bikes have a certain niche market (mostly more mature riders) that want both high performance and some sort of comfort. The new K bikes do this better than just about any other bike out there.

If I was in the market for a true sport bike I honestly would go get a Ducati. I already have a BMW and if I was going to pay $15k or more then I would go directly to what has time and time again been said to be one of the best sport motorcycles ever built.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Go Ugly Early

There's room for both in the BMW line-up. And...having a product that will have greater appeal for the younger set...as long as they price it competitively, will certainly help a "maturing" mark!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:06 AM

I think the key to success of the S1000RR on the street is on the track. If they rack up wins it will succeed. The S really has no competition. Sure there are bikes that go faster, but none that have the creature comforts for the performance level. The 1300S really is in a league of its own.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Gone To The Dark Side

No choice in the poll to chose for what I think will happen in the US market.

The K1300S- Will move units comparable in numbers to the K1200S. At introduction 2005, I read somewhere there was 1500 units 0f the "Bee Color" in the U.S. Not sure if that is accurate. I am sure, there was plenty of left over 2005s when the 2006's came out. There will be an initial upswing among "the faithful" switching from the K1200 to K1300 and some switchers among the other BMW bike owners over to the K1300, but very little "conquest" sales. There will be higher sales of 2009 K1300S vs 2008 K1200S. Plenty of 2009 K1300S will be available when the new 2010s come out.

Regarding the new 1000, it also will attract a certain number of "the faithful" but in smaller numbers because of their demographics. Conquest sales (from Japanese) will be very low because of a variety of reasons including small dealer network and non competitive price, aftermarket support, image among young riders etc. Technical stumbles, if present, like fueling issues, transmission issues or other faults will really kill sales further. Hopefully this new model will not follow the production beta test unit route. To change this scenario, the price will have to be equal to the competition in the jap sandbox. This will be almost impossible given production numbers and sales figures. A $1000 price difference, (let alone a $3000 one) is hugh to the young sport bike buyers. Conquest sales are more likely to come from those that might be in the market for a Ducati where price will be less important than exclusiveness, branding, image and some other factors. Assuming low production numbers, and limited supply of 2009 bikes, I would expect dealers will be able to sell out of 2009 stock at MSRP largely to "the faithful". Second year production will see numbers increase, sales languishing from "the faithful" and lots of bargains in left over stock and another price drop scenario.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:24 PM

I agree that S1000RR will not compete with K1300S just like Busa is not in competition with GSXR-1000. So far, K1300S is getting excellent reviews due to most issue of the 1200 series apparently been ironed out.
S1000RR will sell also. Ducati sells, doesn't it? And you can argue all day that the Jap big 4 bikes are at least as good. Just for the same reason why entry-level 325 sells when you can get an Accord, the S1000RR will also customers. BMW is betting on the brand loyalty and brand recognition and I think that's a good bet.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Kjell,

The title to this thread has left me a bit puzzled: "Wll the K1300 series be a flop?

They might well be more directly affected negatively by the downslide in the world economy; that's a given for all relatively expensive big ticket items.

But then, it seems the gist of the question resides with the introduction of the S1KR and whether that bike might affect the popularity of the K13S specfically, or perhaps the K13R.

When the K-S was introduced it was considered BMW's lone sportbike by many in '05.
And yes, that mantle has been passed to the new Superbike. But, even in the ensuing years of the K12S, and now with K13S, it seems to me that the K-S has evolved quite nicely as a shaft driven super-sport tourer with an alternative front suspension and enough added amenities over the years to assure its place as a desirable motorcyce - even though - and this may be what's being suggested here - it's clearly not as powerful, fast, light, etc. as the S1000RR.

The big "however" here, though, is that the S1KR is a hyper sportbike of the first rank. While some might glance at both, the majority will, imo, just consider one or the other from the git-go.

Oddly, from my experience reading the posts on the website, it still seems like some will continue to juggle a decision between the GT and the K-S. You know, greater fuel capacity, cruise control, elec. screen vs. higher performance, more agile handling, lighter weight, etc.

Those considering the S1000RR will be in a world unto itself!! <g> We'll see.

Miles
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quite cogent, Miles. 'nuff said for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Kjell,

The title to this thread has left me a bit puzzled: "Wll the K1300 series be a flop?

They might well be more directly affected negatively by the downslide in the world economy; that's a given for all relatively expensive big ticket items.

But then, it seems the gist of the question resides with the introduction of the S1KR and whether that bike might affect the popularity of the K13S specfically, or perhaps the K13R.

When the K-S was introduced it was considered BMW's lone sportbike by many in '05.
And yes, that mantle has been passed to the new Superbike. But, even in the ensuing years of the K12S, and now with K13S, it seems to me that the K-S has evolved quite nicely as a shaft driven super-sport tourer with an alternative front suspension and enough added amenities over the years to assure its place as a desirable motorcyce - even though - and this may be what's being suggested here - it's clearly not as powerful, fast, light, etc. as the S1000RR.

The big "however" here, though, is that the S1KR is a hyper sportbike of the first rank. While some might glance at both, the majority will, imo, just consider one or the other from the git-go.

Oddly, from my experience reading the posts on the website, it still seems like some will continue to juggle a decision between the GT and the K-S. You know, greater fuel capacity, cruise control, elec. screen vs. higher performance, more agile handling, lighter weight, etc.

Those considering the S1000RR will be in a world unto itself!! <g> We'll see.

Miles
Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Entering the on-ramp

S1000RR will be priced right for that market, there will always be a need for top end luxery sport bikes like the k1200-k1300 for us gentleman type...matthew
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw

+2 I think this is the most likely outcome, different bikes for different missions, I doubt there will be any BMW hard bags made for the S1RR, now if they would up the alt power and give the K13S a cruise, it would be an even better sport tourer and a bunch of K12S/K12GT owners would prob jump on em.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Site Contributor

Over weight and under powered.
the new 1000RR needs to lead the pack to be a long term success. There will always be die hard BMW fans that will buy almost any BMW product.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:32 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Different bikes for different styles of riding Kjell.
A pure sport bike and a sport tourer like the K1300S really can't be compared.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the sales of these bikes and how much the mothership is willing to keep investing in a line of sportbikes.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Consultant & Former Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to locus Send a message via Yahoo to locus Send a message via Skype™ to locus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the sales of these bikes and how much the mothership is willing to keep investing in a line of sportbikes.

That was one of my 'concerns' Pat.
If you see how 'into it' the Mothership are to the GS models... I am really wondering. Are they into it as deep at these new options? We must admit.. even if we, here at I-BMW, are reluctant to go for the K-Series, that the main sales are done by the GS's... ... and are these figures to alter, when both the 'new' K1300 series a n d the S1000 series are out at the market...???

...and the total sale of the S series will definately depend on how WSBK series will prosper for the S1000RR... if a fair result.. sales will rise, if not the 'youngsters' will cling to the japaneese still....

Ride Fast - Ride Safe !
There is no road to happiness, happiness is the road
Old 04-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by locus
That was one of my 'concerns' Pat.
If you see how 'into it' the Mothership are to the GS models... I am really wondering. Are they into it as deep at these new options? We must admit.. even if we, here at I-BMW, are reluctant to go for the K-Series, that the main sales are done by the GS's... ... and are these figures to alter, when both the 'new' K1300 series a n d the S1000 series are out at the market...???

...and the total sale of the S series will definately depend on how WSBK series will prosper for the S1000RR... if a fair result.. sales will rise, if not the 'youngsters' will cling to the japaneese still....

You're right on target, Locus. I also think that the "success" of the RR will be determined on the track. That is; if the bike does well it should translate into bike sales. The caveat to that is that the bike HAS to be price competitive because the target market is the much younger and price sensitive group. If not, it won't help their market share. After all, with the aging BMW demographic...it needs new/younger riders which the RR should attract. Otherwise, it'll still be the GS as the sales leader which satisfies all the old and slow folks...unlike me, of course!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Hi, I think the S1000RR series has too many other bikes that are so good in competition with it (as good or better?) at a better price point. Brand loyalty will help, but not in the long run. beech

+1

As nice as the S1RR may inspire to be for road use, in this economy, brand loyalty will not be worth much. Emotional buys in the higher price points are hard to justify these days.

To the bleeding heart Liberals out there; whenever you start to question why we are in Afghanistan or our American friends are in Iraq, remember this, THEY started the war, we're just going there to finish it!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot5
No option for "I think the S1000RR will be a flop", which is what I think will happen. The K13 will continue to sell as a shaft drive, ESA, ABS, hard bagged equipped alternative for the ZX-14/Hayabusa buyers. There's already so much competition in the 1,000cc supersport class and the BMW will be more expensive and have a very small dealer network to support it. In two years when the Japanese update their bikes, the BMW will already start falling behind.

I'm glad BMW is building the S1000RR, but I don't think it will be a big hit for them.

Hope I'm wrong.

+1 well put..

Currently a Busa owner and looking to sell my K100rs in order to add a K12 or maybe a K13 to my stable.. Rode a K1200s and loved it..

2000 Low Budget Busa set up for sport touring..

We will be adding a '02 or newer K12gt to the stable someday..
Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,173 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
Different bikes for different styles of riding Kjell.
A pure sport bike and a sport tourer like the K1300S really can't be compared.

Amen hun...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 PM

for those of us buying S1000RRs its a win win situation.

If they are successful and BMW continues them we will have yet another player to choose from in the cutting edge race replica segment. (always a god thing)

If they are not and BMW jumps out of the segment quickly we will have collector items.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM

I agree - the K1300S is a sports touring bike, the S1000RR is a sport bike. Apples and oranges. My concern for the S1000RR is that there isn't much to differentiate it from the big 4's offerings. Ducati, Aprillia, KTM = big twin power and sexy European styling. Triumph = triple motor. IMHO, they really need to do something different than the Japanese to justify the higher price tag. And we all know, being a BMW, it ain't going to be the sexy paint job.....
Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 PM

but the S1000RR is supposed to be competitively price so what "higher price tag"??
Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Postmeister

My question is... the S100RR or a MV Agusta F4????

'02 Kawi EX500
'03 K1200RS Black
'04 K1200RS Zebra - R.I.P.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw

Really, that is the best answer there is. Both motorcycles are solutions meant to adress different questions. The K1300S is a road bike, which can play on the track from time to time. The S1000RR. Is a track bike, which can play on the road from time to time.

The person who wants an S1000RR is not going to want a K1300S, and vice versa.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Werks

Unless you want more than one bike. Many K bike owners also have track and/or sportbikes as well.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 AM
On a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
My question is... the S100RR or a MV Agusta F4????

Easy for me... With I-4's so similar to look at, so similar from the saddle, give me the one with that extra roar, extra pizazz/rarity, and on the short list of most beautiful bikes ever.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 AM
On a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Unless you want more than one bike. Many K bike owners also have track and/or sportbikes as well.

I don't know what you're talking about.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Gone To The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
Easy for me... With I-4's so similar to look at, so similar from the saddle, give me the one with that extra roar, extra pizazz/rarity, and on the short list of most beautiful bikes ever.

Just to help clarify, I don't think Steve means the S1000 will be on anyone's short list of most beautiful bikes.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
I don't know what you're talking about.

I'd explain it to ya but it's a difficult thing to "teach the teacher"...

Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlG
Just to help clarify, I don't think Steve means the S1000 will be on anyone's short list of most beautiful bikes.

Are you trying to get Steve in trouble?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Gone To The Dark Side

Doug,

Naw, I LOVE Steve's taste in bikes. Just getting myself in trouble, I can stand the heat.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Naw, I LOVE Steve's taste in bikes.

Who wouldn't!?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Werks
Really, that is the best answer there is. Both motorcycles are solutions meant to adress different questions. The K1300S is a road bike, which can play on the track from time to time. The S1000RR. Is a track bike, which can play on the road from time to time.

And you say this because????
If I didn't have the current stable, I'd LOVE to have both the K1300S AND the S10000RR!
Depending on one's size, sportbikes can be very comfortable for 400+ miles per day for days on end - no problem. They ARE road bikes as well as track bikes.... you just have to reign in the right hand.. .. just like on the newer K bikes!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:44 AM
On a Ride

Quote:
Are you trying to get Steve in trouble?

Can usually count on one or both of you to give it a good attempt.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 AM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Great! My first Thread Reply and now I'm wondering if this is the dedicated K crowd web site I thought it was. Where are all the hooyas for the most comfortable, stable, technically advanced and fast machines around? I was going to Mortons next week to talk dollars and delivery dates, now I'm not sure BMW will be in business, you know with the economy and all...

As far as I'm concerned you gotta be nearly pint sized to fit a Ducati for more than 20 miles, anything with a Z in the name is for youngsters who don't know any better, and while I tripped on my Harley's black sunshine tar-ripping bottom end torque; I know I just want to enjoy the best machine around.

Gosh, if I can only get to the shop before the assembly line starts churning out Honda Trail 90's... wait a minute, there was a time I liked those too. See ya!!

PS: Nice website & great bikes.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Gone To The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZATO
Great! My first Thread Reply and now I'm wondering if this is the dedicated K crowd web site I thought it was. Where are all the hooyas for the most comfortable, stable, technically advanced and fast machines around? I was going to Mortons next week to talk dollars and delivery dates, now I'm not sure BMW will be in business, you know with the economy and all...

As far as I'm concerned you gotta be nearly pint sized to fit a Ducati for more than 20 miles, anything with a Z in the name is for youngsters who don't know any better, and while I tripped on my Harley's black sunshine tar-ripping bottom end torque; I know I just want to enjoy the best machine around.

Gosh, if I can only get to the shop before the assembly line starts churning out Honda Trail 90's... wait a minute, there was a time I liked those too. See ya!!

PS: Nice website & great bikes.

Hooya!

Welcome Greg. Plenty of K1200-K1300 Fans here!

A Duc 1098-1198 is actually pretty comfortable if you are taller (I'm 6'4") and 200 miles days are no problem at all. I'm sure that 300 would be doable. A K bike is a whole lot more comfortable for sure. Coming from Harleys and Buels you will love the change. Morton's should be around for a long time, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
A Duc 1098-1198 is actually pretty comfortable if you are taller (I'm 6'4") and 200 miles days are no problem at all. I'm sure that 300 would be doable. A K bike is a whole lot more comfortable for sure.

I've done a couple 300+ days on my 1098 and it's a bear for me. The 999 is much more roomy...more like the K/s...an all day ride, no problem!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Gone To The Dark Side

Quote:
I've done a couple 300+ days on my 1098 and it's a bear for me. The 999 is much more roomy...more like the K/s...an all day ride, no problem!

I wanted a 999S but the dealer at the time was a dick and I passed, so never did try one Luckily we got a new dealer who is excellent!
I have Acculign (soon to be SM) rear sets and a SM top clamp which raises the bar 3/4 inch. But the few 200 mile days have been fine for me. Except the bike really doesn't like stop and go traffic through towns in the summer. Besides the joy of feeling your ass roast while watching the Eng temp climb on the display, the bike itself just seems pissed.

The K1200 certainly is more comfortable. On a bad road, it's suspension can't be beat
Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Loves Obama more than riding

K13 vs the 1K: its apples and oranges. I think the 13 is just a dialed K12 but the 1K is a new species for BMW. If it can compete, it will survive...
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron163
If it can compete, it will survive...

Assuming that it doesn't have the BETA warts that other first release issues of BMW bikes have had.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Site Contributor

I don't care if the 1000RR is a success or not, I'm still get'n one.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Vaderbloke

Send a message via AIM to jdalambert Send a message via Yahoo to jdalambert Send a message via Skype™ to jdalambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokomoKarl
I think the key to success of the S1000RR on the street is on the track. If they rack up wins it will succeed. The S really has no competition. Sure there are bikes that go faster, but none that have the creature comforts for the performance level. The 1300S really is in a league of its own.

My thoughts exactly.
2009 Cobb Subaru WRX (White Lightening)
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Site Contributor

my choice is not avail. Both fail.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,039 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastzeat
my choice is not avail. Both fail.
There is just no end to the negativity on this forum...
Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
There is just no end to the negativity on this forum...

Why do you say that? He was positive about his negative comment?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...statistics.htm

Well, the subject heading on this thread starts out basically negative: "a flop"? That tends to elicit the negativity we see on the thread.

Also, in general, to be "postive" in the internet environment, it helps to be either a Pisces and/or a "tweener"! <g> My bet is that the person referred to is neither! <g> In my case, it's both! <g>

Along that line, the link takes you to 3rd qtr. motorcycle sales in the U.S. and 'round the world. It seems - this is a rather long/detailed report - that BMW has done relatively well worldwide with an 8 percent dip in the midst of the economic slowdown we face, whereas some Japanese brands have really plummeted as much as 50 percent.

Since the thread was started way back in April, perhaps the verdict on the 13S series bikes might be a "qualified" "no" they haven't "flopped" Now is that making a negative - based on the thread's subject-header to get to a positive? <g>

You really need to be careful in which brands to consider since some like Buell might pull out if that's important to you. Suzuki, for instance, is cutting models in the U.S. and one report has it that they are considering exiting the U.S. market entirely for bikes. This was based on an ad-hoc comment on one of the forums and may not be reliable.

Miles
Old 01-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Last I heard, BMW Toronto has almost sold out their allocation for the upcoming year in the 1000 series... everyone is craving something different. This is like asking if the next ///M1 will sell, of course it will. By releasing this bike BMW is simply opening another series of clients that will come in and look at their other offerings. Some people (like me) adore BMW and all that comes with the brand. This is huge for BMW and from what I remember they are very good at handling pressure and huge releases.

I heard that they might be also opening up European Delivery for bikes like they have for cars.

I am 6'4 and need something comfy. Those sports bikes just don't do it for me on the long haul both series will exist in good and plenty form - even the KS was a bit tight - the KR was made for my body. Glad to be part of this dedicated passionate group.

2009 K1300R current - past '05 VFR
Old 01-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech

totally agree!
MWGP #929
NEW: 2015 R Ninet - Lucky
NEW: 2015 S1000RR - Silvia
OUT: 2014 F800GS - Dirt Squirter
OUT: 2011 S1000RR - Track Punk
OUT: 2013 R1200GS let the fun begin
OUT: K1300S rider4ever
OUT: GSXR 1K
OUT: K1200S, still a LA rider
OUT: Ducati 999
OUT with K1200R - LA rider
Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 PM

The K1300 will be around for years to come because BMW folks like myself will buy it over bikes like a VFR1200 every time. For me It has something to do with sitting in tank bag at 3 years old on an old R-bike, and needing a sport tourer at my age now.

The k12/13 also has brought many new riders into the dealers. If it hadn't we probably would have never had the S1000R. BMW tried the R1200s, and I don't believe it ever swayed a Ducati buyer. For the most part people that bought those were already BMW riders.

It's all about the dollar. If the K1300 and S1000r brings in new customers that means more money. If BMW wants to spend a boatload of money every year on the S1000r to keep it competive they will only if they can win which means more new buyers and more new money. There's a reason Porsche and Ducati is so involed in racing. It's dollar signs. We will have to see what BMW can do in SBK with the S1000rr.

Just my 2 cents.......
Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Im with you on that one,the S1000rr is such a hotseller I can see BMW developing this as one of their base models and expanding it as a touring model and more, I really like the k1300 engine torque though and have a k1200r sport and enjoy it emensily...Matthew
Old 04-27-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcrave
Im with you on that one,the S1000rr is such a hotseller I can see BMW developing this as one of their base models and expanding it as a touring model and more, I really like the k1300 engine torque though and have a k1200r sport and enjoy it emensily...Matthew

That's the point. If the S1000rr brings in potential buyers then BMW has to up the anti with the K1300s/gt to stay ahead of the curve in sport touring. Sport riders move to sport tourers. If BMW can get 193hp out of a 1000cc then surely 190hp would be a easy task with the 1300. BMW wouldn't have to develope the S1000rr into a sport tourer just tweek what they have in the k1300.

190 HP would not be a flop. It would just make all those K1300 buyers trade all over again.

BMW knows what they are doing.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to MotomanK12

I hope they both (K1300S and S1000RR)prosper, but, for my purposes, I just bought a K1200Rs a few months ago and really don't want for anything else! well...unless I win the lottery and then I'd get 'em both, even though the S1000 would probably kill my back, arms, knees...
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Getting up to speed

I love my 2,008 GT. I bought it used with 3,400 miles on the clock 4 years ago. I now have a little over 26,000 miles on the bike and wouldn't trade it. I did have the engine module problem that was repaired a year ago, with a 5 year guarantee. The bike burns zero oil and I have never had to add oil between 6,000 mile changes. I'm still on the original brake pads both front and rear. I road a 1600 GT about 6 months ago and wouldn't trade my 2,008 GT!!