I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:50 AM
El Moderador

Send a message via Skype™ to HDF
When we work together there's nothing we can't do - Berlin Airlift

Today we celebrate the 60th anniversary of the start of one of peace times greatest military achievements. It was great because it managed its objectives without starting a war and without abandoning those we were protecting.

It was great because it showed what you can achieve if you have resolve and clear objectives. It hasn't always been this way - and it wont always be, but at least in this case it was. Hats off to those who made it possible.

Here's a brief timeline to what whas achieved.

1948:

June 24: A steadily tightening noose of travel restrictions, begun nearly three months earlier, culminates in a full-blown Soviet blockade on Berlin.

June 26: Airlift begins with 32 American C-47 flights bringing 80 tons of supplies — mainly powdered milk, flour and medicine — into Tempelhof airport.

August 12: American and British planes deliver 4,742 tons of supplies, the first time the airlift exceeds the 4,500 daily tons believed necessary to sustain 2 million West Berliners for a single day.

October 26: The Soviet Union vetoes U.N. Security Council resolution calling for action to resolve blockade.

December 20: "Operation Santa Claus" brings Christmas gifts to 10,000 Berlin children.

1949:

January/February: Airlift averages 5,500 tons of supplies each day.

February 18: Total airlifted supplies top one million tons.

April 16: The so-called "Easter Parade" operation breaks a 24-hour-delivery record, with some 1,400 flights carrying in nearly 13,000 tons of coal — an average of one plane touching down every 62 seconds.

May 12: At one minute after midnight, the Soviets lift their barricades and restore access from West Germany to Berlin.

September 30: The last of more than 278,000 flights lands in Berlin. Of these, Americans flew nearly 190,000, the combined British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, and South African forces flew nearly 90,000, France more than 400. Total payload: some 2.3 million tons of food, coal, medicine and other supplies. Seventy-three Allied airmen and at least five Germans died in accidents during the operation.

Source: International Herald Tribune

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,146 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis
Re: When we work together there's nothing we can't do - Berlin Airlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDF
Today we celebrate the 60th anniversary of the start of one of peace times greatest military achievements. It was great because it managed its objectives without starting a war and without abandoning those we were protecting.
That doesn't happen often...
Usually, someone's agenda gets in the way...
So... what went wrong?
Or was it right!
Should learn from this...
Will we?

Cheers Hector and thanx

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Just another reason to hate those arrogant American's, showing off their abilities.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Very notable indeed!

Thanks for the reminder, remembering history is key to repeating/not repeating as desired!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"