I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > General Discussions > GPS Units, Software & Routes > Garmin
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Garmin Discussions of all models of Garmin GPS Units

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: Select which applies to you (if you don't have a Zumo 550, don't select anything)
I have the BMW Zumo 17 11.18%
I have a Zumo 550 but have elected not to have XM at this time. 76 50.00%
I have the Zumo 550 AND I have the optional XM radio receiver. 47 30.92%
I am out of the USA and can not get XM so it is not a factor. 12 7.89%
Voters: 152. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 05-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: US Zumo 550 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilei
Yep, that is the exact link that I had posted and stated that I had found it in the ADV forum link that you posted. That's what my last post was all about.

And a "yo" right back to ya "busa buddy"!

And, I posted my link because I could not get your this link in the post above to work. Tha'ssss all folks!
MOA #24434
My Carbon Fiber R1200S is great!
My bike: http://tiny.cc/MyBike
Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-J
And, I posted my link because I could not get your this link in the post above to work. Tha'ssss all folks!
Very interesting... it is no longer working for me either... goes to a "404" message on the garmin site. Thanks!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 05-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Shooting the gap

So far it looks like 29 no, vs. 22 yes. So when does the poll close, and do we now view XM as the minority view?
MOA #24434
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 AM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
So far it looks like 29 no, vs. 22 yes. So when does the poll close, and do we now view XM as the minority view?
Given a statistical error it would seem that 29 v 22 is not a majority nor is it an overwhelming difference.

I did not put a close date on the poll because it is not relevent to close it and could change over time and with new members, but it seems there are more than I had expected that do not have XM on a system that can have it... not at all representative of what I see with my riding counterparts.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Different every day

Kyle Rides With The Gods.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Shooting the gap

Kyle rides with those who'd rather listen to their XM, then interact with their other riders.
MOA #24434
Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,101 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Kyle rides with those who'd rather listen to their XM, then interact with their other riders.

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Okay, so how does posting a poll or having XM in any way indicate anything about those I ride with or how I ride? I can't wait for your genius on that! BTW... I am guessing you would rather carry a wallet than interact with other riders too?

I am not sure if you realize this or not, but motorcycling is an individual activity which is done alone or in groups, while I am riding, it is possible to listen to XM, have bike to bike comms (even if it is only by hand or foot), AND still ride... my left and right brain are very well intact... If you have difficulty (and it's okay if you do... not everyone is 'wired' the same), then out of safety, I would recommend that you remove the ZUMO all together and stick to some more simple riding, like around the block.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
Kyle Rides With The Gods.
I sure do hope to get some miles in with you Bill!
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 05-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Okay, so how does posting a poll or having XM in any way indicate anything about those I ride with or how I ride? I can't wait for your genius on that! BTW... I am guessing you would rather carry a wallet than interact with other riders too?

I am not sure if you realize this or not, but motorcycling is an individual activity which is done alone or in groups, while I am riding, it is possible to listen to XM, have bike to bike comms (even if it is only by hand or foot), AND still ride... my left and right brain are very well intact... If you have difficulty (and it's okay if you do... not everyone is 'wired' the same), then out of safety, I would recommend that you remove the ZUMO all together and stick to some more simple riding, like around the block.

'Twas making a joke, but it was you that said "but it seems there are more than I had expected that do not have XM on a system that can have it... not at all representative of what I see with my riding counterparts" making what I said applicable to you and your riding compadres.

I see a double standard around here, called "I can make a joke, but you can't..." where you are "I", and I am the "you". So, nice.
MOA #24434
Old 05-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
'Twas making a joke, but it was you that said "but it seems there are more than I had expected that do not have XM on a system that can have it... not at all representative of what I see with my riding counterparts" making what I said applicable to you and your riding compadres.
No, what it says is that about 60% of my "compadres" shelled out the $200 for the antenna and that the number does not represent a totally accurate statistical sampling (BTW... this was stated in the beginnings of the thread) which the poll is likely statistically more accurate (also why I stated that only one of the options you suggested would not throw off the purpose of the poll) as a representation of all users (and the data set which esuaged my curiosity).... it could mean that radio in this area of the country sucks... or it could mean that I want weather... or it could mean that I want traffic... or it could mean that I hate the commercials on the radio (which are pissing me off because advertisement free radio is non-existent anymore either with the onslaught of XM accepted commercial advertisements which have been tossed in). However, nowhere does it say a damn thing about rider interaction.
Quote:
I see a double standard around here, called "I can make a joke, but you can't..." where you are "I", and I am the "you". So, nice.
No, if it was a joke it means that I missed the joke. It does not set a double standard, it shows either a problem with the typing or a problem with the reading... it means that one way or another the message (if it was a joke) did not get accurately through.

However, where was my joke that you claim I made which would establish the "double standard" that exists in your mind? I did not make a joke which makes your statement, again, erroneous.

Dude, not everyone is after you.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,101 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

there are many reasons people either use XM or do not. and just because they dont use XM doesnt mean they dont listen to music or other audio input from mp3s or ipods.
I for one never would have used XM if the bike I bought hadnt come with the ant. already on it. I was quite content to listen to my tunes from my ipod.

but since I had the ant on the bike, shelling out less than 10.00 a month for sat music wasnt a big deal and now I dont need to wire in my ipod making for a cleaner install.

also listening to music either via xm or some other source doesnt mean one doesnt want to interact with their riding buddies. as kyle pointed out there is bike to bike com and if one doesnt have that there isnt a whole lot of interaction while rolling anyways.

of course it could be that some riding buddies just want to tune others they find annoying out
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM
National Park, TX!

I love my Zumo 550 w/ XM. I'm completely surprised there are so many here have the 550 and are not using XM. Thats crazy...

I don't care how many songs I've got on an ipod, I've heard them all before. XM has so much new stuff that never gets old. I'm spoiled now.. every time I get on my bike I put the er6i earbuds in and enjoy the XM tunes... every time.

L8r.. allen

... it is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission ...
Old 06-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
Kyle, I have the 550 without XM... I may eventually get XM and listen to some very relaxing music to help slow me down a bit. You, on the other hand, may want to listen to some really hard rock and roll to get you up to the speed limit...

Disclaimer: My apologies for this completely useless post...

I'm late saying this but

+1 OuCH big time...

Charlie you not only need slow down a bit you need a good bitch slappin'

Will hafta wait for Muddy to show up...

BWAAAAAHAHHHAHHahahahhahhahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 06-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
No, if it was a joke it means that I missed the joke.

Chilei has missed more than one before...

Hey, he's Army... or is it Navy???

Now as Pete said... deeeeeeeep breath

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 06-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Shooting the gap

Perhaps, we should consider that not many 550 Zumo owners use XM, based on the same two main reasons why journalists see Sirius/XM Radio fading fast.
  1. Users like me, have over 500 CDs with each over 12 tracks, ergo, 6000 songs to choose from; and
  2. Users like me, have on online subscription that allows me to download whatever song I want for at or under $0.99.
I have picked to date 221 songs to add to my 8Gb micro SD card in the Zumo 660, plus two long audiobooks. But after ripping 500 CDs and with me and two teenage plus years children, we must have a collection of over 10,000 songs to play with. How old does 10,000 songs at over 3 minutes each and digitized audiobooks get, that one needs much in a helmet? I get news riffs, weather reports and other items of interest on my cell phone and the Zumo 660 does all of that more in the car with MSN.

BTW, I do have a Sirius subscription in my car. I can also listen to this Sirius subscription on any PC I am at, by logging in. Should I hear a song I like enough to buy that I don't own already, I can buy one @ .99 and more than one, at less than .99 a piece. For the sub price of $10, 12, or $16 a month, it's enough of a trade off on the bike, as I need. You may do as you please, otherwise.
MOA #24434
Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Perhaps, we should consider that not many 550 Zumo owners use XM, based on the same two main reasons why journalists see Sirius/XM Radio fading fast.
  1. Users like me, have over 500 CDs with each over 12 tracks, ergo, 6000 songs to choose from; and
  2. Users like me, have on online subscription that allows me to download whatever song I want for at or under $0.99.
I have picked to date 221 songs to add to my 8Gb micro SD card in the Zumo 660, plus two long audiobooks. But after ripping 500 CDs and with me and two teenage plus years children, we must have a collection of over 10,000 songs to play with. How old does 10,000 songs at over 3 minutes each and digitized audiobooks get, that one needs much in a helmet? I get news riffs, weather reports and other items of interest on my cell phone and the Zumo 660 does all of that more in the car with MSN.

BTW, I do have a Sirius subscription in my car. I can also listen to this Sirius subscription on any PC I am at, by logging in. Should I hear a song I like enough to buy that I don't own already, I can buy one @ .99 and more than one, at less than .99 a piece. For the sub price of $10, 12, or $16 a month, it's enough of a trade off on the bike, as I need. You may do as you please, otherwise.
It is very true that XM is suffering (Sirius being part of XM or vice versa... they are included) due to many factors. I love the XM, enjoy listening to new music, I will commonly hear new artists and come home and find the tunes on newsgroups. XM used to have a channel called "unsigned" with very different bands that were unheard of... that station is gone. They have Commercials now (though they still advertise it as commercial free), I understand the talk radio ads but not the ones on music channels. Additionally, they used to offer online listening as part of the subscription, but that now costs extra (doesn't sound like they did that with sirius subscriptions according to AZ-J). Add to that the cost of the radio, the monthly subscription, the prevalence of MP3's, and the economy and I think people are just forgoing the device as an unnecessary expense. Their stock has plummeted (along with all the others), though that is partially due to the debts incurred through a poor buyout situation.

Normal radio is not fairing too well either, I can't remember when I last listened to FM or AM radio.

I still love my XM, still continuously add to my 200GB music collection, it all depends on my mood.
Yes, I need some faster music sometimes when I ride... but honestly... you get pulled over one time for going to slow and it is never forgotten!
Louis, it is the Coast Guard... that solid nucleus about which the Navy forms in time of war.

I don't miss that many jokes, but I have been known to miss more than one!
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Louis, it is the Coast Guard...

Same diff bud...

What do I know? Are your boats red and white too ?

Ride West 2008
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Shooting the gap

My Sirius online feature started one or two weeks before Sirius started to charge $3.99/month extra for it. So I get a whole year of it free! Next year, who knows?

Meanwhile, my wife just did a $20 three-month extension on her new car's XM service after her 3-months free service (XM gave it to her when they called with "why haven't you subscribed?", so she was offered that). But, she seems so bored with it, it may go bye-bye soon.
MOA #24434
Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
My Sirius online feature started one or two weeks before Sirius started to charge $3.99/month extra for it. So I get a whole year of it free! Next year, who knows?

Meanwhile, my wife just did a $20 three-month extension on her new car's XM service after her 3-months free service (XM gave it to her when they called with "why haven't you subscribed?", so she was offered that). But, she seems so bored with it, it may go bye-bye soon.
You have sirius... just curious, with XM and Sirius being one company now, won't they let you subscribe to XM for the "multiple receiver discount"? My first radio is $12/month but each additional radio is only $6.99/month... sounds like you may have even a fourth month already paid for if they will do that. I am also curious because I am looking at a new car that has Sirius in it and if so, that would be another radio, I would certainly want the multiple discount but they may not honor it that way.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Same diff bud...

What do I know? Are your boats red and white too ?
yep, some are even black. Most of our boats look like the Canadian CG... a 64 degree red stripe on white with a thinner blue stripe in parallel. But I stay away from the boats as much as possible... fun to fish from but not to live on.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
You have sirius... just curious, with XM and Sirius being one company now, won't they let you subscribe to XM for the "multiple receiver discount"? My first radio is $12/month but each additional radio is only $6.99/month... sounds like you may have even a fourth month already paid for if they will do that. I am also curious because I am looking at a new car that has Sirius in it and if so, that would be another radio, I would certainly want the multiple discount but they may not honor it that way.

LOL that you should ask this, chilei!

I asked the same question too when I called on her car with XM! And their answer is they are not merged enough to allow that yet. So, if her XM radio can get XM and the Best of Sirius (I can't get the Best of XM, my two-year old Sirius receiver is not capable) why can't we get the discount? Their answer is still, "No!"

Two weeks later they called back and offered the $20 for 3 months deal.
MOA #24434
Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
LOL that you should ask this, chilei!

I asked the same question too when I called on her car with XM! And their answer is they are not merged enough to allow that yet. So, if her XM radio can get XM and the Best of Sirius (I can't get the Best of XM, my two-year old Sirius receiver is not capable) why can't we get the discount? Their answer is still, "No!"

Two weeks later they called back and offered the $20 for 3 months deal.
They will likely continue asking why they are not getting more subscribers... How are they not merged enough I wonder, they are the same stock ticker etc...

Also news about getting the best of XM, dealing with a satellite infrastructure likely causes some unique issues, though I have heard they have shut off one or more of the satellites too, though not sure if this is correct.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Ready Let's Go

Anyone upgrade the map on a zumo550 yet?
Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2003 R1150RT Silver (sold)
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad

Last update was 4/12/09.

You can download Garmin's WebUpdater tool and automatically keep your operating software current.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Quote:
Yes, I have the lifetime updates. I would not pay for the updates every quarter if I was paying by the upgrade (would upgrade every other year or so), but it is great to be able to update regularly and get business updates as well as map updates. I have found one location in El Paso that is inaccuratete on the map due to construction, it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to catch up.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly
Last update was 4/12/09.

You can download Garmin's WebUpdater tool and automatically keep your operating software current.

Updates (voices, operating software, blue tooth firmware, traffic receiver firmware) and maps are two entirely different things. You cannot upgrade a map via Garmin's WebUpdater tool, it must be installed from a file on a CD/DVD or from a download.

I have map City Navigator North America NT 2010.10, Deluxe 3DB+JV, All Regions, Apr 09 on my Zumo 660 but it came with the 2009 map, and as soon as I registered it, was told I was eligible for a downloadable map update. But the Zumo 660 had a firmware update, which made it when run live, eligible to use Garmin's WebUpdater tool. Believe it ir not, Garmin released the Zumo 660 too early, held up after the first couple of dozen shipped to end-users via the AMA deal, and the original dozens ran firmware version 2.70 whch would not download anything via Garmin's WebUpdater tool. Mine was running 2.70 so I can verify this, version 2.80 had to be downloaded and run while the Zumo was plugged in. Now, I can use the Webupdater.

I also bought lifetime maps for the Zumo using my AMA discount, it was a steal that way.
MOA #24434

Last edited by AZ-J : 06-12-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Ready Let's Go

Quote:
Yes, I have the lifetime updates. I would not pay for the updates every quarter if I was paying by the upgrade (would upgrade every other year or so), but it is great to be able to update regularly and get business updates as well as map updates. I have found one location in El Paso that is inaccuratete on the map due to construction, it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to catch up.

I did the same last night, but thouth I screwed it up. the whole process took nearly 1 1/2 hours. The map was two gigs, and with Fios I downloaded it in about 10 minutes, but the application took forever to load the map onto my zumo.
MOA Member #106320
Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
I did the same last night, but thouth I screwed it up. the whole process took nearly 1 1/2 hours. The map was two gigs, and with Fios I downloaded it in about 10 minutes, but the application took forever to load the map onto my zumo.

Northsquad, is your Zumo a 550? If it is, this may illustrate the biggest difference between the 550 and the 660 Zumo units, far bigger than whether XM is so important: processor speed.

I had a map update on my BMW Zumo that took forever to install, as well, so I thought this map update to the 660 would too. But it installed in a lot less time (about 1/2 hour) than it took to download over high speed cable (1.75 hours), and in operation, the 660 searching through POI's much faster too. Last, but not least on this "zumo entertainment" issue, while the 550 was known to choke during start up with an SD card larger than 4 Gb, I am running an 8 Gb card, and other on zumoforums.com aree running 16 Gb with no start up delays, whatsoever.
MOA #24434
Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Ready Let's Go

Quote:
Northsquad, is your Zumo a 550? If it is, this may illustrate the biggest difference between the 550 and the 660 Zumo units, far bigger than whether XM is so important: processor speed.

I had a map update on my BMW Zumo that took forever to install, as well, so I thought this map update to the 660 would too. But it installed in a lot less time (about 1/2 hour) than it took to download over high speed cable (1.75 hours), and in operation, the 660 searching through POI's much faster too. Last, but not least on this "zumo entertainment" issue, while the 550 was known to choke during start up with an SD card larger than 4 Gb, I am running an 8 Gb card, and other on zumoforums.com aree running 16 Gb with no start up delays, whatsoever.

Makes sense, and yes I'm running a zumo550. When I stepped up to a 4GB card for MP3's it slowed down the boot process considerably. Overall though I'm very happy with it
MOA Member #106320
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to larrykay

Quote:

I did it last night. Took several hours with the downloaded version of the maps that expire in 2010 and I have hi speed cable access
Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Ready Let's Go

I signed up for the e-mail notifications. Allegedly we can update 4 times a year. The reason I did it was last week at Americade we were trying to hunt down a Liqour Store, and the Zumo set us to a closed store. First thing I did when I updated was check for the liqour store, and guess what its still there.
MOA Member #106320
Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
I signed up for the e-mail notifications. Allegedly we can update 4 times a year. The reason I did it was last week at Americade we were trying to hunt down a Liqour Store, and the Zumo set us to a closed store. First thing I did when I updated was check for the liqour store, and guess what its still there.

I need a favor, then, if I can be so bold: next time you get an email notice, post up or pm me. The reason I ask was I could not sign up, because I had to manually firmware update mine, then the new map came, and then I tried to register mine with Lifetime Maps. Suffice it to say trying to that screwed up my email notification settings and I cannot connect my Zumo to Lifetime Maps until it has a new map update. The Garmin support tech said he fixed my notification issue, but I can't seem to be able to check that out at MyGarmin.
MOA #24434
Old 06-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Ready Let's Go

Quote:
I need a favor, then, if I can be so bold: next time you get an email notice, post up or pm me. The reason I ask was I could not sign up, because I had to manually firmware update mine, then the new map came, and then I tried to register mine with Lifetime Maps. Suffice it to say trying to that screwed up my email notification settings and I cannot connect my Zumo to Lifetime Maps until it has a new map update. The Garmin support tech said he fixed my notification issue, but I can't seem to be able to check that out at MyGarmin.

You got it I will post any update e-mails I get.
MOA Member #106320
Old 06-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Shooting the gap

Thanks, Northsquad!
MOA #24434
Old 06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Htheater

Quote:

Not surprising......they are very quick to add more POIs as it looks good for their advertising.....they are very slow to delete invalid ones. I have notified them of several years ago that still aren't corrected.

Not to mention correcting map data. I notified both Garmin and Navteq about a major highway/future Interstate between Birmingham, AL and Memphis, TN and the problems with it in 2005 and the road had been completed long before this. The 2008 maps still did NOT have the corrected info.

I feel that this is a Garmin issue as my BMW GPS has knows about this new highway and future Interstate since 2003 and they also use Navteq data.

I am not sure where TomTom gets their map data, but it accurately depicts this highway.

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!

The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. - Margaret Thatcher

You only need two tools in life -WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape

IF you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Shooting the gap

I have spoken with Garmin personnel about map issues and several (many?) others over the 20+ years I have annually attended CES (The Consumer Electronics Show). They put all the blame for map issues on Navteq.
MOA #24434
Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I have spoken with Garmin personnel about map issues and several (many?) others over the 20+ years I have annually attended CES (The Consumer Electronics Show). They put all the blame for map issues on Navteq.

That is the same that they have told me also, however, there must be different "levels" you can purchase (like the meta data for CDs) as my BMWs use Navteq data and don't have the same mapping issues that any of my Garmins have.

Are you in the industry (patent attorney for an electronics company) or just like going to CES?

The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. - Margaret Thatcher

You only need two tools in life -WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape

Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htheater

Are you in the industry (patent attorney for an electronics company) or just like going to CES?

I am a patent attorney working with several electronics companies, but many of them take away our Power of Attorney after the patents and trademarks issue, and they maintain them, themselves, unlike "smaller" clients.
MOA #24434
Old 08-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Site Contributor

Boy has this thread gone crazy. I now have a zuma 550 and need info. I tried my zuma with a blue tooth and my cell phone. I can listen to music and call or recieve calls while riding. Also listen to gps instructions. The week point is the ear piece. It hurts my ear with the helmet on and if I have any speed at all, all I get is wind noise. I would like stereo, comfort and blue tooth if possible. Garmin info is slim to worthless and their site bombs.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Ready Let's Go

Sounds like a Nolan N-Com helmet is what you need. Check here: http://www.nolanhelmets.com/
MOA Member #106320
Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Sounds like a Nolan N-Com helmet is what you need. Check here: http://www.nolanhelmets.com/

Looks great, I will explore it more. The tip up helmet might be a plus with glasses.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Shooting the gap

Or use free MediaMonkey and level all the tracks at once 110%. My wired headset was OK to 75, now it's 85.
MOA #24434
Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Vermonter in Exile

Send a message via Yahoo to halo99 Send a message via Skype™ to halo99

Ok, so, which to buy? 550 or 660? I like the overall aesthetic of the 660 more, not to mention the larger screen.

Would update to XM at some point, does the 660 require the puck as the 550 does?

Thanks for any assistance...

2016 S1000XR

MSF: BRC, ERC, SBRC
BMWMOA: 119931
BMWRA: 30927
IBA: 24232

Others:
2012 R1200GS Adventure
2007 BMW G650 Xmoto (KIA)
2003 K1200RS Zebra (sold to pilott)
2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa
2003 Yamaha FZS1000 FZ1
2000 HD XL1200C Sportster Custom
1999 Honda VT750 Shadow ACE
1986 Honda CB450 Nighthawk (KIA)
Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastzeat
Looks great, I will explore it more. The tip up helmet might be a plus with glasses.
Thanks

Da Bride just got one a couple of months ago. Doesn't use BT but loves the lid!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo99
Ok, so, which to buy? 550 or 660? I like the overall aesthetic of the 660 more, not to mention the larger screen.

Would update to XM at some point, does the 660 require the puck as the 550 does?

Thanks for any assistance...

The 660 won't "take" the puck now, as the software/firmware needed for it is not in the unit, as it is the 550. Plugging it in will get an "Unrecognized hardware" error. But the hardware for a software/firmware fix is in the 660.

When and if that software/firmware fix comes, the 660 will need the "puck" or whatever XM/Sirius antenna Garmin has out by then (there's a rumor there, as well, based on the MSN antenna replacement, this year). Considering new XM/Sirius tech, that "puck" is as overdue for an update replacement as the 550 was to the new wave of flat wide screen GPS.

Yet, whether the 660 is a "replacement" for the 550 remains to be seen. This is because there is a concurrent rumor to the one saying the 660 is getting the XM/Sirius software/firmware fix. It says the 660 is the new 450 equivalent, and a new *?* numbered model will have it all, maybe even no puck or antenna to add for XM/Sirius, and replace the 550 altogether.

But if you have to get XM, get the 550. You lose BT headset that way, you can do stereo BT music in the 660. I have a 8Gb micro SD card with 300 128 to 320 kbps quality songs; others report 2K and 4K songs on up to 16 Gb cards and all is well; contrast that to a 1000 song limit in the 550 no matter how big a card you have, and if its too big, the 550 startup is delayed. The 660 never does that, except after a big software/firmware update like yesterday's. We got all kinds of goodies from that one.
MOA #24434
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Vermonter in Exile

Thanks for taking the time for such a write up! Sounds like the 660 for now... Now I just need to find a buyer for the ZEBRA...

2016 S1000XR

Others:
2012 R1200GS Adventure
2003 Yamaha FZS1000 FZ1
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Now I just need to find a buyer for the ZEBRA...

Huh? Wassup?

Edit: Nevermind...just saw the sig line. Busa huh? Interesting choice.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Vermonter in Exile

Doug, no, the 'busa was a babysitting deal... didn't like it. I really have a hankering for an R-S (11) or maybe a K-S (12 or 13) if the price is right. Have also been looking for a nice Aprilia Futura, really hard to find one in really good shape or the color I want.

I have found an R-S Light in IL, decent price, lots of tasty stuff. Just have to move the K-RS first as per the wife...

2016 S1000XR

Others:
2012 R1200GS Adventure
2003 Yamaha FZS1000 FZ1
Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Have also been looking for a nice Aprilia Futura, really hard to find one in really good shape or the color I want.

If you like the Futura you may also like the Triumph Sprint ST (it's a triple). Rode one for the first time the other day and liked it a lot.

Never know...by bumblebee may be on the market soon. We'll see what tomorrow brings...

Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Shooting the gap

Colin,

I know of what you speak. Been there, done that!

Jordan
MOA #24434
Old 08-31-2009, 06:25 PM
National Park, TX!

Slight change of topics... My just over 2 year old zumo 550 died the other day.. I got home from a bike ride one day and it was working... the next day it simply would not start, no matter what I tried. I called Garmin tech support, fully expecting to pay the $150 repair bill.. but the nice tech guy talked to his manager, they went ahead and extended my warranty and said they would repair the 550 for free.

I love Garmin!!!!

L8r.. Allen

... it is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission ...
Old 05-30-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bend
Slight change of topics... My just over 2 year old zumo 550 died the other day.. I got home from a bike ride one day and it was working... the next day it simply would not start, no matter what I tried. I called Garmin tech support, fully expecting to pay the $150 repair bill.. but the nice tech guy talked to his manager, they went ahead and extended my warranty and said they would repair the 550 for free.

I love Garmin!!!!

L8r.. Allen

When that happened to me, Autoland, the importer here in Montreal asked for $200 and gave me a 660!

Great!!!

Cheers bud

Ride West 2008
Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bend

I love Garmin!!!!

L8r.. Allen

I assume that you pulled the battery out and put it back in? If not, give it a try as that is a known issue/feature of the 550. Takes a very small allen wrench....I keep one with me and have reset at least 6 member's 550s that I recall.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
As my last answer to justjoe shows, I'd love to, if everyone saw that Randy basically accused me of not telling the truth. So, if I don't like being called a liar, I have every right to complain. I am not ranting, but the incessant name calling whether outright or implied here is amazing. To the rest of you that can't see Randy basically accused me of not telling the truth, aka "liar" you should back off as none of it is helping.

Now, if Randy was big enough to say, I'm sorry, he could delete all these posts and we could move on. 'Nuff said, here...
If I were Randy,I would tell you to FUCK OFF! Apparently your on the rag or permanently mentally unstable. Get some help!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 AM

BTW if anyone needs a second motorcycle base for a 550, I got a spare.

Cheers

Ride West 2008
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff
If I were Randy,I would tell you to FUCK OFF! Apparently your on the rag or permanently mentally unstable. Get some help!

Just like I said. Name caller.
MOA #24434
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff

WOW! Bringing up some old history....it was all just a silly misunderstanding. I haven't lost any sleep over it and hope nobody else has. Please, let it die!

Thanks!