I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Entering the on-ramp

New Bike & 1st Ride Impression

Thought I would take a minute and say hello and provide my ride impression of my new K1300S.
Back Ground: I currently ride a Ducati MTS1000, F650 Dakar and dirt bikes. I was looking for a bike that was more capable of 2 up riding, but was still fun to ride. I was all set to buy the new Multistrada 1200, but on the way to the Ducati dealer I stopped in the BMW dealer to look at a K1300GT. Thatís when I spotted the K1300S. It was too cold to take test ride, so I went back home and spent the next week or so searching the Net and reading everything I could about the K13S.
I have only ridden upright bikes and had few reservations about the lean and reach to the bars. The weight of the bike was also a concern. However, there was just something about the bike that kept drawing me back to it. I went to the dealer three different times to look at it and on the third trip I bought it w/o a test ride. I had never done this before and have been nervous ever since the purchase.

This week the weather was finally above freezing and I was able to take the bike out for the first time. The first ride was earlier in the week and was only a 20 minute ride. After the bike warmed up, it stalled three times. I was down shifting coming up to a stop light each time it happened. I was not impressed.

Today I took it out for 1.5 hr ride. No stalling. I am hoping it was just bad gas and not a mapping issue.
Anyway it was flawless today, so her are my riding impressions.

Power and Acceleration: Very smooth motor and pulls hard in every gear. It is almost too smooth. It didnít feel as quick as my MTS until I looked at the speedometer and realized I was already north of the 100mph mark and still had three gears to go. Very impressive. Very little vibration at highway speeds. Itís so smooth at speed, itís hard to stay anywhere near the speed limit. I had to keep monitoring my speed. I now know why so many people recommend a radar detector with this bike.

Riding Position (for reference, Iím 5í10Ē): At first it was awkward. It was difficult to find good foot placement on the pegs to be able to shift and actuate the rr brake. Just took some getting used to. I found the lean to the bars very comfortable and actually felt more natural than the upright position of my MTS. The seat was also very comfortable and there is a lot less buffeting than my MTS and F650. I am very interested to see what my wifeís impression is going to be from the pavilion seat.

Weight and Long Wheel Base: I did notice the weight at very low speeds. Parking lot maneuvers are more difficult, but I am still getting use to the ergos of the bike. At speed, I didnít have any concerns. I was able to get it leaned over with minimal effort. The bike handled much better than I expected. I am sure it will continue to improve as I get more seat time. Very pleased so far.

Suspension: Excellent! The winter has left the roads here in terrible shape. The comfort mode soaks up all of the pot holes. Switching on the fly to sport mode is very cool and convenient. Some of the mag reviews complain about a vague feeling of the front suspension in the corners. I didnít notice this at all. The bike felt planted to me, but I was not riding all that aggressive.

Exhaust Note: Honestly this was a big concern when deciding to buy the bike. IMO the exhaust note adds to a bikes charter. I really like the sound of a twin especially one with a good aftermarket exhaust. I still have not come to a conclusion on this one. The K13S has a more refined exhaust note and does sound pretty good when accelerating. I donít care for the appearance of the stock can, so I probably will be changing it.

Conclusion: Fantastic bike No regrets so far. Looking forward to putting many miles on this bike.
98 300XCW
08 CRF450R
Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,276 Posts

Re: New Bike & 1st Ride Impression

Welcome JD! The K13S is a fantastic ride and quite a capable sport touring machine. I'd recommend investing in a radar detector if you don't already have one!
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 03-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Shooting the gap

Ditto on the radar plus the after market can. Sounds awesome with a little less wadding.
'04 K1200GT -- Went in for service and got a loaner K1200S. 'nough said
'07 K1200S -- Sold in OKC; I said I don't like city ridin'
'13 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail -- Wife says it's hers, I'm just the driver
'15 K1300S -- Wife said I needed my bike again, and some how I got to keep the Harley
Old 03-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMich
Conclusion: Fantastic bike No regrets so far. Looking forward to putting many miles on this bike.

Same here
JD, welcome to I-BMW.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Shooting the gap

Btw, congrats Lee and Debbie on the new bikes too. Very exciting.
'04 K1200GT -- Went in for service and got a loaner K1200S. 'nough said
'07 K1200S -- Sold in OKC; I said I don't like city ridin'
'13 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail -- Wife says it's hers, I'm just the driver
'15 K1300S -- Wife said I needed my bike again, and some how I got to keep the Harley
Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 AM
B2R

Send a message via Skype™ to B2R

Great Bike JD,

Make sure your dealer have the latest software update loaded into the bike. It compensates for fuel issues in the US. It was a factory recall so it should be free.
KTM 1290 SAS ('17)
KTM 1090 R ('17)
BMW 1600GT ("18)
Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Congrats on your new K1300S! My K1300S is the most enjoyable bike I have had after one Ducati, on BMW K75S, 2 HD full dressers, 1 R1150RT and 1 1200GS.

+1 to get a radar detector! As you have noticed, the bike does not need to pull hard at all to be over any speed limits at all. I'm in Maryland and have a STi Driver. I would also recommend the Passpword 9500i, which is as stealth as the STi Driver but has additional features to warn you speed and red light cameras.