I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1600 Series Motorcycles > K-1600GT/GTL > "K1600GT/GTL" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: Do you have the Squeak
Yes I do have the squeak 32 36.78%
No I do not have the squeak 55 63.22%
Voters: 87. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 10-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Re: Front fork squeak, do you have it?

I forgot to mention that my bike is parked outside overnight and I stopped covering it maybe a couple of years ago. It's been pretty wet here lately, lots of rain passing through. I'm wondering if it was simply a case of corrosion on a busing or whatever.....We'll see...
'09 K1300S Lava Orange sweet......
Old 01-07-2016, 05:59 PM
Getting up to speed

I have the squeak on my 2011 GT, it comes and goes at different times of the year, always wash my bike by hand and a bucket of suds, no preassure washer.

Can be annoying when riding, especially when slowing up to the line at traffice lights, reminds me of grandpa in his "squeaky"wheel wheelchair.

PT
Old 02-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I had the loud squeak. Two dealers told me there was nothing that could be done. I researched on this forum and many others. Guess what? Its a nationwide problem with the k1600gt. Some dealers provide a fix by spraying something on the front fork, which never works, then they replace the fork under the warranty.
Armed with this information the dealer replaced the fork, and it seems to be ok.

I also had the water pump problem. That was replaced with no argument.

Now I have a problem with the battery going dead after riding for a couple of hours. Battery is good. Again two dealers could find no problem with the charging system with the bike hot or cold. Last time I rode I was making a left turn and the bike went dead, almost got clobbered. After it sat the battery recharged itself, started and I got home. Now I have a bike I don't dare ride. My only hope is that this is another of those nationwide problems and BMW will honor the warranty, or someone reads this and does have an answer.

My experience with my first BMW, this one, is that if something goes wrong the owner has to prove it thru research. BMW has to know about various problems and should notify the dealers, but this is not what happens.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Shooting the gap

I have a '14 GT with a production date of 08/13, no squeak and no other problems to date.
The bike was initially purchased by a guy who put 250 miles on it in 2.5years, I bought it from the dealer who sold it to him. The dealer did all recall maintenance and I bought a "new" '14 in late 2016 (for a heck of a deal) and have put 7k miles on it so far.
Tires and oil is all it has needed.

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have a 2013GT. The squeak was so loud you couldn't hear the radio. The dealer, after much back and forth, replaced mine. The squeak went away. Maybe BMW fixed the problem starting with the 2014 models.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:35 AM
Shooting the gap

Replaced your what?

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 AM
Entering the on-ramp

It was the front shock. The dealer replaced it. Fine for about 2 years then it was back, and then out of warranty. The problem was that it was the same shock apparently made by the same company.

Easy fix tho. I bought a can of Remmington Rem Oil, has Teflon in it and used for gun lubrication. Buy at Wal-Mart for six or seven bucks. Take a straw and scotch tape it to the end of the swizzle straw that comes with the can. Then you can easily stick it up between the front forks and spray the shock at the bottom of the springs where the plunger goes in and out.
No more squeak, until the lube wears out. Just do it again like changing oil.

My uneducated guess is that apparently when the plunger goes in and out the shock seals so good that no oil comes out with the plunger to lubricate it, and the squeak is the dry plunger rod rubbing against the rubber.

Anyway it worked for me and is a cheap fix.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Shooting the gap

what a convoluted thread! My old bike had a suzuki single rear shock setup. It had many seals and bushings in the works. After driving it for the first summer it stated to squeak so loud it could be hear over the engine at speed.

I tried to get it fixed under warranty to no avail went in on the last day.

Anyway stripped i down and found that slurry from road grime had slowly acted in concert with the seals and painted metal surfaces. What followed was a buildup of super fine dust compacted inside the seals. Had to adapt to a yearly breakdown and re-grease after that.

SO of all the mileage variable you guys have can the one significant variable be driving often and for a long time in grimy rain? have any of you you done the parts breakdown and have pics of the affected parts?