I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1600 Series Motorcycles > K-1600GT/GTL > "K1600GT/GTL" Technical Q & A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Overdriven audio when using USB stick

Hey folks,

I have formatted and loaded a USB stick with some mp3 files as I test out the audio. I am using a Sena SMH-10 paired to the bike and my phone with Nav IV audio coming through the bike system, not the Garmin.

If I play music from the USB stick, it sounds overdriven, loud background hiss, sorta like what LP records sounded like in the quiet sections. If I play the same file phone to bluetooth, taking the bike out of the pattern, the hiss is gone. I know that I can adjust aux audio levels with the wonder wheel, but that does not affect this input.

The bike is a new off the floor, 2012. I also have the no iPod error and I know there is an upgrade for it, going to ask for it when I go in for the 600 mile check and oil change, but has anyone else run into this and fixed it?

Chris
Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: Overdriven audio when using USB stick

Dealer states that there is a radio software update but that he has to get a different cable form BMW to do the upgrade. Waiting to see if this makes any difference. I'll update once I find out.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Different every day

Look at post #14 here: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...l+installation

Rick had good luck with the Schaffner noise filter. The bikes can be noisy. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 AM
Shooting the gap

How do the songs sound if you play from usb to another device (computer, car stereo, ...)? Also bad -> mp3 files on the usb stick are bad
Good -> problem lies in the bikes stereo.

I have the same problem with my GTL's audio: with the sound via BT to my helmet the radio sounds distorted / overdriven as you call it (all channels; good reception). Sound from iPhone/iPod and from USB stick is OK. The bike has been in the shop two times now and has received all updates available and also the helmet set has the latest software.

ʞɔɐןq ǝןdıɹʇ 8Ɩ0ح ǝɹnʇuǝʌp∀ S⅁00حƖᴚ
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Furman

I had the No USB with the I-Pod, that was fixed with an upgrade. I also had the update done to the Schuberth helmet Bluetooth system (the dealer had to order the cable for that). But never had an issue with the memory stick. I run a 4GB stick formatted the way the manual says. Works good for an motorcycle audio system, I only listen through the head set not the speakers.
05 F650GS (Sold)
02 K1200RS First BMW (sold)
00 Kawasaki 1100 ZRX (sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Entering the on-ramp

When I play the exact same files from my phone, I-pod over bluetooth etc, they sound fine. It is only when I put the bike into the equation that they become distorted.

Radio is also very overdriven.

I just had the USB fix done, that did not affect this problem.

When I have a USB stick in the system, there is a strong background hiss whenever the music is quiet and when I am on radio, the audio is distorted.

It really seems as if the output gain on the stereo unit to the bluetooth radio is set too high or that the output from BT radio is being overdriven. In this day and age, this is usually a digital audio processor setting and unless you have the software and interface cables, you cannot adjust on your own.

I don't have a Shuberth, I am using a SENA with 4.2 and it sounds very good everywhere else, just not when the K is in the system.

Let's see what happens when they do this next adjustment, if worst comes to worst, I'll just cut the bike out of the loop and synch my headset to the GPS directly and go back to using a bluetooth dongle on my ipod or use my phone for music. Sorta sad though to have that really nice radio and not be able to enjoy it.

Chris
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmixon
Let's see what happens when they do this next adjustment, if worst comes to worst, I'll just cut the bike out of the loop and synch my headset to the GPS directly and go back to using a bluetooth dongle on my ipod or use my phone for music. Sorta sad though to have that really nice radio and not be able to enjoy it.

At the price what you have paid for the audiosystem? I for sure do not accept it and still am in discussion with my dealer to get it solved.

ʞɔɐןq ǝןdıɹʇ 8Ɩ0ح ǝɹnʇuǝʌp∀ S⅁00حƖᴚ
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I had a similar situation when the dealer set up audio he checked the loudness button, try unclicking it if its on.