I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Shooting the gap

Low Seat

I was looking as some old post on another forum and saw where a guy was selling a low seat for a 07 K1200GT.

is there such a thing, i am thinking of getting another RDL seat for this one too and starting with a low seat pan might be the way to go?

Thanks
'12' R1200GS
IBA #64066
Old 05-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Low Seat

Yes.

SEAT HEIGHTS:
There were two seat heights for your 2007 K1200GT: The standard seat and the "low seat" (as described in the BMW sales brochure). The low seats were very uncommon. It will be challenging for you to find one today.

In those days, K1200GTs were so popular that the dealers could not keep them in the showrooms. Most were bought and paid for by customers before they were delivered to the dealer. Finding a dealer who had one to look at was difficult, and the K1200GTs that were on the floor had a sign that said, "SOLD! DO NOT TOUCH!". It was picked up by the new owner within hours of its arrival. Basically the dealers ordered them months in advance without knowing who the customers would be, and they almost always ordered the standard seats.

SEAT POSITION ADJUSTMENT:
FYI, the K1200GT and K1300GT motorcycles have an adjustment in the frame where the rider's seat attaches in the front at the tank. It looks like a "barbell" with black wheels and a silver bar between them. There is a high and a low position on the adjustment. Before you start searching for a low seat, make sure that the rider seat position adjustment on your K1200GT is set to the low setting.

SEAT TYPES:
There were two seat types for the 2007 model year K1200GT:

The 2007 seats that were manufactured from July-November 2006 are the early type and match the seats that came with the 2006 K1200GT.

The 2007 seats that were manufactured in December 2006 - May 2007 are the late type. They match the seats that came with the 2008 K1200GT and the K1300GTs.

The rider and passenger seats must be the same type - they are a matched pair. You cannot buy a 2006 rider seat and a 2008 passenger seat and have them work together. See this photo:

http://www.sargentcycle.com/core/med...b1954f92d04646

In general, most riders hated the early type seats, which is why BMW changed the design. A few riders preferred them, but not many. A few lucky 2006 and 2007 model riders complained enough that they got BMW to exchange their early seats for late ones.

Despite what they claim, custom saddles (such as RDL) almost invariably add height to the existing seat. They need space to do their magic. Sometimes they can reduce the padding in the front horn of the saddle so that you can slide forward and plant your feet at stops. You want to make sure that it isn't tilted in a way that constantly drives your pelvis forward into the tank, which is uncomfortable.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'XMagnaRider' for this post:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:39 PM
Shooting the gap

Thanks X

my bike does have the adjuster for high/low.

do you know if the low pan was different than the regular pan?

I had a RDL on my 06 GT and now I have one on my GS so I know about the height and COMFORT

if there is a low seat pan i was thinking of using one to cover with a RDL for starters.

I bookmarked the pictures and I will check my seat this weekend as I have to put it up on the table and pull the ABS unit.
'12' R1200GS
IBA #64066
Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 AM
Site Contributor

Hi Steve,

You're welcome.

I am sorry, but I do not know the physical difference between a low seat and a standard seat for the K1200GT. All I know is that the two seat heights exist.

When I bought my K1200GT in June 2007, I asked the dealer's salesperson if it would be possible to exchange the standard seat for a low seat, and the answer was definitely no. The dealers were having a hard time finding low seats themselves. Most (all?) of them were allocated to customers who had specifically ordered them. There were no low seats to spare. As I said earlier, they were (and are) very rare.

I looked through the files that I had saved when I was shopping for my K1200GT. I found some old information, but none of them describes the actual construction of the lower seat. See the attached files.

The "07-K1200GT.pdf" file appears to be from a briefing for BMW Motorcycle salespeople. See page 8 for a brief mention of the low seat. The "k1200gt.pdf" file is a standard BMW data sheet. The last entry on the bottom right mentions the low seat.

I also found this paragraph from an article on WebBikeWorld that I had archived:

"To provide these advantages, the seat has an extremely slender waistline exactly where the rider sits, enabling him to easily reach the ground and offering a very comfortable knee angle. And to provide the final touch of perfection, the standard seat can be set to a height of either 820 or 840 millimeters (32.3 or 33.1"). A lower seat is available as an alternative for the not-so-tall rider (optional, with minimum seat height of 800 mm/31.5")."

Link: http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-moto...bmw-k-1200-gt/

-- XMR
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 07-K1200GT.pdf (359.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf k1200gt.pdf (23.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:35 PM
Shooting the gap

Very good info X, thanks

I guess if I can find one I will see if they will take pictures.

I have a bit of time I guess as I have to sell 2 dirt bikes first
'12' R1200GS
IBA #64066
Old 05-26-2016, 05:35 PM
Shooting the gap

sorry bad mouse, it can double click on its own at time and if I am posting a message it will post it twice.
'12' R1200GS
IBA #64066