I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > BMW R-Series
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

BMW R-Series Discussions of the Boxers EXCEPT the GS/GSA

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,106 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy
GS/A Tutorial(s)

Maybe make this a sticky? OK, I did.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/JVB_Productions.html

Jim can be found over at ADV and willing to help one and all. Also, I have the Valve DVD if anyone ever needs to borrow it

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 PM
GS Originator

Re: GS/A Tutorial(s)

GS's are for sissies.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Twisted Wrister

maybe so..but try rid'n one in soft sand..a real sphincter tightener!!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy
maybe so..but try rid'n one in soft sand..a real sphincter tightener!!
Which expains, why it is the official and preferred choice of gay bikers. Right, Paul?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Twisted Wrister

Name's not Paul..and I ain't of the AC/DC type..
Old 12-05-2009, 05:30 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Quote:

I'm Paul, and it was me that the post was aimed at..coming from a Green GT rider, I take everything Richie says with a grain of salt. Besides, he could never reach the ground riding a GS or GSA..hence, he never will.

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Do a site search for the Ultimate GS rider and bike. Paul's buddy, Ray of NYC!!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I'm Paul, and it was me that the post was aimed at..coming from a Green GT rider, I take everything Richie says with a grain of salt. Besides, he could never reach the ground riding a GS or GSA..hence, he never will.
Your right, I don't have a buddy like Ray to help me left my legs up over my head to get on one.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 AM
(Moderator) Drinks good beer!
Thanked 1,264 Times in 776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
. Besides, he could never reach the ground riding a GS or GSA..hence, he never will.

Sorry Paul but you are wrong....Richie would hit the ground each and every time he with a GS, just not the elegant way.

I can't drink american beer!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''
IBA #60362 - Iron butt from DGR - Quebec

FIND OUT ABOUT 2018 DGR HERE:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
Old 12-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
Sorry Paul but you are wrong....Richie would hit the ground each and every time he with a GS, just not the elegant way.
And, who dropped his GS with his wife on it?
Old 12-25-2009, 01:54 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Tire changing system(s)..0n the road and in remote places......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=533812&page=2

Pasted on this thead for your convenience....

"Some comments from Mr. BestRest about tire changing… By way of disclosure, I’m a Vile Vendor. But I’m also a GS Rider who once struggled with tire changes. What follows is info that some will find helpful. Please don’t consider this to be a commercial message intended to get you to buy my gear. Instead it’s meant to inform and educate, and to remove some of the drama that comes from tire changes.

With 3 GS's in the garage, I get plenty of opportunities to change tires. I usually go thru about 2 sets of tires, per bike, per year. That’s 12 tires in a season, plus those I do for my friends or as part of a rally demo. I guess you could say I've gotten pretty good at it. I’ve learned a few tricks along the way… thru trial and (sometimes painful) error.

I invented the TireIron BeadBrakR because I wanted a portable tool I could use to change or repair tires ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. That includes some dusty trail in the middle of nowhere, or along the Haul Road in Alaska, or on top of the Continental Divide. Or even in the untamed wilderness of my garage.

My best elapsed time to change both tires on the R12GS was just over 1 hour, including taking the wheels off the bike and putting them back on. (I’m sure many of you are faster, but the elapsed time gives the reader an idea of how quickly it can be done.) The F800 takes longer because you've gotta be careful with the tubes, and taking the wheels off the bike is a royal pain in the neck, not nearly as easy as the R12.

When I change a tire I’ve vowed to use ONLY the tools I actually carry on the bike. Even though I have access to shop tools, big tire irons, special stands, 2x4 bead breakers, and a tire machine, I don't succumb to their siren call or give into the temptation to take the easy way out. I figure the opportunity to use my traveling kit will prepare me for field conditions. A couple decades of “train with what you carry” instilled that concept.

If I find I don't have a certain wrench to change a tire, I add that tool to my onboard kit. No fair going to the tool chest, even if nobody's watching. Cool tools in my garage won’t do me any good when I’m 500 miles from home.

I’m not throwing stones at posts showcasing homebrew tire stands or 2x4 bead breakers, or 18” tire irons, or C-clamps, or other tools helpful to the tire changing process. Those are ALL good ideas and we should keep them in our bag ‘o-tricks. There's more than one way to skin a cat, or change a tire. Keep them coming!

Some riders don’t reckon they’ll be making changes or tire repairs in the field. That group wants garage-sized tools to make the process go as quick and easy as possible. There’s definitely a place for a Coats tire changers, floor mounted stands, etc. Of course the ultimate tool for tire changing is the Credit Card, wielded with ninja skill from the comfort of the dealer’s waiting room. I’ve also used that method in the past and it worked every time.

My post is for riders who are looking for something they can use at home, as well as on the road or trail. By themselves, without any help. Something they can carry with them, something they can count on to work every time. Something that doesn’t take superhuman strength, or luck. Something stronger than a side stand.

So what are my tips for quick and easy tire changing?
  • 1. Lube. Can't say enough about that. Be generous.
  • 2. Lube location. Putting it in the right places makes all the difference.
  • 3. Lube type. The type of lube you use is important, too. In a pinch you can use dish soap, WD40, shampoo, even motor oil. These aren’t recommended, but if you’re desperate they’ll save the day. The best lubes are products specially designed for tire changing – slippery when wet and sticky when dry.
  • 4. Tire temperature. Warm tires go on easier. Put them in the sun to warm up and they’ll be easier to spoon on (or off) the rims. If you’re working in the cold garage, take them inside for a few hours. If you have no way of warming them up, you can still put them on “cold”, you’ll just hafta work a bit harder.
  • 5. Tire age. Old tires get hard and stiff. So if you’re taking off a 3-year old TKC knobby, expect it to be a bit stubborn. Heat and lube will tame the beast.
  • 6. Tire irons. Sure, 18” irons make things easier, but you really don’t need them. A trio of 8” steel irons is sufficient. For the techno geeks among us, Aerostich Titanium Tar Arns are hard to beat. Their strength, featherweight, and sophisticated spoons, bends, and ends make the job go easier. But like I said, simple 8” irons are enough. It’s all about technique.
  • 7. Tire iron placement. Knowing where to put your irons is paramount. If you put them in the RIGHT place you can almost change tires with a Bic pen or a fingernail file. If you put them in the WRONG place you’re gonna need those 18” shop irons, and you’ll bend them in the process.
What I use in the garage also I use in the field. My tire changing kit consists of the following:

..................1 (each) BestRest TireIron BeadBrakR. Period. Nothing else. That kit contains everything you need, including three tire irons, lube, rim protectors, and a valve stem tool. The tire irons assemble into a bead breaking device, then they serve dual duty when they spoon the rubber off the rim.

Of course I also need the tools required to remove the wheel from the bike. A towel or a mat to kneel upon is helpful but not necessary. Did I mention that I Carry All The Tools All The Time? CATTATT. I also have tire repair patches, plugs, and other bits in my kit.

I don’t carry or use wooden blocks to hold the wheel up off the ground, to prevent the rotors from contacting the ground. The geometry of the BeadBrakR is such that when the tool is being used, the rotors don’t touch actually the ground, so no worries there. But when it comes time to spoon the rubber on or off the rim you might check ground-to-rotor clearances. A couple rolled up rags under the outer edges of the rim will keep the rotors from contacting your work surface.

Tire changing can be broken down into these simple steps:
  • 1. Remove wheel from the bike
  • 2. Deflate tire, remove valve core
  • 3. Break the bead
  • 4. Lube the 1st side of the tire and spoon it off
  • 5. Remove the tube (if you’re using tubed tires)
  • 6. Lube the 2nd side of the tire and spoon it off
  • 7. Replace the valve stem (optional, when using tubeless tires)
  • 8. Lube the 1st side of the new tire and spoon it on
  • 9. Install the tube (if using tubed tires)
  • 10. Lube the 2nd side of the new tire and spoon it on
  • 11. Install valve core and re-inflate the tire until bead pops in place
  • 12. Check for proper seating of the tire on the rim
  • 13. Balance tire (I use Dyna Beads)
  • 14. Re-install the wheel on the bike
After you’ve done it once, the mystery is gone. Seeing is believing.

Here at BestRest we’ve been working on a narrated step-by-step tire changing slide show, featuring the BeadBrakR. It’s a work in progress, unfortunately its been delayed by other projects. We have the photos, arranged in sequence. We have many of the captions, which give a brief description of what’s going on in that photo. We’re working on the narration now. Hopefully this slide show will explain the use of the BeadBrakR, dispel some myths about tire changes, and encourage riders to change their own tires.

You can preview those photos on our SmugMug site. There’s a lot of them (about 250), many will be edited in the final cut. The first few pages show the assembly of the BeadBrakR, the last pages show proven techniques for spooning tires on and off.

http://bestrest.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...14228772_VSrhZ

• Pages 1-5 show the BeadBrakR components, and how to assemble
  • Pages 6-8 show the bead breaking process
  • Page 9 shows rim protectors and lubing for demounting the tire
  • Page 10 shows spooning off the 1st side of the tire
  • Page 11 shows lubing the 2nd side of the tire
  • Page 12 shows spooning off the 2nd side of the tire
  • Page 13 shows replacement of the valve stem
  • Page 14 shows putting the tire back on the rim, 1st side lube and spooning
  • Page 15 shows 2nd side lube and spooning
  • Page 17 shows how to use the BeadBrakR components to lever the tire open for tube repairs
If you study the photos and read the captions, you're well on your way toward being able to do-it-yerself. Of course it's always helpful to have a mentor, someone who's done it themselves, someone to give you those small pointers that turn an otherwise frustrating experience into a "WOW I didn't know it was that easy!". Hopefully this preliminary slide show helps a bit.

The above worked for me. YMMV. __________________
David Petersen
Mr. BestRest
F800GS
R12GS Adventure
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 12-31-2009, 07:40 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

90* valve stems...

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Heres a useful resource from Britain to help those afflicted with GS ownership
Stewart

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123
Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

OIL Change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIxdCER3PxU

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Brake Pads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG4bf...eature=related

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD