I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Exclamation Fuel Leak

Hello all
I just recently purchased a 2006 k1200gt with 10k miles on it and went for my first ride yesterday. What a fun time that was! I have been riding a VROD but it is more of a short distance machine and was looking for something that was better for long distance trips. Any way after putting 200 miles on it, I parked it back home and notice fuel drops leaking out of one of the three hoses that hang from below the bike. I have read on the forums about some fuel leaks but nothing regarding it just dripping from inside one of the hoses. Put a jar under the bike and overnight it collected a little less than a liter. I don't have a service manual for it yet as I just got the bike. So my question is are there supposed to be three hoses hanging from the bottom of the bike close to the left foot peg. If there are, any ideas of what could be causing the fuel to slowly drip from one of the hoses? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lacjasko
Old 04-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Re: Fuel Leak

Scott, welcome too i-BMW.

The 3 hose's, one is an overflow from the coolant recovery bottle.
2nd is an overflow from the top of the fuel tank.
3rd is a drain from the fuel tank filler, that runs thru the tank, and comes out the fuel pump assembly.
My guess (if tank was not overfilled) is the 3rd hose has deteriorated or has a loose internal clamp.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:14 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks paulmogs. I feel really dumb for asking but what is the purpose of a drain line on the fuel tank filler? Is it for draining the tank and if so, is there a valve or a clamp that is supposed to be opened for specifically draining the tank? I went out tonight and clamped the hose shut just to make sure the fuel was leaking from the inside out f the hose vs leaking down the side of the hose. It seems to have stopped the drip so whatever is leaking, it is running down the inside of the tube.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

So that if you over-fill with fuel, there is drainage from said area around fuel cap.

Or, for when you park the bike in the rain, without cover.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Getting up to speed

Lacjasko - congrats on the new GT....

You may want to take a look at the threads here that discuss the 'Canisterectomy'. There's an overflow canister that is supposed to contain fuel gases from overfills at the pump - if this canister becomes clogged - it can eventually create enough vacuum pressure to cause your fuel tank to fail! However, that doesn't seem to be problem you describe here -- but I would check to see if the previous owner performed the canisterectomy. If you over-filled at the pump - that would explain the gas in the drain line...

I had my canister fail on my 07 GT and I haven't gotten around to doing the canisterectomy - but I'm going to.... For now, I just stop filling and don't 'top off' at the pump....

BTW, my K1200GT is one the best bikes I've ever owned - it's been a reliable ride and I've grown to know it better through the knowledge on this forum...

Enjoy!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for the info RCU2WYO. I will read up on the issue. I have only taken it on one ride but had a grin on my face from ear to ear once I kind of figured out how mitigate the clunkiness of the transmission. Also, there seems to be much more engine braking when you let up on the throttle vs my VROD. I usually ride with a group of Harley riders, but I can certainly see myself as being a renegade in the group and ride the KGT instead of my VROD but I am afraid I will get bored riding at the ho-hum pace. Was pretty impressed at how the KGT can hustle through the twisties. Also, having the fairing, windshield, handgrip and seat heaters were nice on a colder day. Pretty comfortable without having to wear leather.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaskowiak
[...] Also, there seems to be much more engine braking when you let up on the throttle vs my VROD.[...]
The early models had very strong engine braking. When I first bought my 2007 K1200GT new, I was surprised by the very strong engine breaking. Rolling off the throttle was like applying the brakes firmly. This is a level of throttle control that I was not used to - I want to coast when I roll off the throttle.

BMW released a software update for the K1200GT that reduced the engine braking to what I would call a normal, reasonable level. If I recall correctly, that particular software update came out in late 2007 or early 2008. I wonder whether your 2006 K1200GT already has that update or not.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for providing more info about the bike, I will have to inquire about the update. After reading about some of the surging issues Etc associated with the earlier models, I am a little hesitant to update the software since I don't have any of those issues and the bike runs pretty well other than the engine braking. Have quite a few of the early models had the software update with no ill effects on the way the bike runs otherwise?
Old 04-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Site Contributor

Here is a thread where I talk about the software upgrade, engine braking, and airbox replacement experience, back in 2008:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12...xperience.html

In general, almost everyone has been pleased with the various software updates and improvements. Speaking for myself, I was very pleased with the engine breaking improvement. When I first got the K1200GT, it would "brake" hard when I rolled off the throttle. The slowdown was dramatic and obvious. If I wanted to slow down to a certain speed, I would have to manually control the rate of throttle closure in order to control the amount of braking the engine applied. I suppose that racers appreciate that level of control, but not me. I wanted to be able to roll off the throttle, coast to the desired speed, and roll the throttle on again to maintain the new, slower speed.

After the software update, I get a reasonable amount of engine braking while coasting, just what you would expect and just what I wanted.

One key issue for you is that the software updates are also tied to the airbox replacement. Do some research on "Bucking bronco syndrome" (BBS). Some (but not all) airboxes were replaced with newly designed ones that are quite different than the originals, and a software upgrade was required for the new airbox. The software upgrades were coupled to those replacements. If you have an old airbox, then you may need to replace it to get the latest software. I may be wrong, but I vaguely recall that there was an earlier software change that lessened engine braking without requiring the new airbox, but it was a long time ago. The dealer may be able to help you sort out which hardware is required for which version of the software.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Entering the on-ramp

congrates on the new bike bro
i was on a harley before and yeaa man big difference between here and there
anyway i had such a problem before

there were a connector on the fuel pump the hole was slightly elongated so i removed the fuel tank and tried to fix it ,it worked well for some time but later i had to change the full assembly

but since you have a fuel leak while the bike is not running so i do agree with some of the guys about a loose hose
Old 04-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks guys for all the info. I will mess with the bike this weekend and see what I can find with the fuel leak. I called the dealer today and asked him about the engine breaking and whether or not he thought they had a software upgrade that would mitigate it. He recommended that if the bike runs good other then the engine breaking, he would not risk a software upgrade as there is a risk of messing something else up. Makes me wonder how good of an undretsanding they have on all of the different issues with the earlier models.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Fuel leak issue ended up being a bad hose clamp. Dealer replaced clamp and hose. $60 in parts (ouch for just two small plastic pieces) and one hour labor at $125. Also had them change the final drive lube. They changed it, rode it for 20 miles and flushed it again since it has never been done.