I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-30-2017, 09:43 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Transmission went bang!

Had trouble getting into first and second and back on my way to 55K service. Dealer called and said there were small gear parts in the oil!!!! What are the chances that some metal got into the rotating parts of the motor? Love this bike and would put the money in to replace the trans, but I am concerned about the motor. Runs strong and I do not push it that hard, no track days. burnouts. etc. HELP
Old 08-30-2017, 10:20 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Transmission went bang!

The transmissions on the last K bikes were cassette type meaning they can be removed without splitting the engine cases. So, POTENTIALLY, a DIY thing with just a couple special tools like a clutch basket holder and crankshaft locking pin and maybe one or two others.

Probably some used transmissions on ebay.

You can send it to RD motorsports in clearwater FL for cleaning, inspection, welding and undercutting. They have worked on these bikes in the past and it'll probably be better than new.

Quite a commitment either of time and/or money so I guess it depends if it is worth it to you.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post:
Old 08-30-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
The transmissions on the last K bikes were cassette type meaning they can be removed without splitting the engine cases. So, POTENTIALLY, a DIY thing with just a couple special tools like a clutch basket holder and crankshaft locking pin and maybe one or two others.

Probably some used transmissions on ebay.

You can send it to RD motorsports in clearwater FL for cleaning, inspection, welding and undercutting. They have worked on these bikes in the past and it'll probably be better than new.

Quite a commitment either of time and/or money so I guess it depends if it is worth it to you.
What do you think about trans pieces ending up in the motor?
Old 08-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Site Contributor

Unlikely it'll make it through the oil pick up screen then through the oil filter.

The only way to make sure is splitting the cases and a complete teardown to inspect the bearing surfaces.
Don't see that being practical or needed, though. But I don't know.
I see your dilemma. 55K miles used to be nothing for a BMW. But with final drive issues and maybe other problems who knows.

I suppose if I had the $$$, it would be worth looking at a new bike?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post:
Old 08-30-2017, 12:14 PM
Getting up to speed

Dont pull engine apart. Remove and cut open engine oil filter which can be done by filter cutters or hacksaw at top end so whole bottom section of filter drops off. Pull out the paper filter, lay open on a bench preferably on clean paper towels and use a decent torch to look at the paper down at bottom of pleats. This will tell you your definite answer and dont need a mechanic.
Plenty of gear sets around and pretty cheap. This can all be done without paying big bucks and youll be back on the road quick smart.
Take photos aling the way in case your memory fails you and worth the security.
Dont always think the worst, stress and move on from your old friend before you check that engine oil filter.
If we can help at all shout-out
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'OnthewrongPlanet' for this post:
Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,599 Times in 1,223 Posts

The K12s transmissions do not have undercut gear dogs. They can slip out of gear when worn and cause big trouble. The shop mentioned in Florida does great work overhauling the transmission and undercutting the dogs. All worth the trouble if you are removing the transmission anyway. The bike is old enough that there are used parts out there.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 08-30-2017, 01:57 PM

BMW shop is going to cut open the filter and check, so I am holding a positive attitude, which is unusual for me! If the filter looks ok then I will get it fixed after several oil flushes are done. The Motus is the only bike that I really like and the budget will not support that. The K bike is the only ride other than my old 2 stroke 500 cc 3 cylinder that I love. That was Mr Toads wild ride!
Old 08-30-2017, 05:31 PM

Sad end to my story. There were metal filings in the oil filter So after 55K great miles my old girl is dead. 08 K1200S if anyone needs parts.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,814 Times in 2,083 Posts

Did you see them, or were you just told?

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Did you see them, or were you just told?
Will see them tomorrow why?That question has me wondering what happened to you
Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 PM

Good call, the filter is usually after the engine to filter hot thin oil. Those pieces have gone through the engine. An old friend goes down. You should be able to recoup some funds in parting it out.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:46 PM

Well went to pick up my K bike and looked at all the shiny bits of metal in the filter and drain plug-depressing. Went up to see what they had for sale. Started raining very hard, so hung out there for a while and long story short ended up buying a new to me K1600! They gave me book value for my bike which they new what happened. Yes I know that means they discounted theirs, but it made me feel better and I do not have strip and sell the pieces which would have been hard for me to see happen to an old friend,
Old 09-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Good call, the filter is usually after the engine to filter hot thin oil. Those pieces have gone through the engine. An old friend goes down. You should be able to recoup some funds in parting it out.
Not so at all, the filter is between the oil pump and the rest of the engine...... the other way is like closing the door after the horse has bolted. On the other hand the pump may be a bit torn up having passed the bits through itsel.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:36 PM

Yes, you're correct: "The oil reservoir comes in a tank fitted in the frame triangle behind the engine. A dual oil pump operating at the rear of the crankcase and driven by a chain from the clutch shaft draws in lubricant from the oil reservoir and feeds the compressed oil first to the oil filter (main flow filter)."
BMW press release a few years back. I keep thinking about junk I learned years ago, filter the oil when it is hot.
S1000R
Old 06-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Re: Could not stay away

Yes my K1200S trans blew and I bought a K1600GT(2015). Wow way to heavy and a lot of the weight is high in the frame. SOOOOOO it is gone and a new to me 08 K1200GT has a new home with me along with a drive line and motor warranty. What a difference riding is more fun now!
Old 06-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arta302
Yes my K1200S trans blew and I bought a K1600GT(2015). Wow way to heavy and a lot of the weight is high in the frame. SOOOOOO it is gone and a new to me 08 K1200GT has a new home with me along with a drive line and motor warranty. What a difference riding is more fun now!

Its interesting to me how different people perceive the same bike. I love my K16GTL and while it is a heavy bike I only notice the weight when turning around in my driveway or other tight spot but never once the bike gets moving. I always felt the bike had a low center of gravity and carried the weight low in the frame.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
Its interesting to me how different people perceive the same bike. I love my K16GTL and while it is a heavy bike I only notice the weight when turning around in my driveway or other tight spot but never once the bike gets moving. I always felt the bike had a low center of gravity and carried the weight low in the frame.
K1200GT weight about 547, K1600GT 760 not much but more than I was will to put up with. The 1600 was good but I guess the roads I travel the most are mostly narrow and tight. If I wanted a long haul ride it would have been perfect, but it was not happy on non paved road. Put 1,000 miles a month when I had it just decided it was time for a change. Glad you are enjoying yours.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,814 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arta302
Will see them tomorrow why?That question has me wondering what happened to you
Nothing really happened, I would just need to see it before I moved forward.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 08-31-2017, 06:49 PM

The filter had all kinds of shiny things in it as well as the magnet that ran over the filter material the picked up a lot of metal particles. Drain plug had a lot of fragments attached to it also. RIP it was a sweat ride of 55K I will miss her but there was no way to spend all that money to rebuild the motor and trans on an 08 bike. Thank every one for your advise looking forward to riding the k1600 and bring her home it all goes well.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:31 AM

Have fun on the new ride.
S1000R
Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 AM

Smile Re: Transmission went bang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Have fun on the new ride.
Ok I do not know what that means?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:21 PM

I thought you said you bought a K1600, Have fun riding it.
S1000R