I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Getting up to speed

From huge excitement to huge disappointment .

well i should have known better to buy a bike without seeing it, though I still may not have noticed it I didn't until I got back from the 1st ride. then I noticed oil all over the bike after the 1st ride, took off the belly pan and it was full of oil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6412.JPG (1.09 MB, 127 views)
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '03 Triumph Daytona 959
OUT '98 Triumph Daytona 959 T595
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Go Ugly Early

Re: From huge excitement to huge disappointment .

Damn! Can you see where the leak is coming from? Maybe just the drain plug loose or no crush washer?

I'm sure you're gonna be talking to the seller but it's hard to believe that he'd hide that so blatantly.

Good luck...

Old 05-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Getting up to speed

I've got all the panels off and the weird thing is with that much oil in the pan you would think it would be pretty obvious but, so much is wet with oil haven't pinned down where it came from. Had to call it a night, will look at it more tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Damn! Can you see where the leak is coming from? Maybe just the drain plug loose or no crush washer?

I'm sure you're gonna be talking to the seller but it's hard to believe that he'd hide that so blatantly.

Good luck...
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-06-2017, 05:51 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,543 Times in 612 Posts

Well I would have thought that the potential suspects if the oil is only in the bellypan are the drain plug and oil filter, but the latter is the less likely - you only have to put an oil filter on hand tight and they tend to work themselves on even tighter - I speak from experience today as it took a lot of brute force to remove an oil filter from my K13. If the leak was in the region of the dry sump tank I would be surprised if any of the oil ended up in the belly pan. I take it that you didn't notice any oil on the rear tyre?
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Site Contributor

Definitely keep us posted. How much oil was in the cowling? Maybe that was oil the previous owner let drain down onto the cowling? Did you get the low oil warning light?

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 06:37 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

def sucks, hope you get it sorted out without too much trouble!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Karlb' for this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,122 Times in 821 Posts

My money is on the oil plug...They guy may have changed the oil in preparation for the sale and just didn't tighten it down or perhaps a wore out oil plug gasket...

pressure wash the bottom of the engine if possible (it must be nasty) then start her up and see what happens before panicking...

Yes.. do keep us in the loop..
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Getting up to speed

Well i found it, and it's not good. looks like the right corner of the valve cover gasket and doesn't start until the engine gets really hot. Sick at my stomach over all of this, wonder how many 1000's this is going to cost to fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image11.JPG (722.3 KB, 84 views)
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Site Contributor

Sorry the hear that. Was it a private sale? I would still call him out on it and see if he is willing to cough up some money. Not likely, unfortunately. Let us know how the repair goes.

Black 2013 k1300s
Old 05-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Getting up to speed

No, it was from a a dealer who I let know about it yesterday before I found root cause.
The service guy did call me back and told me to let him know what it was but, I'm not sure they will do anything about it and since we are 500 miles apart and it was sold as is. I should have taken out the extended warranty I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
Sorry the hear that. Was it a private sale? I would still call him out on it and see if he is willing to cough up some money. Not likely, unfortunately. Let us know how the repair goes.
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,122 Times in 821 Posts

Odds are they took the bike as a trade in and had no idea the bike had this problem... Call them back and speak with the manager.. Ask what they can do for you to make things right..

Be nice... Don't be accusatory.. MY guess is they'll step up to the plate and repair it. At the very least, if they offer nothing, ask if they'll repair at dealer cost. Yes.. 500 miles is a long way, but it might be worth the trip back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr8
No, it was from a a dealer who I let know about it yesterday before I found root cause.
The service guy did call me back and told me to let him know what it was but, I'm not sure they will do anything about it and since we are 500 miles apart and it was sold as is. I should have taken out the extended warranty I guess
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Getting up to speed

It's showing in the VIN run of service records they did for me, that it just had the 18k miles service including valve check which I bet the gasket wasn't put back on correctly then.
I hoping they will do something since they did the work on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Odds are they took the bike as a trade in and had no idea the bike had this problem... Call them back and speak with the manager.. Ask what they can do for you to make things right..

Be nice... Don't be accusatory.. MY guess is they'll step up to the plate and repair it. At the very least, if they offer nothing, ask if they'll repair at dealer cost. Yes.. 500 miles is a long way, but it might be worth the trip back...
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mjonesjr8' for this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,493 Times in 3,182 Posts

Quote:
Well i found it, and it's not good. looks like the right corner of the valve cover gasket and doesn't start until the engine gets really hot. Sick at my stomach over all of this, wonder how many 1000's this is going to cost to fix.
As others have stated - see what the dealer is going to say about this?

A few things - is the dealer a BMW dealer? Is there a BMW dealer close to you? A valve cover gasket in itself is not the end of the world.

Sure you having to get it back to the dealer is going to be a pain - again see what they say about that.

Once you have all the facts - make a decision based on the best and least costly way to repair this?

If the dealer is not going to help out - or if it is going to cost you more in time and money to get it there and back see if they will pay for parts and what their internal labor rate for the repair - they may go for that.

Myself if I was going to be out of pocket - I would do the job myself - and in most cases I rather do it myself anyway.

I doubt you did any damage to the engine - how low on oil was it?

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 05-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Getting up to speed

It was about a quart low on oil, no low light ever came on. The dealer did send me this yesterday and sounds pretty much what it might be but, i don't know if that is just a FYI or a recall type thing. Anyone know?

If it comes down to it no one is going to help then yes, I will be doing the work myself I have a service manual I had already ordered, looks time consuming but, since I already have all the panels off I'm a little bit ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
As others have stated - see what the dealer is going to say about this?

A few things - is the dealer a BMW dealer? Is there a BMW dealer close to you? A valve cover gasket in itself is not the end of the world.

Sure you having to get it back to the dealer is going to be a pain - again see what they say about that.

Once you have all the facts - make a decision based on the best and least costly way to repair this?

If the dealer is not going to help out - or if it is going to cost you more in time and money to get it there and back see if they will pay for parts and what their internal labor rate for the repair - they may go for that.

Myself if I was going to be out of pocket - I would do the job myself - and in most cases I rather do it myself anyway.

I doubt you did any damage to the engine - how low on oil was it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg servicenote.jpg (887.6 KB, 60 views)
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,493 Times in 3,182 Posts

Quote:
It was about a quart low on oil, no low light ever came on. The dealer did send me this yesterday and sounds pretty much what it might be but, i don't know if that is just a FYI or a recall type thing. Anyone know?

If it comes down to it no one is going to help then yes, I will be doing the work myself I have a service manual I had already ordered, looks time consuming but, since I already have all the panels off I'm a little bit ahead.
A quart low again I doubt you have anything to worry about. Did the dealer offer to repair it or any help?

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,317 Posts

Maybe the seller you bought it from would cover the repair cost to be done at a dealer near you or at least cover part of it. After all, you paid for the bike in good faith based on their description & any reputable dealer should stand behind a product they sell. You also paid for shipping, which I'm sure was at least $500, so to haul the bike back to the seller would just be more time & money spent.

It looks like the document you posted explains the leak problem that can occur if the cam chain repair (which was/is a warranty repair) wasn't performed properly. That, IMO, should cover any repair you may need, assuming that's the issue. Warranty work performed that goes wrong, should be redone at no cost to you.

Being down a quart or so won't kill the bike & a DIY repair is fairly straight forward but I think I'd rather have it done by the dealer if the seller will work with you. You've got a BMW dealer in Birmingham & another one in Huntsville... I'd go that route first. And I agree with Pirate and be civil in your request. It is a reasonable request considering what's happened. You're in the right on this one IMO.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'McFly' for this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Site Contributor

The repair will likely be straight forward so shouldn't cost too much. I would definitely pursue to idea to have the work done locally and the selling dealer to pay for at least part of it. That seems fair and will not necessitate threatening legal action or taking to social media. I think patience and persistent will pay off for you.

Black 2013 k1300s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 09:31 PM
Entering the on-ramp

If the dealer just did the 18k mile service and they are a BMW dealer I would defiantly think they would take care of the problem. Regardless of how far they are from you. Im sure this was an honest issue, I don't think they would have let the bike go if they knew its was bad, there reputation is more important than them selling one bike, Like others have said keep a calm voice, it will work out! Just unfortunate.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:

Oh man that sucks, sorry to hear about the trouble, I'm not sure there in USA but here in Aussieland, you buy from a Dealer and you have 3 months or 5000 Kms warranty. If you are repairing locally, make them talk directly, certainly the one that sold you the bike will get trade prices, and he may pay for the repair. Good luck anyway.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pucara' for this post:
Old 05-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Getting up to speed

Just a quick update on my issue. Today the dealer I bought it from told me to take it to my local dealer and have then diagnose it and have that dealer call them. Maybe they plan to help after all. I had already ordered the parts and planned to do it myself the biggest issue looked like getting it re-filled with coolant. It looks like it has to be pressure vacuumed back in with a special machine, that was a 1st never heard of that. Bad thing is my local dealer told me they are about 20 days behind now. can't catch a break with this thing.
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,129 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Just a quick update on my issue. Today the dealer I bought it from told me to take it to my local dealer and have then diagnose it and have that dealer call them. Maybe they plan to help after all. I had already ordered the parts and planned to do it myself the biggest issue looked like getting it re-filled with coolant. It looks like it has to be pressure vacuumed back in with a special machine, that was a 1st never heard of that. Bad thing is my local dealer told me they are about 20 days behind now. can't catch a break with this thing.

Welcome to the world of BMW motorcycle ownership....main reason I told my wife I needed two of them

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Site Contributor

Sounds like the selling dealer is interested in helping make things right. That's a good sign.

Black 2013 k1300s
Old 05-09-2017, 08:58 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

There you go, they are admitting to a repair which seems to have been substandard and could have caused a slick tire rear end wash out!

Offer to buy the gasket and oil if they throw in the labor to do it again.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 05-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: From huge excitement to huge disappointment . Update Fixed!

I decided to screw it and fix it myself instead of waiting 28 days on the local dealer to look at it. Not to bad of job just time consuming, and still ticked a dealer would sell me the bike with an open case with BMW on the leak. But, whatever it's fixed and the only issue left is the wanting to stall at times coming to a stop, other than that is runs awesome. Also, it's LOUD lol that full akrapovic exhaust sounds awesome but, neighbors probably going to hate me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6454.JPG (554.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (536.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ride.jpg (760.8 KB, 32 views)
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Glad you managed to get it all fixed! Did you try to at least recoupe some of the parts expense from the selling dealer? Kinda would think that they could at least step up to plate and cover that.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Getting up to speed

Oh yes, I am going to send them a bill and hope they will at least help cover some of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Glad you managed to get it all fixed! Did you try to at least recoupe some of the parts expense from the selling dealer? Kinda would think that they could at least step up to plate and cover that.
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R