I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Twisted Wrister

Talking Fairing Mounted Mirrors on the Cheap

Today was a beautiful day, but all the rain yesterday (same system that spoiled DGR) left the roads a bit wet. While I waited for them to dry, I decided to mount up the FZ1 mirrors I picked up recently. I did the same thing to my R1100RS a few years ago (see here: http://www.bikersoracle.com/rs/forum...ead.php?t=1858).

The mirrors I got used from someone on the FZ1OA board. Those guys tend to "upgrade" to the smaller units from the R1 or they go with aftermarket junk with turn signals, fake carbon fiber, etc. I think I paid $25 + shipping for the pair. If anyone follows my lead here, don't settle for the aftermarket stuff; the optics are usually terrible on those.

Looking inside the upper fairing on my '03, there appeared to be just enough free space for the mount posts to stick through without hitting anything. I scribed the area with a pick, pulled the upper fairing, and went at it with a drill! Well, I checked and double-checked before making that first hole, but there comes a time when you just have to dive in. A test-fit confirmed successful placement.

Next, I made a very crude backing plate from aluminum bar stock I had on hand. It's 1" x 1/8". I had to bend it very slightly to approximate the curve of the fairing, but it was pretty easy. Drilled some holes in the plate, mounted up the mirrors and Bob's yer Uncle! Here are some pics:

They can be folded back against the windscreen, probably most useful for putting on a cover:

Here's a comparison with the stock mirrors. This one has an illusion that makes the stock ones look wider:

... and this one makes the stockers look narrower:

In reality, the Yamaha mirrors are only 1/2" wider on each side. The stock span is 37" and the new ones are 38". By comparison, the standard hard bags make the bike 40" wide.

This shot illustrates why I like these so much. The more forward position makes them easier to check without moving your head or straining your eyes. I find that when they're easier to check, I check them more often.

Here's the fairing off the bike:

A closeup of the left mount:

And here's the plate:

Now, I made that plate as long as I could to try to stabilize the mirror. You can see that it extends well below the mount posts. When mounting the fairing to the bike, it snaps in place, but I think there's a slight bit of interference that keeps it from sitting absolutely flush along the windshield. It's a very minor issue that I think I can resolve by trimming a bit of the plate here:

So there you have it. I took it for a long test ride today. There is a slight bit of vibration on rough roads, but it's quite tolerable. I'm still running the stock Showa suspension (at 16K miles) which seems to transmit lots of road imperfections into the frame even at the softest settings. If it bugs me enough, I might tie the plate into the vertical black piece in the last picture above, but I doubt I'll do that. If anything, this will just add another reason to spring for the Wilbers/Ohlins.

In addition to the better placement, the field of view is a bit wider, so my blind spots have been reduced. I've also now got two free mount points on the bars for more accessories (V1, MP3, sidewinder missle, etc).

One last thing I'm hesitant to mention: I *think* I may have noticed reduced helmet wind noise. I'll definitely be taking some back-to-back rides with each setup to confirm this. However, it does kinda make sense that the mirrors up close to the helmet would throw turbulence right at your neck. Maybe this is why so many have had no luck banishing the noise with various shields? Stay tuned for the verdict on that one...

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'racingiron' for this post:
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Re: Fairing Mounted Mirrors on the Cheap

What a great thread Eric.
Thanks for providing the link and documenting your mirror installation.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,982 Times in 2,874 Posts

That's very slick. A few years ago I read about an aftermarket solution - but it was really expensive, this is a nice fix at a very reasonable price. Thanks for posting it up - I may try it. Let's here how you find the switch after you put a few more miles on the bike!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Shooting the gap

Nice looking setup. I've been thinking along the same lines but other mirrors like this are way too expensive for my budget. Now this setup may fit the bill. Thanks for the post and keep us up to date.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MIMrBill' for this post:
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

That's a good looking set-up. I'll have to agree with you on the helmet noise. I recently changed the mirrors out on my Vstrom and added extenders. The change in wind noise and buffeting was a dramatic improvement.
'05 DL1000 VStrom
'82 Vette
'56 Gretsch Electromatic
'56 Chev Truck
'71 Jeep Commando
"Life is like driving in the mud. If you don't slow down, you might plow right through it, however, you could run out of gas."
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bwbcpa' for this post:
Old 09-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Shooting the gap

Exclamation Re: Fairing Mounted Mirrors on the Cheap

Thanks for the post.
I am thinking the same thing will work on an 03' GT
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Twisted Wrister

I finally got around to testing the wind noise thing tonight. All tests done with my normal helmet but no ear plugs. Speeds up to ~65 mph.

I started with the stock mirrors to get a baseline. I got the expected noise, seemingly coming from air across the bottom of the helmet. Using my hand to gauge the turbulence, it seemed to be rolling off the top or side of the shield. The mirrors are too far outboard to affect the helmet, I think.

Next, I ran without any mirrors. Besides feeling REALLY awkward having no rear view, I noticed no change in wind noise from the stock mirrors. I guess this confirms that the stock mirrors aren't the source of the noise.

Finally, I mounted up the fairing mirrors again. Wind noise was still there, maybe just as loud, but I think it was different. The wind causing the noise seemed to be less turbulent. Instead of on-off-on-off buffeting, it sounded more constant, smooth. It just felt less annoying.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the possibility that this is just placebo effect. However, it could be that the stalks are smoothing the airflow a bit on the sides of the screen.

I'm considering a run over to AHR, so maybe one of you guys will be attending and willing to swap rides to give me a second opinion?

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Idling

Looks very nice. Are you planning on keeping the stock mirrors or would like to sell them? They would real nice on my 99
Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Shooting the gap

Exclamation Re: Fairing Mounted Mirrors on the Cheap

I was on the / a FZ1OA fourm and they talk about Gen I and Gen II parts. Do you know which you are showing?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA1200
I was on the / a FZ1OA fourm and they talk about Gen I and Gen II parts. Do you know which you are showing?
These are Gen I. The Gen II mirrors are totally different and not suitable for this mod (DAMHIK!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbikekev
Are you planning on keeping the stock mirrors or would like to sell them?
I'll definitely be unloading my stock mirrors, barring any problems cropping up in the next few weeks. I'll let you know when I'm ready to let them go.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 10-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

That's a really nice write up. Just 2 questions: Do the fairing mounted mirrors vibrate any more or less than the bar mounts? Are they mounted further in than the oems, 'cos even with the oems, my shoulders seem to get in the way.

Thanks - Vox
Old 10-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Do the fairing mounted mirrors vibrate any more or less than the bar mounts?
My original mirrors didn't vibrate at all. These do vibrate slightly over rough roads, but bear in mind that I have stock suspension still. The vibration is very minor, and I could probably live with it as is. Still, today I carved a bit off my brackets to clear the interference points shown in my last photo.

As I was about to take it out for a spin moments ago, I was letting it idle up to temp in the driveway (still have the buggy original ECU). I turned away for a moment to grab my helmet and heard it fall. The very slight slope allowed it to vibrate off the sidestand. Along with some fresh scratches on the fairing bits, I've got a busted clutch lever and shifter linkage. That's an expensive lesson.

Anyway, I can't ride to see if the vibration is any better now. My next thought is to add another bracket piece perpendicular to the first one, stretching down towards the turn signal. The vibes I get are vertical on the mirrors, so I think bracing it in that direction might eliminate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Are they mounted further in than the oems, 'cos even with the oems, my shoulders seem to get in the way.
They are 1/2" further out on each side than stock oval mirrors. I didn't have any problems with the stock ones, but these have a bit wider view and the more forward placement should give you a better angle to get around your shoulders. If you have the round Mickey Mouse mirrors, I'm sure these will be loads better. They were a massive improvement over the Mickeys on my Oilhead.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 10-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Hi, I'm real sorry about you dropping the bike Was the bike on a forwards down gradient? I sometimes have my bike running idle on the sidestand, but my drive is uphill.

I had the original 'dots' until I replaced them with the GT ovals. Being wider they give a better view but I still see my arms/shoulders.

The dots being steel (that go rusty) are heavier than the plastic ovals and they produced less mirror vibes. The lighter ABS mirrors were bad until I put some lead shot inside. So I was interested to know just how good the fairing mounts would be. If you rock the throttle on idle, you soon find the 'Buzz' points in the rpm range.

I'd really like a decent remote vari zoom rear facing camera with extreme amounts of IR illumination and a waterproof lcd on the triple tree I can see in sunlight - at least as good as the leos have behind their windscreens!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Postmeister

i also mounted mirrors on the fairing but i mounted them inside. i recall they are some yamaha model. they are closer together and the view is partially blocked in the normal riding position but i like to block headlight glare with my elbows so it works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fairing mount01.jpg (55.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg fairing mount02.jpg (53.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 10-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmith1953
i also mounted mirrors on the fairing but i mounted them inside. i recall they are some yamaha model. they are closer together and the view is partially blocked in the normal riding position but i like to block headlight glare with my elbows so it works for me.

how you attached the mirrors, can you give us some details?

Your locking compartments are also a great idea...
Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Postmeister

basically there are two brackets (in red) for each mirror, one is butted up under the inner fairing plastic, attached to each side of the headlight frame, the other is sort of an adapter to mount the mirror, which in turn screws through the plastic to the headlight frame bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror mount.JPG (202.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Getting up to speed

thank you for the explanation and the sketch.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Twisted Wrister

Interesting idea with the dash mount. They look like the same FZ1 mirrors I used. With the bracket attached to the headlight mount they're probably quite stable.

I wanted to keep the wide field of view, and I really don't want to add any more screws/bolts to the fairing removal process. I did another test ride yesterday, and even without the bracket interference mentioned above there's still some wobble. I really think the main problem is the stock shocks. The ride is too stiff over minor bumps, yet not quite stiff enough when giving it the stick.

The mirror movement is so slight that I could easily live with it, but I think I can dial it out. I was going to just add another plate behind the fairing, but your bracketry got me thinking... I might try to add a fairing support from the headlight frame mount. This would just brace the fairing right between the mirror mount and the turn signal. There'll be no fastener to the mirror or fairing so I can keep my requirement of not adding any complexity to fairing removal. Actually, I found the mirrors actually AID the fairing removal/install. I can easily engage/disengage the tabs next to the base of the windshield by grabbing the mirror bases for leverage.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'racingiron' for this post:
Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
all right,then,i'll go to hell

i really like the fact you were thinkin outside the box

& you scored a trifecta to boot

that is a novel installation & it works on all levels

they look great

are functional

& you have acheived if not exceeded all previous levels of merit

if i may suggest

on your mounting & vibration

using a polymer such as ' herculiner ' or a high Qualiry caulking

applied to the bracket judiciously will dampen most vibrations

it will also act as a mitigator & lessen levels of stress to the fairing itself

with those mirrors exposed directly & leveraged bty the wind blast

just a consideration

all the same

Good Luck

bimota KB2TT laser
harley XR1000
buell SW-1 white lightning
Ducati 888 "SPO"
Ducati 996 "SPS"
Z1R-1000

BMW K1200RS "ORCA"

FJR 1300A
Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Twisted Wrister

Update: The vibration of the mirrors was starting to bug me, especially in windy conditions at superslab speeds. They were still functional but slightly annoying, so I was determined to firm up the mounts.

I had all the plastic off on Sunday for a chip install, so I took the opportunity to survey my options. I decided that tying the mount to some part of the subframe would be best. Just on a whim, I pulled out some generic T-brackets leftover from a home theater speaker wall-mount I built. To my surprise, the pre-drilled holes in the bracket lined up perfectly with the mirror studs.

Next, the hard part: connecting that bracket to the frame. There are several options in the area. I wanted something that would be easy to access, since I'll need to undo this connection whenever the upper fairing comes off. I also didn't want to mess with overly complicated bends in the bracket.

I started by bending the leg of the T about 45 degrees and slapping it on to see where/how to bend it next. I was floored when I discovered that it was in perfect alignment with the vertical support! I whipped out the drill and made a hole in the middle of the support, just about where the arrowhead for the "possible interference" falls in this picture:

I dug out a bolt, nut, and washer from my stash, and the mount was done. The other side was just as easy. With everything buttoned up, the mirrors are noticeably tighter. Today is the first chance I've had to ride it (all of three miles so far!) and I think I've got a winner. I'll take the long way home from work this afternoon for the full test.

I took some pictures during the process, but I haven't uploaded them yet and some of them didn't come out right. I'll pull it apart this weekend and get some more.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 11-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Twisted Wrister

OK, got a nice long ride this afternoon, and the mirrors are rock steady.

I also got some decent pictures of the new brackets. Here's a bracket before I started:

Here are the brackets installed on the fairing. The bottom of the "T" is bent about 45 deg and I had to trim off a bit so it would clear the turn signal. You can also see the area I trimmed off the original plates to clear the interference area mentioned above. With the stability provided by the bracket, I'm sure I could just trim the plate short rather than cutting that strange notch.

Here's the hole I drilled:

And here's everything buttoned up. The part at the top where the new bracket overhangs the plate is a double-thick area of the fairing. If you tried to get away with just the bracket, you'd have to trim off that top edge of it so it would lay flush with the fairing. I would do that, but the hole I drilled probably wouldn't line up properly.

That bolt is a bit difficult to remove and install. I plan to turn it around and epoxy or tack weld the nut onto the outside of the new bracket, then the bolt will be easy.

After putting it all back together, I took it out for some beefcake shots... I hope you enjoy viewing as much I as enjoyed getting there!

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 11-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Excellent instructions and photos.
Glad you took the time to show the rest of us.
Thanks for posting.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks to Eric's detailed pics and instructions from his fairing mirror mount mods, I was able to make the same mod to my 04' K1200RS. I went ahead and added the bracing since he had issues with vibration prior to adding additional bracing. Just got done with my shakedown ride and the results are good. Takes a little getting used to the new location since they sit about a foot forward of the original mirrors. My right mirror kept turning down but after over rotating it there seems to be more friction on the ball mount to hold it in place now. Took a long run on the interstate at 85mph and they didn't move or vibrate. Rear visibility of much better now and I don't need to lean my head to see behind me. Excellent low cost mod. Thanks Eric!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Impressive.
Past: '06 K1200GT
BMWNEF
BMWMOA #154631
"FLY NAVY!"
Old 04-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Getting up to speed

Here are some pics of the end result:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairing Mirrors PAINT.jpg (70.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Fairing Mirrors Driver View PAINT.jpg (75.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Bike Profile PAINT.jpg (56.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Twisted Wrister

Glad to see others follow this path. I'm still quite happy with mine. It looks like your stems are more horizontal than mine. Maybe your mounting holes are rotated a bit comparatively? Did you do anything different with the bracket? I'm always looking for improvements. Since my last post on this, all I've changed is I added a captive nut to the hole in the subframe. Now I just need a single wrench to remove the bolt, and I don't have to struggle to make sure I don't drop the nut. Those bolts add a mere 30 seconds to fairing removal/install, and I probably gain that time back by using the mirror stalks to assist with the engage/disengage of those upper tabs!

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 04-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Getting up to speed

Eric,
I didn't use a T-Bracket for the brace, only a single bracket going from the forward most bolt on each mount to the frame. I too used a captive nut (forgot to mention that in my original post), which does make install much easier. I'm anxious to see how the mirrors hold up over time. I was surprised at how "flimsy" the fairing is. I originally thought it was fiberglass but now realize they are all plastic. I've been running other design ideas through my head on how to improve the mounting design. Maybe a block or thick bracket attached to the frame which you would then screw mirrors to from the outside, thus eliminating any need to work inside the fairing to install/remove them and make them more rigid too. I also want to look at some automobile mirrors I have used in the past on cars I have had that might be more robust and offer a little bigger mirror. These would work along with the mounting block idea.