I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-28-2017, 05:02 PM
Entering the on-ramp

2007 K1200S worth it?

Hi there, first post (so of course it has to be a noob question)!

I'm currently looking for an older BMW that I can afford and I ran across a 2007 K1200S close to me for ~3K. It looks like it's a good price, provided that the bike is in good shape, but the mileage worries me a bit. It currently has a bit over 71K miles on it.

If it has been properly maintained, and runs well on my test ride, is it a bike that I should consider? Is it a bike that you would consider? Or is the mileage high enough that I may be buying more trouble than it's worth?

I realize that there are a LOT of things to take into consideration for a truly educated opinion, but my only question is: if it were you, would the mileage be a deal breaker?

By the way, I've only ever owned rice rockets, this would be my first BMW.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:24 PM
Site Contributor

Re: 2007 K1200S worth it?

There were a host of issues with the k1200s, stalling, rough idle, transmission failure and switch gear failure to name a few. I'd be sure to check all maintenance records to see if the bike received required service as well as all software updates and recall notices completed. What's your budget? Id pass on a bike with that many miles especially a K1200S and find something with a lot less miles even if you have to pay more money. Hermy's BMW in PA has a 2011 K1300S with 15K miles for 9 grand. I saw the bike a few days ago and it's in excellent condition.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post:
Old 07-28-2017, 06:58 PM
Thanked 1,434 Times in 810 Posts

Firstly welcome to the best forum on the planet. The mileage while seeming high is not really a problem on it's own. Forum members have much greater mileages than that. My k1200 has 90k and is running nicely. The 2007 onwards had most of the problems ironed out although some irritating things remained that could be easily remedied. Certainly a later model would be more desirable but if funding is a priority I would not be concerned with the mileage alone.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 07-28-2017, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,181 Posts

Bill:

Welcome to the site. I had a 2007 K1200S it ran fine mine didn't have anywhere near the mileage of the one you are looking at. I would also recommend buying the newest K bike you can and if possible a 1300.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 07-29-2017, 06:06 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,541 Times in 612 Posts

Bill

Welcome.

Key thing here is condition and service history. Service history must be full - preferably with BMW but if from an independent check out their reputation - with all factory recalls dealt with, and with the valve clearance checks done - from recall this is every 18,000 miles.

If you can find out who traded it in then give them a call.

I would also have a compression test done. The K12 bikes used to use very little oil - my 2006 used virtually none between services - so blue smoke is not a good sign. If you haven't test ridden the bike then get a friend to follow you and watch.

Expect the gearbox to be clunky from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. Expect some clutch judder when pulling away. There was a fix for this but I recall it was quite expensive and the clutch judder was nothing to worry about.

You don't say whether this bike has ESA. These shocks can be expensive to repair.

Check the final drive and make sure there's no play in it.

Finally, it generally pays to best the best you can afford. At $3k this could be a great deal but if you had more to play with I would tend to go further up the market.
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 07-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,891 Times in 1,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonquixote
Hi there, first post (so of course it has to be a noob question)!

I'm currently looking for an older BMW that I can afford and I ran across a 2007 K1200S close to me for ~3K. It looks like it's a good price, provided that the bike is in good shape, but the mileage worries me a bit. It currently has a bit over 71K miles on it.

If it has been properly maintained, and runs well on my test ride, is it a bike that I should consider? Is it a bike that you would consider? Or is the mileage high enough that I may be buying more trouble than it's worth?

I realize that there are a LOT of things to take into consideration for a truly educated opinion, but my only question is: if it were you, would the mileage be a deal breaker?

By the way, I've only ever owned rice rockets, this would be my first BMW.

Thanks in advance!
As others have said, check the service history & warranty recalls that have been done with the seller or dealer to make your best informed decision. If it's an individual or independent dealer, get the VIN # & any BMW shop can tell you the service history, assuming it's been serviced at a BMW shop. As far as mileage, that's the last thing I'd worry about other than the condition of tires, brake pads, coolant & other standard maintenance stuff you'd expect to keep up with on a bike. I have 75K on my '07 & other members have well over 100K with one esteemed member with over 200K.

I have firsthand experience with many of the problems... failed ABS, failed tranny, stalling/airbox replacement, all of which can be expensive repairs & would cost more than you'll probably pay for the bike if you bought OEM replacement parts. I'd definitely take the bike you're considering out for an extended test ride.

Depending on your budget & patience level, it may be worth looking for an '08 or even an early K13S outside your market, then fly in & ride that baby home & make an adventure out of it. For whatever reason, both models suffer from poor resale value & depreciate quickly.

All that said & despite the problems, the K12S is a fantastic machine & is without question the best sport touring bike on the planet, bar none. If I ever get rid of mine, I'll most likely get a K13S
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'McFly' for this post:
Old 07-29-2017, 11:21 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,197 Posts

An interesting choice for your first BMW. K bikes are great but they are the most expensive of the BMW line to maintain. I hope your handy with tools and enjoy working on the maintenance jobs. Otherwise the shop service bill can be impressive. Keep in mind that the K12S is a pretty serious hot rod with high compression and a nasty idle with driveablilty problems at slow speeds in town, it is a road bike for best riding. Tires wear out in 5000 miles or less, generally less. At 70K miles you are at a transition point, if major items have been addressed good, but you may be facing shocks, front wheel carrier (fork) ball joints and clutch problems. Right now the current price for a new clutch with basket is over $2,500. Eye wide open here.
Okay, now, I love my K bike. At 105K miles, I have installed new shocks, new camshafts with chain and sprocket, new drive shaft, rebuilt the starter, a few batteries, several switch groups many sets of tires and have on my garage shelf a slightly used final drive with other parts that cost me $500. I plan on installing the drive this winter as preventative maintenance. I am also on the look out for a new radiator as the corrosion has just about done in my current one. I will be replacing all the coolant hoses soon too.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 07-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thank you for all of the detailed and well explained replies! I had done a bit of research on the K models, but none of the articles or posts that I read mentioned that they were the most expensive to maintain. I think I will heed the advice here and look for a later model BMW, preferably one that is easier and less expensive to maintain.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:50 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
....... I think I will heed the advice here and look for a later model BMW, preferably one that is easier and less expensive to maintain.
How many miles do you ride a year? 2000? Buy it. 10000? Look for newer.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:36 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,197 Posts

The BMW opposed twins (R bikes) are great and much easier to maintain) I suggest you look at a model that appeals to you that is 2007 or newer. The 2002 -2006 have some expensive brake issues. I've felt bad all day saying such negative things about my favorite bike but reality can sting.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 PM
Nice day for somethin'

I had a 2008 K1200S, The Sliver Sled with the Yellar Wheels, a.k.a OXCART2. She was a FX (factory experimental) hotrod. The 12 is a visceral, f**kin' badass machine. The 13 is more sophisticated - just about as fast, but smoother. Sorta like the original CIA A-12, versus the USAF SR-71.

Maybe it's like buying an older 911 Porsche. It will take you where you want to go, at the speed of heat, IF you make sure that she is ready to do so.

If you buy that 12, she will talk to you while you are riding. She will always be telling you to go faster. You'll end up going faster whether you wanted to or not.

Seeya
ATB
Old 07-30-2017, 03:31 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Thank you for all of the detailed and well explained replies! I had done a bit of research on the K models, but none of the articles or posts that I read mentioned that they were the most expensive to maintain. I think I will heed the advice here and look for a later model BMW, preferably one that is easier and less expensive to maintain.

The most sensible decision you have ever made!!!

I still have my K1200 Sport the clutch is perfect the fuelling is just as good and on the odd occasion I use it runs perfect.

It's had 3 clutches to cure the judder an ABS unit and recently an alternator the bike has never seen a winters day in its life been wet once and has just turned 12,700 miles I mostly ride s1000XR.