I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,353 Times in 845 Posts

Question Can you refinish a windscreen???

3M has a kit for refinishing car headlights.

These "fog" after awhile due to being battered by road debris.

The kit is used with a electric hand drill and includes buffing wheels and polishing compounds.

My K12RS screen is looking pretty beat up these days and was wondering if it can be refurbished with one of these kits?
Old 04-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Shooting the gap

Re: Can you refinish a windscreen???

Id go for it. Theres a priduct from meguairs Plast X or something works reasonable well for masking fine scratches certainly does not remove them. One wonders of the screens are fully polished and clear when released from the mould.

Got a pic of the damage is it road blast particles or is it oxidation and aging of the material?
BMW
Old 04-14-2018, 12:46 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafkaKaffe
Id go for it. Theres a priduct from meguairs Plast X or something works reasonable well for masking fine scratches certainly does not remove them. One wonders of the screens are fully polished and clear when released from the mould.

Got a pic of the damage is it road blast particles or is it oxidation and aging of the material?

Road blast.

Same with the car headlights.

2006 vehicle headlights polished to like-new.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:17 PM
Shooting the gap

toothpaste, or a mild rubbing compound for clear coat, using a rag like you would wax a car, can do the job, too.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'k_enn' for this post:
BMW
Old 04-15-2018, 11:23 AM
Fuse lit...

All of the techniques mentioned remove some of the material to buff out the scratches. There is a kit that I've used for many years on aircraft canopies:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotS...SABEgJ8qfD_BwE

I saw this demonstrated at the Oshkosh airshow about 12 years ago and they used a temperature gun to show that the process did not get the windscreen hot enough to remove any material. The solutions have tiny little beads of material in suspension that melt at a lower temperature and fill in any gouges or scratches. This stuff is near magical having seen it demo'd by cutting a windscreen with a box knife and then returning it to optical clarity.

I had a dirt nap last year on the GS that scratched up my Puig smoked screen. Here's the before and after using my 10 year old kit:

before:

after:

before:

after:

It's a little hard to tell how messed up the windscreen is but there were pretty deep marks in it that would catch your fingernail if you ran it across it. I started with the coarse compound and worked up to the finest. It took about 45 minutes total but the result was pretty darn good.

The kit is a little expensive but has enough stuff to do many repairs and as I mentioned, I did the repair above with a 10 year old kit so the shelf life is quite long.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
Old 04-15-2018, 01:34 PM
Site Contributor

The discoloring on headlights isn't due to road debris but to exposure to operating temps of headlight bulbs and the effects of UV exposure over time. Notice that tailights don't have the same issues. The various kits in simple terms are just removing a layer of "damaged" polycarbonate and leaving nice clear material in it's wake. The only problem with doing headlights is that there is no longer any of the factory "seal" layer left and they discolor even faster requiring more cleaning. After going that route several times, I just purchase new headlight housings and am done with it. Now a motorcycle windshield is a bit different in that it doesn't have the heat from a bulb behind it and probably isn't exposed to UV nearly as much as car headlights so it certainly is worth a try to clean it up.

Jim
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jpel' for this post:
BMW
Old 04-15-2018, 01:53 PM
Shooting the gap

most impressive.
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotS...SABEgJ8qfD_BwE
BMW
Old 04-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Site Contributor

Question Re: Can you refinish a windscreen???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpel
The only problem with doing headlights is that there is no longer any of the factory "seal" layer left and they discolor even faster requiring more cleaning.

Wonder if the 3M spray on film would reseal the plastic?