I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools.. Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-19-2018, 08:34 AM
B2R's Avatar
B2R B2R is online now
B2R
Post: 374 Thanks: 109
Thanked 182 Times in 91 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pretoria, South Africa, South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to B2R
Re: What to Buy

Bruce, the factory lowered XR is low enough and over 150HP. Fantastic bike. Love mine.
Also consider new generation KTM 1290 SAS. These 2 are upright. Also Yamaha MT 10.
__________________
Born to Ride (B2R)
Life starts on a bike on a long distance ride.
__________________
KTM 1290 SAS ('17)
KTM 1090 R ('17)
BMW 1600GT ("18)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-19-2018, 08:38 AM
jargon's Avatar
jargon jargon is offline
Deplorable and Still Rides
Post: 9,144 Thanks: 6,013
Thanked 2,767 Times in 2,041 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ, U S A
Re: What to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2R
Bruce, the factory lowered XR is low enough and over 150HP. Fantastic bike. Love mine.
Also consider new generation KTM 1290 SAS. These 2 are upright. Also Yamaha MT 10.
Make that a Yamaha MT-10 SP !!!

__________________
John

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

Currently Receiving Intravenous Sedatives and Rides a Pussy Bike with Pride


Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Notthatold's Avatar
Notthatold Notthatold is offline
Retirement is Fleeting
Post: 672 Thanks: 625
Thanked 227 Times in 175 Posts
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bethesda MD & Jupiter FL, USA
Re: What to Buy

If you test ride the Tuono V4 you will buy it so be careful.
__________________
2013 K1300S Titan Silver
Reply With Quote
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Notthatold' for this post:
  #64  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:01 PM
Pete_Tallahassee's Avatar
Pete_Tallahassee Pete_Tallahassee is online now
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007
Post: 5,588 Thanks: 776
Thanked 742 Times in 318 Posts
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL USA
Re: What to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Make that a Yamaha MT-10 SP !!!


Can you get an SP in the United States now?
__________________
Pete


02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:55 PM
MattB's Avatar
MattB MattB is offline
Certified V4 Nut
Post: 3,590 Thanks: 1,434
Thanked 864 Times in 495 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Carlisle, PA USA
Re: What to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notthatold
If you test ride the Tuono V4 you will buy it so be careful.
Truth is, I don't ride the street as much since I've started doing trackdays, but I've been saying that I WANT one [Tuono] for years now. I'm a bit afraid that if I ride one, I will NEED one (that's exactly how I ended up with a BMW K1200RS in what feels like another lifetime at this point).
__________________
Matt
Street: 2000 Honda VFR @ 39k :: 2002 BMW K1200RS @ 47k ... round 2 - Welcome Back to a Long Lost Friend
Track: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 @ 12k HARD earned miles :: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR something new for me to beat on
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:33 PM
sbk12rs's Avatar
sbk12rs sbk12rs is offline
Dive Buddy in Training
Post: 3,871 Thanks: 954
Thanked 448 Times in 337 Posts
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ayer, Ma USA
Send a message via Yahoo to sbk12rs
Re: What to Buy

Iím not riding Paulís bike !!

Iím afraid of the same thing
__________________
Live , Love , & Laugh Man !

Next ?
Sherwood SR2
Sherwood Avid CQR3
2014 R1200 GS .... Gone
2010 R1200 GS .... Gone
2006 Honda VFR .... Gone
2001 K1200 RS .... I miss her so

Reply With Quote
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'sbk12rs' for this post:
  #67  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:42 PM
brucev's Avatar
brucev brucev is offline
Administrator
Post: 14,839 Thanks: 4,319
Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,113 Posts
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: W MASS, USA
Re: What to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2R
Bruce, the factory lowered XR is low enough and over 150HP. Fantastic bike. Love mine.
Also consider new generation KTM 1290 SAS. These 2 are upright. Also Yamaha MT 10.
I think if I stick with the S platform I will go with the R. I'm not a fan of lowering bikes - once you start down that road the bike does not typically handle as well as it was originally set up for. Lowering the bike a little is one thing in my case it is so tall I would need more than a little bit.
__________________
Bruce

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:43 PM
brucev's Avatar
brucev brucev is offline
Administrator
Post: 14,839 Thanks: 4,319
Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,113 Posts
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: W MASS, USA
Re: What to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notthatold
If you test ride the Tuono V4 you will buy it so be careful.
Flyboy keeps offering me his for a test ride - just might see what it is all about.
__________________
Bruce

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Reply With Quote
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
  #69  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:46 PM
brucev's Avatar
brucev brucev is offline
Administrator
Post: 14,839 Thanks: 4,319
Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,113 Posts
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: W MASS, USA
Re: What to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
Truth is, I don't ride the street as much since I've started doing trackdays, but I've been saying that I WANT one [Tuono] for years now. I'm a bit afraid that if I ride one, I will NEED one (that's exactly how I ended up with a BMW K1200RS in what feels like another lifetime at this point).
The famous NEED I have that thought almost every time I ride any bike - well except for the crappy bikes that is.

I'm not saying my RR is the best thing on the planet but for me to be blown away by another bike - it is going to have to be something really special. I'm talking strictly performance not ergos - ride comfort - weather protection - but all of those are a big consideration for me on this purchase.
__________________
Bruce

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-19-2018, 04:25 PM
jargon's Avatar
jargon jargon is offline
Deplorable and Still Rides
Post: 9,144 Thanks: 6,013
Thanked 2,767 Times in 2,041 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ, U S A
Re: What to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
Can you get an SP in the United States now?
Right at this moment Pete, I donít think so, but Iím sure the dealer knows.
__________________
John

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

Currently Receiving Intravenous Sedatives and Rides a Pussy Bike with Pride


Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 PM
aj7840's Avatar
aj7840 aj7840 is offline
Getting up to speed
Post: 73 Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rockford, MI USA
Re: What to Buy

Bruce,

Get the shoulder fixed now if you can. Make sure it is sports orthopedic doctors, a regular orthopedic surgeon does not seem to understand that we want to continue doing things, I swear they only look the older generation and want to just our reduce pain. I detached 3 of the 4 ligaments in my left shoulder. My primary care physician based on the method of injury ( another "I screwed up" skiing injury, not a serious as Lewis') ordered an MRI and referred me to an Orthopedic surgeon.
Insurance company wanted me to do PT before seeing the Orthopedic surgeon. He reviewed the MRI before PT started and convinced the insurance company PT would do more damage than help. It did delay surgery about 3 weeks fighting with the insurance.

I was 70 at the time so things don't heal as fast as young guy like you will, I was riding again in 10 weeks, waited 2 more than the surgeon said I needed. Do all the PT after the surgery but don't over push it.

As a side note I am 75 now, full knee last January, could have skied 12 weeks later but no snow, starting riding as soon as the weather got nicer (In Michigan it didn't last long). Got the other Knee fully replaced 4/18 yesterday We had scheduled it for 14 weeks from first knee, should be able to ride the first of June or sooner, but no motocross, flat tracking
or track days for this year .
__________________

07 K1200GT CGM
00 Ducati 900 Monster
Reply With Quote
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'aj7840' for this post:
  #72  
Old 04-19-2018, 10:01 PM
aclearspot's Avatar
aclearspot aclearspot is offline
Site Contributor
Post: 279 Thanks: 11
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alameda, Ca USA
Re: What to Buy

im 6' and can flat foot my XR with the HP tall seat. Not once have I got off the bike and not laffed my ass off. Im old have a bad neck and its the most comfy bike I have had. Ride one for a couple of hours and ou will buy it. I added bar end weight and the mirror s are completely usable. My hnds and feet have never got numb
__________________
k13s,f8gs-GONE
S 1000 XR
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 PM
brucev's Avatar
brucev brucev is offline
Administrator
Post: 14,839 Thanks: 4,319
Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,113 Posts
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: W MASS, USA
Re: What to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840
Bruce,

Get the shoulder fixed now if you can. Make sure it is sports orthopedic doctors, a regular orthopedic surgeon does not seem to understand that we want to continue doing things, I swear they only look the older generation and want to just our reduce pain. I detached 3 of the 4 ligaments in my left shoulder. My primary care physician based on the method of injury ( another "I screwed up" skiing injury, not a serious as Lewis') ordered an MRI and referred me to an Orthopedic surgeon.
Insurance company wanted me to do PT before seeing the Orthopedic surgeon. He reviewed the MRI before PT started and convinced the insurance company PT would do more damage than help. It did delay surgery about 3 weeks fighting with the insurance.

I was 70 at the time so things don't heal as fast as young guy like you will, I was riding again in 10 weeks, waited 2 more than the surgeon said I needed. Do all the PT after the surgery but don't over push it.

As a side note I am 75 now, full knee last January, could have skied 12 weeks later but no snow, starting riding as soon as the weather got nicer (In Michigan it didn't last long). Got the other Knee fully replaced 4/18 yesterday We had scheduled it for 14 weeks from first knee, should be able to ride the first of June or sooner, but no motocross, flat tracking
or track days for this year .
I am going to the track this weekend and will know for sure if I can ride this season or not. If I can I will push the surgery off until fall. If not then surgery much sooner and glad to hear how well your surgeries have gone.
__________________
Bruce

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools..
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads (a database pull of similar subject matter)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Buy or Not to Buy a 2007 K1200GT Bryannagirl "K12GT" Gen. Discussions 24 03-05-2012 10:39 AM
K1200R Sport - Would you buy it? Foxadn "K12R" Gen. Discussions 14 05-03-2011 01:43 PM
Should I buy an S? Wifey says OK so...? bjoraker "K12S" Gen. Discussions 52 06-04-2007 02:08 AM
Best Place to buy a Centech Fuse Panel? brucekgt "KRS/GT" Accessories 1 05-24-2007 08:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 PM.


I-BMW.com is via vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2018, I-BMW.com LLC .
Page generated in 0.68240 seconds with 15 queries