I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Different every day

AMAZING DRAGSTER FACTS

I bought a new computer and am preparing to transfer my stuff over. In reviewing my Documents and deleting a ton of stuff...I came across this:

Acceleration

Subject: NHRA Top Fuel Dragster
This is an interesting comparison.

First, some useful info:

One NHRA Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than all the cars in the first four rows at the Daytona

Under full throttle, a Top Fuel dragster engine consumes 1½ gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge 426 Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block inhalf.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light.

Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9500 rpm.

The Bottom Line; assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, TonySchumacher).

The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective for you bikers: You are riding the average $250,000 Honda MotoGP bike. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the RC211V hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph (293 ft/sec). The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your wrist cranked hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 PM
Greaser

Re: AMAZING DRAGSTER FACTS

Damn...
Old 04-20-2018, 08:14 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,029 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

As amazing as those figures are, most of this info is now obsolete. The nitro cars (Top Fuel Dragster and Funny Car) only run to 1000' now instead of a quarter mile (1320'), because they need the additional distance to slow down. Many of the dragstrips were built when the cars were going much slower.

The 1000' records now are:

Top Fuel Dragsters: 336.57 mph; elapsed time 3.628 seconds;

Funny Car: 339.87 mph; elapsed time 3.793 seconds.

These nitromethane burning engines produce in excess of 11,000 horsepower... that's not a misprint... 11,000+ HP!!

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video...00-horsepower/

If you've never been to an NHRA drag race, you really should check it out... you truly have to see it to believe it!!
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post:
Old 04-20-2018, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,413 Times in 3,137 Posts

Very cool indeed. The tolerances these engines run at are nothing short of amazing.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-20-2018, 10:38 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,277 Posts

Impressive stats.... drag racing is truly an original American pastime.

Drag racing has certainly come a long way from the days of "Big Daddy" Don Garlits and his Swamp Rat & Don “The Snake” Prudhomme and his Mongoose.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Really! 336 MPH in one thousand feet! I remember when Mickey Thompson had a four-engined (Pontiacs, I believe) streamliner that would do 300 MPH, barely, after using miles of the Bonneville Salt Flats. I made a Revell model of that futuristic thing back in the early 60's.

The times, they are a changin'.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 04-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson
I made a Revell model of that futuristic thing back in the early 60's.
Boy, those were the days! I built a few of Big Daddy's dragsters & lots of funny car models when I was a kid. My dad built a shelf around my entire room so I could display all of them. That was when a 9 year old could go into the hobby store & buy all the Testers airplane glue you wanted to put your models together or squeeze it all into a paper bag & huff it! Now you have to be over 21 to buy anything like that.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 04-21-2018, 04:01 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

"Under full throttle, a Top Fuel dragster engine consumes 1½ gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced."

If we could put four of those monster motors on the 747... that would be one hell of a takeoff!

Good article!

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

I always found this interesting .... from the track you can't hear a funny car shift (if they still use 2 speeds as they did in the 70's) but from the parking lot 1/2 mile away you can hear the shift plain as day.

And yes, a 17 year old can sleep against the timing tower at Bristol during top fuel qualifying, be awakened by the TN HP and be sober. BTDT.
edl
Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,029 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
I always found this interesting .... from the track you can't hear a funny car shift (if they still use 2 speeds as they did in the 70's) but from the parking lot 1/2 mile away you can hear the shift plain as day.
Current funny cars and TF dragsters only have one speed... what you're hearing is when the clutch goes from a controlled slip to full lock...
Old 04-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Postmeister

Fremont Drag strip 1970 1/4 mile grudge racing on Friday nights. I used to have a blast with my giant 64 Impala SS. 327 , Muncie close ratio 4 speed with Hurst competition Plus shifter, 411 positraction. As big as she was my best time was 15 flat at 100.4 mph. I still have my time card. No not real fast but mine.
I still catch the drag races on tv but I saw for the first time 4 wide races. That is totally coolio.

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'McWideglide' for this post:
Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

You guys got me thinking of 75/80 Dragway so I asked the google and found out it's history. This is where I watched the guys scream down the strip. Looking back it sure was slow.

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...ull-see-today/

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pete_Tallahassee' for this post:
edl
Old 04-30-2018, 10:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWideglide
Fremont Drag strip 1970 1/4 mile grudge racing on Friday nights. I used to have a blast with my giant 64 Impala SS. 327 , Muncie close ratio 4 speed with Hurst competition Plus shifter, 411 positraction. As big as she was my best time was 15 flat at 100.4 mph. I still have my time card. No not real fast but mine.
I still catch the drag races on tv but I saw for the first time 4 wide races. That is totally coolio.

Spent many Friday nights racing there. 68 Camaro 396-375hp 4 speed 488.
Get all pumped up then head back to home Daly City looking for races on El Camnio.
Great fun!
I think that Fremont was turned into a mall or house development.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cookiemonster' for this post:
Old 05-01-2018, 11:31 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
Current funny cars and TF dragsters only have one speed... what you're hearing is when the clutch goes from a controlled slip to full lock...

The way the tires grow at speed acts like a CVT though. Sort of.... Really cool.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:58 AM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster
Spent many Friday nights racing there. 68 Camaro 396-375hp 4 speed 488.
Get all pumped up then head back to home Daly City looking for races on El Camnio.
Great fun!
I think that Fremont was turned into a mall or house development.

I grew up in Millbrae, ECR was my home. McDonalds in SSF to McDomalds in Belmont. I remember running in Half Moon Bay Drag Strip and of course the shortened 1/8th mile Champion Speed Way where I saw many racers run out into the SF Bay mud cause the run out was too short. Short lived raceway. So much fun.

Jeff M.
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
I grew up in Millbrae, ECR was my home. McDonalds in SSF to McDomalds in Belmont. I remember running in Half Moon Bay Drag Strip and of course the shortened 1/8th mile Champion Speed Way where I saw many racers run out into the SF Bay mud cause the run out was too short. Short lived raceway. So much fun.

Yup, mid 60s to mid 70s, that was pretty much my running area too.
There was an A&W near the Hillsdale mall also.
Brotherhood way near Lake Merced was a hot spot in late 60s.

Lived in San Mateo for a few years before moving outta Cal.. Hobart ave then Prospect Row.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:22 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly
Impressive stats.... drag racing is truly an original American pastime.

Drag racing has certainly come a long way from the days of "Big Daddy" Don Garlits and his Swamp Rat & Don “The Snake” Prudhomme and his Mongoose.

I used to watch them on Saturday's wide world of sports back in the day ...

Doesn't that age us...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 05-03-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Lived in San Mateo for a few years before moving outta Cal.. Hobart ave then Prospect Row.

Did ya have a 442 back then? Musta been some fun filled times...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
Ride West 2008
Old 05-04-2018, 12:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Did ya have a 442 back then? Musta been some fun filled times...

Back then it was the Camaro described above.
The 442s didn't come home til the '80s.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Back then it was the Camaro described above.
The 442s didn't come home til the '80s.

Hey bud, you gotta pic of tthat beast?

Ride West 2008
Old 05-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Postmeister

Quote:

I have lived on Barneson Ave for 38 years. One block south of Hobart. A&W was on the corner of 27th and ECR.

Jeff M.
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
Old 05-05-2018, 12:00 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Hey bud, you gotta pic of tthat beast?

To my sorrow I didn't have a camera back then so no pics of the Camaro
Old 05-05-2018, 12:10 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
I have lived on Barneson Ave for 38 years. One block south of Hobart. A&W was on the corner of 27th and ECR.

I was about half block off ECR.
That town has the best weather.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
To my sorrow I didn't have a camera back then so no pics of the Camaro

But you did have a Camaro with a 396 in it!!!

Ride West 2008
Old 05-05-2018, 05:32 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
But you did have a Camaro with a 396 in it!!!

Yes
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cookiemonster' for this post: