I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > I-BMW Racing > MotoGP
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

MotoGP World Championship

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,698 Times in 2,766 Posts

SPOILER - QATAR MotoGP Race Results

Now that was weird, I watch MotoGP on BeINSports, and today the broadcast started with essentially highlights of the Moto3 and Moto2 races before the MotoGP race, and the broadcast was normal and the MotoGP race goes on and its the Spanish language broadcast, and that was annoying but didn't take away from a damn fine race. And the old guy showed he's still got it! Glad he's signed on for a couple of more years. And Zarco is going to be a threat! The finish with Marquez being himself did his predictable last lap lunge....

Results here,

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/motog...-results-2018/

MotoGP Qatar Race Results 2018: Now with Brief Race Notes
A guy who qualified closer to the third row of the grid than the front row basically passed every pre-season favorite and then dropped all but MM93 to easily win.

Sunday, March 18, 2018
MotoGP Qatar Race Results 2018.

Race notes:

Lorenzo crashed out well in the back with a suspected mechanical.

Rins crashed.

Dovi came from well back on the grid and after a poor start to lead and win the race.

Pole-sitter Zarco led nearly 2/3 of the race but was overhauled by Marquez, Dovi and others for an eventual 8th place finish.

When the tires were well used and fuel weight dropped Maverick came from nowhere to finish sixth.

Tough-talking KTM, which one year ago were boasting of the eventual pleasure they’d take in beating Honda in MotoGP, were essentially nowhere in this race. Both riders had big crashes on the weekend, and Pol Espo’ pulled in with a mechanical after running the race well in the back. Bradley Smith finished a pathetic 18th.

As most veteran race watchers expected, the off-season wing drama, tire drama, speed by Lorenzo, speed by Vinales, THE ALL NEW APRILIA! … yadda yadda yadda didn’t amount to much. A guy who qualified closer to the third row of the grid than the front basically passed every pre-season favorite and then dropped all but MM93 to easily win. Dovi’s squared off the corners and basically pulled the pin. His Ducati had wings–not on the fairing–on the throttle.

Nine-time champion Rossi did well to finish third. His factory Yam, on acceleration, versus the Honda and Ducati, looked like it was dragging a piano.

Pos. Rider Team Bike Time/Gap
1 Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team Ducati GP18 42:34.654
2 Marc Marquez Repsol Honda Team Honda RC213V 0.027
3 Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha YZR-M1 0.797
4 Cal Crutchlow LCR Honda Honda RC213V 2.881
5 Danilo Petrucci Alma Pramac Racing Ducati 3.821
6 Maverick Vinales Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha YZR-M1 3.888
7 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team Honda RC213V 4.621
8 Johann Zarco Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha YZR-M1 7.112
9 Andrea Iannone Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki GSX-RR 12.957
10 Jack Miller Alma Pramac Racing Ducati 14.594
11 Tito Rabat Reale Avintia Racing Ducati 15.181
12 Franco Morbidelli Team EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda RC213V 16.274
13 Alvaro Bautista Pull&Bear Aspar Team Ducati 19.788
14 Hafizh Syahrin Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha YZR-M1 20.299
15 Karel Abraham Ńngel Nieto Team Ducati 23.287
16 Thomas Luthi Team EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda RC213V 24.189
17 Takaaki Nakagami LCR Honda IDEMITSU Honda RC213V 24.554
18 Bradley Smith Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM 31.704
19 Aleix Espargaro Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia RS-GP 34.712
20 Scott Redding Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 37.641
21 Xavier Simeon Reale Avintia Racing Ducati 46.706
DNF Pol Espargaro Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM 7 LAPS
DNF Alex Rins Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki GSX-RR 10 LAPS
DNF Jorge Lorenzo Ducati Team Ducati GP18 10 LAPS
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 03-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,113 Posts

Re: SPOILER - QATAR MotoGP Race Results

MM most likely would have won the race if his rear brake hadn't hung up.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,534 Times in 718 Posts

Just finished watching the race...I subscribe to motogp...watched moto2 and 3....great stuff!

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
Old 03-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Site Contributor

I mentioned (but not here) that I thought Dovi looked the most comfortable and at ease on the bike.

He's the only rider/bike combination that has repeatedly taken on MM head to head and come out on top! HUGE respect for Dovi! He's the zen master to MM mind games.

Rossi, just didn't quite have it today... But podiums are good for the championship.

Can you believe 6-8 bikes racing to 5 laps to go? Amazing.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:30 AM
Twisted Wrister

If this race is a taste of what to expect for the 2018 season, we are all in for a treat.

Action all the way to the finish-line.

Dovis handling of MM attack in the last turn was a textbook example.
Dovi knew MM would attack in the last turn, he also expected him to be a bit hot-headed. The way he gave MM room to pass on the inside at a bit too high speed and then gunned it when MM made a wide turn was brilliant tactic.
The podium contained three drivers each deserving their respective result.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:21 AM
El Moderador

Send a message via Skype™ to HDF

Can someone please explain to me why Pedrosa (the perennial, ALMOST) has been keeping warm a Honda seat for over a decade? Is there any precedence to having a factory team keep a rider for 12 seasons now (I believe) without him ever achieving the ultimate goal?

He's a damn good rider, no doubt about it. But there are other excellent riders out there who if given the chance to have a factory bike might actually do something - I'm thinking the likes of Zarco.

Any opinions?

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDF
Can someone please explain to me why Pedrosa (the perennial, ALMOST) has been keeping warm a Honda seat for over a decade? Is there any precedence to having a factory team keep a rider for 12 seasons now (I believe) without him ever achieving the ultimate goal?

He's a damn good rider, no doubt about it. But there are other excellent riders out there who if given the chance to have a factory bike might actually do something - I'm thinking the likes of Zarco.

Any opinions?
He hasn't won a championship but since his debut in MotoGP in 2006 cumulatively he has been on the podium over 50% of all his races. And his stats go up even more if you look at how many times he has finished in the top 5.

He is as good as they get and has experience that is hard to argue with. He is well liked and until he actually starts to have bad numbers he is a heck of a good investment for the HRC team.

Unlike other champion riders that are hard to work with or the likes of up and coming Johann Zarco I think HRC has so much development time invested in Pedrosa until he really becomes just a good MotoGP rider they are sticking with him.

A few years ago teams looked at 32 year old riders as riders ready for the nursing home not any more.

Heck let Zarco win the championship then I may be all wrong. I think as the season moves along Zarco will find it harder and harder to compete against the factory riders.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 AM
Site Contributor

Could have something to do with Alberto Puig...

His career has been incredibly injury prone. If he actually podiums at a 50% rate, that would merit a ride in and of itself as long as they had a number 1.

I do know that he has more wins as an active rider than only Mm, Rossi and Lorenzo.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Site Contributor

Rossiís performance really canít be praised enough.

At his age or at any age, he has a Sunday set up and performance that bested two of the highest touted young riders on similar bikes.

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post:
Old 03-19-2018, 07:34 AM
El Moderador

By the way, before quasi hijacking the thread, I should have said what I had come to say:

GREAT RACE. Glad to see the Doctor still has it. And Good to see so many riders in that front pack, and from various manufacturers, as well as non-factory teams. Let's hope this is a good omen for the rest of the season.

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?

Old 03-19-2018, 08:42 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Could have something to do with Alberto Puig...

His career has been incredibly injury prone. If he actually podiums at a 50% rate, that would merit a ride in and of itself as long as they had a number 1.

I do know that he has more wins as an active rider than only Mm, Rossi and Lorenzo.

Pedrosa going might!!! Cuz they fell out in some spectacular fashion a while back.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 03-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDF

Any opinions?

Pedrosa keeping that ride has always had much debate and the simple answer is there has never been anyone better that is out of contract at the same time as he is.

Repsol being Spanish who pick up a rather large chunk of the bill have a major say.

Iíve met Herve many a time the perfect gent he most certainly is and in many ways is like Rossi behind that happy smiley face is a wolf that will eat you on the spot,he very quickly last year signed up Zarco for 2018 for I dread to think how much? Absolute peanuts compared to most assuming that Zarco can replicate on another bike what he can do on the Tech3 Yamaha then I would think having Pedrosaís job(they are both out of contract the end of 18) is a viable option as opposed to the telephone numbers that KTM can offer but with a bike that is some way off the pace and at 27 years of age heís late to the party.
R1100s
XT660SM
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
jcw
Old 03-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Speed Demon

As for race Dorna must be beside themselves with joy itís taken some rule changing but we certainly have a championship to look forward to my take on what I saw Marquez won last year with a bike that was no where near as good or fast as what he has now itís going to take something very speacial to prise it off him this year but itís going to be fun watching others try.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 03-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
As for race Dorna must be beside themselves with joy it’s taken some rule changing but we certainly have a championship to look forward to my take on what I saw Marquez won last year with a bike that was no where near as good or fast as what he has now it’s going to take something very speacial to prise it off him this year but it’s going to be fun watching others try.

Considering Qatar has been a yamaha track last 5 years or so, this was a very ominous sign for them. Bad for Yamaha, good for Honda.

But Dovi being so comfortable so quickly may be the dark horse again. (although can you call him that having won the first race and coming so close last year?)

WHAT IS UP WITH LORENZO?!?!

Good to see Vinales sooo fast at the end of the race. Could it be the bike just is not to his liking with a full tank? Or is a rider confidence issue?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 AM
El Moderador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw

WHAT IS UP WITH LORENZO?!?!

Article I read in the Spanish press this morning has him indicating that he lost brakes and had to basically dump the bike in lieu of hitting the wall. Says the brakes were a problem from early on and that they finally gave out.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'HDF' for this post:
jcw
Old 03-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Post race quotes here, http://www.superbikeplanet.com/qatar...machine-final/

Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Zealot of Beer

BeIn sports gets on my nerves, timeshifting mc racing so they can show soccer live. There are so many soccer games and they're all so boring, I don't know why people even watch. They should time-shift soccer and compress it, so it runs at 3x speed except when there's a lead-up to a goal. Get the game down to 45 minutes.

The racing was live on BeIn6, so folks can watch it realtime on the computer if they want, but with low bitrate sadly. Seems like cable has a thousand channels now, why can't they carry all 10 or whatever BeIn channels?

That was a great start to the season, exciting racing in every class. But with the top Moto3 guys moved to Moto2, both classes are a little more boring maybe.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,020 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Now that was weird, I watch MotoGP on BeINSports, and today the broadcast started with essentially highlights of the Moto3 and Moto2 races before the MotoGP race, and the broadcast was normal and the MotoGP race goes on and its the Spanish language broadcast, and that was annoying but didn't take away from a damn fine race.
That is strange... I have BEIN Sports and my broadcast didn't change to Spanish language... perhaps it has something to do with your provider?? However, I do hate the way they sequence the races... they used to broadcast them individually and separately. They did have separate broadcasts of the Moto2 and Moto3 races later in the day but I didn't watch them after having seen the highlights!! BEIN is a train wreck...
Old 03-19-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
MM most likely would have won the race if his rear brake hadn't hung up.
I didn't know that Marc Marquez' rear brake had hung up also... His brother Alex had that happen in Moto2 and his rotor was glowing...
Old 03-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
I didn't know that Marc Marquez' rear brake had hung up also... His brother Alex had that happen in Moto2 and his rotor was glowing...
Charlie several laps his rotor was glowing at one point he went wide and was looking back. Post race interview he said he thought he was losing the transmission until he looked down and saw the rotor was the problem.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Charlie several laps his rotor was glowing at one point he went wide and was looking back. Post race interview he said he thought he was losing the transmission until he looked down and saw the rotor was the problem.

That was Alex in Moto2 not Marc.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
That was Alex in Moto2 not Marc.
Must be getting old - now I don't know the difference between the two brothers. Fake news - I'm guilty - sorry guys.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Speed Demon

Anyone seen a photo of the offending rear disc and caliper very unusual to see pads stuck on like that normally takes a full winters riding to managed that 😀
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 03-20-2018, 03:59 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Alex Marguez brake on fire video here, Spanish language commentators

https://www.motorcyclesports.net/vid...the-rear-disc/
Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 PM
Site Contributor

Pretty unusual for a brake pad to pop out of the front caliper too.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Pretty unusual for a brake pad to pop out of the front caliper too.

Shit happens - Lawson's mechanics neglected to put the pins in the front rotors, just ask him about Laguna Seca 1990

Eddie Lawson Injured During Practice
April 07, 1990|TOM HAMILTON

MONTEREY, Calif. ó Eddie Lawson, four-time world motorcycle road racing champion, suffered a broken right heel and a broken left ankle Friday when he crashed during practice for the United States Grand Prix at Laguna Seca Raceway.

Lawson, 31, crashed on Turn 2 of the 2.18-mile course, a sharp left turn that follows the front straightaway, where riders reach speeds of 160 m.p.h. Lawson approached the turn at a high speed on his Yamaha but failed to slow down when his front brakes reportedly malfunctioned.

Lawson, of Upland, was taken to Community Hosital in Monterey, where physicians estimated that he would be unable to race for two months.

rth-fastest rider in Friday's practice session before the crash, trailing Wayne Gardner of Australia and Americans Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey. Two qualifying sessions are scheduled today.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:51 PM
Site Contributor

Two times in 30 years still not very usual.
Just sayin...
Actually I don't know what I'm saying.
Cause if it wasn't shit happens then it would mean I think someone sabotaged the bike. I don't think that.
So, shit happens...

Quote:
Shit happens - Lawson's mechanics neglected to put the pins in the front rotors, just ask him about Laguna Seca 1990

Eddie Lawson Injured During Practice
April 07, 1990|TOM HAMILTON

MONTEREY, Calif. — Eddie Lawson, four-time world motorcycle road racing champion, suffered a broken right heel and a broken left ankle Friday when he crashed during practice for the United States Grand Prix at Laguna Seca Raceway.

Lawson, 31, crashed on Turn 2 of the 2.18-mile course, a sharp left turn that follows the front straightaway, where riders reach speeds of 160 m.p.h. Lawson approached the turn at a high speed on his Yamaha but failed to slow down when his front brakes reportedly malfunctioned.

Lawson, of Upland, was taken to Community Hosital in Monterey, where physicians estimated that he would be unable to race for two months.

rth-fastest rider in Friday's practice session before the crash, trailing Wayne Gardner of Australia and Americans Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey. Two qualifying sessions are scheduled today.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Zealot of Beer

Quote:
Alex Marguez brake on fire video here, Spanish language commentators

https://www.motorcyclesports.net/vid...the-rear-disc/

Lesson learned: Don't panic or slow down just because your brake rotor is as bright orange as the sun. Keep riding!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Zealot of Beer

Quote:
I do hate the way they sequence the races... they used to broadcast them individually and separately. They did have separate broadcasts of the Moto2 and Moto3 races later in the day but I didn't watch them after having seen the highlights!! BEIN is a train wreck...
Depends on what other live programming they want to show. The bestest is when coverage starts with Moto3, then Moto2 then GP, all in a 4-hr or so single shot. Usually then same night and/or Tuesday night they will replay the 3 races as 3 separate shows, edited.

Very maddening that their programming is so messed up that my wishlists and one passes can't keep up sometimes, so it doesn't get recorded on my Tivo.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Videopass is the way to go.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-21-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Videopass is the way to go.
I agree... I'm a subscriber but don't use it enough... the main reason I subscribe is for viewing when I'm on the road during races, via laptop or tablet...
Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree... I'm a subscriber but don't use it enough... the main reason I subscribe is for viewing when I'm on the road during races, via laptop or tablet...
I have a big a** monitor for my computer so it's just like watching it on my TV.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:40 PM
El Moderador

Quote:
I have a big a** monitor for my computer so it's just like watching it on my TV.

Depending on your tv (you can buy dongles for this too) you can cast it from your phone or tablet straight to your TV.

I have an android phone and a Samsung TV (a couple of years old). I bring up the MotoGP race on the phone (Video Pass) and simply cast it to the TV and watch it on the big screen. No lag, works great.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Speed Demon

The video pass is the Dorna feed which we also get when the BT Sport guys canít be bothered to get out of bed and of course the two day test at the end of the year.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 03-21-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDF
Depending on your tv (you can buy dongles for this too) you can cast it from your phone or tablet straight to your TV.

I have an android phone and a Samsung TV (a couple of years old). I bring up the MotoGP race on the phone (Video Pass) and simply cast it to the TV and watch it on the big screen. No lag, works great.
My laptop and 50" Sony are compatible (Bluetooth/Android) but I've had trouble in the past linking them, although I could just use an HDMI cable...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:19 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Dovi wins! MM Loses!! Dovi wins! MM Loses!! Dovi wins! MM Loses!!

Again Rossi has a crappy pre-raceday test and prep and looks like 10th place might be a good finish... then on Raceday... who let the dogs out?!

Lorenzo is my favorite again, but he needs to be wearing Stoner's boots.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!