I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Twisted Wrister

Half Fairing + Belly Pan = K120RS?

I'm usually a form-follows-function guy, but I must admit that this thread will be all about aesthetics. You see, I love the K1200RS look, but I always missed seeing a bit of the guts of the machine, especially since the brick is such an unusual mill. I got really intrigued when I saw pictures of FastEddieB's "K Rapido" several years ago and always told myself I'd break out the hacksaw on mine someday.

I was also inspired by a heavily modified race bike I found pictures of long ago.

Then more recently, Wiseroilguy did a similar mod, though his was for functionality reasons (accommodate highway pegs) http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=44411

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'racingiron' for this post:
Old 09-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Half Fairing + Belly Pan = K120RS?

Well, I recently was pondering the declining value of these bikes and the rather sorry condition of my fairing (scratches), and decided there was no good reason to wait any longer. I did pretty much the same slice as FastEddieB, with a slight change to keep the rearmost screw that goes to the frame. I ditched the belly pan altogether. I'm pretty happy with the result, although I need to clean up the edges a bit. I think the black color is forgiving in this case, because it helps camouflage the stuff that was never intended to be shown (water hoses, oil lines, etc.). Downside: now my stained crank cover is there for all the world to see!

The fairing seems to remain secure at ridiculous speeds. The only additional attachment I used was some Scotch "Dual Lock" heavy duty velcro-like stuff at the bottom front. The same stuff was used by the factory on my old R1100RS half-fairing. It snaps together perfectly on the right side (fairing to airbox), but the left side inner panel doesn't seem to match the curve of the fairing, so it doesn't stay connected there. No problems with that side flexing in the wind, so it's probably unneeded. I thought about screwing those parts together, but I won't bother.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
The following (11) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'racingiron' for this post:
Old 09-26-2017, 06:21 PM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

Very nice

These K/RS/GTs will ALWAYS look good, and the black works... too easy and a "no brainer". Now all ya need is the Z-Technik dark sport shield...

'05 K12 S - KIA 6/21/11
'04 Ducati 999 - traded
'07 R1200 GS - sold
'99 R1100 S - traded
'05 K12 S - traded
'11 K13 S Magma Red - traded
'16 R1200 GSW Triple Black - traded
'16 K13 S MotorSport
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'kenthegrass' for this post:
Old 09-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I like the look and your reasons for doing it. Makes the bike look lighter and more sporty, whether it is or not.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 09-26-2017, 06:45 PM
Twisted Wrister

Now for the next stage... My original desire for this look was always a fondness for the K100RS. Drooling over pictures of those, one can't help but notice many fitted with a belly pan. Inspection of the mounting bracket for that and the available points on the 1200 case made me hope that I could graft the pan onto this cousin. I dredged eBay until the right candidate appeared: a rather rough pan complete with rusty bracket, at a cheap price.

The job of fitting this thing took some work. The 1-piece bracket had to be split in two due to interference on the front of the motor with a water hose, pump, and oil cooler lines. The same bits required slicing the top crossmember of the pan itself. The exhaust of the K12 (2 Bros header, in my case) needed extra clearance as well. All of this was cheerfully done with a pneumatic cutoff wheel. I also had to fashion a simple bracket for the left rear mount point.

It took a lot of iterations of trial fit, trim, repeat. I also had to JB Weld a broken gusset on the left side bracket, then I sanded both brackets and gave a sloppy paint job with some engine primer and enamel I had laying around.

Finally satisfied, I snapped the pan into place. It's not perfect, of course. The right side has accommodation for a hose coming out of the K100 crank cover, but I'll just call that an air scoop. My test ride at foolish speeds showed no problems. I'm a bit worried about proximity to the #1 exhaust pipe, so I may put some insulating tape there for protection, or I could use some exhaust wrap. Oh, I added the original screw mounts to the bottom, too, but those are totally unnecessary to keep the pan in place.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
The following (6) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'racingiron' for this post:
Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,207 Posts

I like it very much. Makes me think I will not pass up on the next cheap RS I run across. And they are out there, a great bike for not much money. Keep in mind, those original belly pans are worth some money two. OEM price for one is scary. I have a framed poster of the checker version on my garage wall.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Twisted Wrister

As you can see, the pan is pearl white and a bit rough, so it’s hard to imagine what it’ll look like when color matched to the rest of the fairing. Still, I think I like it. The engine is still clearly visible, but the roughness of the oil pan and exhaust header are masked away. The lower lip pairs well with the lip below the headlight. The overall style isn’t too far off from that of the rest of the bike (slightly angular, but also rounded). That’s all just MHO, of course. I’d love to hear any feedback you have, positive or negative! Don’t worry, I have thick skin. Now for the full-body shots:

Back to the title of this thread, I’ve been wondering what to call this bike now. Eddie has “K Rapido” that I think he was calling a K1200S at the time, but BMW has since appropriated that moniker. I’m thinking that because I’m trying to capture the aesthetic of the old K100RS, maybe I should call this one K120RS?

The next conundrum is paint. In addition to the mismatched pan, my panels still have some nasty scratches (all 0 mph tipovers—some from me, some pre-existing) that I’d like to get rid of. If I paint the whole bike, what color should I pick? I really like the black, and as mentioned above, it helps subdue the homebrew nature of the fairing surgery. However, I’m afraid if the belly pan were black it would disappear TOO much. I’m currently leaning towards Graphite metallic that I’ve seen on some early K12RS, but I’m open to suggestions!

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'racingiron' for this post:
Old 09-26-2017, 07:08 PM

Nice professional work on the belly pan. Looks like it came with the bike. But, I kinda hate to say this, I think I like it better without the belly pan. It makes the bike look a little rawer and I like seeing the pipes and the engine.

I agree with you about paint. A color other than black will show off the bike a bit more. Red will make your bike faster, but it might be too garish for you.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Tyson' for this post:
Old 09-26-2017, 08:04 PM

Wow. Interesting. And you've started out with the best mod of them all; putting mirrors up on the fairing. So much better there. Just have to move your eyes instead of your whole head.

I like what you've done. I had a parts bike, but with none of the Tupperware ! Does the oil window from the K100 pan line up with the sight glass on the 1200 engine ?

I'd also consider a fenda extenda (sp) on there if you're chalkin' up some highway miles. Think of what is now exposed to the elements, vs. what protection was there originally. Actually, not much !!

I'm looking at your Ohlins reservoir on the right side, and it sticks out just horizontal with the bike. I guess it's strapped to the lower part of the peg bracket instead of the frame rail back there.

Wonder if the bike would run any cooler with a set up like yours ?!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20141004-00185.jpg (1.01 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20160416-00888.jpg (769.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,820 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingiron
Downside: now my stained crank cover is there for all the world to see!

Wurth silver wheel paint works well to paint the crank cover.
I used it on one of our bikes.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wus-8...E#.Wcrko9FryUk

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 09-27-2017, 09:41 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

I refinished a pair of covers.VHT caliper paint?Sure is fuel proof that one and a near perfect match.

Test pieces first with VHT and others to find out about the fuel/chemicals proofness.

Not my covers so had to sand the scratches.Then hit with the sandblaster (fine crushed glass) to knock the shine off and provide good adhesion for the VHT paint.No way was I going to sand by hand.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,140 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wus-8...E#.Wcrko9FryUk

[/font]

Yep, or get them powder coated

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthegrass
Now all ya need is the Z-Technik dark sport shield...
I actually have one of those in the basement. I prefer the lower turbulence I get with the trimmed down stock shield. I had always intended to clean up the cut edge and tint it somehow, but just never followed through. Someone recently posted a Z-Tech that had been cut down just in the middle bubble section, and that looked interesting...

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'racingiron' for this post:
Old 09-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson
I like the look and your reasons for doing it. Makes the bike look lighter and more sporty, whether it is or not.
A girl I work with who rides various bikes told me a while back that my bike was the only one she'd ever seen that somehow looked BIGGER after removing the rain cover! Eliminating some of the bulky look was definitely part of my goal.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 09-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO
Wow. Interesting. And you've started out with the best mod of them all; putting mirrors up on the fairing. So much better there. Just have to move your eyes instead of your whole head.
Yup, one of my favorite changes, and I'd never go back! My old thread on that, but the pictures are all gone... I need to update that!
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24664

Quote:
Does the oil window from the K100 pan line up with the sight glass on the 1200 engine ?
Window lines up perfectly with the sight glass.

Quote:
I'd also consider a fenda extenda (sp) on there if you're chalkin' up some highway miles. Think of what is now exposed to the elements, vs. what protection was there originally. Actually, not much !!
I thought about that, but as you say, the stock config doesn't have much protection either. I might add some mesh at some point.

Quote:
I'm looking at your Ohlins reservoir on the right side, and it sticks out just horizontal with the bike. I guess it's strapped to the lower part of the peg bracket instead of the frame rail back there.
Top side of the peg bracket. That's about the only place I could use and still retain use of the helmet lock from Pirate. I might ask for a longer hose when I send it in for rebuild.

Quote:
Wonder if the bike would run any cooler with a set up like yours ?!?
Doubtful. I was actually worried that the missing fairing sections would allow some air to bypass the radiators, but I doubt that'll be a big effect, if at all. I'll monitor temps and report any changes.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 09-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I was thinking that would work, and I already have a nearly full can from a previous wheel touch-up. I have to do something because that stain is nasty.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 PM

Plus one no belly pan.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:47 AM
John Muir Trail Enthusiast

Quote:
I actually have one of those in the basement. I prefer the lower turbulence I get with the trimmed down stock shield. I had always intended to clean up the cut edge and tint it somehow, but just never followed through. Someone recently posted a Z-Tech that had been cut down just in the middle bubble section, and that looked interesting...

Hey, that was me!
!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:41 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Buffalo
Plus one no belly pan.

+ 2

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
2000 K1200RS RED
2017 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
2018 BMW S1000R Catalano Gray

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 AM
Getting up to speed

I think a metallic silver to match the frame would look good.
1990 K75S Special edition - wifes tourer (SOLD in 2017)
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - wifes sport bike
1996 K1100RS - Brunhilde I - (sold in 2007)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:18 AM

I like the Belly Pan. You did a great job of making it look stock. I used to have the real big brochure of the R1100RS on my wall in the garage. It was the Red bike with the Red Belly Pan. I lusted over that bike for years.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:24 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,185 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
A girl I work with who rides various bikes told me a while back that my bike was the only one she'd ever seen that somehow looked BIGGER after removing the rain cover! Eliminating some of the bulky look was definitely part of my goal.

It's not as much a bulky look as it's the curvy full figure... think Ashley Graham.

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Louis' for this post:
K-K
Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,820 Times in 1,788 Posts

Looks good without a belly pan if the headers are coated like Eddie did.
If the headers are not cleaned up or coated I would install the small belly pan to hide the headers.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 10-04-2017, 05:17 PM

Did Wiseroilguy ever get highway pegs on his bike?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:25 PM

I think you should paint the belly pan black to match your bike. Then anodize or paint your valve cover and crank cover with a Black wrinkle coat. The bike would look stock, and custom. You'll need smoked turn signal covers.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

Well have you done, grasshopper.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I consider myself flattered!

Seriously, looks good. Better, I think, without the belly pan, But That’s Just Me(tm).

Hard to believe it’s over 15 years since K RAPIDO underwent the process. No regrets or issues in all that time and she’s still motoring along just fine!

Funny, in searching for images, I stumbled upon this:

I kinda like it. I had started in that direction years ago as a thought exercise - a K1200 “Monster”, as it were!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Twisted Wrister

Nice job.

When my 1997 Taxi fairing cracks, I'd love to convert the old girl into one a Monotracer.
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 10-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Twisted Wrister

Nice job.

When my 1997 Taxi fairing cracks, I'd love to convert the old girl into a Monotracer.
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 10-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

For newbies or those who might have missed it, an article from 2002 I sent into the MOA magazine:

You can see how much the Jet-Hot coating helps with the left side.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'FastEddieb' for this post:
Old 10-06-2017, 12:12 AM

This bike is the Bees Knees. My Tupperware is in perfect condition and your bike makes me want to cut it anyway! The Jet-Hot coating makes the whole thing worthwhile, love it. I like the finned sump too. Not only that, the bike just looks faster.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:25 AM

Sweet, Eddie.

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 10-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello racingiron,

You have a really nice motorcycle, I think it looks much better with a belly pan in the same color as the rest of your fairing.

I know a belly pan is not the cheapest accessory but it looks very good and is also a good protection at the same time.

regards Rob
Old 10-18-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Top side of the peg bracket. That's about the only place I could use and still retain use of the helmet lock from Pirate. I might ask for a longer hose when I send it in for rebuild.

Racingiron, you can move your helmet lock to a position just above the rear brake m/c. It fits perfectly, snug, like it was made to go there. Just align the hole on the bracket with the lower mounting bolt on the passenger foot peg carrier. Then you can move your Ohlin reservoir back into the position it deserves.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:54 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtenthusiast
Racingiron, you can move your helmet lock to a position just above the rear brake m/c. It fits perfectly, snug, like it was made to go there. Just align the hole on the bracket with the lower mounting bolt on the passenger foot peg carrier. Then you can move your Ohlin reservoir back into the position it deserves.
Interesting idea, but I like to keep my pegs in the higher position (for ground clearance), which seems like would make this location too tight for the lock.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 10-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Back to the title of this thread, I’ve been wondering what to call this bike now. Eddie has “K Rapido” that I think he was calling a K1200S at the time, but BMW has since appropriated that moniker. I’m thinking that because I’m trying to capture the aesthetic of the old K100RS, maybe I should call this one K120RS?[/font]

"K120RS" is perfect, 3/4 faired with a belly pan. Like you said, capturing the K100RS. But, I love the idea of you naming it something that everyone would associate with your bike. Making it a one-of-a-kind. For instance, K-Rapido makes me see FastEddie's bike in my mind. How about the

a) K120RI (RacingIron)
b) RI120Express
c) RI120
d) RI-120RS
e) RacinIron-120RS
f) K120/RI
g) K120/RI
Old 10-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

When I was considering graphics for my cases, I took a photo of a K1 to my sign guy and asked him to use that theme for a “K12”.

I think he did a really nice job:

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FastEddieb' for this post: