I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Re: K1300S Noise, Rattle & Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmer
Forget about the washer, it was already modified on these 2012 models, no axial movement.

Are you sure about that? I've got a 2012 bike and the washer was the same lose rattling fit as earlier bikes. The washer modification significantly improved the rattle on my bike.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Shooting the gap

My dealer gave it clean bill of health .

I am very inclined to go ahead and fix it myself. Two questions

1. Where exactly is the washer when I am looking at clutch basket . Is it behind idler gear or in front towards me ?
2. Oil pump chain - can this be adjusted without requiring any hi-tec tools or disassembly ?

Want to weigh the odds of my success before I jump in
Old 09-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashu
My dealer gave it clean bill of health .

I am very inclined to go ahead and fix it myself. Two questions

1. Where exactly is the washer when I am looking at clutch basket . Is it behind idler gear or in front towards me ?
2. Oil pump chain - can this be adjusted without requiring any hi-tec tools or disassembly ?

Want to weigh the odds of my success before I jump in

I did the washer and the oil-pump chain quite easily with standard garage tools. There are some BMW tools that make it a bit easier but you don't need any of them. The main challenge is to get the large nut that holds the clutch basket off. This might be quite tricky with hand tools but it comes off very easily with a pneumatic impact wrench. Once you've got the clutch basket out the rest is easy and fairly obvious. Look back to the beginning of this thread and there are some pictures of the exposed parts which show you where the washer is located.
I think the key to success is finding a replacement washer that has the correct internal diameter of 9.8mm so that it slides but does not rattle on the shaft. Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Shooting the gap

I can get the washer made from a machine shop. I dont have access to pneumatic tool unfortunately. reading all the thread also mentions people doing it without taking clutch basket off.

IS the oil pump chain adjustment possible without taking clutch basket off ?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I really doubt you can do it without taking the clutch basket off unless you are Houdini!
You could always buy a pneumatic wrench. They are surprisingly cheap and very useful. You would of course also need an air compressor. There are also electric impact wrenches that are very good for occasional use and would do the trick. There's a BMW tool that allows you to hold the clutch basket still while undoing the nut but frankly you would be better off investing in an air tool....
The oil-pump chain just requires basic tools.
Good luck
Old 09-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Shooting the gap

I got the compressor . What pnumetic wrench u refering to ? the one which used for wheel lug nuts ?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
I got the compressor . What pnumetic wrench u refering to ? the one which used for wheel lug nuts ?

This kind of thing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-7...rds=air+wrench
Old 09-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Shooting the gap

ok. Here is what I have gathered in order to do it myself.
  • I have to get the washer made for correct internal dia and thickness. I will keep it slightly smaller on outer diameter.
  • Get impact wrench for clutch basket center bolt. Does anyone have correct size for the bolt so I could buy an adaptor ?
  • the shaft that holds the idler needs to come out. Some have posted a simple method and were able to pull it using a wire , others recommend getting special tools which will run cost too much. So, is there a cheap tool for the job or wire will be fine ?
  • Adjust oil pump chain. I assume it can be done without having to remove clutch ?
Did I miss anything ?

Since the bike will be grounded in winter anyways, I am planning on adding SC-project pipe, add booster plug and change gas fitting, add seibel horn and fix the annoying rattle.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

You will need a 30mm socket for the clutch basket nut. There's not much clearance between the nut and the recess in the clutch basket so you need one with a fairly thin wall.
The shaft that holds the idler just pulled out really easily on my bike using just a screwdriver. Others however have reported that the shaft on their bikes was a tighter fit. You won't know until you try.
Incidentally, I made my washer the same outside diameter as the original. I've done 25,000 miles since the mod with no problems....
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'lfoggy' for this post:
Old 09-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Hi all, looking for some concise advice as this thread is a long and popular one, so I have a 2010 K1300 which I have had for only 2 weeks, the bike is spot on apart from the engine rattle around 3500 rpm, it vibrates a little but nothing much, would I be correct to assume its probably the washer that has been mentioned many times where the problem is likely to be?

I am in the UK so if anyone has sourced the replacement washer would be good to know where from?

Apart from an impact wrench which I have can the job be done without any of the BMW tools and just by removing the clutch basket?

Any other items needed apart from the washer?

I may also ask my local dealer about the issue and if he has a fix but its seems there is no official recognition of the problem?

thanks

Shaun
Old 09-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Hi Shaun

My experience:

I had, and have K1300R, with almost 100.000 Km both, there are no washers to cure the rattle you mention, and my service never added washers.

Rattle is a Little annoying noise coming from the rebound of the distribution chain, specially when decrease RPM and crossing the line of 3500 RPM.

Don't worry, enjoy your bike, and I'm sure that rattle will decrease on the after a good road riding.

About distribution chain,, just be sure your bike has a chain guard installed (almost sure yes in your model)
Old 09-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Hi, thanks for the info, its doesn't really worry me as the bike sounds sweet compared to my Diavel lol

What is the distribution chain?

thanks
Old 09-27-2014, 04:23 PM

Is a chain - silent type, that join and move both camshaft taking energy from the crankshaft. is the part #6 and the chain guard part#14

Old 09-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywhizzz
Hi all, looking for some concise advice as this thread is a long and popular one, so I have a 2010 K1300 which I have had for only 2 weeks, the bike is spot on apart from the engine rattle around 3500 rpm, it vibrates a little but nothing much, would I be correct to assume its probably the washer that has been mentioned many times where the problem is likely to be?

I am in the UK so if anyone has sourced the replacement washer would be good to know where from?

Apart from an impact wrench which I have can the job be done without any of the BMW tools and just by removing the clutch basket?

Any other items needed apart from the washer?

I may also ask my local dealer about the issue and if he has a fix but its seems there is no official recognition of the problem?

thanks

Shaun

Spend some time reading the posts on this thread. All the answers to your questions are there. The rattle in question occurs at around 3,500 rpm, particularly when decelerating. Although the vibration may not originate from the washer, I am sure that the washer vibrates in sympathy with the source and causes most of the noise. A bit like a guitar amplifying the vibration of the strings.
In brief, you don't need any special tools and the job of replacing the washer is not difficult for anyone with basic mechanical skills. The replacement washer will probably need to be made for you though. I posted the exact dimensions I used a while back. Its a 30 minute job for a machine shop. The important dimension is the internal diameter which needs to be a sliding fit on the idle shaft.
Don't bother with the BMW dealer, they won't be interested and I don't blame them. The rattle is not a fault on the bike and many riders don't even notice it. The rattle is definitely there though and the washer mod almost completely gets rid of it.
All in all a worthwhile mod for the bike if the rattle annoys you....
Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoggy
Spend some time reading the posts on this thread. A

Top answer thanks, yes I have read through the posts now and was puzzled how a washer can resonate like it does but as you say it will get amplified, mine isn't too bad but its there which is a shame as otherwise the bike seems faultless so far. Does the clutch case have a paper gasket which needs replacing? Does the cam chain tensioner fail on the K1300? I don't like tensioners that work off oil pressure so would be tempted to fit manual one if they are suspect.

thanks
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 09-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Top answer thanks, yes I have read through the posts now and was puzzled how a washer can resonate like it does but as you say it will get amplified, mine isn't too bad but its there which is a shame as otherwise the bike seems faultless so far. Does the clutch case have a paper gasket which needs replacing? Does the cam chain tensioner fail on the K1300? I don't like tensioners that work off oil pressure so would be tempted to fit manual one if they are suspect.

thanks

Yes, there's a thick paper gasket. If you are careful you can reuse it. You can also reuse the aluminum screws contrary to the BMW manual !
Old 09-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Yes, there's a thick paper gasket. If you are careful you can reuse it. You can also reuse the aluminum screws contrary to the BMW manual !

How did you hold the clutch to get the centre nut off? I have an impact gun which am sure will shift the nut if I can hold the drum.

thanks
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 09-29-2014, 02:13 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
How did you hold the clutch to get the centre nut off? I have an impact gun which am sure will shift the nut if I can hold the drum.

The rapid acceleration of the pneumatic impact wrench should be able to losen the nut without holding the clutch assembly still. Its down to the relative mass and inertia of the clutch assembly resisting the rotation of the wrench. Also works putting the nut back on. I would recommend appying some thread locking adhesive to the nut on reassembly as well as you probably won't be able to get the high torque figure recommended for this nut.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Shooting the gap

What is the story with chain guard if anyone. Knows ? Is it supposed to be in a position where it is not ? How hard is it to adjust the slack ?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
What is the story with chain guard if anyone. Knows ? Is it supposed to be in a position where it is not ? How hard is it to adjust the slack ?

If you like to learn about chain guard just do a search (chain.. guard.. recall.. ), many guys here know a lot about it

Chain guard has nothing related to this title, only serves to avoid the jump of the chain on the crankshaft gear in certain conditions, the guard is plastic and usually not touch the chain
Old 10-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Shooting the gap

Buying an impact wrench for cluth. Question. What is the best way to tighten the clutch basket once all work is done ?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Buying an impact wrench for cluth. Question. What is the best way to tighten the clutch basket once all work is done ?

I will use Loctite and give it a nip with the impact gun, if you mark the nut/shaft before removal just don't go passed the marks when tightening.

What I am not clear about is taking off the tension from the anti-back lash gear but I am guessing its a pair of scissor gears and there are through holes where you can use a steel rod to align and take off the tension or something like that.

I'll also do the oil pump chain which looks like slipper that's adjusted manually.
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 11-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Shooting the gap

Gasket ?

Folks

Did you have to change the gasket on clutch cover while putting all back togerter or the original gasket stays intact during whole process ?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:08 AM

Re: Gasket ?

Quote:
Folks

Did you have to change the gasket on clutch cover while putting all back togerter or the original gasket stays intact during whole process ?

No is not necessary, just in case if have a leak you can change later, but I think will be Ok
Old 11-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

After mine had the full dealer service for whatever reason its now barely noticeable, I have to notice it to notice it if you know what I mean, debating if to bother now, was also debating changing the cam chain tensioner to a manual one but stocks seems good.
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 11-10-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
also debating changing the cam chain tensioner to a manual one but stocks seems good.
Hi Shaun

Manual tensioner on a K13? How is it?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Hi Shaun

Manual tensioner on a K13? How is it?

hi, still on the stock unit but been thinking about an APE one, I only get a very slight rattle for about 1 sec after the bike has been stood for a week or so therefore may just leave alone. I just prefer the principle of set a manual one and the chain stays tensioned.
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 11-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Shooting the gap

Now what you guys are talking about ?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Now what you guys are talking about ?
Yes Ashish, is (relatively) out of topic, but Shaun asked about the same clutch cover, I have replied to your question above

@ Shaun - billywizzz:
The change of the new model chain tensioner is a BMW recall an they will change it for free...
Old 12-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Shooting the gap

can someone post torque settings on clutch cover bolts please?
Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Twisted Wrister

Initial torque is 3 nm (2.2 ft lbs). Then torque another 90 degrees.
Some say that it's okay to re-use the old bolts, others (most) say use now ones.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Entering the on-ramp

see screenshot
Old 12-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I have reused the bolts without any trouble at all. I just torqued them all to 4Nm. I would recommend a new gasket though.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Shooting the gap

If gasket is not expensive, I can get one. is this the right part no 11147727974
Old 12-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi everyone,

Is the noise you're talking about something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGtpP-piJY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1OaPjbuGFg
And finally, my personal one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUJx...ature=youtu.be

Mine is a K1200S 2005, is that possible it is the same problem? Have you found a common resolution?

I have a dealer's warranty of 1 month, but, since the bike is working, don't know if he would care...
Old 12-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno
Hi everyone,

Is the noise you're talking about something like this:

And finally, my personal one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUJx...ature=youtu.be

Mine is a K1200S 2005, is that possible it is the same problem? Have you found a common resolution?

I have a dealer's warranty of 1 month, but, since the bike is working, don't know if he would care...

It sounds terrible and not the noise referred to in this thread, you need to take it back to dealer but it sounds like cam chain noise to me but difficult to tell via a recording.
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 12-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
It sounds terrible and not the noise referred to in this thread, you need to take it back to dealer but it sounds like cam chain noise to me but difficult to tell via a recording.

Thank you, I'm going to a BMW Motorrad service tomorrow to see what they think, I hope the dealer won't make any problem.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Its definitely not the rattle referred to in this thread.
If it disappears when you pull the clutch in then it may be something to do with the clutch basket or friction plates.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'lfoggy' for this post:
Old 12-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Its definitely not the rattle referred to in this thread.
If it disappears when you pull the clutch in then it may be something to do with the clutch basket or friction plates.

Sorry for the off-topic.

I'm starting to be really concerned now; I was hoping it was nothing major or dangerous, but I went out two second ago and (maybe it's just my paranoia) but I notice other things...

Thank you, I'll carry on writing in the other thread.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Shooting the gap

back to the old topic.
Is the chain for oil pump is the one in picture and slack for the chain has to be about 8 mm ?
I would guess that the lower bolt is the one for adjusting ?

Also 2nd picture shows that whole clutch cluster can come out once center 30mm bolt is removed. Or do I have to open all those bolts and remove each plate ?
Old 12-26-2014, 05:01 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Remove the clutch basket assembly by removing the large central nut. The whole thing will then slide out. There is no need to dismantle the assembly any further.
To remove the central nut you need a socket with a quite thin wall as there isn't much clearance.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Shooting the gap

Thanks . I bought a 30 mm socket. Once the assly is out I will know.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Shooting the gap

I made good progress till now. Removed housing, and removed the center clutch nut and was able to pull clutch cluster out. I do not have the unloading pin and that is where I am stuck. did anyone try with some home made pin or I should order one ? may take a few days to arrive
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
I made good progress till now. Removed housing, and removed the center clutch nut and was able to pull clutch cluster out. I do not have the unloading pin and that is where I am stuck. did anyone try with some home made pin or I should order one ? may take a few days to arrive

I have started on this today but am struggling to remove the nut, already bust one socket using the impact gun, how did you remove the nut? As for the loading pin I think you should be able to use a home made pin just enough to hold the spring pressure off the scissor gear.
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 12-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Shooting the gap

I did not remove the clutch assly by removing small nuts before I got to large nut. Since clutch is so heavy the impact to bolt should have loosed it. Did u remove clutch plates by removing small nuts ? if so, may be put them back and try.

I am using 100 psi compressor and 30 mm socket.

Can you point exactly what the pin should be doing in this picture
Old 12-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I tried with clutch spring fitted until the socket gave up, the only other socket I have is too large to fit through the spring plate so removed it and tried again but not enough resistance against the impact gun so I need to get another better quality thin walled socket.

The pin is used to rotate very slightly the inner tensioning gear to take the spring force off so you can slide out the clutch drum, if you look closely you will see there are a pair of gears and the one at the back you need to rotate against the outer. I have done this on other bikes using an allen key through the hole, not sure if it will work here through but I will try when I get the nut off!
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 12-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Shooting the gap

in case it helps. I found a long socket (silver type) outer diameter was 39.8 mm the one I found too big is 41.8 . I got it from advanced auto parts. I am sure any auto shop would have it
Old 12-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Shooting the gap

Washer replaced. putting clutch cage back. Idler and gear behind are properly matched but cage wont go all the way in. Still 4.5mm more to sit in. any clues. I know that oil pump chain drive wheel has to fit in to back of cage. Any pointers how to do that ?
Old 12-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Shooting the gap

All done. Used same bolt / gasket. No leaks. waiting on sky to open up and will take it out for spin. Did leave engine running and tested clutch operation on center stand. Everything looks good so far. Tank you all everyone for posting the details. The info was invaluable. It came in handy.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I got the clutch nut off today (gentle heat on the nut, spring refitted and a wrench on the socket + impact gun), tensioned the very loose oil pump chain and changed the idler gear washer albeit mine was 10 mm bore unlike 10.2 mm as mentioned on here, washer fitted was 9.8 ID x 25 OD x 1.55 mm thick.

My clutch wouldn't go all the way back but I new it would the oil pump drive dogs, just rotated the crank until it pushed back.

Pics to follow.

Special tools needed:

30 mm thin wall extended socket.
Impact gun
4 mm expanding bolt to pull out the idler gear pin
Careful use of a flat blade screwdriver to align the tensioning gears!
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Shooting the gap

Great.

I had extra washers made for just in case. If anyone interested let me know . Cost me $7 a piece.

made from heat treated 4140 steel alloy : 40mm O.D ,9.8mm I.D 1.6mm Depth
Old 12-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
All done. Used same bolt / gasket. No leaks. waiting on sky to open up and will take it out for spin. Did leave engine running and tested clutch operation on center stand. Everything looks good so far. Tank you all everyone for posting the details. The info was invaluable. It came in handy.

Has the 3-4 k rattle gone? Even though I am doing this mod mine wasn't that bad unless I 'listened' for it and now I have seen the components I am very skeptical that this will make any real difference but I don't mind being wrong. The radial clearance on the stock washer is only +/- 0.1 mm so not that loose a fit, the diameter of the washer could cause resonance but again I am clutching at straws.
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 12-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Shooting the gap

Haven't had a chance to go out yet. I will definitely report back, hopefully by tonight.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

A few pics of idler gear shaft & existing washer dimensions, oil pump chain/adjuster + the 'special tool' used to pull the idler gear shaft out.
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 12-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Shooting the gap

My washer measured exact 10.12 and was wobbling like crazy. New one is exact 9.8 and fits precise. Yours is on its way

Weather is too cold for my bones . once it is above freezing, I will take it out for spin. It does not look promising for a few more days ahead.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello, my name is Armin.
I am from Germany, so my english is terrible :-) sorry for that.
I had the same problem with my K1200S. There was a loud noise on the right side of my motor. So i get a little bit afraid, about what will happend on the highway if i drive with maximum speed and something will break.
So i change the chain for the camshaft, and i tighten the chain for the oil pump.
Everything i read about this repair was not correct.
To change the chain is very easy if you have the tool to fix the crankshaft.
For tightening the chain of the oil pump you must not remove the clutch.
And you can fill up the cooling system without any special tools.
If someone needs some information he can send me a pm. I try to explain it as good as possible.
The result of this repair is fantastic. My bike runs better then a new one without any noise or vibration. I measured the old chain and it was 1/2 inch longer then the new one.
Best Regards
Armin
Old 12-31-2014, 01:16 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by armin@k40
Hello, my name is Armin.

Armin

Hello Armin, I am English and my English is terrible so don't worry about yours, certainly better than my German.

How did you get the air out of the cooling system? Usually running a bike with the radiator cap off does the trick but everyone seems nervous on the K12/13, probably because of the position of the water pump.

Shaun
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...
Old 12-31-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armin@k40
Hello, my name is Armin.
I am from Germany, so my english is terrible :-) sorry for that.
I had the same problem with my K1200S. There was a loud noise on the right side of my motor. So i get a little bit afraid, about what will happend on the highway if i drive with maximum speed and something will break.
So i change the chain for the camshaft, and i tighten the chain for the oil pump.
Everything i read about this repair was not correct.
To change the chain is very easy if you have the tool to fix the crankshaft.
For tightening the chain of the oil pump you must not remove the clutch.
If someone needs some information he can send me a pm. I try to explain it as good as possible.
The result of this repair is fantastic. My bike runs better then a new one without any noise or vibration. I measured the old chain and it was 1/2 inch longer then the new one.
Best Regards
Armin

Hi Armin, welcome

Firstly don't worry about your english, If the members of the forum understand my exotic mix of spanglish and bad sense of humor, is because are so good persons

About the change of the chain there are here some information about it, but would be good if you start a thread with your job, some kind of "How to". I'm sure we will take good information
Old 12-31-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
How did you get the air out of the cooling system? Usually running a bike with the radiator cap off does the trick but everyone seems nervous on the K12/13, probably because of the position of the water pump.

Shaun

Hi Shaun

No... Runing the engine with the radiator cap off is really bad idea...

I think the best way to purge the cooling system is following the instruction in the Repair DVD. Surely you will need a vacuum pump or similar device.

Here you can find one of these threads, started by our "Vacuum specialist" Bob

"Home made vacuum coolant filler." http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38146
Old 12-31-2014, 02:50 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Hi Shaun

No... Runing the engine with the radiator cap off is really bad idea...

I think the best way to purge the cooling system is following the instruction in the Repair DVD. Surely you will need a vacuum pump or similar device.

Here you can find one of these threads, started by our "Vacuum specialist" Bob

"Home made vacuum coolant filler." http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38146

Hi Bernado,

I have the BMW DVD and yes according to that you need a vacuum pump etc., never seen such a complex way of the bleeding the system, the approved way on my MV 1090 was to run the bike with radiator cap off until the level dropped and then top up but I do realise the water pump on the K1300 has little water head on it due to its position which is needed to prime without 'forced' assistance.

Thanks for the link....
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
VFR800
Guzzi V12
Benelli TNT
Triumph Speed Triple
Ducati Monster x 2
Fireblade x 2
VTR1000
etc...