I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300R > "K13R" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13R" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: Rate the K1300R
I'd rather a Guzzi 1200 Sport 1 1.23%
I'd rather a Speed Triple 4 4.94%
I'd rather a Super Duke 0 0%
I'd Rather a GS 7 8.64%
It's bearable 1 1.23%
Can you get it Fully Faired? 5 6.17%
It's on par with the K1300S 5 6.17%
It's Perfect 44 54.32%
It's better than the K1300s 14 17.28%
Voters: 81. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Shooting the gap

Rate The K1300R

Let's see who else loves them.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,411 Times in 3,137 Posts

Re: Rate The K1300R

I've never ridden one so can't vote.

Just about every rider that has one loves them. Again if the rider understands what they bought and does not start trying to make it something different(then what was the point of buying the R)than it is.

There are riders who have taken small bikes and toured with them - toured on sport bikes - used GW's to carve up the Dragon - taken street bikes where full blown enduro's were needed and have tried to make motorcrossers into street bikes.

It can all be done - but why.

I think the K1300R is one of the best naked bikes out there. Very hard for me to say leaning towards sport riding or touring - it is not a sport bike or a tourer.

Everytime I see one they look real mean in a very good way. Just looks like a bad a*s bike - which is exactly what I think it is.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 04-17-2013, 02:28 AM
part time American
Thanked 1,307 Times in 321 Posts

The bike is perfect but I lean towards a Speed Triple due to very poor BMW service here in Berlin.

Tom
Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via MSN to loubre

Well just having done a 10,000 km road trip on my R, yep she's perfect, only mods were a Z-technic screen, Helibar Risers which I'd put on anyway as stock bars were just a tad low for me, a custom sheepskin seat cover, grip puppies, when I picked Lady K up I'd already ordered the centre stand and sports pannier kit, with the large BMW sports bag and the BMW tank bag she carried everything I needed, fitted new Dunlop Roadsmart II's for the trip, still got a few thousand kms left on them, only issues were blowing a low beam headlight bulb and the last couple of days the left hand switchgear decided to do strange things, everything still working just the indicators won't cancel unless I switch off the ignition, other than that yep I'd do another 10,000 on her gladly! Fuel consumption was good getting down to 5.0 l per 100kms so got a decent range between fills, at one stage she was showing a range of 410 kms just after filling.
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
2013 K1600GT Montego Blue - GONE
2012 K1300R SE Satin Black - GONE
To be old and wise you must first have been young and stupid!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12r.tom
The bike is perfect but I lean towards a Speed Triple due to very poor BMW service here in Berlin.

Tom

Your kidding on the speed tripple i sold mine to buy the S, if your just going to ride around town and the odd trip the tripple is great, but if you want the mile cruncher you just cant beat the S or the R, you just get alot more bike with the beemers
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

The k1300r is the best all round bike I have ridden.
I ride 60 km to work and back through $hit traffic every day, the k13r is nimble, narrow and very comfortable. For the hooligan on the way to work, this bike can entertain when presented with an R1 or a hyabusa at the lights......
And then there is the twisting mountain stuff, this bike is surprisingly outstanding when you give it a bit, or a heap. And again, all this time the bike is vey comfortable.
Highway running or country road cruising, awesome, yeah you might need some butt softener after 300km, but the stock seat is quite good. Yeah you might like an aftermarket screen to stop the wind battering your chest, and btw, you don't need a full side fairings because the wind doesn't really hit your knees on this thing.
And that suspension setup, braking from high speed with a 105kg lump like me riding it, outstanding!!!

I could go on all night about the merits of the k1300r, but to sum it up,
When I took it for a test ride I thought, hmmm, this is quite a sporty seating position, not sure how comfortable it's going to be commuting/ratbagging/touring.
But it just gets better and more comfortable every time you take it for a decent ride.
I don't know how they made a urban/sports/tourer so well, it just works superbly on all those levels.
The k1300s is also an awesome bike, with much the same goodies, but here in Australia the k1300r is $4,000 cheaper, yeah each bike has its merits, just a bloody shame you yanks don't have the 1300r available to you.

Anyway, did I mention the red looks the best....
Hey DoubleD, is that your bra size.......HA.......

Cheers
KiwiMat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Site Contributor

where's the "not available in the US" option? I like the look of the bike and may have considered one over the S but I didn't have that option
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wbmac' for this post:
Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 AM
Idling

The R is very nice, nearly as a good a sports tourer as the S, I must confess I test rode both and I chose the S. the S gives me the extra wind protection I enjoy on the highway and looks oh so cool. I modified the steering yoke and handlebars on my S and I now have the only thing the R has that the S needed.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
The R is very nice, nearly as a good a sports tourer as the S, I must confess I test rode both and I chose the S. the S gives me the extra wind protection I enjoy on the highway and looks oh so cool. I modified the steering yoke and handlebars on my S and I now have the only thing the R has that the S needed.

FlyingFox,

I have a 2011 S with Helibars (going on 3 months now). I'm curious as to your solution for the bars.
Did you install the "R" yoke and bars? If so, what do you think of the bars' angle compared to stock? - I know the height is probably a bit better.

Do the "S" and the "R" really use different handlebars in their respective yokes?

I think a great solution would be a machined part to raise the stock yoke of the "S", installing between the yoke and the steering head. Any machinists out there???

2016 Ocean Blue GSA
Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Idling

G'Day CJ,
I went to the trouble of swapping over the S yoke for an R yoke then fitted my S handle bars - frankly it didn't work for me so I had a rethink. Fortunately I could give the R yoke back so only time lost. I put the original S yoke back on and ordered a set of Helibars. I had to order them from the States (I'm in Australia) I wanted them painted black and the service was simply awesome highly recommended. When they arrived I fitted them with no issues of any note and I'm now absolutely satisfied. Coupled with the Evoluzione peg lowering brackets (very neat -1inch). I'm 5'11" with a 31inch inseam I weight 85kgs and I can ride all day with no discomfort. The bike handles at least as good as stock and as I'm more comfortable I believe I ride the bike better than ever.
It's a simple mod and a great deal less complicated than fiddling with the head yoke. Try it first and if you are similar to my body specs I trust it works for you as it does for me.
The only other essential mod to the handle bars are Grip Puppies, a must for the final comfort touch.
Happy riding you have the greatest Super Touring Sports Bike ever created.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Twisted Wrister

The only flaw I can see in the K1300R is that BMW WON'T SELL IT IN THE U.S.!!!!! I wanted an R but had to buy the S.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
G'Day CJ,
I went to the trouble of swapping over the S yoke for an R yoke then fitted my S handle bars - frankly it didn't work for me so I had a rethink. Fortunately I could give the R yoke back so only time lost. I put the original S yoke back on and ordered a set of Helibars. I had to order them from the States (I'm in Australia) I wanted them painted black and the service was simply awesome highly recommended. When they arrived I fitted them with no issues of any note and I'm now absolutely satisfied. Coupled with the Evoluzione peg lowering brackets (very neat -1inch). I'm 5'11" with a 31inch inseam I weight 85kgs and I can ride all day with no discomfort. The bike handles at least as good as stock and as I'm more comfortable I believe I ride the bike better than ever.
It's a simple mod and a great deal less complicated than fiddling with the head yoke. Try it first and if you are similar to my body specs I trust it works for you as it does for me.
The only other essential mod to the handle bars are Grip Puppies, a must for the final comfort touch.
Happy riding you have the greatest Super Touring Sports Bike ever created.

Thanks FlyingFox! I have to agree - the K1300S is truly the greatest Super Touring Sports Bike ever created. Hit it on the head

I too have the Helibars installed and like them quite a bit. I was curious if the stock 'S' bars fit into the "R" bridge - appears they do. Ditto on the Grip Puppies - they are a great addition. I tried to procure a set of MFW lowered pegs, but the backorder for the lowering arms is 2 months and running, so I gave up! I might go with the set-up from Pirate.

I'm 6'4" and 88kg (34" inseam), so lower pegs would be a bonus. I also have the 31mm plates from Beech, and they really increase the bikes agility in fast turns and low speed maneuvers. I think I'll try to get used to the Helibar set-up before considering the "R" yoke. I'll steer clear of the Verholen monstrosities though

I LOVE this bike. It's by far the best Sport-tourer I have ever ridden. Built like a vault, sounds incredible, smooth as silk, and ridiculous POWER. Greatest styling hands down- have I missed anything?

2016 Ocean Blue GSA
Old 05-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMadura

I think a great solution would be a machined part to raise the stock yoke of the "S", installing between the yoke and the steering head. Any machinists out there???

I think KS and KR have very different yokes, you can't mechanize, have to change it
Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,538 Times in 720 Posts

I just got back from doing 6400kms in 9 days on my 1300r. My riding buddy was on a 2011 Concours 1400. He was no more comfortable than me at the end of each day. 3 of the days were 900+kms days. Including the last day at 923kms with the last 650kms in the pouring west coast rain on a 3 lane highway, then the last 250kms on a twisty 1 lane road also pouring rain.
During the trip we encountered temps of -1 to 29 degrees. We went as high as 9600 feet and back to sea level.
We rode very very twisty roads at hooligan speeds for hours at at time.
We also went through the Nevada desert riding straight roads at 180-200kms per hour for up to an hour at a time. It was in Nevada that I also hit a top speed of 240kmph with the bike still wanting to go faster but with me remembering that I had a family to come home to.
The mods I have done to this bike are...new custom seat (stock too hard imo) and added a Laminar lip. I also put on a throttle clip for cruise control.
I now have 10700kms on my bike, purchasing it Jan 17th of this year.
I also put new tires on my bike in Sandy Utah (BMW) Michilen pilot road 4s. That was 1600kms into the trip. These tires are brilliant!!
In conclusion...this is a brilliant all round bike. As close to perfect you can get. IMO.
I was originally going to buy the S but once I sat on one I soon realized that the riding position was too forward for this old guy.
I'm am sad to hear that the R will no longer come to Canada too. Pity.
By the way you should have seen the guys at the Sandy BMW dealer checking out my R!
When I told the parts guy what kind of bike I was having serviced he looked right up from his computer and said "Where did you get that bike"?! Lol...
Thank you BMW for making such an awesome bike!

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'trevorf' for this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 04:33 AM
Thanked 1,405 Times in 792 Posts

Hey David. I always thought that there wasn't a lit of difference between my k12r and the k13r. A mate of mine has gone to Europe for 3 months and I have his 13r. I am impressed with the smoothness and extra power. The quickshifter is addictive. I think the styling is a step backwards though. I will be bringing the k13r on the ride next weekend.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 06-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Site Contributor

Ya know!

As much as I lust for a 1290 Super Duke or the yummy wheels pictured below my K1200R is as practical, versatile and comfortable in paved environments as a GS while retaining a far greater aesthetic and dynamic visceral appeal. She has proven faithful for now nearly 60K miles, and in scenes like these I regularly enjoy "exclusivity".

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:16 AM

Wed. June 10th I leave for John Day OR. to meet up with 17 guys for the GS (Old Suzukis) PNW Rally. I should be taking one of my Suzuki's but I can't resist taking the BMW.
Can't wait to stretch her legs!!

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
Old 07-19-2015, 07:07 AM

Rate the K1300R....... Hmmm touch of bias perhaps but I love this bike! From triumph to guzzi,Honda to Harley,by far the best ,most fun, and coolest bike I've ever had the pleasure of riding let alone owning! Would honestly doubt if I'd ever replace it! She's truly a blast to own and ride. Power,predictability,adjustability ,brakes,comfort.....what more could one want or need? LOVE on 2 wheels!
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'TBarnes' for this post:
Old 10-04-2015, 12:07 PM

Over 38,000kms in 20 months. All over BC and through 9 States. Rode tons two up...rode like a hooligan by myself. Ride it every day in city traffic, and ride it 12 months of the year. Rode many 1000 + kms days. This bike does everything and it does all very well indeed. Not sure how it could ever be replaced.

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'trevorf' for this post:
Old 12-31-2015, 06:37 AM
Site Contributor

I rate er' a "10" even without shift assist and the extra hundred CCs

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Getting up to speed

I simply love it. It's awesome. (But I'm far from an expert, I'm even not that much of a gifted biker, and I can't compare with many other bikes.)

Flawless and very reliable until now (60.000 km). Maintenance is expensive. It's also expensive to run (it soaks up liters of 98 octane like it's bottomless, tyres wear quickly with all that power). But it's a blast.

I like the engine. It's got everything from elastic low rev high gear cruising to extremely powerful redline blasting. The sound range is bonkers. It breathes and spits fire (red hot Akrapovic inside after spirited drive) and roars through its intake like a DTM BMW M3 4-pot with Flachschiebe. Gotta love that.

I like the ride. It's not harsh, it's sporty enough, it sits reasonably well. It's got a speed limiter (aka licence saving device) installed which blows loads of wind in your face to notify you of broken speed limits - comes in handy! It's cool (in summer, on colder days you just have to dress a little warmer). It's got endless ground clearance on angle. It doesn't dive its headlight into the tarmac when braking. (Sure, it's a bit woolly on the front end compared to a stiff classic front fork, but nothing's perfect right.)

I like the looks. To me, it looks somewhat of a street boxer. A mean, battered, somewhat ugly-faced, powerful, impressive, bare bundle of balls. Not trying to be pretty, just honest and mean skin over mighty muscle over beasty bones. Done. Yep, it's got issues in the looks department, for sure, but that's why I see it as 'human'.

And I foremost like the character of it. It's got it all. Jekyll & Hyde. Easy stroller to bonkers Autobahn missile. Manageable city traffic slicer, even. And awesome in the smooth, medium bends. It's not insane, it does not want to bite your head of, it's not lazy nor is it a pig. It justs wants your respect and some getting used to. Give it what it needs (respect, a lot of fuel and many many tyres) and it rewards your love with everything you want from it.

And you don't see it that often. Which I like too.

Things I like just a bit less:
- Difficult to fuel up fully.
- Mediocre front lighting.
- Handlebars maybe a tick to deep.
- Slippery seat.
- No storage space whatsoever underneath the seat.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'gTa9000' for this post:
Old 02-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Getting up to speed

excellent post gTa9000 !!!!!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rahuld' for this post:
Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 AM

Same! Wish I was as eloquent and I would said exactly the same!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'TBarnes' for this post:
Old 02-10-2016, 05:32 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks guys, that's too much credit. ;-) We're all lyrical about our K43. Some express that by writing fat blurry black lines on stretches of tarmac, somewhere. Others express it through their keyboard. All is good!
There are still some grammatical errors as well ... I'm quite ashamed about that, I would correct them but the post's too old to edit. A 'to' here and there should be 'too', one 'of' should be an 'off' and some extra commas are welcome too.

Anyway: thanks & happy riding!
Old 03-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

perfect just purchased my third R on the 2nd march.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedojadlo
perfect just purchased my third R on the 2nd march.

Third "R" !!! Wow

May be some pics ?

Last edited by bernardo : 08-25-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:09 PM

well

what should i say, my third R is on after as you all know my Little babe has gone to metal heaven.....it has Everything (almost) ...BR tuning is looking for a better suitible way for my turboplans.

but the R has iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttt the best bike ever built.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Braggerman' for this post:
Old 02-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Getting up to speed

no I don't like it .... I love it ... handles better than any large motor cycle should, eats rough bitumen ... personally I prefer softer carcass tires (Conti sports attach 111) as opposed to alpha13's or GT's of any brand...last me 6 to 8k ... standard suspension works fine for me (82kg after a beer & a couple bits of pizza) but only got 40k klm on her...I'm sure one day I'll have the shocks rebuilt... there must be some thing wrong with my clutch because it doesn't make any noise :-D... I turn the traction control off when the tyres are low enough to replace, oh the fun that can be had ... seat could be a bit softer, my backside gets calluses with in 400k... It's like my k12 but better everywhere ... average fuel consumption 5.2/100...better than most other bikes with similar exciting performance.... Just pisses me off that BMWoobleU stopped production ... do most of my own maintenance 'cept for ABS, coolant fluids... found a bloke called Ozzy after going to 3 different stealerships who charged me for expensive parking as opposed to doing an actual service... I use Penrite racing 10/40 full synth...Doesn't use a drop of oil in 8k changes... the first 15k it sucked it till I changed over ... mobile1 10/40 racing worked well too but too far to travel to get it and the penrite is cheaper.... It's a blast to ride...A mate on his pulled very low 10's at the drags pretty well stock ... it's even a fabulous to ride not taking it over 4000rpm...When I die I'm gunna be stuffed mounted on my K13R put in a glass case, I will have a smile...I reckon I'd look good in my daughters lounge room
Thank you
Will
P.S.tyres or tires wasn't sure which would be acceptable so I used both
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Will RideKR' for this post:
Old 02-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Getting up to speed

It's like I read something I wrote myself but didn't remember writing. ;-D Nice one, Will! Couldn't agree more!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'gTa9000' for this post:
Old 05-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Rate the K1300R? It's one letter short of being a GREAT motorcycle.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR