I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:19 AM
Getting up to speed

Stalling/Bogging down

Apologies for such a long story but Id love anyone's thoughts on this, though hopefully I'll get a phone call later today from the dealer telling me its fixed, thank heavens for extended warranty.

My bike, a 2011 13GT, is back at the dealers after developing a stalling bogging down issue for the 3rd time but a bit of symptoms / history.

Symptoms are: If bike started from cold will at first start up fine and tick over nice and smoothly but after a few minutes If I just let her idle will start to hunt badly with the revs dropping suddenly and occasionally will just stall. If I actually go ride her, on smaller throttle openings engine will bog with no power but if I give it WOT will suddenly clear and take off like a scalded bat but once cruising again if I try opening throttle will bog. This issue will mostly clear once Ive done a few miles, but occasionally returns.

First had this problem when bike was 4 months old after having ridden in very heavy rain one day. Dealer had bike for 4/5 days and eventually said they sorted it by changing one of the coil packs AND the O2 sensor. Their explanation was that a coil pack was shorting out causing unburnt fuel to go down the pipe and blow the O2 sensor in the process.

Bike was fine for many months then returned one day and back it went, but this time they couldn't find any issues and after a couple of days returned bike to me and again it was fine for months until the other day.

So symptoms have returned and bike is back at dealer and this time although the mixture again is too rich nothing is showing up as causing the issue, IE whats telling the bike to supply more fuel than needed.

The only common denominator I can see is that this issue only seems to re-occur in the colder/damper months
Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,429 Times in 3,150 Posts

Re: Stalling/Bogging down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbox
Apologies for such a long story but Id love anyone's thoughts on this, though hopefully I'll get a phone call later today from the dealer telling me its fixed, thank heavens for extended warranty.

My bike, a 2011 13GT, is back at the dealers after developing a stalling bogging down issue for the 3rd time but a bit of symptoms / history.

Symptoms are: If bike started from cold will at first start up fine and tick over nice and smoothly but after a few minutes If I just let her idle will start to hunt badly with the revs dropping suddenly and occasionally will just stall. If I actually go ride her, on smaller throttle openings engine will bog with no power but if I give it WOT will suddenly clear and take off like a scalded bat but once cruising again if I try opening throttle will bog. This issue will mostly clear once Ive done a few miles, but occasionally returns.

First had this problem when bike was 4 months old after having ridden in very heavy rain one day. Dealer had bike for 4/5 days and eventually said they sorted it by changing one of the coil packs AND the O2 sensor. Their explanation was that a coil pack was shorting out causing unburnt fuel to go down the pipe and blow the O2 sensor in the process.

Bike was fine for many months then returned one day and back it went, but this time they couldn't find any issues and after a couple of days returned bike to me and again it was fine for months until the other day.

So symptoms have returned and bike is back at dealer and this time although the mixture again is too rich nothing is showing up as causing the issue, IE whats telling the bike to supply more fuel than needed.

The only common denominator I can see is that this issue only seems to re-occur in the colder/damper months
Tim:

Have you read this thread?
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...light=stalling

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 01-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,180 Posts

I have to agree, for the money involved give a booster plug or an accelerator plug a shot at it. This module cured a friends K bike that would stall when coming to a stop, run rough, shift difficult you name it. I have one and it cured slow throttle response and the occasional stall. Because of parts variations, there is a wide spectrum of drivability in the bikes. Some are down right bad while the majority are okay to good.
http://www.sol2.be/
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for the replies guys it is much appreciated but the vast majority of the time my bike fuels faultlessly, this is a sensor or connection breaking down so I wouldn't want to introduce another component into the mix, and the fact my bike is OVER Fueling when this happens Im not sure that it would help with the issue. But again thanks for taking the time.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Well, this is a long-shot, but when the K13GT first came out in '09. stalling was a very common issue.

It finally was resolved by BMW with a software update. Could be your bike was built just prior to the update? In any case, you might ask your dealer to run the software that fixed the stalling problems on these bikes.

See the quote below my signature from a thread at the time on the stalling issue,

Miles

-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Re: BMW K1300S and K1300GT Stalling Issue

This isuue was addressed with a software update last year. My bike had the stalling issue. BMW did the update, and the problem was solved. Check with your dealer to see if the update actually is in your bike. it sometimes takes sevral trys.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbox
and the fact my bike is OVER Fueling when this happens
I was wondering what are the indications of over fueling in these situations?
Any word from the dealer?
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
I was wondering what are the indications of over fueling in these situations?
Any word from the dealer?

I went and collected bike today and its like a different bike. What they found were 2 corroded connections, 1 on a coilpack, 1 on a Injector, plus, BMW fatherland directed the dealer to replace the TPS and CPS as a matter of course but it looks like the connections were breaking down when wet, that stuff called rain which hasn't really stopped here for about 3 months, or so it seems.

What is now very apparent was that before, even when the bike wasn't actually bogging/stalling it wasn't right as the whole feel of the bike seems very different now, it was probably a gradual thing that I wasn't fully noticing.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:11 PM

I bet it is nice to have a good running bike again.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I bet it is nice to have a good running bike again.

It was for a day, piece of crap has started doing it again, nearly got rear ended just now as I was trying to overtake, end of tether now, I feel like setting fire to the thing
Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Man, I know how you feel, I can't stand it when something is not right with machinery. I know you don't think this has anything to do with the situation but I really think you should try this, not big money and has worked for so many in your situation:
Accelerator module.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 01-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Born to ride

Quote:
Man, I know how you feel, I can't stand it when something is not right with machinery. I know you don't think this has anything to do with the situation but I really think you should try this, not big money and has worked for so many in your situation:
Accelerator module.

I have to ask why we need to purchase an after-market part to make a $23k, top-of-the-line, BMW motorcycle run the way it should.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Flyer
I have to ask why we need to purchase an after-market part to make a $23k, top-of-the-line, BMW motorcycle run the way it should.

I have an aquantence who is a master BMW motorad mechanic. Probably the best I have ever run into personally. His K1300S has a Booster plug in it. I have to agree the effort to map the fuel for these bikes was not taken to the point of completion/success.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Born to ride

Quote:
I have an aquantence who is a master BMW motorad mechanic. Probably the best I have ever run into personally. His K1300S has a Booster plug in it. I have to agree the effort to map the fuel for these bikes was not taken to the point of completion/success.

IMHO, that is the case with a lot of things on these bikes.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 PM
stays crispy in milk

Tim,

Do they use Calcium Chloride on the roads where you live? Just riding in the rain shouldn't harm the wiring or overwhelm the waterproof connectors.

If they do use Calcium Chloride, especially as a pre-wetted brine in advance of snow or ice, they is a high likely hood that more parts of your wiring harness have been affected. Stranded wire wicks that stuff in solution in ways that would be hard to believe unless you'd witnessed it in a lab.

I'd not be shocked to learn that your dealer locates more problems with your bikes electrics due to corrosion.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:55 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to larrykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Well, this is a long-shot, but when the K13GT first came out in '09. stalling was a very common issue.

It finally was resolved by BMW with a software update. Could be your bike was built just prior to the update? In any case, you might ask your dealer to run the software that fixed the stalling problems on these bikes.

See the quote below my signature from a thread at the time on the stalling issue,

Miles

This isuue was addressed with a software update last year. My bike had the stalling issue. BMW did the update, and the problem was solved. Check with your dealer to see if the update actually is in your bike. it sometimes takes sevral trys.

And 2 plus years later.. The bike runs extremely well, but I needed to have the fuel system cleaned last year by the dealer as I was getting occasional stalling( the ethanol blend of gas we are using). Suggested by the dealer to use some Techron every or every other fill-up. It helps measurably. the bike is 4 years old and really runs nicely. No Major issues.

Turning 77 shortly and I may go for another "bucket list" ride from NY to the Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive Parkways to the Tail of the Dragon that I did 2 years ago, or instead another week long ride through northern NY state, VT & NH. Trouble is, finding a similarly aged fellow ride. Most of the guys I used to ride with have stopped. My local BMW Club has some great people that I do some longer rides with for long weekends. My problem is keeping up with them after the rides for the nightlife....

When will winter be over , so I can get back on the road?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'larrykay' for this post:
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Turning 77 shortly and I may go for another "bucket list" ride from NY to the Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive Parkways to the Tail of the Dragon that I did 2 years ago, or instead another week long ride through northern NY state, VT & NH. My problem is keeping up with them after the rides for the nightlife....

Larry,

Great to hear from you - as you saw, borrowed a line from one of your posts, but looks like the problem here is a fueling one rather than a software issue.

And yes, pleased to see you are continuing to ride! Well, as you know, we're comrade-in-arms. Turning 75 next month. Difference is you wisely kept your bike, but with me - went from the slant fours to an inline six, and now a boxer twin.

Like yourself, riding buds are few-and-far between. Mostly ride with my wife who also has a twin - an R12R.

You know, bet you keep-up just fine during the rides, it's just that night life that gets you at our age bracket!

Miles
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller

Miles

This isn't just a stalling issue, I could actually handle that, on a few occasions yesterday the bike refused to go above 65mph, on our dual-carriageways that's a real issue as it makes overtaking a very worrying task. My dealer are contacting BMW Head office to try and get a senior tech along to have a look.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,031 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:

The statement:
"I have to agree the effort to map the fuel for these bikes was not taken to the point of completion/success."
is correct and in fact an under-statement of the mess BMW did with these new 4 cylinders engine when it came out in 2005 (K1200S was the first generation).

Even the moto-magazines tester complained when it came out. Imagine this: you invite hundreds of moto-mag people who will write about your new model (new design) and many of them will complain that it is not ready. Most of them noted issues, but they were way too polite...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parts for K1200RS for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Getting up to speed

Well, the good news is that the dealer is taking a Brand New W/C 1200GS out of the crate tomorrow and lending it to me until they can get a Senior Tech from BMW Head Office to take a look at my bike.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi Timbox,

Did this ever get resolved?

Rgds, Dave.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:25 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I'll ask one more thing: what has been the octane rating of the gas you're using and is it rated "Top Tier"?

If you're unfamiliar with Top Tier gas, the short version is that back in the 80's BMW and several other major carmakers (GM and Ttoyota among them) noticed fouling of intake systems and buildup of black sludge on the inlet side of intake valves, on low-mileage cars. Various work-arounds were tried and for BMW a lot of cars came in for in-place walnut shell blast cleaning of intakes. All for naught, nothing worked for long.

So the majors forced a reformulation in US gasoline through EPA. It wasn't enough, and the result was institution of a further requirement for five times the detergent levels of EPA-regulated gasoline. This became known as "Top Tier" gas and is a regulated designation.

The above is light on details but contains IIRC the essentials of the story regards detergent levels.

NOW THE REASON I BRING THIS UP.... if you've been using Top Tier gas (applies to all octane levels BTW) then fuel should not IMHO be your problem and none of us should need the occasional shot of Techron, Seafoam or what-have-you (yes, exceptions certainly apply, it's a very complex subject). My personal think is that the problem goes back to BMW Motorrad mapping of fuel levels in these engines, probably also to do with ignition mapping as well.

I very much like my 2010 K1300GT, it has 25,000 miles and I'm running 87 octane (regular) containing up to 10% ethanol. No soapboxing about the ethanol scam, please. Bike runs "pretty well" with only a little weakness at idle. But we don't get these bikes to sit in traffic, do we?

OTOH, not all bikes have trouble and we don't know what fraction of bikes do. There are many other causes, among them operator error and attitude. No one comes online looking for glowing reports, we come here when we have problems - that's why most people die in hospitals. But some discussion is certainly good for the collective soul.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:30 PM

I contacted Tim and he is doing well on a nice older Triumph. His dealer found a bad coil. And a bad tank of old fuel. It ran well for 8 months after that until he switched to a smaller beemer that was totaled when he got rear ended. He was okay. Thought that he might go a bit simpler and found himself a bike mentioned above. Nice guy in his email. There was some thought that the bad coil might have poisoned the O2 sensor but nothing came of that. He leans hard on the bad gas theory as it was old.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

So maybe the wicking of calcium chloride theory is at the heart of (some) of his problems. Bad gas is a conundrum, apparently "it's just one of those things" that can (and do) happen to some of us.

I've always thought that older Triumphs so well present what is essential to a motorcycle, in the style that really hits the nail on the head. But now I have a K13GT and what else could one possibly want?

Still wonder about the quality of gas, generally, that he was using, but if the OP is off list, let it be.