I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Re: New K1300S replacement is in development!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashu
I decided to move on to a tuono or s1000r. For my 145lbs body, they are fine.
Did a test ride on sr and loved it. A large mra screen should fix find issue. Waiting on tuono arrival of 1100.
My silver ks is in market already. Try to grab the june deal.
The Restyled Tuono 1100 with the V4 lump has me excited too!
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:33 AM
Getting up to speed

OK... I like the Aprilia, & they've finally upped the power on the Tuono, so that it just beats the K13R to most the "most powerful naked bike" title that it has bizarrely held for several years without being either the most powerful or particularly naked, to the same as the K13S, but it's hardly a replacement, or even competition, for this bike unless you only use your K13 for what the Tuono is capable of. It's not made for luggage or 2-up travelling & I'd not fancy too many miles in the saddle in one go.
2002 R1150GS
2001 F650GS
1999 R1100GS
1997 F650
1995 F650
Old 06-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog
OK... I like the Aprilia, & they've finally upped the power on the Tuono, so that it just beats the K13R to most the "most powerful naked bike" title that it has bizarrely held for several years without being either the most powerful or particularly naked, to the same as the K13S, but it's hardly a replacement, or even competition, for this bike unless you only use your K13 for what the Tuono is capable of. It's not made for luggage or 2-up travelling & I'd not fancy too many miles in the saddle in one go.
Against my better judgement (don't want to off course this thread), I'll try to followup on my earlier post.

First, I was not really suggesting that the Tuono would be a direct replacement for the K1300S per se. Due to that, I should have probably just kept my thoughts/comments to myself as this thread is mostly focused on K12/13S diehards wondering what the fate of the bike will be.

The KS was/is a great bike, however unlike some of you, I believe that other great bikes exist too. The real tricky part is that what makes a bike great sometimes differs even amongst the ownership group that think it's great. For example, on the KS some love the front suspension, others "deal" with the front suspension. Some are perfectly happy with the weight and wish additional features were included (cruise control, electric windshield, etc), while others wish the bike weighed 50-100 lbs less. Some riders claim that they wouldn't buy the bike without the drive shaft that "BMW is known for", while yet others (self included) would have preferred that they save the weight and use a lighter and more importantly more reliable and adjustable chain or belt on the bike. Some love the wide powerband and want the ability to do top gear roll-on passes with ease while others don't mind shifting a gear to keep the motor "in the meat".

As they say, different strokes for different folks. Along the same lines, the perfect/best replacement would likely vary amongst this group a bit. Some here might (and have) opt for the new water cooled GS. Staying with BMW, some might choose the new R1200RS, RT, K16GT, or even the S1000R or S1000XR. I haven't actually been looking for another bike specifically to compete with the KS, but some have found favor with the Multistrada or KTM SuperAdventure. Gasp... some here have even bought the new FJR and liked it.

In my case, I think if I could put some luggage onto a Tuono I'd find it an absolute hoot with sharp handling that I think would easily surpass a KS in the gnarly stuff and a motor that (to me) would be more fun with that V4 lump. Is it a typical out of the box sport tourer? No. Would it be as comfortable as a KS on a 600+ mile day? I don't know but if forced to answer I'd say, "probably not". Which would I rather run through a very tight road or roadrace course? Without thought I'd take the Ape. Which have I taken cross country? The KS.

I guess at the end of the day what you need to keep in mind is that the end may/might/probably is near for your beloved KS. Don't fret too much however as the good news is that there are so many incredibly good bikes out there right now you should be able to keep a giant grin on your face should you be "forced" to buy one.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 06-05-2015, 06:30 AM
Getting up to speed

I have test riden many bikes looking for a replkacement For my K1300S,The F1000XR was fantastic and if it had belt or shaft drive I would buy one ,The new R1200RS also fantastic but not as good as the XR .
The Aprilia fantastic as where the Triumphs but I do not want another Chain drive .

So I may be back on a K1300S sooner than I thought .
BMW F700GS
Aprilia Mille RSV-R Edwards Rep.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Smile Re: New K1300S replacement is in development!

For me I'm perfectly happy with my K13SHP and have no intention of ever selling it so a replacement is not as important to me. If this is the last bike I own I will be happy forever.

2012 K1300S HP #419

Past BMW
1996 K1100RS Nice bike
Other Previous rides
96 HD Fatboy custom
94 HD Sportster
96 HD Sportster Wifes
Bunch of Vespa P200E restored and sold
A ton of Japanese bikes not worth mentioning
Old 06-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue
Agree about the Hossack front end, it's the smoothest I've ever ridden. It works so well, people complain of vagueness. If you have ever watched the thing while in motion, it handles stuff you cannot even see in the road. Constantly moving as little as a fraction of an inch. A very good design I think, ignoring issues with the ball joints which happen but could be remedied by the engineers with better quality parts or something.

You're dead on target with both points. Down hill, on the brakes, less than perfect or uniform road surface the Hossack or Telelever suspension wipes the floor with telescopic forks. Same with curb cuts and similar situations. All the computerized, electronic sensor laden DDS in the world is simply a Band-Aid on a severe congenital birth defect. And all that is needed for the "ball joints" is to smack the BMW bean counters up-side the head and specify a harder Rockwell rating from their supplier.(How often do autos have ball joint problems carrying all the weight and in the dirty environment they're in?) Including a "zerk" fitting on the ball joints would also infinitely increase their service life.

BMW simply doesn't like the added production cost of Hossack/Telelever, and would rather play to Luddites and those who value form over function. The complicated, non repairable bullshit electronic DDS on their inverted telescopic forks is relatively cheap for BMW production, yet it costs the consumer the equivalent of a sizable down payment on a new bike to replace after warranty expires. It's a cute little 'con job' I'm NOT buying!!

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 06-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Twisted Wrister

Shortly after I went through the ordeal of replacing my K12 shocks I did my son's VFR.
Just getting the spring rates right on my K12 was like pulling teeth. I got really good at removing the Wilbers, at least Beemershop replaced springs for free until I got the correct sag and travel. Read "A shocking Tale" thread for the specifics.
The VFR was SOOO much easier. I went to Honda, the parts guy looked up the stock spring rate and ordered the front and rear shocks and parts. He knew what questions to ask and the springs were perfect the first time. The shock and fork kit each came with shim packs and clear instructions right down to "if the bike feels unstable during bumpy turns reduce the rebound dampening by adding two #10 conical shims to the stack". In two days the VFR was dialed in as opposed to two months for the Wilbers.

My point is that sliding forks are generations ahead of the Telelever front end for adjustability. With practice a shim stack and fluid change takes an hour. Dial it in perfectly in the time it takes change the front shock once on a Telelever. A perfectly dialed in fork out handles a "good enough" Telelever so we will see forks on bikes where adjustment is important.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Shortly after I went through the ordeal of replacing my K12 shocks I did my son's VFR.
Just getting the spring rates right on my K12 was like pulling teeth. I got really good at removing the Wilbers, at least Beemershop replaced springs for free until I got the correct sag and travel. Read "A shocking Tale" thread for the specifics.
The VFR was SOOO much easier. I went to Honda, the parts guy looked up the stock spring rate and ordered the front and rear shocks and parts. He knew what questions to ask and the springs were perfect the first time. The shock and fork kit each came with shim packs and clear instructions right down to "if the bike feels unstable during bumpy turns reduce the rebound dampening by adding two #10 conical shims to the stack". In two days the VFR was dialed in as opposed to two months for the Wilbers.

My point is that sliding forks are generations ahead of the Telelever front end for adjustability. With practice a shim stack and fluid change takes an hour. Dial it in perfectly in the time it takes change the front shock once on a Telelever. A perfectly dialed in fork out handles a "good enough" Telelever so we will see forks on bikes where adjustment is important.
I had both the ESA shocks rebuild on my K-S and internals changed/adjusted by one of the guys who was part of the WP design team for BMW. He knew what questions to ask and both shocks were perfect the first time, while retaining some adjustability through the ESA system. All it took for me was taking them out once and putting them in once. Which was not all that hard.

On my R-S things were even easier, as replacing the shocks is like15 mins work on that Telelever bike and since the shocks I put on were fully adjustable for inbound, outbound, preload and length setting it up was just a matter of following instructions and then changing to taste given that the correct springs were mounted from the start.

Not really relevant all this, but just to show that Duolever/Telelever does not have to be a pain in the ass.

Trailoring is a sin. Call 1-800-LEARNTORIDE.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA

Try "dialing-OUT" fork dive from weight transfer under moderate to hard braking while retaining supple compliance over road irregularities.

After near 120K miles of metropolitan road warfare on a Telelever equipped R1100S I replaced the shock with no need for spring rate concerns, fancy valving or superfluous and costly electronic boneroo. The 'ball joints' didn't even need attention.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Old 06-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Twisted Wrister

I was explaining why forks are still around in the face of superior design. Same goes for chains, they change ratios easily.

throttlemeister, have any contact information? I have 1K miles on my K13 and long for the K12's compliance and control.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Have a look at the attached if you think BM could not do a K1600S to replace the K1300S.
Traffic would not be a problem riding something like this.

K1600S.jpg
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rgraham1960' for this post:
Old 06-15-2015, 10:08 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgraham1960
Have a look at the attached if you think BM could not do a K1600S to replace the K1300S.
Traffic would not be a problem riding something like this.

Attachment 26235

Is that from the new Mad Max movie or something or just a photo shop job?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Looks like a design by Giger. Dude, that's the Alien's bike!

Seeya
ATB
Old 06-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Shooting the gap

That is pretty much a Yamaha vmaxx .
Old 07-05-2015, 04:51 AM
Getting up to speed

Hello from.the BMW Motorrad Days 2015 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
Out of all the wonder here, there is a sad news. The show room has all the bikes of the moment and the K1300 S or R are nowhere to be seen. Not even the Motorsport edition. I talked to a BMW rep saying I was thinking about replacing my 2011 K1300S, and his response was simple: "If you want to ride a K13 in the future, keep yours!"
The book is closed, and what a ride it has been.. And will be if you keep it.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:32 AM
... ...

Thanks for the update. Sad news BMW will do away with their muscle bike (the R).
Old 07-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
How I know is immaterial but suffice it to say that I have it on reasonably good authority that the K1300S replacement is in development at the moment. Given that we have seen the new Motorsport colour scheme for the 2015 model year we can hopefully expect to see the replacement in the 2016 model year.

This is good news for those like me who don't want a 1600GT and who have scratched the S1000RR itch. I rode mine today to pick up a part from a local dealer and reminded myself what a really good bike the K1300S is.

Think you are spot on, proven so . However, my eternal question at the moment is 'what's the replacement?' I need to lose my KR (it's getting old, so am I). The wind turbulence between 70 and er, *80* gets a bit much after a while. I'm now doing 240 mile round trip day commutes on average 3 times a month so something more adept is required. Keep looking at the K13S, secretly hoping a new model is revealed very soon that does it even better.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Twisted Wrister

You might do like I did, read the handwriting on the wall and get one NOW. All too soon they will be all gone. There may be better bikes out there in the future, there may not.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRide
, and his response was simple: "If you want to ride a K13 in the future, keep yours!"

I will

Feelings apart: I think K13R will be one of the most famous vintage motorcycles in a near future, Is really a badass bike

And surely I'll buy another, like a GS1200 with 1 optional: a ladder
Old 07-05-2015, 11:10 PM
The Dude abides.

Send a message via Skype™ to FLHRSI

I am approaching the 6000 Mile Mark on my k1300s.. The more I ride it the more I love it.. I plan to keep it a very long time.. However, if BMW thinks that when it's time for me to replace my K I will buy another BMW, unless they replace it with an equivalent, they are dead wrong.. I do not want anything smaller or slower- which about sums up their current alternatives..

It's ok BMW- no hard feelings.. I'll continue to give you my money to care for my current bike, but if you want any more from me than that, you better release a worthy replacement.. Choice is yours..
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'FLHRSI' for this post:
Old 07-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Shooting the gap

I'm pretty sure the fact that BMW is touting their new ABS Pro system on all the currently announced 2016 bikes means the K1300S is truly done. None of the new systems, like ABS Pro, DSC, cruise control or the 2nd gen quickshift will work without a drive by wire throttle. So they will try and sell everyone on the "S1000 I can do everything" platform as a viable replacement. The thing is, I didn't buy the K1300S because it was a BMW, I bought it in spite of that fact. I'm pretty sure many others did too. So when I'm ready for a new bike, if BMW doesn't have a real replacement for the K1300S, I'll go looking elsewhere. And by real replacements, I mean big engine, shaft drive with hossack front suspension with all the best electronic systems available at the time.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post:
Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Shooting the gap

I read somewhere that Honda is coming up with even a better front suspension on their sports touring.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Twisted Wrister

Sorry BMW, if you don't have a K1300s size bike I am buying an Aprilia. Their electronics are light years ahead of yours. The RSV4 traction control is a delight, unlike the BMW "Mother may I, no you may not" system.
My friend's RSV4 is dialed in so you cannot loop it, but it will wheelie with the front wheel just off the ground. The traction control is very hard to detect, as it should be.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:37 PM
The Dude abides.

I rode my KS along sea to sky highway (from Seattle to Whistler BC and back) over the weekend. What a joy!

All I can say is "I'm glad I've got mine!".
Old 07-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Site Contributor

As long as I can cost effectively keep my K1200R rolling; I will! And if no other manufacturer produces an equal I may just hang up my helmet if Bebe ever gives up the ghost

K1200-K1300; the greatest Roadster/Sport-touring motorcycle ever produced.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Old 07-06-2015, 04:11 PM
The Dude abides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR1956
. . . I may just hang up my helmet if Bebe ever gives up the ghost . . . .

Whoa, there big guy... we love the KS, but lets not get too carried away. Relax and have faith. If BMW does not provide for us, another manufacturer will step up in its place.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750
I'm pretty sure the fact that BMW is touting their new ABS Pro system on all the currently announced 2016 bikes means the K1300S is truly done. None of the new systems, like ABS Pro, DSC, cruise control or the 2nd gen quickshift will work without a drive by wire throttle. So they will try and sell everyone on the "S1000 I can do everything" platform as a viable replacement. The thing is, I didn't buy the K1300S because it was a BMW, I bought it in spite of that fact. I'm pretty sure many others did too. So when I'm ready for a new bike, if BMW doesn't have a real replacement for the K1300S, I'll go looking elsewhere. And by real replacements, I mean big engine, shaft drive with hossack front suspension with all the best electronic systems available at the time.
Well, since BMW is the only one making a bike with Hossack suspension, what you are saying is that if you can get a big engine, shaft drive and electronic goodies from another manufacturer you are interested, but if it has a BMW badge and no Hossack, you are not.

The thing is the K-S type bikes are a dying breed, regardless of manufacturer. There just aren't a lot of big, powerful sporty bikes out there. And with your desire for shaft drive, there really is only one. They are loved by those that own one, but they don't sell in the grand scheme of things. People want smaller and lighter, not bigger and heavier. And most that don't mind the bulk and weight, also want more comfort so they lean more towards GT/FJR/etc.

We're the freaks of the motorcycle industry.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister
People want smaller and lighter, not bigger and heavier.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Wouldn't mind something like that Bernardo. Except that gas here costs about $8/gallon

Old 07-07-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister
Wouldn't mind something like that Bernardo. Except that gas here costs about $8/gallon

That's the point!! Who cares about consumption if you have a 170HP bike or a black beast like that. People like to show itself rich, beautiful and powerful

If not, Citroen 2CV and Vespa
Old 07-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
That's the point!! Who cares about consumption if you have a 170HP bike or a black beast like that. People like to show itself rich, beautiful and powerful

If not, Citroen 2CV and Vespa
Sorry, I don't get it. Nobody is making references to mopeds, but not everybody wants to ride a 260kg bike that's like 2 meters long. They want the power, but they don't want to manhandle the weight and size of a bike like the K1300S. Most people also don't ride more than like 2500 miles per year and don't want the handling compromise of a big autobahn burner. And those that do run long distances generally want more comfort than a semi sport bike can offer.

If you want to do car analogies, than the full blown sport bike is like a Porsche 911 GT3: extremely fast with amazing handling, but totally backbreaking comfort on long distance. A GT/FJR is like a Bentley Continental GT: surprisingly fast and great handling for the size and weight of the car, and unrivaled comfort. Our bikes are more like an older Corvette: extremely fast, pretty comfortable, great looking but handling isn't quite there.

But most people rather have a BMW M4 instead of that old Corvette, as it is more reliable, faster, weighs less, handles almost like that GT3, is a hell of lot cheaper than the Continental and has pretty good comfort that lets you drive it all day long.

Let's face it, we're a minority in the big scheme of things motorcycle.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Shooting the gap

I am stopping at a BMW dealer on my way to the office tomorrow (130 miles each way) to pick up a tank bag, they have offered me any demo bike for the day. So I've looked at every spec of every bike on the BMW site. With the exception of the sthou, nothing else has the bhp and torque, and as for the k bike being heavy, nothing in the lineup (s and f excluded) is much lighter, if not heavier. So I'm inclined not to bother .
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Soofsayer' for this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Some interesting analogies being tossed out here. I have a KS HP so it's a few pounds lighter than the standard KS but I like the weight. On the highway it doesn't get blown around by cars and trucks like a lighter bike would. I'm big enough (6'1" @200ish) so the weight seems really comfortable to me. I don't do the ride to Canada and back trips so I'm not putting a bunch of miles on my bike and it will last a lifetime. I'm not a true knee dragger so the handling seems to be all I need and more. The power, speed, and acceleration are more than enough too. Would I like to have 300HP....yes but just to know it's there. I'd rather think of it as like to a new Corvette. Maybe not a 458 Ferrari but close enough. The sound with the Akrapovic exhaust is pure music. The bags are a pain in the ass but anything bigger would look like crap. I think BMW should have put all the carbon fiber parts that the HP has on all the KS bikes because it looks richer. I'm not a fan of Italian bikes because they sound like lawn movers to me. For what I do the KS is the best all around choice. #419 is staying with me for a long long time.

2012 K1300S HP #419

Past BMW
1996 K1100RS Nice bike
Other Previous rides
96 HD Fatboy custom
94 HD Sportster
96 HD Sportster Wifes
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Manxbuilder' for this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 02:45 PM
The Dude abides.

If they do not replace the K1300, compromises will have to be made. We all agree on that. The point is- I will not compromise in a way that benefits BMW as I do not wish to reward them for abandoning this model. If need be, I will give up the shaft drive, etc. and buy a Kawasaki Ninja ZZR14 or whatever new model of Suzuki Hayabusa is released, toss on a set of bar risers and luggage and go on with life. Since those bikes have MSRPs that are about $6K less than the KS, I really don't care if the warranty is shorter. Even after I add every possible accessory, I will still have change left over versus a new BMW. Engine Size and Power and Bike size and weight are the criteria which will drive my decision. Other items are nice to have, but I will evaluate substitutions on a case by case basis. Everyone has already said this and they are correct- if BMW does not continue- the KS with its fantastic combination of power, suspension and shaft drive has gone the way of the DoDo bird... so each of us will have to decide how to prioritize these various features when choosing which we live without when we purchase a replacement... I for one will drive my KS as long as I am able. I hope to be around here in 10 years telling everyone how my old bike with 100,000 plus miles is holding up.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FLHRSI' for this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 03:15 PM
K-bike addict...part time mod
Thanked 1,459 Times in 670 Posts

Send a message via MSN to K-Man! Send a message via Skype™ to K-Man!

To a fan of a K bike, saying to get over it and get something lighter and shorter wheel base is like saying give up full cream milk, bacon and eggs, alcohol and join the rest of the followers, jap copying, chain driven mass produced stuff! We know what we ride is legendary and represents something special, and only a true connoisseur can appreciate it. I, like many on this site, look through motorcycle websites, comparing specs and information, and see nothing that comes even close to the R or S, and therefore plan to be faithful to this bike for a long time to come...
Throttlemeister you're welcome to get smaller and lighter, but you're not infecting the rest of us with your virus

...when in doubt, twist the throttle and go for it...

The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K-Man!' for this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 03:26 PM

I agree with K13S@man. I can respect Jap bikes but I have no use for one myself. I wouldn't even consider it. If this K13S HP is my last bike then I will be happy. If a K16S is in the future then we shall see. I don't need to go any faster than this one will go because the wind is fierce at over 100 and this, as we know, is far faster than that. I rarely go faster than 135 and that is fast enough. This K13S is far superior to my last K11Rs in agility and performance that I don't think I need anything more. I'll never wear this one out and I always keep my cars and bikes in pristine condition at all times. All my stuff looks brand new even when their 20 years old. I just don't beat or wear out anything other than clothes. If you want a Jap or Italian bike then good for you. Not me. BMW loyalist.

2012 K1300S HP #419

Past BMW
1996 K1100RS Nice bike
Other Previous rides
96 HD Fatboy custom
94 HD Sportster
96 HD Sportster Wifes
Old 07-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13S@man
To a fan of a K bike, saying to get over it and get something lighter and shorter wheel base is like saying give up full cream milk, bacon and eggs, alcohol and join the rest of the followers, jap copying, chain driven mass produced stuff! We know what we ride is legendary and represents something special, and only a true connoisseur can appreciate it. I, like many on this site, look through motorcycle websites, comparing specs and information, and see nothing that comes even close to the R or S, and therefore plan to be faithful to this bike for a long time to come...
Throttlemeister you're welcome to get smaller and lighter, but you're not infecting the rest of us with your virus
If a heavy, shaft-driven, long wheelbase bike that won't be blown about the road is what you are after, you may want to have a look at the Goldwing as it ticks most of those boxes.

Different strokes for different folks, but put me in Throttlemeister's camp, I'll have the more agile bike please. While I'm not a fan of the "beak bikes" [from a visual perspective], I sat on a S1000XR and think I could reel off a lot of miles in comfort while absolutely assaulting the twisty bits of tarmac when they showed up.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:33 PM

I'd give up riding before going back to Jap bikes myself. The thought of a Gold Wing makes my skin crawl. An S2000RR with a drive shaft might be interesting but after riding a 1300 I really don't want a smaller displacement bike and a K1600GT is like a Gold Wing to me. If riding a Harley is like driving a Kenworth the a Gold Wing or K16GT is like driving a Cadillac station wagon. The K13S really is a nice in between bike. To each his own.

2012 K1300S HP #419

Past BMW
1996 K1100RS Nice bike
Other Previous rides
96 HD Fatboy custom
94 HD Sportster
96 HD Sportster Wifes
Old 07-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

That is spot on.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Soofsayer' for this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Shooting the gap

@MattB

How the F do you equate a K1300S to a Honda Goldwing?

560lbs to 898lbs is not even the same universe. Shit, the K1600GTL is only 768lbs, so that's not even comparable to a Goldwing. BTW, all those weights are wet.

Anyway, if you are so unhappy with the way the K1300S handles and weighs, then by all means go get something shorter, smaller and lighter. For me, I like a bike that is in the low to mid 500lbs range wet. I ride a lot, bike is my only transportation, and I don't like getting blown around by wind or other vehicles. So a bike in that weight range is a good compromise between stability and light weight. Would I like the wheel base to be short? Yeah, that would help around town and in the really tight twisty stuff, but that is a lower priority than all the other stuff that the K1300S hits on my check list.

I'm not really looking for a new bike for the next 3 years or so, but I'd like to see BWM keep the KS around in some form because it is such a great platform. If they did another refinement iteration and updated all the electronics, added half a gallon to the fuel capacity an gave it a bump to 1400cc and a bit more HP that would be perfect. All any of us want is an evolution of the bike, not a completely new bike. But I can see BMWs desire to consolidate power plants and platforms, so I can understand why this is the end of the line for the KS as it exists now. But if they were to use a reworked version of the K1600 engine(shorter stroke, bigger bore) and keep the weight were it is now, that might be something I could move onto. The question is wether they will do it or not?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
@MattB

How the F do you equate a K1300S to a Honda Goldwing?

560lbs to 898lbs is not even the same universe. Shit, the K1600GTL is only 768lbs, so that's not even comparable to a Goldwing. BTW, all those weights are wet.

I'll start by simply saying my post was made tongue in cheek... it's often hard to accurately convey sarcasm in writing. That said, there was a bit of [albeit small] seriousness to what I was saying as well. I mention it often actually, we are all different (and that IS okay). While some of you claim to love the weight and long wheelbase of the KS the way it is, there are others out there that would prefer for it to be 100 pounds lighter if it were optional. No, I didn't really mean to compare a KS to a Goldwing.... gawd no, but when is enough [weight] enough?

Using the Goldwing as an example, I know folks that are loyalists and have had multiple generations of the bike. Several of them wish the bike wasn't so damn large and heavy, you realize that even the GW was not always so cumbersome right? I guess what I'm saying is that the KS at it's weight that you love now and the GT(L) are only a few growth iterations from being the same bike.

Quote:
Anyway, if you are so unhappy with the way the K1300S handles and weighs, then by all means go get something shorter, smaller and lighter.

Appreciate the advise, but I'll note that I've already sold mine a few years back. It wasn't the end all/be all for ME. That's not to say that it isn't or can't be for anyone else. THAT in fact IS my point... why rag on Throttlemeister for wishing the bike was lighter? How's that different then some of you liking it heavy? What is Heavy anyway?

Like I mentioned earlier (in this thread I think), I am leaning toward the Aprilia Tuono as my next bike. I have some reservations, mostly around USA dealer network and parts availability. Should I jump I'll need to figure out how to create some luggage capacity on it and I think it will make a great sport touring bike FOR ME YMMV

Old 07-07-2015, 05:05 PM
The Dude abides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
If a heavy, shaft-driven, long wheelbase bike that won't be blown about the road is what you are after, you may want to have a look at the Goldwing as it ticks most of those boxes.

Do you actually ride a bike or are you one of those people that just spend their time posting and reading about them?? I don't think anyone in their right mind would agree with what you just said.. If it was even remotely the case, this thread wouldn't even be so hotly debated.... We would all just be asking each other when the new K1600GT we ordered was coming in.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:09 PM
The Dude abides.

Ah. Sarcasm. My bad..
The new Aprilia is nice but still too small for my taste.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHRSI
Do you actually ride a bike
Occasionally, not as often as I'd like I admit.

Quote:
If it was even remotely the case, this thread wouldn't even be so hotly debated.... We would all just be asking each other when the new K1600GT we ordered was coming in.
Truth is, as was already stated by other rocks in the head folks in this thread, the K-S is NOT a big seller. Heck, Honda (yes I know, it's Japanese ) built a bike VERY similar (electronics packages exempted) to the K-S which was the VFR1200. It missed the mark on what the VFR loyalists wanted so badly that it's lifetime was VERY short. Why didn't the VFR faithful like it? Most thought it was too damned heavy and long.... go figure

Edit: I'll add, I think the real issue here is for the folks that are true BMW loyalists. With BMW abandoning this bike, there is NOT anything like it within their lineup for the folks that find it a perfect bike for them.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 PM
The Dude abides.

I have never ridden a VFR but from what I read I thought the issue was they couldn't perfect the automatic transmission??

Anyway, the KS had a very nice run in both 12 and 13 sizes. I wish I got in on the action earlier but grateful I have a 2015 model that should last me a long time.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
I have never ridden a VFR but from what I read I thought the issue was they couldn't perfect the automatic transmission??

Anyway, the KS had a very nice run in both 12 and 13 sizes. I wish I got in on the action earlier but grateful I have a 2015 model that should last me a long time.
I don't like speaking for everybody, but as a VFR "loyalist" whom has ridden both the "automatic" and clutch shift VFR1200 I'd say that the biggest issues with Honda's implementation were:

1) the looks were polarizing (love/hate... seemed to be more hate)
2) weight ... most were hoping for a shaving of some weight, instead she had been eating from the buffet
3) price... Japanese buyers were not ready for what they considered "BMW pricing"
4) competition.... the K-S was the competition. Considering prices were close, the K offered more electronics at a similar price and didn't have the polarizing looks of the VFR.

Anyway, hijack over... I feel for those of you that find the K-S the perfect bike because as you already know BMW offers nothing comparable at the moment.... hold onto your ride.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:38 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,180 Posts

As mentioned above, some folks put miles on their K. I ride my K bike 2 to 4000 miles on single summer trips, generally several times a summer. No way I would ride my S bike to southern Utah from Seattle. Just not ready for that kind of beating. When my K bike has done it's last, I'll be picking another up on the used market. My only worry is parts. The S1000XR is the sign of the times but no K bike.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

I was a VFR loyalist, back when they had gear driven cams. Once they abandoned that, Honda lost their way. Anway, the issue with the VFR1200 was that it was designed by a multitude of committees and each one had a different goal and none talked to any of the other committees. So what they produced was a bike with weird, some say hideous styling that I have never warmed to, it's just too weird and not a good weird. That was too heavy to be a Sport-tourer, but had too small a gas tank and got too low mpg to be a sport-Tourer. The handling out of the box sucked and the front suspension was non-adjustable so to fix it cost $$ and the bike was neutered in the first 3 gears, only got full throttle in 4, 5 and 6. And it had a valve train from their dirt bikes for the sole reason of packaging, not because it was better for the bike. And they wanted BMW money for the bike and were so afraid of what people would think that at the Long Beach motorcycle show in december, they didn't put the price on it till myself and a bunch of other people demanded to know what it was. They also hid the weight and MPG.

They had a phenomenal package in the VFR800 that they almost ruined with the stupid v-tech engine. What people really wanted was take the 1999-2001 VFR800 and evolve it with a bigger engine. Most would have been happy with 1000cc and 150ish hp if they kept the weight about the same(525lbs wet)

Now Honda has dropped back and punted by reviving the v-tech VFR800, so any good will that anyone that ever rode a VFR750 or a pre-v-tech VFR800 has long been lost. They are just too out of touch.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post:
Old 07-08-2015, 03:38 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,261 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
You might do like I did, read the handwriting on the wall and get one NOW. All too soon they will be all gone. There may be better bikes out there in the future, there may not.

I think you're right. My dealer told me that when BMW were talking about bikes for 2016 they didn't mention the K1300 at all. This mirrors what the chap at Garmisch said.
BMW R90S
Old 07-08-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
.........I, like many on this site, look through motorcycle websites, comparing specs and information, and see nothing that comes even close to the R or S, and therefore plan to be faithful to this bike for a long time to come...

A month ago I would have been one of the "remaining faithful" brigade. Then I decided that I just wanted one bike to sit alongside my HP2 Sport - which for me is an absolute keeper. I rode my Ducati Diavel just to confirm that it was a nice itch to have scratched but wasn't suitable for my longer terms needs, particularly touring capability. The K1300S has been a great bike but isn't at its best if it's tight and twisty, and our tours always do tight and twisty. Then I rode the XR. The one thing it doesn't have is shaft drive and the suspension is conventional. However, the suspension is well sorted and I can live with oiling a chain. It is at least as quick as the K1300. The weather protection isn't as good, but good enough. It can handle the tight and twists better. So I will be sad to see the K1300 go, but all good things come to an end.
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 07-08-2015, 04:44 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
The K1300S has been a great bike but isn't at its best if it's tight and twisty, and our tours always do tight and twisty.

Which is why I went for the K1300R... the wider/higher bars really do make a difference... the compromise is wind/weather protection & top speed (but the R is cheaper of course). Each to their own. It sells even less than the S & isn't even available in some countries... ??
2002 R1150GS
2001 F650GS
1999 R1100GS
1997 F650
1995 F650
Old 07-08-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog
Which is why I went for the K1300R... the wider/higher bars really do make a difference... the compromise is wind/weather protection & top speed (but the R is cheaper of course). Each to their own. It sells even less than the S & isn't even available in some countries... ??

I can understand that. The XR has even higher and wider bars so turning it in is easy peasy.
BMW R90S
Old 07-08-2015, 06:18 AM

Gotta wonder why some people ever bought a KS or R in the first place after reading this thread. They always were a big bike and did`nt put on weight once they were taken home so if they`re too big and too powerful why buy one in the first place when there are plenty smaller lighter bikes to choose from. I enjoy my Ks every time I ride it and am firmly planted in same camp as those who will keep it as long as I can and if BMW choose to dump it then they are dumping me as a customer. Rant over.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
So I will be sad to see the K1300 go, but all good things come to an end.

I stopped at the dealer this morning and respectfully declined the offer of a demo bike for the day. I lay awake half the night thinking of what to ride and came to the conclusion I want to the ride the KR, and maybe a KS on the longer journeys. Problem is I have only room for 2 bikes at the moment, and the HP4 is staying put. Add in the exclusivity of the KR (around 342 in the UK) compared to the KS (1,600) and I have my answer.

Discussed new K13 bikes, the dealer can't place any more orders for them, so that is it folks.

A comment earlier in the thread about the end of the K bike being a problem for BMW loyalists - I must disagree. I bought the KR for the bike it is, not because of the badge. Infact my opinion of BMW bikes before the KR was based on those big GS bikes which I just dont like (that may change). Staying with BMW is convenient because I know the K model well now and have the same point of contact for service / warranty for both my bikes.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

I just booked my bike in for tyre switch for the CSS in August, and spoke to the BMW sales manager. He can still order K1300S and K1300R.
So they may be finished elsewhere, but not here in Australia, not yet anyway.
They also said that BMW plan there models 6 years in advance, so whatever they are doing, they already know about it, and that all the new technology would have to eventually come over to the newer model, if that's the way they are going.

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 07-10-2015, 03:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

It's not beyond imagination that the next development of the K engine would be a 3 cylinder turbo with displacement at/under 1k cc. That would be consistent with the direction BMW car design has been taken the last few years. The smaller K (in other words, K1300S/R/GT) would be a good platform to test the new radical engine.

Wouldn't it be the coolest bike!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:20 PM
The Dude abides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
As mentioned above, some folks put miles on their K. I ride my K bike 2 to 4000 miles on single summer trips, generally several times a summer. No way I would ride my S bike to southern Utah from Seattle. Just not ready for that kind of beating. When my K bike has done it's last, I'll be picking another up on the used market. My only worry is parts. The S1000XR is the sign of the times but no K bike.

Hopefully we are good on parts until at least 2022, which is 7 years after the last production year 2015. Presumably, BMW would keep producing replacement parts at least until the expiration of the extended warranty... at least I would hope...
Old 07-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,782 Times in 2,054 Posts

Ok, FWIW, I heard today, from my new salesman at my new dealer (don't know his track record yet) that the 'new' K13S replacement is not a) my guess- an electronically optioned updated version of the current bike, or b) even a 1300cc machine!

He's telling me he's hearing a K16S machine, a slim down version of a K16GT, and it will skip a model year, or be introduced all by itself on the half year. Of course when you ask how anyone knows, they just shrug their shoulders, or just say 'that's what I'm hearing.'

FWIW

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 07-17-2015, 10:24 PM
Nice day for somethin'

I know I've posted it here before, but I really do believe this to be true, very strongly:

It will have to be one hell of a machine to get the next OXCART plate. Meanwhile, I will totally enjoy my 2013 black-on-black-on-black K1300S, OXCART3.

Seeya
ATB
Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Twisted Wrister

Son wanted a K13 and called SJBMW, they said one left then no more. He bought it.